Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

that price is a pure insult to farmers, trying to lower expectations of future milk prices, no way are we signing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭farmertipp

did kerry not bring one out pre virus of 33 cent ? at start of the yr?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

cute geoge wrote: »
    Imo the fixed Kerry price is very poor or do we have to face the reality that 30 cent base is the top price we will get going forward .What was the price 30 years ago ?

There is more likelyhood of the next move being a price drop rather than a rise

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭farmertipp

K.G. wrote: »
    There is more likelyhood of the next move being a price drop rather than a rise

why do you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

think prices will hold till after xmas, based on ornanua perdictions prices holding till then as customers are stocking up now, expecting a lull in market with brexit, possible second wave of cornavirus and stocked up customers

• Advertisement

farmertipp wrote: »
    why do you say that?

Thats my reading of the markets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Thats my reading of the markets.

China are facing massive food shortages heading into 2021, they are keeping a lid on it becoming mainstream news for the minute, but that alone should underpin milk price for next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭straight

jaymla627 wrote: »
    China are facing massive food shortages heading into 2021, they are keeping a lid on it becoming mainstream news for the minute, but that alone should underpin milk price for next year

We heard that last year with the pork shortage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Journal had the first 6 months dairy exports up something like 4% in volume and 7 or 9% I think in value. Shows the price drop wasn't justified if that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

With exception of west cork every other coop has scope to get to there level at least brexit and covid obvious worries but market dentitemrnt is strong my own coop (Arrabawn )are putting majority of there milk thru our new casein plant for rest of year and that market has remained v strong all thru the year scope there for 1.5/2 cent rise over next few months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

will brexit affect the west cork coops more than the rest as a big chunk of their product mix is cheese?

straight wrote: »
    We heard that last year with the pork shortage

Swine flu is still affecting their herds, the destruction of millions of acres of land to flooding and the loss of millions of tons of corn and especially rice crops means they are going to need to import record levels of commodities, their supposed huge inventories of stored grains are turning up to be half rotting and in some extreme cases lads are burning down their grain stores as they where mixing clay with their grains to bulk up weights on storage to get more money from government subs, only for the fact the Argentina and Brazilian currencies have suffered massive devaluation the past few years the price of beef and grains would be at alot higher levels

Russia could have as big an impact as anywhere else, bringing land into production that was never used before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,714 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mooooo wrote: »
    Journal had the first 6 months dairy exports up something like 4% in volume and 7 or 9% I think in value. Shows the price drop wasn't justified if that's the case.

I'm sure they will reimburse us any shortfall

Russia could have as big an impact as anywhere else, bringing land into production that was never used before

I'd say once the cheap grains out of brazil/argentina start to dry up when they eventually exhaust their slash and burn supply of rainforests, the Russians will bring more land into the fold as prices increase they have 20% of the worlds fertile tillage ground but are only farming 13% of it currently, after the initial burst of state backed money to get Russia self sufficient in food after the EU export ban they are now food secure so the government money has dryed up, their isn't any real scope for them to ramp up production anymore as the funding/machinery/ and infrastructure dosent exist unless the government back it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Another speculative scaremongering tactic by Kerry in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

oxjkqg wrote: »
    Another speculative scaremongering tactic by Kerry in my opinion.

Can't remember exactly where Kerry a laying off this trade, but it is (or at least, it used to be) futures backed and not based on actual physical movement of product.

The price is completely based on present sentiment of a possible future price, and you have to be concerned that it really suits the coop (sorry, it's a plc) to be able to secure such a low price so as to dampen expectations and sentiment and subsequently pass the product through to the plc at a reduced price.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Gman1987

alps wrote: »
    Can't remember exactly where Kerry a laying off this trade, but it is (or at least, it used to be) futures backed and not based on actual physical movement of product.

The price is completely based on present sentiment of a possible future price, and you have to be concerned that it really suits the coop (sorry, it's a plc) to be able to secure such a low price so as to dampen expectations and sentiment and subsequently pass the product through to the plc at a reduced price.

EEX SMP/Butter futures for March-Oct 2021 are returning €0.315c/l so I feel Kerry are low balling on this occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

If it hasn't been used or food production in the at couple of thousand year's, there's probably a reason, I wouldn't be expecting too much.

If it hasn't been used or food production in the at couple of thousand year's, there's probably a reason, I wouldn't be expecting too much.

Apparent 24k hectares or something brought in this year, can't find where I saw it but if I do I'll stick it up

• Advertisement

will brexit affect the west cork coops more than the rest as a big chunk of their product mix is cheese?

Yeah its really getting hard to call but if it goes wrong its going to put a big hole in us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭straight

Yeah its really getting hard to call but if it goes wrong its going to put a big hole in us

I heard on the ifj podcast that uk is in advance talks with Australia and new Zealand trade deals. Big sheep meat, dairy and beef producers. And New Zealand is a big cheddar producer. Time to build up the rainy day fund or should I say start a rainy day find as is my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I heard on the ifj podcast that uk is in advance talks with Australia and new Zealand trade deals. Big sheep meat, dairy and beef producers. And New Zealand is a big cheddar producer. Time to build up the rainy day fund or should I say start a rainy day find as is my case.

With the way brexit is starting to look I think that rainy day fund is a really wise idea.
    An Australian has the trade job now I don’t think he will be doing us any favours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I think corruption is a big deterrent for any investors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,631 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Seen cheddar taking a hit before and WC still paid the best in the country. The mozzerella might cushion things as well.

Water John wrote: »
    Seen cheddar taking a hit before and WC still paid the best in the country. The mozzerella might cushion things as well.

I hope your right but we seen nothing like the potential problems this could uniquely cause carbery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,714 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Lakelands stay at 31cpl for August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    Lakelands stay at 31cpl for August

Check this out on Agriland - Lakeland Dairies announces milk price for August https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/lakeland-dairies-announces-milk-price-for-august/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭einn32

Oddly enough Australia is losing ground on beef markets at the minute. USA and Brazil are taking over the Chinese market. Australia just doesn't have the cattle numbers at present. Also political tensions are not helping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Grueller

Glanbia up 0.5 cent per litre to 30.6 inc VAT and GI profit share

Advertisement