Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Panch18 wrote: »
    Good Management, accountability, farmer input

It's a long list!!

I'm sure KG can give us a bit more of an insight

About right id say and not looking over the ditch all the time

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Mooooo wrote: »
    They seem to be the main three alright along with plenty more. Dairygolds historical fcuk ups, glanbia and Kerry have plc shareholders and entities to contend with, dunno much about arrabawn and the rest. West corks product mix was prob better along with a a few better investments elsewhere. Some may say a bit of luck thrown in but as the saying goes, you make your own luck.

Interesting stuff - thanks for the insights (and to Panch and KG too)

Maybe their smaller size helps too? Seems “economy of scale” hasn’t done anything for Glanbia anyway

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Interesting stuff - thanks for the insights (and to Panch and KG too)

Maybe their smaller size helps too? Seems “economy of scale” hasn’t done anything for Glanbia anyway

Glanbia is an absolute joke of an organisation now

The best place in Ireland to get a job now is Glanbia - great pay, damn all responsibitiy and more chushy than any public sector.

Which would be grand if it wasn't us the farmers paying for it out of our pockets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Panch18 wrote: »
    Glanbia is an absolute joke of an organisation now

The best place in Ireland to get a job now is Glanbia - great pay, damn all responsibitiy and more chushy than any public sector.

Which would be grand if it wasn't us the farmers paying for it out of our pockets

The crazy thing is they reckon they will be able to get another extra 1 billion litres of milk into the future to supply their two new cheese plants of existing suppliers and new entrants, equates to an extra 175000 cows doing the national herd average.. .
    They will be spending around 300 million on the two plants, using a figure of 3500 euro to tag on these extra cows needed means their suppliers collectively will be fronting over 600 million, just for the privilege of supplying milk to them at our in alot cases below the cost of production, it dosent seem like the smartest business plan on their part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭straight

jaymla627 wrote: »
    The crazy thing is they reckon they will be able to get another extra 1 billion litres of milk into the future to supply their two new cheese plants of existing suppliers and new entrants, equates to an extra 175000 cows doing the national herd average.. .
    They will be spending around 300 million on the two plants, using a figure of 3500 euro to tag on these extra cows needed means their suppliers collectively will be fronting over 600 million, just for the privilege of supplying milk to them at our in alot cases below the cost of production, it dosent seem like the smartest business plan on their part

Looks like there's plenty people willing to keep pumping it in for no profit. I see john Gardiner on the 2 Johnnie's on tv last night. He has the life working for Glanbia in America. Fools here working 24/7 at the bottom of the pile thinking if they just had a few more cows they might get a wage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,703 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Apologies for the very basic question, but what’s the main difference between West Cork co-ops and everywhere else?

Someone from that part of the world told me it's like Ryanair and eh an airline that's not like Ryanair.

In west cork coops you've a basic office with no frills and everyone in office on 40k.
    Vs Glanbia with caviar for everyone.

straight wrote: »
    Looks like there's plenty people willing to keep pumping it in for no profit. I see john Gardiner on the 2 Johnnie's on tv last night. He has the life working for Glanbia in America. Fools here working 24/7 at the bottom of the pile thinking if they just had a few more cows they might get a wage.

Tams Grant's where driving alot of it I reckon, when that fund drys up and lads aren't getting sheds/parlours subsidized by the government the horn will go off lads fairly quick

Tams Grant's where driving alot of it I reckon, when that fund drys up and lads aren't getting sheds/parlours subsidized by the government the horn will go off lads fairly quick

U have a great way with words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I know alot of guys who wouldnt bother applying for grant
    Big ball of money spent here on concrete and steel and no grant on any of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Tbh majority of Grant money I reckon bypassed the farmer with the inflation in the cost of the eligible items once they came into being....

• Advertisement

Could name of at least 10 lads locally that would of drew down over 100k out of it, as where in a partnership, alot of new entrant robot farms in the area here, where tams was availed off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

It would be crazy not to draw it on a milk tank or the milking machine

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jayc12

Carbery supplier 40.895c @3.89 protein and 4.56 fat. Base price is 33.07 c/l

Could name of at least 10 lads locally that would of drew down over 100k out of it, as where in a partnership, alot of new entrant robot farms in the area here, where tams was availed off

I got 60% of 80k out of it. Only for the 80k limit I'd have got more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

if your in a partnership applying for grant is a no brainer..... spend 160k get grant of 80k and the vat back as well.... there would want to be some inflation on the build not to come out of the whole thing on the right side money wise

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Someone from that part of the world told me it's like Ryanair and eh an airline that's not like Ryanair.

In west cork coops you've a basic office with no frills and everyone in office on 40k.
    Vs Glanbia with caviar for everyone.
    That would apply to alot of the farmers too,alot of good milk coming out of setups that wont make.the.farmers journal and with poorish land that is being bate into milk.none of this finished at 6 lark either.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭farmertipp

dairygold bottom of the league on journal . They must have no pride to slip so far

farmertipp wrote: »
    dairygold bottom of the league on journal . They must have no pride to slip so far

You could also say that about their suppliers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

But look at all the bonuses they pay out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

alps wrote: »

But look at all the bonuses they pay out..

Average of circa €2000 per supplier. Whoop de do.

• Advertisement

You could also say that about their suppliers.

I'm sure suppliers are very unhappy if that's what you mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,631 ✭✭✭✭Water John

They don't even have the excuse of others who say they have to look after the Co shareholders. In this case the suppliers are the shareholders.

I'd say the Lordans here would be far happier if rather than two plaques these boys had brought an extra cheque of €1,500 for their August milk which is what they'd have got supplying the Carbery plant down the road;

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/winners-of-dairygold-milk-quality-awards-announced/

I'm sure suppliers are very unhappy if that's what you mean

Tell your company reps that your not happy. Boycott dairygold if they won't take you serious. Blame your local board reps and not just woulfe. Years ago everybody blamed Jerry rubble but what about all the people around the table with him. Switch Co-Ops if you feel your voice isn't being heard.

Tell your company reps that your not happy. Boycott dairygold if they won't take you serious. Blame your local board reps and not just woulfe. Years ago everybody blamed Jerry rubble but what about all the people around the table with him. Switch Co-Ops if you feel your voice isn't being heard.

all done. don't know how you can switch coops though

board very weak for sure.

I know people that left dairygold for arrabawn. There should be alot more switching going on by right. We're always hearing about competition at the other end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Could you imagine if switching milk suppliers was similarly to the way we can switch electricity supply on bonkers.ie every year lol? Obviously can't be that simple in terms of your location etc, but it is the level of control that us suppliers need to aspire to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 farmerrichie

Just imagine how you wud feel if u were one of the poor fools that swapped from arrabawn to dairygold. We as dairygold suppliers all our life are used to bad milk prices, no surprise to see us bottom of the league again, one way of them financing paying back the revolving fund. Don't hold your breath to see any improvement in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Dairygold are closing their store in Cashel in Oct. I was told by someone working in Dg that in all the stores they have closed not one person has been laid off, just moved to other stores. Bit of a joke if that's true. Also what are they doing with the money from the sales of the store properties. Has to be big millions being cashel in on there.

• Advertisement

I know people that left dairygold for arrabawn. There should be alot more switching going on by right. We're always hearing about competition at the other end

that happened around time quota was abolished but not allowed since.

Advertisement