Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

mahoney_j wrote: »
    There crying wolf and need to be brought to task on this we as farmers and suppliers are subbing this stainless steel and expansion thru revolving funds and share ups ..then the fookers penalise us again with consistently the worst price in Europe for what is regarded as top quality low carbon footprint clean green milk .

Whoa there Mahoney, why would Irish milk produced by over fertilised grass and gmo feed imported from half way around the globe, be any greener than my herd, which produces milk from the likes of C4 maize and sorghum, and all feed produced on-farm?
    Has anyone any empirical evidence to back up the claim, or are Teagasc/Bord Bia just making more claims without any foundation?

Answers on a postcard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Grueller

Whoa there Mahoney, why would Irish milk produced by over fertilised grass and gmo feed imported from half way around the globe, be any greener than my herd, which produces milk from the likes of C4 maize and sorghum, and all feed produced on-farm?
    Has anyone any empirical evidence to back up the claim, or are Teagasc/Bord Bia just making more claims without any foundation?

Answers on a postcard...

Because grass is their answer to everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,720 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mortelaro wrote: »
    From the latest IFA dairy Newsletter :

Co-op board members must reflect on the significant dairy product price improvements, which must allow them to increase the May milk price to support farmers’ stressed cash flow, especially as drought is starting to bite in Ireland, too. 

Tom Phelan said: “2020 is a difficult year for farmers.  Co-ops must review their expectations for profit, and focus on digging deeper into their own cost structures to support their suppliers. The recent improvements in market returns will help them to take a more positive stance and lift milk prices for May milk”.

The latest evidence of this was the increase in the Ornua PPI announced late last week.  The 1.3 point increase to 101.1 points for May trade is equivalent to a milk price of 29.9c/l including VAT—up 0.5c/l on the April level.  This increase reflects higher powder returns, and stable cheese and butter prices. 

In the last 6 weeks, we have seen EU spot prices increase by €532/t for butter, and €230/t for SMP.  Spots are indicative of market trends, and therefore predict further improvements in average prices. 

Link
    Doesn't make any difference lakelands held at 29cpl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/storm-brewing-in-ornua-amid-mooted-changes-to-ppi/

processing costs of processors gone up, seems no ecomomies of scale achieved from additional plants put up across country, coops/suppliers put up the majority of money for stainless steel

hope they have to back up their talk with actual figures to prove processing cost gone up and why?

Any other line of business would invest to reduce costs...??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

alps wrote: »
    Any other line of business would invest to reduce costs...??

AND , I might add, every coop presentation that I know of , spun the story at the time that the investment would lead to greater margin...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

alps wrote: »
    AND , I might add, every coop presentation that I know of , spun the story at the time that the investment would lead to greater margin...

Well, it did.

But not to the producer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Answers on a postcard...

Trump rules.say it anyway,who gives a s##t about backing it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Glanbia will pay Members 28.62cpl inc VAT for May milk. GI base price 28cpl unchanged. Plus 0.2cpl to reflect weather challenge and 0.42cpl share of GI Profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭mf240

K.G. wrote: »

Perception is reality in advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭mf240

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Glanbia will pay Members 28.62cpl inc VAT for May milk. GI base price 28cpl unchanged. Plus 0.2cpl to reflect weather challenge and 0.42cpl share of GI Profit.

.2 cent wouldn't buy a bottle of sun tan lotion :D

• Advertisement

mf240 wrote: »
    .2 cent wouldn't buy a bottle of sun tan lotion :D

Why did they even bother. 28cpl base price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭straight

whelan2 wrote: »
    Why did they even bother. 28cpl base price.

Box ticking exercise. They supported their farmers through the drought, bla, bla, bla...

K.G. wrote: »

:). Ain’t that the truth.

Grueller wrote: »
    Because grass is their answer to everything.

Very close Grueller, very close.

[ their answer to everything is to spread a bag!]

Is there no cookie jar money anymore or is that the our share of profits makey up thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Is there no cookie jar money anymore or is that the our share of profits makey up thing?

Thats all gone id say was made up of a fund filtererd away from the last spinout, their isnt any cookie jar money in any form going forward unless their was another spinout and the board got it voted through by ourselves to veto them giving us back our own money to prop up the plcs milk price

Someone asked about milk being dumped in the UK a while back. This is today's spot prices.
    https://twitter.com/MilkpricesCom/status/1271480762714542082?s=19

Kerry hold price at 29.5c/l

I still wont be buying anymore inputs off of them until they pay me the money they owe us. We should be getting interest at this stage.

straight wrote: »
    I still wont be buying anymore inputs off of them until they pay me the money they owe us. We should be getting interest at this stage.

If they want to keep putting pictures of our cows on their brochures and take visiting auditors out onto our farms, it's time to issue the payments that they agreed on nearly a decade ago.

I honestly think they need us for their PR a lot more than we realise they do.

• Advertisement

Still 1.5cpl ahead of glanbia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

If they want to keep putting pictures of our cows on their brochures and take visiting auditors out onto our farms, it's time to issue the payments that they agreed on nearly a decade ago.

I honestly think they need us for their PR a lot more than we realise they do.

your next door neighbour appears every time i go on the kerry agri online services.... did he get a few bob???

your next door neighbour appears every time i go on the kerry agri online services.... did he get a few bob???

Yeah, I spotted him a while back alright:D

I never asked him and I haven't been talking to either of them in months now. Barely see anyone anymore now that I'm not doing collections or drop offs for matches.

Yeah, I spotted him a while back alright:D

I never asked him and I haven't been talking to either of them in months now. Barely see anyone anymore now that I'm not doing collections or drop offs for matches.
    Really miss the social part of kids football etc.

Really miss the social part of kids football etc.

The kids were a bit lost for a while here but they're pretty content now since they can get out and meet friends around the place. Pitch and putt and a bit of cycling over to and back from friends houses has relieved some of the boredom. The roads being quiet helps as well.

Nobody goes into houses yet anyway, they have a bit of soccer or hurling around the house and eat a bite outside the houses which is good for the times we're in.

One thing our lot have done in shoot up, trousers are all too short for them now so they're all in shorts:)

Still 1.5cpl ahead of glanbia

That doesn't say much for glanbia. Leading the charge to the bottom.

GDT up 1.9%, skim and WMP both driving the rise.
    DKgBfJ1.jpg

And Carbery hold as well at 31.4c/l.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

The kids were a bit lost for a while here but they're pretty content now since they can get out and meet friends around the place. Pitch and putt and a bit of cycling over to and back from friends houses has relieved some of the boredom. The roads being quiet helps as well.

Nobody goes into houses yet anyway, they have a bit of soccer or hurling around the house and eat a bite outside the houses which is good for the times we're in.

My grandkids the same, at least the weather since March has been good for the cycling and meeting their friends now from a safe distance outside. At least they are not worried about the price of milk too. Milk price was always a bit of a concern, I remember my late father once comparing the price of milk to the price of petrol and saying milk should be dearer.

• Advertisement

Daughter back to training tonight. I am just waiting for " Where's my shin guards etc" didn't miss that part in ockdown.

Advertisement