Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭farmertipp

Just imagine how you wud feel if u were one of the poor fools that swapped from arrabawn to dairygold. We as dairygold suppliers all our life are used to bad milk prices, no surprise to see us bottom of the league again, one way of them financing paying back the revolving fund. Don't hold your breath to see any improvement in the future.

we dg suppliers only kick for the wrong reasons
    now we have a good reason to kick there is f all being done. everyone working in dg got their increments. board is the problem. they are backing management to the hilt instead of fellow suppliers. and they have one r two terriers on it who take all criticism of dg personally instead of directing it at the board table. it's a ****ing disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

Just imagine how you wud feel if u were one of the poor fools that swapped from arrabawn to dairygold..

I think it's unfair to say they were fools. What they were, was brave....braver than most..

They forced change at the time, and they forced a breach in the tight control that coops had over everyone, to the benefit of all.

Unfortunately that vice grip was regained and most are now tied in by contracts...

Most...not all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭straight

farmertipp wrote: »
    that happened around time quota was abolished but not allowed since.

Not allowed. Ha, feck that- we're not in school. Anytime I was ever told something wasn't allowed it just made me more determined.

straight wrote: »
    Not allowed. Ha, feck that- we're not in school. Anytime I was ever told something wasn't allowed it just made me more determined.

you seem to have all the answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

alps wrote: »
    I think it's unfair to say they were fools. What they were, was brave....braver than most..

They forced change at the time, and they forced a breach in the tight control that coops had over everyone, to the benefit of all.

Unfortunately that vice grip was regained and most are now tied in by contracts...

Most...not all..

I know a few of the lads that switched ,to call them fools is an insult ,2 in praticular were outstanding board members of arrabawn sent with years of experience and unlike a lot fought for suppliers .
    On the arrabawn seen side anyway those lads that took the fight to management and backed up there decisions by leaving forced the artabawn board and management to improve a lot of things ,the milk price has improved .....a bit and we’ve took a huge punt (which I think will be a good move )on developing a casein plant which should from now on deliever is a far better price than we’ve been accustomed to .....still lots of things wrong but we’re getting there it all stems back to the time those suppliers jumped to dairy gold and glanbia they forced a lot of issues we had to come out

• Advertisement

farmertipp wrote: »
    you seem to have all the answers

If only. If one is not happy, then switch. I wouldn't take no for an answer anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Dairygold are closing their store in Cashel in Oct. I was told by someone working in Dg that in all the stores they have closed not one person has been laid off, just moved to other stores. Bit of a joke if that's true. Also what are they doing with the money from the sales of the store properties. Has to be big millions being cashel in on there.

Local store closed, 1 retired was due to anyway, others all working at another store. Planning permission on it for a share of houses now afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 15 farmerrichie

I was wrong to call them fools but I would call them foolish that they hadn't researched dairygold a small bit better. Mr Wolf is in charge since 2009 and his record of paying a good price for milk is appalling . It looks like our only hope is that maybe our friends from Kerry when they get their feet on the ground with their co op might call to see us to put us out of our agony... wishful thinking I suppose !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

If only. If one is not happy, then switch. I wouldn't take no for an answer anyway.

Carbery are saying no to plenty lads unless your new to milk

I was wrong to call them fools but I would call them foolish that they hadn't researched dairygold a small bit better. Mr Wolf is in charge since 2009 and his record of paying a good price for milk is appalling . It looks like our only hope is that maybe our friends from Kerry when they get their feet on the ground with their co op might call to see us to put us out of our agony... wishful thinking I suppose !!!

Trust me the few I know researched this and then double checked it ,it was dairygold or glanbia more choose dairygold than glanbia .2 in praticular that left left a huge void in the arrabawn board ,both gave years of outstanding service ,ye think dairygold is a mess it’s nothing compared to what arrabawn once was in terms of milk price and how coop was run
    One question ,not a criticisin you seem to have lots of issues with dairygold ,do u go to meetings ,ask questions ??,have u ever tried to get a position on a dairygold rep committee or board ???theres a huge problem with lads remaining on boards for years and for most part because no one will run against them or put there name forward

• Advertisement

there is a gentlemans agreement there to stop you. indeed you have to give notice of a yr or 2 to leave. thus far the effort is to effect change. some way to go as some channels need to be explored.
    the catalyst is the inexplicable failure to rise the August price so only getting going

One question ,not a criticisin you seem to have lots of issues with dairygold ,do u go to meetings ,ask questions ??,have u ever tried to get a position on a dairygold rep committee or board ???theres a huge problem with lads remaining on boards for years and for most part because no one will run against them or put there name forward[/quote]
    l know this is not directed at me but
    I find alot of the most vocal are no help when it comes down to it. i have served on committee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,631 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Hindsight is an exact science and some are applying it here. An Arrabawn board member wanted to open negotiations of a merger/takeover by DG. Nobody else agreed, he left and took some 20 suppliers with him. DG would have taken any supplier willing to move at the time. DG for once in its life wasn't going to respect the Gentlemans Agreement, which they had often invoked.

DG have todays prize, the wooden spoon.

MOO they closed a store (Muskerry) which should have had the trade of Mod Cork. Most people instead choose to over the hill to Bandon.

Water John wrote: »
    Hindsight is an exact science and some are applying it here. An Arrabawn board member wanted to open negotiations of a merger/takeover by DG. Nobody else agreed, he left and took some 20 suppliers with him. DG would have taken any supplier willing to move at the time. DG for once in its life wasn't going to respect the Gentlemans Agreement, which they had often invoked.

MOO they closed a store (Muskerry) which should have had the trade of Mod Cork. Most people instead choose to over the hill to Bandon.

