Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Kerry hold price at 29.5c/l inc vat... surprised tbh... thought theyd throw the toys out of the pram over the arbitration.....
    They're cuter than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Dairygold down to 28 base

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Mooooo wrote: »
    Dairygold down to 28 base

I thought when Kerry held the price that they’d follow. They are blaming the returns on butter, I thought butter price was holding well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I thought when Kerry held the price that they’d follow. They are blaming the returns on butter, I thought butter price was holding well.

It’s steady and rising last few weeks it’s time us dairy farmers got off our arse and take a leaf out of our beef farmer friends .our elected farmer board members need a reminder too as to why we voted them in and who they are representing .the cuts this month in praticular are totally unwarranted .ifa icmsa etc need a boot too there comming out condemning the price cuts but doing absolutely nothing talk is cheap

The return for butter fell again during Aug, unfortunately a milk price reduction of one cent is necessary for Aug milk. from Arrabawn Co-op
    What a lovely shower enough is enough time for action is now butter markets are steady and rising

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

mahoney_j wrote: »
    The return for butter fell again during Aug, unfortunately a milk price reduction of one cent is necessary for Aug milk. from Arrabawn Co-op
    What a lovely shower enough is enough time for action is now butter markets are steady and rising

They could be telling the truth, though, j. If they forward sold at lower than current prices...

But the other side of that is we never get a rise when they forward sell at higher than current prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Just got that very disappointed, does the revolving fund kick out when below 30? What's the base now?

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Just got that very disappointed, does the revolving fund kick out when below 30? What's the base now?

28.51 base now kev ,revolving fund dose not stomp Conor saying it won’t be looked at till price hits low 20s it should stop now .pathetic price wonder how much the 30 million we’ve dropped is contributing to this cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

28.51 base now kev ,revolving fund dose not stomp Conor saying it won’t be looked at till price hits low 20s it should stop now .pathetic price wonder how much the 30 million we’ve dropped is contributing to this cut[/quote]
    Is that what the project will cost?, will there be many more new entrants?

kevthegaff wrote: »
    28.51 base now kev ,revolving fund dose not stomp Conor saying it won’t be looked at till price hits low 20s it should stop now .pathetic price wonder how much the 30 million we’ve dropped is contributing to this cut
    Is that what the project will cost?, will there be many more new entrants?[/quote]

Yep 30 million will be total spend in casein plant new entrance and upgrade to effluent plant .still lots new entrants joining and more looking to switch ,rumors circulating that they will have to start saying no soon tho to protect expansion and processing capacity from existing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

It’s steady and rising last few weeks it’s time us dairy farmers got off our arse and take a leaf out of our beef farmer friends .our elected farmer board members need a reminder too as to why we voted them in and who they are representing .the cuts this month in praticular are totally unwarranted .ifa icmsa etc need a boot too there comming out condemning the price cuts but doing absolutely nothing talk is cheap

What are you suggesting?
    I hope it’s not a milk plan or a crowd of non dairy farmers protesting a la beef protest

What are you suggesting?
    I hope it’s not a milk plan or a crowd of non dairy farmers protesting a la beef protest

Wouldn’t really work for milk tbf as most could only hold for 2/3 days and after that quality drops milk goes sour .boards and management need to be brought to task they have been given an absolute armchair ride for last while by suppliers they cut price no one asks questions ,hard questions
    There’s gdt auctions every 2 weeks ,we can see what spot prices are for milk across Europe ,ornua give us a figure of what a basket of Irish product sells for but we’re consistently a few cents behind .getting on boards is hard getting off them is harder im on a rep committee for my coop we meet 3/4 times a year and every now and then we have a chance to run for a seat on main board.no training is provided
    Transparency is needed as atm I think there is none as regards how milk price is set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭visatorro

They set whatever price they like. Dropping prices because they can. Simple as. Looking at the amount of milk that comes down from the North to glanbia at lower price you'd wonder why they didn't drop it sooner.
    Them Northern boys are mental. Lose a pile of money, milk another 100 cows is the answer. If 32 counties becomes one trading block I wonder will glanbia rise the Northern price or drop every one else's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,722 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What are you suggesting?

