Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Last Month This Month

West Cork 32.46
    Aurivo 30.5
    Dairygold 30
    Glanbia 30.5 DOWN 1.0 cent 29.5 INCL 0.5cent from coop fund
    Kerry 30.5 DOWN 1.0 cent 29.5
    Arrabawn 30.71
    Lakeland 31.28 DOWN 0.5 cent 30.78
    Strathroy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,728 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I don't think you should be including the top up payment on glanbias price tbh. Lakelands etc dont have the luxury of a top up. Base price is 29 cpl. No point dressing it up. Compare like with like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

30c and lower is very slack..

This is the type of cut that creeps up on you. Your milk cheque holds looking pretty good because of solids lifting, but you'll be short a chyt load of money by the year end..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

tanko wrote: »
    So they're only getting 0.5c/l less than a supplier who has signed a MSA?

Do they get the bonuses for solids, protein etc?

No bonuses for solids, the base price is for 3.3p and 3.6bf, as solids increase/ decrease the price is adjusted accordingly. Bonuses may be there for scc etc so don't know about that

Whelan, I did reply to you but it seems to have got lost in the ether.
    Know you are affected by Glanbia price. I'm comparing the price you're paid, base price. It also happens to include vat which the processor doesn't provide at all. Other processors have previously given top ups/price support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Doesn't bode well with brexit around the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭farmertipp

A no deal brexit could knock off 3 to 4cent.
    We will have a lot to complain about then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Kerry down 1 cent to 29.5 ffs

Just try to stay positive and look at the positives.

At least managements bonuses are safe from this cut.

Yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭jaymla627

whelan2 wrote: »
    I don't think you should be including the top up payment on glanbias price tbh. Lakelands etc dont have the luxury of a top up. Base price is 29 cpl. No point dressing it up. Compare like with like

Did you look into changing to Lakeland I think the gentleman’s agreement between glanbia and them is over got that secondhand from a lad so no idea the truth in it

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Did you look into changing to Lakeland I think the gentleman’s agreement between glanbia and them is over got that secondhand from a lad so no idea the truth in it

Have an msa signed now with the new liquid deal so am stuck . :( unless anyone knows a way out

• Advertisement

Have an msa signed now with the new liquid deal so am stuck . :( unless anyone knows a way out

There may be a way out, but unfortunately Whelan, there's probably no way in..

After the initial scatter of suppliers, ICOS got the processors to agree that they would not take any supplier that was under contract with another, and would not take an "uncontracted" supplier without their previous processor getting 3 months notice...

Maybe there's a glitch like changing trading structure or entity, but reckon the resistance from hierarchy would be immense..

I'm thinking out loud but could my son supply some one else from my premises?

Set up a second herd in his name, with second yard and land, new supplier. Check Strathroy, not affiliated to ICOS!!!

Water John wrote: »
    Set up a second herd in his name, with second yard and land, new supplier. Check Strathroy, not affiliated to ICOS!!!

Have a second parlour etc on outfarm from when I started up. 70 cubicles and guts of an 8 unit parlour.

I'm thinking out loud but could my son supply some one else from my premises?

In glanbia msa it states that any realations have to supply glanbia in the event you cease milk production from your property and they take over , it couldnt be legally binding if contested in court as a third party cant be forced to honour a obligation they havent agreed to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I have a feeling this milk price reduction here now is being used as insurance against the looming harvest disaster in the U.S. cornbelt.

Our good prices in 2015 was the result of the drought in California and the effects of thereof on the Californian dairy industry.

Prices here drop in cents but rise in half cents. Doing it now provides some leeway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

In glanbia msa it states that any realations have to supply glanbia in the event you cease milk production from your property and they take over , it couldnt be legally binding if contested in court as a third party cant be forced to honour a obligation they havent agreed to

That's some joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Have a second parlour etc on outfarm from when I started up. 70 cubicles and guts of an 8 unit parlour.

Why not supply glanbia out of that one and Strathroy in the new one :p

I have a feeling this milk price reduction here now is being used as insurance against the looming harvest disaster in the U.S. cornbelt.

