Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

alps wrote: »
    These cuts are far greater than 1c..

The 1c is for base milk at 3.6/3.3...

In reality for most, each 1c cut of base equals 1.2/1.3 c.....must work it out later

On 1million litres each 1c cut could be 15/16k

Hadn't thought of that!
    Wonder what the processor's will do with the money?
    They might wait for the 20 reg's before they renew the company cars?
    Or perhaps a better cut of beef at the information meeting dinners?
    First class for the committee members trips to America instead of mere business class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭mf240

Would be a good idea for an app, if you could put in your solids and it told you the price it would make in each individual creamery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,724 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

mf240 wrote: »
    Would be a good idea for an app, if you could put in your solids and it told you the price it would make in each individual creamery.

We'd only be annoying ourselves, again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Now is the time to kick up whilst the price for milk *should* be good, and not wait until the ass falls out of the market. The beef lads left it very late to kick.

The price difference between you and us is beyond a joke now. In my estimation that’s 26.5 + vat? Disgrace.

Btw, I could organize some duck shyte if needed...:).

What does your processor do with its milk?
    What % goes into premium products sold locally and what % is traded on the global commodity markets?
    How much has it expanded since the end of the quota?
    I fear we may be comparing apples with oranges here. Imo the chickens are beginning to come home to roost with the Irish processors' tactic of expansion to infinity by throwing up dryer after dryer to churn out endless amounts of milk powder as opposed to premium products. The only country that's comparible to us is NZ, whose price isn't great either at the moment I think.

It might be apples and oranges to a small extent but even the IFA dairy market analysis reckons we are being rode by 2 or 3cpl a year regularly versus market returns
    Now on a million litres,that's an awful lot of money

• Advertisement

Courtesy of the IFA :

Irish milk prices falling behind firm and stable prices in Europe

The EU average milk price published for July by the EU Milk Market Observatory (MMO) based on member states’ reports is €33.7/100kgs, slightly above the June €33.5/100kgs price. Between June 2018 and June 2019, the average milk price reported by the EU MMO has increased by 4%, yet the Irish price by only 1%.

The Dutch LTO monthly review of European milk prices also shows that the three Irish co-ops it includes (Glanbia, Kerry and Dairygold) have fallen behind the average for some months. For July milk, this gap widened to 3.3c/l.

The main European milk purchasers have stabilised milk prices for several months now, with Dutch-based but cross-border co-op Friesland Campina paying €35/100kgs for July and August and continuing to hold for September. Arla UK is also holding its milk price for September, the 8th consecutive month, at 30.22p/l, with most other British milk purchasers also holding, in many cases continuing a trend at least 4 to 5 months long. Web-Agri France reports a second quarterly increase, likely linked to this year’s milk shortages in France, of 6% for the average milk price paid to French farmers for July to September, to 34c/l. All European commentators have remarked on the relative stability of milk output globally, and while demand is a mixed picture varying somewhat between world regions, it is far from negative, especially in Asia (China) and America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Lads can huff and puff all they like but since there is over supply ,milk price is only going one direction .Some lads can not get enough land to lease at up on €350/acre to expand so why would any properly run business pay any more then like for milk!!!!

What over supply?
    World production is down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Last year was record year for milk production in this country and production is probably up 8% again from that this year .Glanbia and dairygold are flooded with milk all year ,all they can do is ship it out as powder as fast as possible to make room for more milk coming in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Plc needs cash and fast before years end, easiest way to get it is to slash milk price, the press release about depressed butter markets makes no sense, smp + butter combined is easily returning over 30 cent on world markets

If they're desperate enough to make this cut just before the ploughing match, they'll go again next month. ( and probably use brexit uncertainty as a reason )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That's a choice Glanbia and Dairygold made a long time ago. Once the quotas were going all their planning was simply dryers for SMP and WMP.
    Their line to farmers was, you produce the milk and we'll process it.

Others have attempted diversity and simply using these commodities at peak production time.
    At this stage, Talbot and her key supporters should be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

cute geoge wrote: »
    Last year was record year for milk production in this country and production is probably up 8% again from that this year .Glanbia and dairygold are flooded with milk all year ,all they can do is ship it out as powder as fast as possible to make room for more milk coming in!!!
    I think it was down last year with the drought actually, anyway it's irrelevant Ireland is a drop in the ocean in terms of milk supply compared to the likes of France who are paying 36cpl, as others have said it's easy cut the price of milk and save money for the fcuk ups they've made, ya can be sure they won't take a pay cut or somebody be held accountable for knocking 900 million of the value of the company, it'll be another pay rise next year for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

What does your processor do with its milk?
    What % goes into premium products sold locally and what % is traded on the global commodity markets?
    How much has it expanded since the end of the quota?
    I fear we may be comparing apples with oranges here. Imo the chickens are beginning to come home to roost with the Irish processors' tactic of expansion to infinity by throwing up dryer after dryer to churn out endless amounts of milk powder as opposed to premium products. The only country that's comparible to us is NZ, whose price isn't great either at the moment I think.

