Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

GDT up 15%.....!

Butter up 13.7%

https://www.globaldairytrade.info/en/product-results/

would Alps or someone be able to explain this...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭jaymla627

GDT up 15%.....!

Butter up 13.7%

All commoditys are sky rocketing, milk has just been slow to join the party, but it's in now with a bang, soya bean meal/oil has got that dear that the likes of wmp which jumped over 20% in the latest auction will be bought as a protein source instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭straight

GDT up 15%.....!

Butter up 13.7%

Looks like peak milk will be 40c per litre. About fecking time too.

straight wrote: »
    Looks like peak milk will be 40c per litre. About fecking time too.
    If co-ops aren't able to pay out something in the high 30's come june, we can all throw our hats at it, provided markets don't go in reverse which I dont see happening, the near doubling of maize/soya prices will see supply dropping considerably worldwide unless milk prices rises compensate for it....
    It just shows all the same how out of touch Teagasc is at reading the markets with their bulls**t predictions last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Ships bringing goods from Asia to the US are returning empty rather than carrying back some US goods like dairy for whatever reason be it faster turnarounds or what

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    Ships bringing goods from Asia to the US are returning empty rather than carrying back some US goods like dairy for whatever reason be it faster turnarounds or what

Us milk futures for June milk are around 35 cent litre at 3.6/3.3, up 3 cents from before xmas

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Farm meeting last night was told China was buying most stock now. They have gone from buying "just in time" to buying "just in case".

This might change again I guess but that seems to be the case for now.

Sure if we knew what the market was going to do, we'd all be millionaires. As would the various experts who claim they know!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,711 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Glanbia have launched a fixed milk price scheme of 32cpl inc vat for 2years and 10 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,711 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

How much would this ad cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Grueller

whelan2 wrote: »

I don't know but it is the best usage of IFA funds in a while

• Advertisement

I was talking to a Filipino the other day. He said he couldn't believe how cheap milk was in the shops in this country. Literally cheaper than water. It's used as a loss leader and it devalues the product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

whelan2 wrote: »

So is lidl/aldi milk coming from the North or further abroad theyre insinuating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Jizique

I was talking to a Filipino the other day. He said he couldn't believe how cheap milk was in the shops in this country. Literally cheaper than water. It's used as a loss leader and it devalues the product.

Do you want everyone to switch to almond or soy milk?

Jizique wrote: »
    Do you want everyone to switch to almond or soy milk?

You mean almond / soy juice? Milk is cheaper than water last time I checked and that's some joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭enricoh

You mean almond / soy juice? Milk is cheaper than water last time I checked and that's some joke.

Just got 4l of milk in the applegreen petrol station there for e3. There was 500ml cans of monster energy for e2.75 iirc. At least monster aren't underselling themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Grueller wrote: »
    I don't know but it is the best usage of IFA funds in a while

Explain ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Lidl are replying to tweets on Twitter about this. Seems the milk for both is from the south, but as it's processed up North they can't put the NDC logo on it. I think that's the gist. The ad is a bit stupid in my opinion. They are whinging about the name of the brand on the label. I don't see how it matters personally what it's called as long as the milk is bought at a fair price from the farm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭tanko

Who are Lidl and Aldi buying the milk off, is it Strathroy?

tanko wrote: »
    Who are Lidl and Aldi buying the milk off, is it Strathroy?

Strathroy( roi suppliers), Aurivo, Arrabawn and others. Looks like the ad was for the benefit of some of the processors and not necessarily farmers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Grueller

Explain ??

Because I honestly believe that educating the public as to reducing margins for primary producers is a hugely important and under utilised tactic in trying to get a fair share of the price of produce.
    I assume that you thought I was having a swipe at the IFA? I'm not pro or anti IFA and believe that we need a strong representation. However we are not achieving that at the moment with all of the different organisations and the disjointed approach that brings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭green daries

Lidl are replying to tweets on Twitter about this. Seems the milk for both is from the south, but as it's processed up North they can't put the NDC logo on it. I think that's the gist. The ad is a bit stupid in my opinion. They are whinging about the name of the brand on the label. I don't see how it matters personally what it's called as long as the milk is bought at a fair price from the farm
    As long as it is ............ but unfortunately its not there's a reason farmers are turning there back on liquid milk production

Explain ??

I think it's excellent and long overdue they also need to lead on with the fact that milk is sold as a loss leader in the supermarket but its the farmers who subsidise it the supermarket still turns a profit on milk

Because I honestly believe that educating the public as to reducing margins for primary producers is a hugely important and under utilised tactic in trying to get a fair share of the price of produce.
    I assume that you thought I was having a swipe at the IFA? I'm not pro or anti IFA and believe that we need a strong representation. However we are not achieving that at the moment with all of the different organisations and the disjointed approach that brings.

Great Post. I do fear that it is too late as we may have lost the battle with our consumers but I fully support any attempt to win back some ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Almond and soya milk are mainly water with a squeeze of almond or soya and sweeteners most people buying these products should be educated on what actually are in them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭cosatron

Have a carton of coolbawn here by aldi and it has the NDC stamp on it. Ifa are raving as usual

From what I can see it was a bad misdirected swipe at one milk purchaser. There's own brand milk in most retailers, but they went after Strathroys milk. The ad is asking retailers to pay for more expensive milk, from processors who pay the farmers less. The milk is from Irish farms.
    If the IFA really wanted to help farmers re liquid milk they could publish a 1 page ad on the FJ with the prices the coops and processors are paying.for liquid milk. They we could see who and where the inefficiencies lay.
    If I was a large process who was failing to pick up over 12 new suppliers in the last month and who was being out bid for retail contracts, that's the kind of ad I'd come up with. Why is the ifa doing it. Strathroy don't collect subs btw.
    The IFA should have bigger fish to fry such as dairy and meat alternatives, misinformation re farm emissions and animal.welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭roosterman71

cosatron wrote: »
    Have a carton of coolbawn here by aldi and it has the NDC stamp on it. Ifa are raving as usual

Think the 2 and 3L ones don't have it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Water John

All multiples have their own brand labels. Usual policy of Aldi certainly, not so sure about Lidl is to have two suppliers of most such products.
    Getting stroppy about Strathroy is quite ridicolous. The Cunninghams trade on both sides of the border, so do Lakeland. Iv'e seen Strathroy milk in the shops in Schull. Explain what is wrong with them buying milk in Wexford, processing it in NI and shipping it all the ways to WC and still making a profit. Tells you the margin the processors with their branded milk is making for them.
    Wrong fight.

cosatron wrote: »

Some does some doesn't it depends on where its being supplied from

• Advertisement

From what I can see it was a bad misdirected swipe at one milk purchaser. There's own brand milk in most retailers, but they went after Strathroys milk. The ad is asking retailers to pay for more expensive milk, from processors who pay the farmers less. The milk is from Irish farms.
    If the IFA really wanted to help farmers re liquid milk they could publish a 1 page ad on the FJ with the prices the coops and processors are paying.for liquid milk. They we could see who and where the inefficiencies lay.
    If I was a large process who was failing to pick up over 12 new suppliers in the last month and who was being out bid for retail contracts, that's the kind of ad I'd come up with. Why is the ifa doing it. Strathroy don't collect subs btw.
    The IFA should have bigger fish to fry such as dairy and meat alternatives, misinformation re farm emissions and animal.welfare.

All farmers suppling winter contracts are being taken for a ride its unfair and utterly untrue to suggest anything else. shop brand milk is all used as a loss leader. The supermarket is not taking the loss so someone else is food ingredients in general are way to cheap all farmers are under paid for there produce

Advertisement