Our good prices in 2015 was the result of the drought in California and the effects of thereof on the Californian dairy industry.

Prices here drop in cents but rise in half cents. Doing it now provides some leeway.

The only harvest disaster in the US is low prices according to agriland today. Stocks up not down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

farmertipp wrote: »
    The only harvest disaster in the US is low prices according to agriland today. Stocks up not down

There's some say that's an industry bluff to get supplies forward bought cheaper.
    A few months will reveal the answer.

• Advertisement

farmertipp wrote: »

There's some say that's an industry bluff to get supplies forward bought cheaper.
    A few months will reveal the answer.

I hope you are right.. we could still see a drought having an effect on supply in southern hemisphere as well.

See Siobhán and Martin where filling their sacks with plc shares all the while pulling 24 million out of our own pockets with milk price cuts, how a man can be impartial and on the side of milk suppliers while having such a vested interest in the plc re personal investments is mind boggling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Arrabawn dropped full cent to 29.71 vat inc ,some ****e about butter price dropping which it is tbf nothing about skim price rising or supply dropping across some of the big producing areas ,we didn’t get the full whack or anywhere close when butter was over 6 k a tonne

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Arrabawn dropped full cent to 29.71 vat inc ,some ****e about butter price dropping which it is tbf nothing about skim price rising or supply dropping across some of the big producing areas ,we didn’t get the full whack or anywhere close when butter was over 6 k a tonne

Aurivo down half a cent to 30 including vat. Once one went they all go. Glanbia give them the excuse

mahoney_j wrote: »

To be fair the likes of Arrabawn/Lakeland’s aren’t taking a massive margin as can be seen by their 2018 accounts, stainless steel been put up has to be paid for and the supplier is carrying the tab, your right that markets are returning 31 cent where the butter excuse is used, but you’d wonder is britexit been factored in so instead of a 5-6 cent drop in October we are been eased into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

To be fair the likes of Arrabawn/Lakeland’s aren’t taking a massive margin as can be seen by their 2018 accounts, stainless steel been put up has to be paid for and the supplier is carrying the tab, your right that markets are returning 31 cent where the butter excuse is used, but you’d wonder is britexit been factored in so instead of a 5-6 cent drop in October we are been eased into it

Brexit is totally unknown tho at this stage as regards if they’ll def go and if they do will they crash out ,no one knows ,everyone gets a margin bar the ejet at the coal face every day

Last Month This Month

West Cork 32.46
    Aurivo 30.5 DOWN 0.5 cent 30
    Dairygold 30
    Glanbia 30.5 DOWN 1.0 cent 29.5 INCL 0.5cent from coop fund
    Kerry 30.5 DOWN 1.0 cent 29.5
    Arrabawn 30.71 DOWN 1.0 cent 29.71
    Lakeland 31.28 DOWN 0.5 cent 30.78
    Strathroy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭mf240

If you die suddenly, your family can't bury you unless they have someone organised to milk for a few days. It's in the really fine print. :D:D

Quiet a number of things at play. Ornua is returning the 31c for a basket of goods if your coop supplies that basket profile. Also I'm interested to know if ornua are taking the same percentage product from each supplier that it did during quotas. What I mean is, if milk production has increased by 50%, have Ornua sales increased by 50%? I'm suspicious that coops are left to their own devices to sell much more product than they have had to historically, or have the capability of selling.

I'm also led to believe that some coops have huge numbers of new enterant application of late, so big that decisions will need to be taken as to whether these will be accepted, or if coops will have to go down the route of further stainless steel costs to cater for this new enterant milk.

And the debate is surfacing in board rooms as to who should pay for this, with one board with proposals mooted for an increased fee for new milk..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Alps if I remember correctly that was Glanbias original idea, a 2sec levy on all milk over your quota supply (which meant a 100% levy for new entrants) to pay for stainless, that idea got dropped when Stathroy came into the market and stole a good few Wexford suppliers.

Advertisement