Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭jaymla627

36 more going in here.

Won’t be a cubicle in that shed, alternative enterprise bit of diversification is no harm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Driving on here the new ‘150’ cow cubicle shed is going together nicely haha

Jay, you seem to have a thing for mobile homes.... just saying..:)")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,722 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mooooo wrote: »
    Are you replacing a shed or adding on?

Both. Whole new build. 10 bay cubicle shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A neighbour bought a parlour and tank this time last year for €5000 and converted a shed to try milking.
    I haven't seen the settup but he's milking 50, he has another business and he doesn't do much of the milking .
    Another neighbour looking for a second hand parlour, he's reseeding the whole farm this week and starting in february.
    One of our sheep group sold his ewes on Wednesday and had 170 incalf heifers delivered this week,
    My hedgecutting contractor is building as well
    I'm waiting for the big bang

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

whelan2 wrote: »
    210 going in here. We are mad....

We'll have 152 with these in. All our Incalf animals will be in the one shed/yard. Will make life alot easier, just scrap down and lime cubicles and feed up. Will be able to look after cows alot better with it.
    We had poor enough facilities for long enough here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Some serious capital investment going on here also, badly needed upgrade on a 50 Yr cubicle shed. I'm putting in a 25cm strip of extra concrete to make the bed longer to accommodate drycows instead of just heifers ha. Will prob still take me 2wks using the electric concrete mixer doing an hr or 2 a day lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'm putting in 6:D

Well, replacing 6 that are broken:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Put in our last cubicles in 2017 and can't see us spending another penny on the yard, bar repairs in a good year

Milking 140 and if that won't do us then it's time to give up altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

wrangler wrote: »
    A neighbour bought a parlour and tank this time last year for €5000 and converted a shed to try milking.
    I haven't seen the settup but he's milking 50, he has another business and he doesn't do much of the milking .
    Another neighbour looking for a second hand parlour, he's reseeding the whole farm this week and starting in february.
    One of our sheep group sold his ewes on Wednesday and had 170 incalf heifers delivered this week,
    My hedgecutting contractor is building as well
    I'm waiting for the big bang
    The lad with the 170 heifers is in for some fun, he's either very naive or very brave, I've a feeling it's the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Panch18 wrote: »
    Put in our last cubicles in 2017 and can't see us spending another penny on the yard, bar repairs in a good year

I find it mad the way lads are increasing numbers, have 110 here this year and if it's stays at that or drops a bit I don't care, a good few of the "top operaters" around here are tied to the farm, no life whatsoever, not even a pint at the weekend, maybe they love it and if they do fair play but I don't see the point in working like a slave milking 250 - 300 cows and then having no time to enjoy doing anything after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

My building is done ,stocked over 4 on milk block feed space and bed for every cow/heifer and 10% spare capacity dropped a fortune expanding cows and facilities since 2010 but don’t regret a penny of it consolidate and improve efficiency now ,glad I’m notvstarting now or in last year or 2 .lads in some rush to expand and some serious twine been dropped by new entrants etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,722 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

the board that sets milk price have gone on a trip to south Africa I heard this morning, all expenses covered by glanbia (us)

Said this to my dad. He replied I hope they are one way tickets :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I find it mad the way lads are increasing numbers, have 110 here this year and if it's stays at that or drops a bit I don't care, a good few of the "top operaters" around here are tied to the farm, no life whatsoever, not even a pint at the weekend, maybe they love it and if they do fair play but I don't see the point in working like a slave milking 250 - 300 cows and then having no time to enjoy doing anything after.

If you've a plan and the land,(not rented land!)theres nothing wrong with serious number increases in my view
    If you've an enthusiastic son or daughter then effectively well maintained its a 40 yr investment not a 20yr one
    I remember my Dad bringing me with him more than 40 yrs ago to borrow to improve
    His words were,this lads taking over when I retire and he'll take on any remaining debt
    That's exactly what happened
    I'm actually looking forward to my retirement now though and I accept none of mine want to be dairy farmers, I don't blame them but have the height of respect for the passion of the expanders
    I used have that passion
    I just hate to see it being pissed on from a height by the processors
    Its immoral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Is that a definite ? I was talking to different people and their not sure what’s going to happen. When are the board due to vote ? Everyone in for 2020 is fine but it’s the year after I’m worried about which is when I’m due to start.

Just one of the proposals. This discussion happening in most board rooms but really in a quandary as to what to do. Make no mistake about it, the current expansion is weighing heavily on milk price and the flood of new applications is causing grave concern..

Again I'll harp beck to it...the alignment of shares to production was a monumental mistake by the industry in 2015...coops licensed the production of enormous volumes of milk..

