Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Long term leases arrangement where sfp is involved are pretty messy to get out off, tax-free money on lease has to be paid back and then a bad tenant could pocket the sfp and tell landlord to sing for it, to be fair if milk drops to sub 25 cent and a bad year weather wise with rents at 200 acre plus along with handing back sfp no standalone dairy business could afford to pay it, would.be using outside money to cover it

Then, if a tenant can’t afford the land, they should be turfed out and the land rented to someone who can. Tying up an important raw material with a waster is crazy because it’s only holding back the ‘better’ farmers.

I’ve taken as much conacre as any. The golden, unbreakable rule, is to always pay for land. One fcuk up and the conacre market/landlords never forget.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Then, if a tenant can’t afford the land, they should be turfed out and the land rented to someone who can. Tying up an important raw material with a waster is crazy because it’s only holding back the ‘better’ farmers.

I’ve taken as much conacre as any. The golden, unbreakable rule, is to always pay for land. One fcuk up and the conacre market/landlords never forget.

Absolute 100 %.rent out something yourself and let the tennent fall behind it dont be long be long making you cranky. That and always have the gates hanging by the road- most landlords only see that much and gives a good impression to a fella that might be thinking of letting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Slippery slope.
    If a tenant can’t pay, he shouldn’t be in there.
    A family tragedy or the like is understandable, but short on cash to pay for raw material, no way.

As you say, take it case by case, it's not as if I need it to put food on the table, too old now to have the energy to spend it.
    Even though one of my tenant as a couple thousand acres grain he also has 35 tractors on road projects around the country, he also has the art of soil stabilisation perfected too so an able operator.
    I'd meet his men on my farm sometimes they tell me if they're not up early enough there wouldn't be a tractor to be got in the yard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Remember, a lad throwing up long term lease really fecks up the income wayleave with the taxman for the retired landowner.
    Know a man who owns a good bit of commercial property. When the downturn hit, if a tenant was under pressure, he renegotiated rent downwards. He would be tough but having an empty premises is no good either.
    A bit of give on both sides maybe, in special circumstances.
    It also makes the case of not leasing to the highest bidder, but factor in reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Zeebsisgone654

Can’t be just a open shop re the co-op supplying the processing ability for new entrants coming in with 100’s of cows day one, would have zero issues with say the average milk supply sent per supplier for 2018 been the amount of milk a new entrant could supply with the 2000 share buy-in, and after this you pay a charge for every litre after this, our should it be a free for all like could easily develop with the need for another couple of hundred million spent on processing and the knock on effects to milk price
    For every 1 million litres per week extra processing capacity, 12 million euro needs to be found, new formulas will be needed in the future probably tiered in some way or another in the number of shares

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

For every 1 million litres per week extra processing capacity, 12 million euro needs to be found, new formulas will be needed in the future probably tiered in some way or another in the number of shares

1million litres per week will mean an additional 31.5million litres per annum.

If this costs €12 million, then the cost of adding capacity for each litre is 38c..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

was talking to alad in the co op the other day, he reckons 1cent cut next month and month afterwards. Our co op sells very little into the uk

Definitely something gone tits up with our capability of selling product..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

alps wrote: »

its worrying, will overseas buyers play different co ops off each other when buying with uncertainties ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Was it ever there with the co-op?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭jaymla627

kevthegaff wrote: »
    was talking to alad in the co op the other day, he reckons 1cent cut next month and month afterwards. Our co op sells very little into the uk

West-cork co-ops are seriously exposed and still paying well above the bigger co-ops, hard deal britexit in theory should put their milk price back by 10 cent over-night, be some land to take for them boys given their used to been top of the pile

West-cork co-ops are seriously exposed and still paying well above the bigger co-ops, hard deal britexit in theory should put their milk price back by 10 cent over-night, be some land to take for them boys given their used to been top of the pile

I better go over and lay a few blocks for the mozzarella plant.

