Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

mf240 wrote: »
    Don't shoot the messenger. Don't shoot the sheriff.

Can we shoot him now?

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Yeah sure work away shot the fecker ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭mf240

Can we shoot him now?

Will give him one more chance. Next month :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

mf240 wrote: »
    Will give him one more chance. Next month :D

Should I break it gently now or buy a few bulletproof vests and post it next month?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote:
    Still one cent per litre above glanbia. How come whenever there's a drop it cant be half a cent ir 1 cent, let's go the whole hog and drop 2. Why should the dairy farmer take the hit we are operating an essential service. Glanbia executives taking no hit as per usual. Without our milk they have nothing

Executives don't care, if glanbia closed in the morning they'd get a job on a board handy enough. If Irish farming stopped in the morning they'd just buy the powder somewhere else.

Older generation made an interesting point this am. About unions and how unions look after seniority in their workplace. So why don't new entrants take a bigger hit. Not popular but does happen in other industries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

It always drops quick and takes a lot longer to go back up again!
    Of course it will stay down for April May and June

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Milk like beef facing into tricky times ,this cut for March milk is totally unacceptable and gouging by creameries and farmer represented board members need to be held accountable .this milk has been produced by us processed and sold by coops since 01 March .its only in last 10/12 days that things started to head south
    Payement structure has to change here we are producing milk blind today in that we won’t know our base price till this time next month .all our costs are incurred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭straight

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Milk like beef facing into tricky times ,this cut for March milk is totally unacceptable and gouging by creameries and farmer represented board members need to be held accountable .this milk has been produced by us processed and sold by coops since 01 March .its only in last 10/12 days that things started to head south
    Payement structure has to change here we are producing milk blind today in that we won’t know our base price till this time next month .all our costs are incurred

Sure we'll just keep on expanding and pumping it out regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I suggested on here for lads to prepare for this by reducing meal a few weeks back and none on here would agree!!!!
    Remember co ops will not brake themselves to give farmers a better price so farmers better help themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

visatorro wrote: »
    Executives don't care, if glanbia closed in the morning they'd get a job on a board handy enough. If Irish farming stopped in the morning they'd just buy the powder somewhere else.

Older generation made an interesting point this am. About unions and how unions look after seniority in their workplace. So why don't new entrants take a bigger hit. Not popular but does happen in other industries

Theres a small farmhouse cheese plant near me thats quadrupled its size and worldwide sales reach in the last 4 years
    Its run by an ordinary dairy farmer
    Farmers outside the bubble of the co op boards are well capable of making building and running good businesses out of the cow
    Our biggest issue under the glanbia model as an example is that we can gather up 2500 members of mostly white heads of hair nearing or beyond pension age to rubber stamp schemes that secure management salaries, strengthen tools to Weaken milk prices and to otherwise foolishly waste co op resources
    I honestly despair for the new entrants or large expanders
    They've a rocky road ahead if they even stay in business
    Their only hope is to hide all the losses in a huge loan and handover the loan to their children
    The Greenfield experiment nailed this
    But it had no children,so its backers had to stop or they would have been forced to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭greenfield21

cute geoge wrote: »
    I suggested on here for lads to prepare for this by reducing meal a few weeks back and none on here would agree!!!!
    Remember co ops will not brake themselves to give farmers a better price so farmers better help themselves

Well unless you think you're going to actually save money I wont be doing it with Breeding, dry weather etc. I think what these cuts have shown us is either we have a cartel or there is way more product going into the ingredients divisions than even I realise at this time of year. You can only imagine coming up to a record peak that ratio of marginal milk to liquid, manufacturing milk will only increase putting way more pressure on prices. So trying to cut back is pointless as nearly all our milk will be priced at world spot prices anyway. I do wonder though if lockdowns are further extended or there is a pull back on imports from China and we enter a real sh#tstorm would they consider it?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

In these times of an National Emergency, all farm charges such as IFA, ICBF, ICMSA, teagasc, insurance, AI straws, interest rates on farm loans, fert, feed, detergents, milk recording, vet fees, TB fees, etc, should all be tracked to milk price BY LAW, and policed by someone like Revenue.
    All theses groups who are Backing Brave deserve to share some of the gain and the pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

In these times of an National Emergency, all farm charges such as IFA, ICBF, ICMSA, teagasc, insurance, AI straws, interest rates on farm loans, fert, feed, detergents, milk recording, vet fees, TB fees, etc, should all be tracked to milk price BY LAW, and policed by someone like Revenue.
    All theses groups who are Backing Brave deserve to share some of the gain and the pain.

IFA and ICMSA charges track milk price..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭jaymla627

cute geoge wrote: »

Would lads take the 31 cent fixed price contracts now I wonder that where on offer late last year , co-ops where piss-taking back then as well sure milk was heading for high to mid 30’s apparently....
    North of 80% of this years supply here is fixed at a average of 31.5 cent plus solids, my take on it is I can comfortably work away and meet all bills and commitments above this price but anything lower and bills mount and the tail is wagging the dog

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Would lads take the 31 cent fixed price contracts now I wonder that where on offer late last year , co-ops where piss-taking back then as well sure milk was heading for high to mid 30’s apparently....
    North of 80% of this years supply here is fixed at a average of 31.5 cent plus solids, my take on it is I can comfortably work away and meet all bills and commitments above this price but anything lower and bills mount and the tail is wagging the dog

