Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

All farmers suppling winter contracts are being taken for a ride its unfair and utterly untrue to suggest anything else. shop brand milk is all used as a loss leader. The supermarket is not taking the loss so someone else is food ingredients in general are way to cheap all farmers are under paid for there produce

Same as larry and the beef cartel that's going on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭green daries

lab man wrote: »
    Same as larry and the beef cartel that's going on

Absolutely maybe in a slightly different guise but the coop cry poor mouth and pass the loss back to the farmers same as Larry crying about glues and exchange rates and full chillers
    As for the fruit and veg side it's just highway robbery what the supermarket does there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Jizique

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Almond and soya milk are mainly water with a squeeze of almond or soya and sweeteners most people buying these products should be educated on what actually are in them

That’s my point - maybe the money should be spent on promoting milk and/or attacking the imported almond/soya alternative rather than attacking your own side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,711 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Local shop sells 2 litres of strathroy milk for 1.80

Here's the tesco one. Will see if I can find receipt to see how much it was .€1.49 for 2 litres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Explain ??

That add is misleading at best and I hope the ifa didn’t pay too much for it ,coops are nearly as much at fault as supermarkets in this any coop involved in liquid milk will undercut the ****e out of another to get volume thru a plant to make a minuscule margin ,or break even at best .are the ifa providing a smoke screen for them here ,aurivo and Arrabawn I know supply milk for clonbawn and strathroy puck Irish milk and process it up north they forgot to mention this .that add IMO is an own goal and yet again the farmer and liquid supplier is the fall guy

Strathroy( roi suppliers), Aurivo, Arrabawn and others. Looks like the ad was for the benefit of some of the processors and not necessarily farmers

The add was stupid and damaging and your point there re been for processors benefit is bang on ,thing is processors are at fault too as they have to bid for these contracts and will go low as they can to get it and get one over on a rival .....and who picks up the can ......the ejet milking the Cow supplying liquid milk

I think it's excellent and long overdue they also need to lead on with the fact that milk is sold as a loss leader in the supermarket but its the farmers who subsidise it the supermarket still turns a profit on milk

The add is just short of a disgrace and downright stupid ....u forgot another point the farmer is subbing poor choices and failings within the coop structure too make no doubt here processors who are in liquid are as culpable as the supermarkets ,they have to bid for these contracts

mahoney_j wrote: »
    The add is just short of a disgrace and downright stupid ....u forgot another point the farmer is subbing poor choices and failings within the coop structure too make no doubt here processors who are in liquid are as culpable as the supermarkets ,they have to bid for these contracts

The add is not stupid probably could be worded slightly differently the but it is not stupid.as I have stated in the post its the farmers who take the loss but yes 100% agree with you that the coops have a lot to answer for they have thrown away farmers margin over the last ten years (most damage was done in the first two years of the arrival of tesco.ie) these products are fake misleading labeling same is done with a huge range of products brought into this country and advertised as Irish when they are not
    The ndc logo part is what everyone is noticing but the blatant misleading advertising is the main thrust of the add
    The supermarkets don't care about suppliers to there shelves they just want it cheaper than it was last time we did a contract they will remove products on a whim
    Any dirty trick they can employ to reduce their costs they do do

The add is not stupid probably could be worded slightly differently the but it is not stupid.as I have stated in the post its the farmers who take the loss but yes 100% agree with you that the coops have a lot to answer for they have thrown away farmers margin over the last ten years (most damage was done in the first two years of the arrival of tesco.ie) these products are fake misleading labeling same is done with a huge range of products brought into this country and advertised as Irish when they are not
    The ndc logo part is what everyone is noticing but the blatant misleading advertising is the main thrust of the add
    The supermarkets don't care about suppliers to there shelves they just want it cheaper than it was last time we did a contract they will remove products on a whim
    Any dirty trick they can employ to reduce their costs they do do

Processors are every bit as culpable they play there part when bidding for contracts majority of people couldn’t care less about a clonbawn or a colree dairy name ,clonbawn is Irish milk from Irish farms supplied by aurivo and Arrabawn

• Advertisement

Processors are every bit as culpable they play there part when bidding for contracts majority of people couldn’t care less about a clonbawn or a colree dairy name ,clonbawn is Irish milk from Irish farms supplied by aurivo and Arrabawn

100% agree re coops .did that not come across in my reply aurivo and glanbia absolutely fell over each other to throw away farmers margin
    And then had the cheek to say that we can't make a return for the farmers on these products.
    Re the fake product names my argument is more broad I believe that any food products being mislabelled as Irish because they are processed here but not produced here should be illegal that goes for all Irish grown food
    Re the packaging and naming it has been proven that it does effect the shopper and the choices they make when shopping so it is something that we all should be concerned about
    It's undermining the value added products that we all are looking for the coops factories to provide as a better return

Oh to be able to speak like Albert Johnson ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I suppose a little background to the way things work in liquid milk.you have 2 sides to it now as delivered milk is very much in the minority.first you have your branded milk,avonmore,clona,or whatever and they must compete for listings in the supermarket.then you have own label where different dairies tender for a contract to supply a chain or a portion of it for a set period of time.while the supermarkets are running it ,its up to the dairies to price it so ultimately the price is dictated by the dairies.these contracts move around so unless the ifa is saying that stratroy or whoever has these contracts pays less to the farmer to get these contracts which i dont belive is the case with stratroy it looks to me that the ifa is just trying to favour another party to get the contract.unless it is part of some overall plan to target each of the supermarket chains it does seem to be a bit shady.