Even if the West Cork boys dip temporarily, they will bounce back. Have been hearing for 30 years that they can't sustain the price.
    Remember the original master plan that the four would amalgamate with DG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I find it AMAZING that a CoOp of farmers, a CoOperation of farmers would be doing anything deliberate, the only possible purpose of which would be to weaken neighbouring farmers and their own farmers pockets

It should be governed by the directors fiduciary duty
    Weakening other CoOp's weakens price which whether they believe it or not ultimately weakens their CoOp

There should be no CoOp director or manager on a related plc board
    That's a conflict of interest
    Not saying a CoOp shouldn't have board members on a plc they have shares in ,just not the same people
    Only then can you have proper a CoOp' as opposed to the lackey's we have now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Water John wrote: »
    Even if the West Cork boys dip temporarily, they will bounce back. Have been hearing for 30 years that they can't sustain the price.
    Remember the original master plan that the four would amalgamate with DG.

Don’t believe that shore west cork is a major thorn in the side of the big players like dairygold and glanbia .west cork coops have a real sound financial footing

That was the ICOS blueprint. Lucky West Cork or the farmers there weren't interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Slight fall in GDT, butter, skim and cheese all holding steady.
    wlTuxcd.jpg

Slight fall in GDT, butter, skim and cheese all holding steady.
    wlTuxcd.jpg

Butter making more on the GDT than our coops are shifting it for...

Mooo, your concern about their sales capabilities might be well founded

Water John wrote: »
    That was the ICOS blueprint. Lucky West Cork or the farmers there weren't interested.

We are a bit odd i suppose.like to keep to ourselves. just watching house of commons so in future i think it should be boards code of behaviour that all posts should begin with "my right honourable friend ".it would take the sting out of beef protest thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭tanko

A Glanbia supplier told me today that Glanbia aren't taking on any new suppliers. Is this true?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

tanko wrote: »
    A Glanbia supplier told me today that Glanbia aren't taking on any new suppliers. Is this true?

They have to take on CoOp members
    There a lot of dry or tillage CoOp members
    So the door is effectively permanently open

No they don't if they cannot provide them with a service.

Dairygold has launched Pastureland – the cooperative’s guarantee that its suppliers’ milk is “sourced from grass-fed cows who graze naturally on lush, nutrient-rich pastures”.

In a statement, a spokesperson for Dairygold Food Ingredients said: “Pastureland is our guarantee that our grass-fed milk is of the highest quality, is sustainable and naturally nourishing.

“Our member data shows that our cows graze outdoors for 270 days on average on a diet of grass and white clover.”

The spokesperson highlighted that its suppliers’ cows have a 97% grass-based diet on open pastures to produce milk “that has scientifically proven health benefits”.

This is going from laughable to obscene....97% grass based diet.....me hole....

Glanbia cows are only 96.5%

Where's the bonus???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Dairygold has launched Pastureland – the cooperative’s guarantee that its suppliers’ milk is “sourced from grass-fed cows who graze naturally on lush, nutrient-rich pastures”.

In a statement, a spokesperson for Dairygold Food Ingredients said: “Pastureland is our guarantee that our grass-fed milk is of the highest quality, is sustainable and naturally nourishing.

“Our member data shows that our cows graze outdoors for 270 days on average on a diet of grass and white clover.”

The spokesperson highlighted that its suppliers’ cows have a 97% grass-based diet on open pastures to produce milk “that has scientifically proven health benefits”.

This is going from laughable to obscene....97% grass based diet.....me hole....

Glanbia cows are only 96.5%
    The nutrients are in the Blackwater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,724 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Any idea for August milk price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭jaymla627

whelan2 wrote: »
    Any idea for August milk price?

Glanbia will pull another cent I’d reckon but will probably up cookie jar money a cent to hold price with it been ploughing match week

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭moneyheer

Really not good enough is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,724 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

moneyheer wrote: »
    Really not good enough is it?

Nope , but they can get away with it.

Advertisement