Tbh Jay
    Your situation is a fluke,So Its best not to Gloat
    With those stats,you probably would have lost money versus the 60% of glanbia suppliers that aren't fixed,only for coronovirus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Theres a small farmhouse cheese plant near me thats quadrupled its size and worldwide sales reach in the last 4 years
    Its run by an ordinary dairy farmer
    Farmers outside the bubble of the co op boards are well capable of making building and running good businesses out of the cow
    Our biggest issue under the glanbia model as an example is that we can gather up 2500 members of mostly white heads of hair nearing or beyond pension age to rubber stamp schemes that secure management salaries, strengthen tools to Weaken milk prices and to otherwise foolishly waste co op resources
    I honestly despair for the new entrants or large expanders
    They've a rocky road ahead if they even stay in business
    Their only hope is to hide all the losses in a huge loan and handover the loan to their children
    The Greenfield experiment nailed this
    But it had no children,so its backers had to stop or they would have been forced to

The Greenfields backers did not pull out because of that.
    Glanbia pulled out because they didnt want to be connected to Jersey x bull calves which was absolutely ridiculous as they wanted high bf and Pr milk with less water to start with going back 15 years or so.
    The owners also had a part to play in it.
    Aswell as that the Greenfield was making money, granted it was high cost but they still made money and banked it in the good years for the lean years which is good business sense

I don't recall Greenfield making money, didn't the drought cost it a fortune amongst other episodes

Tbh Jay
    Your situation is a fluke,So Its best not to Gloat
    With those stats,you probably would have lost money versus the 60% of glanbia suppliers that aren't fixed,only for coronovirus

In fairness jay has banging on about fixed price schemes for a long time it's only right that he is allowed to gloat about it. I'm not saying anyone could have foresaw this but there is always a possibility the arse will fall out of milk every few years. Jay make sure to remind us in June of your price so you can really rub our faces in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I don't recall Greenfield making money, didn't the drought cost it a fortune amongst other episodes

They wouldnt have last 9 years if they werent making money.
    The drought cost everyone a fortune. Independent millers will tell you they are still owed from it.
    Greenfields breaks even was 31/32cpl iirc. They would have averaged a nice bit over that in years with a middle good price

Most ppls break even is probably 29 to 31c if they're to inc loan repayments and wage for themselves and any family labour

All it's small enough surplus's were eaten up and gone after 2018 though
    An ordinary farmer,without Greenfields backers,following the model would have been in jeopardy
    Anyhow,theres a thread on it here somewhere,its a side issue to here

• Advertisement

Any others announce price, three so far?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Carbery held for now sort of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

All it's small enough surplus's were eaten up and gone after 2018 though
    An ordinary farmer,without Greenfields backers,following the model would have been in jeopardy
    Anyhow,theres a thread on it here somewhere,its a side issue to here

The greenfields most serious issue that year is the ex tillage farm with a low organic matter soil is a disaster when it comes to droughts, alongside that their silage reserves were much too small, so they were totally at the mercy of the high prices that they had to pay that summer/winter.

Its all a lesson that I've learnt here since then, I'll happily buy extra feed in a year of plenty, be it either pit silage or just hay, the aim is to carry over the best part of one month's feed across each summer, the only winter I didn't manage to do that was spring 2018.

The greenfield could not get the milk topup also, which was worth over 1c/l for plenty of months across what, 20 or so months the last 3 years or so, that adds up to a large amount also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭older by the day

Drinagh and cotters gone up 10 Euro a ton on ration. No messing with cents when it comes to input prices going up. What type nuts are the good dairy farmers using these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Dairygold down 2 to 29. Fcuk em anyway. Carbery have held at 33? using their stability fund I think. neighbours supplying the same milk constituents and volume as me will be getting €2200 more for March milk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Mooooo wrote: »
    Dairygold down 2 to 29. Fcuk em anyway. Carbery have held at 33? using their stability fund I think. neighbours supplying the same milk constituents and volume as me will be getting €2200 more for March milk

The bigger the "coops" get the less money they can pay farmers for the milk

It's some joke.

Glanbia would want to get a hold of themselves - paying ridiculous wages to fellas with far to cushy jobs - paid for off the back of farmers working like slaves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

Mooooo wrote: »

€500 a week!!!!!

Depending on the side of the road your at..

Panch18 wrote: »
    The bigger the "coops" get the less money they can pay farmers for the milk

It's some joke.

Glanbia would want to get a hold of themselves - paying ridiculous wages to fellas with far to cushy jobs - paid for off the back of farmers working like slaves

Glanbia have another 4cpl drop planned I hear blaming coronavirus
    That's €30000 plus in a full year taken off a 100 cow herd ..just like that
    And not a penny pro rata off of executive wages,board member salaries or expenses
    Immoral
    It's a fake Coop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Glanbia have another 4cpl drop planned I hear blaming coronavirus
    That's €30000 plus in a full year taken off a 100 cow herd ..just like that
    And not a penny pro rata off of executive wages,board member salaries or expenses
    Immoral
    It's a fake Coop

It's not just the executives - although they are a big problem

It's from the top the whole way down - I see the local agronomist and he must have the best job in the country - half the time sitting on his arse in the creamery and the other half driving around in his Glanbia car giving smart guff to farmers and just generally trying to pass the time chatting. And to top it all off i am highly suspicious as to how much knowledge he actually has

I think a job in Glanbia is actually better than a public servant now - the wages are higher and the productivity is equally poor. And farmers are working like fools to keep the show on the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

alps wrote: »
    €500 a week!!!!!

Depending on the side of the road your at..

Farmers have no loans costs or wages to pay and can live in fresh air shir

Advertisement