I know in 1 coop, there are enough shares in circulation to deliver 4 times the capacity of the coop..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

alps wrote: »
    Just one of the proposals. This discussion happening in most board rooms but really in a quandary as to what to do. Make no mistake about it, the current expansion is weighing heavily on milk price and the flood of new applications is causing grave concern..

Again I'll harp beck to it...the alignment of shares to production was a monumental mistake by the industry in 2015...coops licensed the production of enormous volumes of milk..

I know in 1 coop, there are enough shares in circulation to deliver 4 times the capacity of the coop..
    when i started 12 hrs ago I had to share up and adhere to quota, maybe something onto this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Gas thing is the coops that pay.the.most are.getting the.least new supplier s and the crowd that.pay.the least are getting the most.:p

K.G. wrote: »
    Gas thing is the coops that pay.the.most are.getting the.least new supplier s and the crowd that.pay.the least are getting the most.:p

There's not a lot of scope for conversion anywhere else except the East coast. Most around here are milking already and farms in a lot of the Kerry catchment would be too small to convert profitably and probably too small to stay going unless there's a significant premium over current prices available.

The average age of dairy farmers is around 59 so a big proportion will be looking at winding down rather than working harder for more risk and less reward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

Anyone take a punt on the Grennans fixed milk price offering in 2107?

The scheme is scheduled to run from November 1, 2017, to October 31, 2022. If the base price offered by Glanbia falls below 31.5c/L including VAT – for milk manufactured at 3.3% milk protein and 3.6% butterfat – Grennans will pay the farmer the price difference.

alps wrote: »
    Anyone take a punt on the Grennans fixed milk price offering in 2107?

The scheme is scheduled to run from November 1, 2017, to October 31, 2022. If the base price offered by Glanbia falls below 31.5c/L including VAT – for milk manufactured at 3.3% milk protein and 3.6% butterfat – Grennans will pay the farmer the price difference.

Yeah got a nice chunk of milk in it, will be getting a nice Cheque in November of them, was down slightly up till this year but will be well ahead by years end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭farmertipp

Panch18 wrote: »

you only need to ask your feed and fert rep how collecting money is going. 50 to 120 cow guy is easier to collect from

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

farmertipp wrote: »
    you only need to ask your feed and fert rep how collecting money is going. 50 to 120 cow guy is easier to collect from

I had a chat with our rep about this last week. His take was its the expanding farms that are hardest get money from weather its going from 40 to 80 or 100 to 200. Once farms get a few years to consolidate they are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭farmertipp

yewtree wrote: »

I had a chat with our rep about this last week. His take was its the expanding farms that are hardest get money from weather its going from 40 to 80 or 100 to 200. Once farms get a few years to consolidate they are grand.
    I would say that is the case. double whammy of expansion and huge cost last year is still weighing a lot of guys. I think this year was great help even though milk price was not where we would like it. weather saved a huge amount and allowed guys to pay down merchant debt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Fully agree but unless u fight like a dog with them the better deals are still givien to the bigger boys wether they’ve good payment history or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I reckon that's just a plamas to give the smaller guy a bit of pride and to keep them paying up on time.
    There could be truth in it but I reckon you're either made that way or if you're let get away without payment you'll continue to do so.

There's a model farmer in every parish (could be expanding maybe not) that has a squeaky clean image on social media but gets trades people in to do jobs and never pays them or buys straw or silage or whatever and never pays them.
    In the eyes of teagasc who wouldn't know the full story they're the role farmer that others should follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Kerry hold price at 29.5c/l inc vat... surprised tbh... thought theyd throw the toys out of the pram over the arbitration.....

Kerry hold price at 29.5c/l inc vat... surprised tbh... thought theyd throw the toys out of the pram over the arbitration.....

It's easy to hold this months milk price when you still haven't paid fully for the Jan 2015 milk.

Just saying, like:P

It's easy to hold this months milk price when you still haven't paid fully for the Jan 2015 milk.

Just saying, like:P

I’d say Jim Bergin has the letter drafted already to see if soup and sandwiches given out at the ploughing to Glanbia milk suppliers will be taken into account for the 2019 kpmg report haha....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

jaymla627 wrote: »
    I’d say Jim Bergin has the letter drafted already to see if soup and sandwiches given out at the ploughing to Glanbia milk suppliers will be taken into account for the 2019 kpmg report haha....

I think you'll find the soup and sandwiches will be only for employees and cell check winners.. (and free tickets).
    Wait and see!
    Now pat tell us your daily milking routine and how you've managed to get here two years in a row.

• Advertisement

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Fully agree but unless u fight like a dog with them the better deals are still givien to the bigger boys wether they’ve good payment history or not

You need to be dealing with a few mills and play them of against each other, have often went away from one mill for 2/3 months till they call back with the tail between the legs with a cheaper price, also put in a 32 ton bin this year and getting a nice discount when talking a full artic load, their is a 15 euro a ton plus saving when buying this way alone

Advertisement