My Coop is small with only 1200 producers. They also have a good few goats milk producers, coupled with both cow and goat organic producers.
    Ordinary cows milk production amounts to only 750mln litres.
    The Coop only use a fraction of supply to make a few niche market cheeses and butters. The vast majority of supply is sold on to other processors like Savencia and Lactalis etc.
    The Coop is basically a producers marketing group and works very well. The business is simple and transparent.

There’s a very strong market for milk since production eased. My Coop have, for the third year running, over sold their milk and face penalties for not fulfilling contracts...it’s been hinted that if I produce more milk that they’d waive the production cost.

The only powder that’s being produced is for infant formula in a joint venture with a Chinese company.

There’s only about 600miles between Glanbia and Terra Lacta, but it amounts to nearly 10cpl.
    That’s a mahoosive price differential and it’s largely incredible that such a differential could possibly exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

My Coop is small with only 1200 producers. They also have a good few goats milk producers, coupled with both cow and goat organic producers.
    Ordinary cows milk production amounts to only 750mln litres.
    The Coop only use a fraction of supply to make a few niche market cheeses and butters. The vast majority of supply is sold on to other processors like Savencia and Lactalis etc.
    The Coop is basically a producers marketing group and works very well. The business is simple and transparent.

There’s a very strong market for milk since production eased. My Coop have, for the third year running, over sold their milk and face penalties for not fulfilling contracts...it’s been hinted that if I produce more milk that they’d waive the production cost.

The only powder that’s being produced is for infant formula in a joint venture with a Chinese company.

There’s only about 600miles between Glanbia and Terra Lacta, but it amounts to nearly 10cpl.
    That’s a mahoosive price differential and it’s largely incredible that such a differential could possibly exist.

So none of your milk is ending up in WMP, SMP? At what price differential will it become economic for Irish coops to start supplying french processors, I wonder😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

So none of your milk is ending up in WMP, SMP? At what price differential will it become economic for Irish coops to start supplying french processors, I wonder😀

The 10c would get your milk to Dawgs Coop

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭moneyheer

Just heard that the cut yesterday was the first of five. The idea is to discourage new entrants. Came from a rep that has close contacts in Glanbia. Hope 2 feck he wrong.

moneyheer wrote: »
    Just heard that the cut yesterday was the first of five. The idea is to discourage new entrants. Came from a rep that has close contacts in Glanbia. Hope 2 feck he wrong.

I think an actual policy deciding in advance to cut it to 24c in a message they give of deciding prices monthly would be an outrage deserving of pitch forks and burning lamps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I think an actual policy deciding in advance to cut it to 24c in a message they give of deciding prices monthly would be an outrage deserving of pitch forks and burning lamps

the board that sets milk price have gone on a trip to south Africa I heard this morning, all expenses covered by glanbia (us)

the board that sets milk price have gone on a trip to south Africa I heard this morning, all expenses covered by glanbia (us)

They won't be at the back of the plane either, they'll need their fully flat bed seats so as to be nice and fresh on arrival to learn how to turn rural Ireland into shanty towns with low milk prices

• Advertisement

The 10c would get your milk to Dawgs Coop

Irish milk is worthless here.
    It’s the provenance & terroir that’s important.

In fairness it must cost feck all per ton of milk processed to dry into a powder, bag and paletize, and fire onto a boat...in comparison to producing a boutique cheese etc.

moneyheer wrote: »

Make all suppliers suffer to discourage a few new entrants? Hardly.

I'm sure our tickets to south Africa will arrive with our milk cheques next week. So will they be missing the ploughing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Mortelaro wrote: »

Contact our man in Jo'burg, Van will sort them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

How does 4c/l for 5 years for new milk sound?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭davidk1394

How does 4c/l for 5 years for new milk sound?

Is that a definite ? I was talking to different people and their not sure what’s going to happen. When are the board due to vote ? Everyone in for 2020 is fine but it’s the year after I’m worried about which is when I’m due to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Driving on here the new ‘150’ cow cubicle shed is going together nicely haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Driving on here the new ‘150’ cow cubicle shed is going together nicely haha

36 more going in here.

36 more going in here.

210 going in here. We are mad....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

whelan2 wrote: »
    210 going in here. We are mad....

Are you replacing a shed or adding on?

Advertisement