Dairygold is still a fundamentally stronger coop than arrabawn have u seen our yearly accounts last 2 years and kpmg audited figures at year end show us consistently on bottom steps of the ladder

Fyi tgere was a bit more than one board member pushing for this anyway old news we are where we are now option of switching not really there atm

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Dairygold is still a fundamentally stronger coop than arrabawn '

They will continue to get fundamentally stronger if they are at bottom of the class in price all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 15 farmerrichie

In the past I did serve one the dairygold outer board committee. The 'tea drinking committee' according to Ned o keeffe, found it a total waste of time and very frustrating. No bother in getting on these committees anymore,most of the time nobody wants to go on them... a total waste of time . Unusual to see dairygold lover Jack Kennedy turning on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Water John wrote: »

That's the store I'm on about, Barrett Agri and bandon cleaning up. Easier to go to coppeen/ bandon/ eniskeane than killumney or coachford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,631 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That's what they said about the economy in 2008, 'the fundamentals are sound'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

In the past I did serve one the dairygold outer board committee. The 'tea drinking committee' according to Ned o keeffe, found it a total waste of time and very frustrating. No bother in getting on these committees anymore,most of the time nobody wants to go on them... a total waste of time . Unusual to see dairygold lover Jack Kennedy turning on them

From the guys I know of on the board, they are famers who have reared families, well established farms, other income sources, spouse wage or pension etc and thinking about retirement in not too distant future themselves. Now who we need on the board are the farmers who have heavily invested in their farms, have families who have years of education to be paid for and are dependent on milk price to make ends meet, but where are they going to find the time to put on a shirt and tie and spend all day in meetings!

You should be able to switch Co-ops. I thought once you find someone to take you, you could just switch away. Finish with one in December. Start in january with new CO-OP. Tell them to stick their gentleman's agreement where the sun doesn't shine. What are we all paying Icmsa, IFA for if this is the case. Where else do gentleman's agreements exist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭jaymla627

You should be able to switch Co-ops. I thought once you find someone to take you, you could just switch away. Finish with one in December. Start in january with new CO-OP. Tell them to stick their gentleman's agreement where the sun doesn't shine. What are we all paying Icmsa, IFA for if this is the case. Where else do gentleman's agreements exist?

Bar stathroy if your in leinster, arrabawn our Lakeland wont take on a glanbia supplier, I tried for nine months to move and had no msa signed at the time so was free to move and after initial calls to the correct people in the co-ops they initially fobbed us off and then just stopped answering the phone

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Bar stathroy if your in leinster, arrabawn our Lakeland wont take on a glanbia supplier, I tried for nine months to move and had no msa signed at the time so was free to move and after initial calls to the correct people in the co-ops they initially fobbed us off and then just stopped answering the phone

Surely that is evidence of a CARTEL. What did IFA/ICMSA say about it

I thought once you find someone to take you, you could just switch away. Finish with one in December. Start in january with new CO-OP.

If Carlsberg did Coops..

The door slipped open for just a very short period, while the disagreement happened. ICOS stepped in pretty fast to pull the warning factions apart and made them agree on the principal that a coop could ot take a supplier from another coop until a signed MSA had expired, a supplier had paid all debts to the coop, and supplier worked out 3 months notice period....not unreasonable.

The gentleman's agreement ended up being a gentleman's threat...

If you take 1 of our customers, we'll take 2 of yours back...

Doors closed..

Alarmingly....

A new entrant in Duhallow (taking over from parents) wanted to begin supplying Arrabawn, but Dairygold objected as his parents had a signed MSA. Afaik, the young lad had to supply Dairygold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭jaymla627

alps wrote: »
    Alarmingly....

A new entrant in Duhallow (taking over from parents) wanted to begin supplying Arrabawn, but Dairygold objected as his parents had a signed MSA. Afaik, the young lad had to supply Dairygold.

Glanbia have the same clause in their msa, but if challenged in a court I cant see how a third parties rights even if related can be signed away by another person with no consent, the flipside is the likes of glanbia seem to portray it's a massive burden to shift the extra supply the last few years why are they then so hellbent on tying in suppliers and the next generation into supplying them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

If the IFA discuss beef prices with factories the CCPC are all over them. Yet see no issues with MSAs and gentlemen's agreements between coops.
    I've said it before, the MSA was the greatest con job ever pulled on irish dairy farmers. After 30 yrs of pampering because of quotas, dairy farmers lazily signed up to these.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Glanbia have the same clause in their msa, but if challenged in a court I cant see how a third parties rights even if related can be signed away by another person with no consent, the flipside is the likes of glanbia seem to portray it's a massive burden to shift the extra supply the last few years why are they then so hellbent on tying in suppliers and the next generation into supplying them

Because if they allow 1 go, all hell breaks loose.
    We're in an area where there are 5 processors passing the gates. You should see the rule bending and hurdles jumped by processors to get a new entrant. Yet if you pick up the phone as a supplier of a different coop they'll hardly even answer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I spoke to Glanbia as a potential new entrant supplier a few weeks and they would be happy to take me, the rep said.

I had planned to start with Glanbia but with the “spare wheel” of a switch to Arrabawn after 18-24 months if Glanbia were acting up too much. Their store near me is over priced compared to independent merchants.

It seems this spare wheel might not be the safety release I thought it would be! I might talk to Arrabawn now so before going any further with Glanbia.

But from what I gather there’s not much between them in terms of price or how they’re managed.

Having said that, there’s 3 lads around here who switched from Glanbia to Arrabawn in the last 2 years and they seem happy enough. And they were all with Glanbia for decades.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Just to say that carbery do not want transfers.on the whole transfer thing, its alot like looking at neighbouring farmer with a nice setup and saying we can do a swap .its up to you to fix your setup.this all goes back to coop ethos and why the coop s were set up

Advertisement