K.G. wrote: »
    I suppose a little background to the way things work in liquid milk.you have 2 sides to it now as delivered milk is very much in the minority.first you have your branded milk,avonmore,clona,or whatever and they must compete for listings in the supermarket.then you have own label where different dairies tender for a contract to supply a chain or a portion of it for a set period of time.while the supermarkets are running it ,its up to the dairies to price it so ultimately the price is dictated by the dairies.these contracts move around so unless the ifa is saying that stratroy or whoever has these contracts pays less to the farmer to get these contracts which i dont belive is the case with stratroy it looks to me that the ifa is just trying to favour another party to get the contract.unless it is part of some overall plan to target each of the supermarket chains it does seem to be a bit shady.

I hope it's not the case as strathroy seem to make a better return overall to it's supplier than a lot of the coops. these ads should be rolled out for all products that are wishy-washy on origin and on brand labels across all food products available in supermarkets Lidl and aldi do seems to be the worst offenders when it comes to milk the other stores carry own labels but they are not labelled as coming from a fictional creamery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

What does everyone think of the suggestion in the ifj that Glanbia might use your 19 and 20 peak month's supply as a reference and pay you less for surplus this year due to processing limit's? Also that 32c fixed, fairly rubbish 2bh in light of increasing costs, higher rents, fert, longer winters, and the gdt auction results.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

It's hilarious at this stage, they laugh at lads looking for a winter contract, but now they essentially want a flatter supply, ya can't win with them.

How does this sit with the msa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Are there provisions in the milk contracts that Glanbia suppliers contracts that allow them to limit the supply?

Are they just being extra greedy. Will other co-ops follow suit?

For a new entrant who is gradually expanding, will they be caught by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Timmaay wrote: »
    Will wait to hear more before making a judgement but initially its a bit of a blow.
    Effectively this makes it very difficult for small supplier like me to expand profitably should I get the opportunity.
    Doing the figures roughly, for me to expand to 100 cows will cost me roughly 10000 in price penalties, yet a new entrant can expand away up to 550000 litres..
    Also the 2.5% allowance for larger herds means very little to them in most cases, but that level of production for example on a 500 cow herd would equate to a 50 percent increase of my production but I will be payed 30% less for most of that extra milk.. insignificant I'd say to the larger supplier but massive for a small supplier like myself.
    The retirement scheme may be the best option here, food for thought anyway

It's probably a big blow to my farm in that we are expanding and only exited liquid milk products in 2020, so without a doubt my April may and June profiles will be larger moving forward. I would of happily stuck out the existing liquid bonus system where late calving spring cows filled my liquid bonus but Glanbia told me I had to start calving cows in the autumn again. Instead I sold the liquid quota and took what I thought was a very poor payment for it, which tied me back onto another 2yr msa. We definitely need the likes of Stratroy or another processor to step in and put it up to Glanbia again. Its not as if the world doesn't want our milk, China will take as much of it as it can get, the only minor constraint is the drying factory, that basically is Glanbias job, to take all our milk and provide us a fair market price for it, if they fail to do this then why the hell should we be committed to any sort of MSA, they are not holding up their end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

When branded first....it was supplied from Clóna and Arrabawn....hence Clonbawn...

Now neither has the contract..

alps wrote: »
    When branded first....it was supplied from Clóna and Arrabawn....hence Clonbawn...

Now neither has the contract..

But aurivo do .....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

How has this situation arisen at glanbia.are plants already at max after just 5 years of quota free.is it due the cheese plant hold ups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭straight

How has this situation arisen at glanbia.are plants already at max after just 5 years of quota free.is it due the cheese plant hold ups

Isn't an Taisce or someone objecting to the new plant or something. This is a big win for them. Tough going on any fella after investing to get going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Forecasted milk supply was vastly underestimated in the Glanbia catchment area plus taisce torpedoing the cheese plant joint venture, interestingly enough the crowd they where going into it with have bought a plant in mainland Europe with a 300 million litre milk pool, it mighten go ahead at all, you'd imagine they would if had the option of throwing up another drier in Belview on the original planning application as a get out of jail card but forward thinking isn't something the glanbia management are renowned for .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

straight wrote: »
    Isn't an Taisce or someone objecting to the new plant or something. This is a big win for them. Tough going on any fella after investing to get going.

Yes that's exactly it, that's why they're saying it's only temporary

I won't hold my breath, An Taisce could keep apposing it for years

Even if a lad milked no extra cows you'd send well over the 2.5% from herd maturity/ culling poor cows/ genetics

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Even if a lad milked no extra cows you'd send well over the 2.5% from herd maturity/ culling poor cows/ genetics
    Wonder will it be calculated on basis of litres or kgs milk solids..? Dare I say less cows same number of litres supplied may be a way for lads to go and tye industry on general..? Or maybe if it's based on litres oad might allow a lad to add cows in the hope restrictions were dropped in a couple of years??

Board members snd management should be heavily lobbied ,once that proposal is in it’ll stay running regardless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Board members snd management should be heavily lobbied ,once that proposal is in it’ll stay running regardless

Any board member I've talked to about it was against it

It's coming from the top down

If they haven't got the capacity what can be done? It's the reality of the situation unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

Did management not see this situation arising and if so it's shocking poor performance to allow it to happen. If they did why were new entrants that were not co op members allowed to supply milk recently? Surely the stainless steel that co op members had invested in for years such have been used to allow current members to grow? Hard questions that need to be asked.

Advertisement