What do you think we should do? It's getting to be a joke at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

What are you suggesting?
    whelan2 wrote: »
    What do you think we should do? It's getting to be a joke at this stage.

We should fund a challenge to the length and closed shop nature of the msa's for starters
    There is no competition between processors on account of them
    Mind you our organisation's should already be doing that
    I spoke privately with a college friend in the CCPC who agreed with my view
    No sense me doing it btw as I intend to retire but I will support it if it happens
    People should have the right to move their own milk pool within about 2 years or so,not 5
    Processors should fear that prospect and pay a fair market return to thwart it

Instead they install msa's,the equivalent of prisoners getting electronic monitoring bracelets that police a curfew or home imprisonment

visatorro wrote: »
    They set whatever price they like. Dropping prices because they can. Simple as. Looking at the amount of milk that comes down from the North to glanbia at lower price you'd wonder why they didn't drop it sooner.
    Them Northern boys are mental. Lose a pile of money, milk another 100 cows is the answer. If 32 counties becomes one trading block I wonder will glanbia rise the Northern price or drop every one else's.

Dale farm paying 24 .8ppl which is 27.9cpl. Way cheaper than here :) by 0.1cpl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

word on the ground is another drop for glanbia for next month and possible 25c a liter for the spring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭jaymla627

A2 milk seems to be really taking of worldwide, you’d imagine to add a bit of value to their product mix that suitable herds would be identified and premiums paid, their is a serious lack of imagination at board/management level to get away from bottom of the barrel commodity products

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

Dale farm paying 24 .8ppl which is 27.9cpl. Way cheaper than here :) by 0.1cpl

Whelan, do you know if that is vat inclusive. Most and maybe all farmers in NI are VAT registered, and it's quiet possible that that price will have vat added to it.

• Advertisement

alps wrote: »
    Whelan, do you know if that is vat inclusive. Most and maybe all farmers in NI are VAT registered, and it's quiet possible that that price will have vat added to it.

I dont know the journal link wont let me back into it and the code is gone to my parents house with the paper. Maybe someone else can look it up please

Mortelaro wrote: »
    We should fund a challenge to the length and closed shop nature of the msa's for starters
    There is no competition between processors on account of them
    Mind you our organisation's should already be doing that
    I spoke privately with a college friend in the CCPC who agreed with my view
    No sense me doing it btw as I intend to retire but I will support it if it happens
    People should have the right to move their own milk pool within about 2 years or so,not 5
    Processors should fear that prospect and pay a fair market return to thwart it

Instead they install msa's,the equivalent of prisoners getting electronic monitoring bracelets that police a curfew or home imprisonment

A group of farmers did take one of the MSA's to the competition authority during the "resistance", but CA found that the MSA's were not unreasonable as the processors were trying to put in extra processing capacity for the benefit of the supplier.

However, too many suppliers had too much of a horn up on them to realise what they were signing. There was always going to be the the day come when you needed bargaining power, and this simple tool takes that away..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Personally I would take a different view rather than focusing on the MSA

Like the coops are owned by the farmers, at least supposedly, this means that the management are accountable to the farmers

That level of accountability needs to be improved, dramatically. It’s far to easy for the management to cut the price of milk, it’s very rare that you see them addressing any other inefficiency In the business

The level of wages paid, by Glanbia at least, is nothing short of scandalous. And that not just to Talbot either. It’s filtering the whole way down from what I can see

We need to be getting into the numbers of it, getting management to justify absolutely everything that they are doing. After all they are supposed to be working for us the shareholders.

