Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭straight

Grueller wrote: »
    I am not disagreeing with the above post at all. Any type of farming, or business for that matter is tight margins.
    However, a couple of points.
    What is the minimum reinvestment. I have one neighbour that believes it means keeping the tractor under 5 years old, fresh jeep, all bells and whistles on the parlour etc. Another neighbour thinks it means a new brush handle to prop the roof of the cab of his ford 5000.
    Another thing is the hours worked thing. My wife will come home this evening believing that I was busy all day, but the reality is that the kids got two hoverboard for their birthdays and the three of us have spent an hour racing on them, another half an hour hurling and another 45 minutes training a new sheep pup to sit and heel. When I am in the off farm job I would have condensed what it has taken six hours this morning to do into 3. Now next week I will be at silage again, weather permitting so and 80 hour week beckons, so maybe scratch that point.

I plan to put back in 10% of total income to keep things right. Hours worked is a funny one and every bodies different. I do slow the pace myself when possible but I don't feel guilty about spending an hour drinking tea or playing with kids. When I was working I got paid for all my breaks and they were generally an hour long. When my wife comes home from work I have 5 more hours work to do and she is still in bed when I get up in the morning. She is well paid with pension, holidays, weekends, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Minimum investment in my opinion is probably repair and maintenance of buildings ,occasional reseeding,keeping machinery/tractors serviced and everything working properly/safely such that you keep the business going

Its definitely not buying tractors,jeeps Quads,building new sheds or purchasing milking cows that increase the herd beyond its normal size

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Forward Price Scheme 15 open Online next Tue 30 June at 2pm. Indicative price 30cpl to 30.5cpl (MAR - OCT 2021) @ 3.30 Prot/3.60 Bfat incl VAT
    Kerry's latest fixed price offer would seem to indicate a price rise is imminent seeing as the current base price is 29.5c/l.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Milk price to rise.

Coop emailed saying that their collection is down 2.75% from 2019 and the French production is down overall. Butter, cheese etc is up on price.

I’m not complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Milk price has risen 2cpl + vat for July deliveries and retrospectively for milk delivered after 11th June. No decision on August price yet

No complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

Waiting for the Sherrif with the good news...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Good news indeed!
    HJW7Aqa.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Good news indeed!
    HJW7Aqa.jpg

No doubt the board of glanbia are working out how to hold/cut the base price for June as a result of the rise in the gdt.

That's quite a remarkable rise given the large quantities moving at the moment
    If Processors hold price given that,they are blatantly price gouging or incompetent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,720 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I wonder if there had been no covid outbreak what would we be at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

whelan2 wrote: »

We have the next excuse, brexit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Every sign in janurary was pointing at 34/35 by May ,we may still get there or v clues over next few months if there is no more major lockdowns

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Every sign in janurary was pointing at 34/35 by May ,we may still get there or v clues over next few months if there is no more major lockdowns

That would finish beef, lamb, tillage, and every other farm enterprise in the country as we'd all convert to dairy in the morning!

(I'm looking into it at the moment, using 27-28c for stress-test calculations)

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

That would finish beef, lamb, tillage, and every other farm enterprise in the country as we'd all convert to dairy in the morning!

(I'm looking into it at the moment, using 27-28c for stress-test calculations)

That’s wise there will be peaks and troughs but average base for last 5 years is somewhere around 30.5 to 31 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Given all that's happened in last few months it's amazing price didn't take more of a hammering and is recovering so quickly. How did demand stay up with the world in lockdown I cant figure it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The milk price hit the 40s in 2008, and plenty of lads borrowed hugely as a result (and I'll admit straight up its part the reason I came home to farm, the $$ signs were ringing in my eyes lol), but only for it to crash back down to 21c during the 2009 recession. We've seen alot less variation in price the last 3 or 4yrs, which is no harm to reduce the boom bust nature, however we didn't every single farmer in the country switching across then. The only question I'd have is how much of this is artificial by the processors not passing on returns to farmers when the markets would of justified 35c+?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Given all that's happened in last few months it's amazing price didn't take more of a hammering and is recovering so quickly. How did demand stay up with the world in lockdown I cant figure it out.

In fairness the world still needs to eat, the only drop in demand was with the tourism end of things, but that was probably offset by more domestic consumption. Contrast that to like oil, which has literally tanked due to it being so heavily dependent on transport and the manufacturer of goods, alongside the opec+ mess.

And you could say the very same thing about the stock markets, why the hell have they recovered so quickly given everything that's happened, just no logic there other than central banks printing money.

It fell here more than on most of rest of Europe ,bit of panic maby on Irish coops behalf ......saying that knife edge stuff I’ll fully expect price rises over next few months but equally if a big second wave comes with covid it’ll finish lots of business and that will have a knock on effect

Any idea for June milk price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭cosatron

according to the comic we are in for 1 cent increase, considering we are trailing france by 5 cents and holland by 3 cents, a load of sh*t

• Advertisement

I would guess a 1 cent rise for all

I would guess a 1 cent rise for all

But the dunces down the bottom glanbia /Arrabawn should be betting 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭straight

But the dunces down the bottom glanbia /Arrabawn should be betting 2

No need sure. Plenty willing to keep expanding and can't supply enough milk to them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Is part of the issue Glanbia's size and reach now? As in they set the tone/price for the rest of the co-ops?

Are they the Ryanair of co-ops?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

Is part of the issue Glanbia's size and reach now? As in they set the tone/price for the rest of the co-ops?

Are they the Ryanair of co-ops?

the size and reach is one of the advantages of supplying glanbia, however they sell at some of the lowest prices internationally to avoid building stocks..which is one problem and they are a customer champion as they say in there accounts not a supplier champion, yes id say they play a big influence on the rest of the coops milk price as they are competing against glanbia selling price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

8% GDP rise equates to 2.3c/l for us.

Looking forward to it🤔

alps wrote: »
    8% GDP rise equates to 2.3c/l for us.

Looking forward to it🀔

If it was an 8% drop in Gdt you could nearly guarantee that drop in price though!

Lakelands up to 30cpl

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

I assume anyone with glanbia is refreshing the connect app every five mins.

• Advertisement

For June milk Glanbia will pay Members 30.1 cpl incl VAT and Share of GI Profit, an increase of 1.48cpl on May. Read more: https://bit.ly/2C5Rfl6

Advertisement