Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭straight

K.G. wrote: »
    Well you have basically 2 options, sell at price available or store in the expectation that the price will rise.you can make a big song dance but bottom line the market is what it is.

That's called the race to the bottom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

straight wrote: »
    That's called the race to the bottom

.?race to the bottom.numbers of calves were building up with me earlier this year so i priced them to move them on.then the.phone started ringing and demand increased so i increased prices .nobody asked me what it cost me to produce the calf or wether i made a profit on them and.they largely. Cost.the same .how is this any different to dairy products. I know fellas will go mad but milk processing and for that matter beef are high volune low margin businesses and milk is not the cash cow it once wasfor the processor s as well.

.?race to the bottom.numbers of calves were building up with me earlier this year so i priced them to move them on.then the.phone started ringing and demand increased so i increased prices .nobody asked me what it cost me to produce the calf or wether i made a profit on them and.they largely. Cost.the same .how is this any different to dairy products. I know fellas will go mad but milk processing and for that matter beef are high volune low margin businesses and milk is not the cash cow it once wasfor the processor s as well.

Well it looks to me like farmers never worked so hard for so little. Lads giving away culls and calves for nothing and all that is propping them up is milk or in alot of cases their spouses wage. Now the milk is dropping and farmers are still trying to run faster to keep up with the rest of society which is not going to happen. I'll be diversifying myself anyway instead of running after more work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭visatorro

straight wrote:
    Well it looks to me like farmers never worked so hard for so little. Lads giving away culls and calves for nothing and all that is propping them up is milk or in alot of cases their spouses wage. Now the milk is dropping and farmers are still trying to run faster to keep up with the rest of society which is not going to happen. I'll be diversifying myself anyway instead of running after more work.

Milk is dropping and I don't believe creameries will rush to rise it again. People sometimes are their own worst enemies. Plenty of extra milk going produced from new entrants and expansion, if milk at 22cent is beef that anything above that is a bonus. It is a company we are dealing with and to run successful companies you have to be ruthless. And production will probably go up next year because paddy is an ass.

Farmer's have to be ruthless and efficient inside their own gap and develop a better grasp of business. Farmers are hard working but I think alot of farmer's are going round with their head shoved up their own arse.

• Advertisement

Increasing productivity is not just in farming. Most thriving businesses should increase by about 10 % a year.best of luck with your new venture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Timmaay wrote: »
    It should actually read the base price of 26.56+vat for glanbia to be fully transparent about what is coming directly from them.

Markets are much stronger than that.
    They may need several deliveries of duck shyte...

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Any word on Kerry's milk price?

Henwin wrote: »

No. I'm more interested in the back pay they owe me

Henwin wrote: »

Down 1c to 29.5c/l

• Advertisement

Carbery cuts 0.5c from base and 0.5c from support so a 1c drop in total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Down 1c to 29.5c/l

Should that not be 29 as kerry price includes the bonus of 0.4 for under 200 cell count & 0.1 for passing bord bia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,720 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Carbery cuts 0.5c from base and 0.5c from support so a 1c drop in total.

What's the base now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

As someone said to me recently, just as well we are not in it for the money.

whelan2 wrote: »
    What's the base now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,720 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Says it all really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Says it all really

More a sign of how poor dairygold are doing. Milk price to farmer is same or below glanbia most of the time. There was 4 cent of a difference between dairygold and west cork base last month, dunno yet what they'll be paying this time round

Mooooo wrote: »
    More a sign of how poor dairygold are doing. Milk price to farmer is same or below glanbia most of the time. There was 4 cent of a difference between dairygold and west cork base last month, running at what they'll be paying this time round

Dairygold and Glanbia couldn't expand enough for the last 10 years. Kerry are the consolidater in the industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Says it all really

Yes but the plc gets 24 million of that milk profit gouging
    It's called siobhansustainability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Has anyone handed in their notice on leaving, I reckon it would take alot for any supplier to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭mf240

Well you have basically 2 options, sell at price available or store in the expectation that the price will rise.you can make a big song dance but bottom line the market is what it is.

Are you supplying on of the West Cork Co ops, if so your going to have less reason to sing or dance

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭farmertipp

mahoney_j wrote: »
    I agree but the likes of agriland ,journal coop ceos etc have us all sucked into expecting drops time to fight back and remind our farmer elected reps who and why we voted them in

are you a dg supplier?

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Has anyone handed in their notice on leaving, I reckon it would take alot for any supplier to

The first thing would be to find someone to go to. Other than Strathroy, and I don't even know if they're still accepting new suppliers, the rest aren't willing to upset the status quo as they would probably lose more milk than they would gain from the other processor taking suppliers from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Arrabawn down 1 cent to 29’vat inc
    Any Arrabawn suppliers here did ye get yer statements in post today ????i got none and no statement showing online .money In account tho.no text or explanation from coop either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Arrabawn down 1 cent to 29’vat inc
    Any Arrabawn suppliers here did ye get yer statements in post today ????i got none and no statement showing online .money In account tho.no text or explanation from coop either

Same here

mf240 wrote: »
    Are you supplying on of the West Cork Co ops, if so your going to have less reason to sing or dance

Yes i am.been involved in the coop before so i would have a fair idea how things work.its not alot different to going to the mart basically.tou either take the price on offer or hold and as far as i can see things are where thet are at.while i have been involved if cheddar is 2850 a ton then milk is 28.5 cent and thats been the case with years add in the return from non milk investment s and deferred money you re not alot different to other coops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Things are opening up here in Sydney and Asia.

Out of curiosty, for an established dairy farm with low borrowings, would 29c a litre be break even?

Here in Sydney milk in the supermarkets is 1$ per litre but a lot of the farmers are not breaking even. The supermarkets have advertised extra 20c per litre which is supposed to go directly to the farmer as part of the drought.

Consumers are happy to help.

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Things are opening up here in Sydney and Asia.

Out of curiosty, for an established dairy farm with low borrowings, would 29c a litre be break even?

Here in Sydney milk in the supermarkets is 1$ per litre but a lot of the farmers are not breaking even. The supermarkets have advertised extra 20c per litre which is supposed to go directly to the farmer as part of the drought.

Consumers are happy to help.

Ya that's about breakeven if you don't mind working 80 - 100 hours a week for no pay. Anything over the 29 - 30 cent is your wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ya that's about breakeven if you don't mind working 80 - 100 hours a week for no pay. Anything over the 29 - 30 cent is your wage.

I'd largely agreed, however if your working 80/100hrs a week from now on then you need to simplify your system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Dairygold down to 28c/ L base

Advertisement