However we have allowed ourselves to let the tail wag the dog. We have been weak in challenging management. The chosen farmers to represent us all have been either weak or non existent in challenging the management. That has got to change in my opinion

I dont know the journal link wont let me back into it and the code is gone to my parents house with the paper. Maybe someone else can look it up please

It doesn't say Whelan...

Dale Farm has announced a 0.5p/l cut to its milk price for August.

This puts the Northern Ireland processor on a new base of 24.5p/l.

Bonus

However, Dale Farm pays a 0.3p/l loyalty bonus to its suppliers on top of its base.

After factoring this in for August, it effectively puts Dale Farm on an all-in base of 24.8p/l before premiums for milk quality are applied.

Strathroy has also cut its August milk price by 0.5p/l to a base of 24.5p. This matches Lakeland, after it cut its NI price on Friday.

Panch18 wrote: »
    Personally I would take a different view rather than focusing on the MSA

Like the coops are owned by the farmers, at least supposedly, this means that the management are accountable to the farmers

That level of accountability needs to be improved, dramatically. It’s far to easy for the management to cut the price of milk, it’s very rare that you see them addressing any other inefficiency In the business

The level of wages paid, by Glanbia at least, is nothing short of scandalous. And that not just to Talbot either. It’s filtering the whole way down from what I can see

We need to be getting into the numbers of it, getting management to justify absolutely everything that they are doing. After all they are supposed to be working for us the shareholders.

However we have allowed ourselves to let the tail wag the dog. We have been weak in challenging management. The chosen farmers to represent us all have been either weak or non existent in challenging the management. That has got to change in my opinion

Have a read of this, runs from 2018-2020, needs to be some serious changes going forward, they are literally on a golden ticket

https://www.glanbia.com/~/media/Files/G/Glanbia-Plc/2019/Annual%20Results/Remuneration-Committee-Report-2018.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Panch18 wrote: »
    The chosen farmers to represent us all have been either weak or non existent in challenging the management. That has got to change in my opinion

If only it was only this bad. The directors of glanbia co-op actually voted to remove the only real dissenter off the board in '15 at the behest of plc managemen. At least the farmers in my area backed him and no one stood against him and he was reelected. Tbh glanbia co-op shareholders are getting the governance they deserve.

At least 90% of shareholders shouldn't be eligible for election to the board or anycommittee based on their benchmarked performance. If you can't run your own business at least as well as the top 10% of farmers in the catchment you have a cheek to be standing for election to a position which gives you a say in running a business the size of glanbia.

Finally got payment for once a day collection for 2018. Why is everything such a struggle. Practically begging them for the few quid that we should of got months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

If only it was only this bad. The directors of glanbia co-op actually voted to remove the only real dissenter off the board in '15 at the behest of plc managemen. At least the farmers in my area backed him and no one stood against him and he was reelected. Tbh glanbia co-op shareholders are getting the governance they deserve.

At least 90% of shareholders shouldn't be eligible for election to the board or anycommittee based on their benchmarked performance. If you can't run your own business at least as well as the top 10% of farmers in the catchment you have a cheek to be standing for election to a position which gives you a say in running a business the size of glanbia.

This is spot on, all shareholders need to make an effort to eduacate themselves abouth their coop. Go to the agm, read the annual report, ask questions at local meetings and get on to your board member if your not happy with something.
    This takes time and effort and most people couldnt be bothered and hence we end up with the reps we deserve. Its a lot handier talk nonsense down the pub.

yewtree wrote: »
    This is spot on, all shareholders need to make an effort to eduacate themselves abouth their coop. Go to the agm, read the annual report, ask questions at local meetings and get on to your board member if your not happy with something.
    This takes time and effort and most people couldnt be bothered and hence we end up with the reps we deserve. Its a lot handier talk nonsense down the pub.

I was conveniently not notified our texted for the past 3 years about the local meetings after getting into a fairly heated discussion one night with current head man in Glanbia, he is pig ignorant man to put it mildly and a real plc soldier

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

GDT up 2%
    vG4xRnQ.jpg

Advertisement