Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

the coops could all decide to not quote for contracts of supermarkets own branded products for a start

ill be very interested to see how hard glanbia go after loosing last liquid contract, with a smoothing of supply and future payments of 3 and 4c for Dec, Jan and Feb milk they have a cheap source of winter milk.....clever way to get there costs down and supply up before next contract

3 and 4c for winter months doesnt come close to covering additional supplier costs....7/8c required with a base of 32

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

The more this goes on it looks like some sort of job backed by Glanbia as a shot across the bow towards other processors. Which is ironic because I don't think I've ever seen Glanbia branded milk. So this ****e talk about Coolbawn and the other fictional name is no worse than selling under Avonmore.

Originally you had Avonmore, Waterford Coop and Premier dairies

Avonmore bought Waterford coop and formed Glanbia

Glanbia then bought Premier Dairies

They are brand names and original dairies , not fictional like Lidl or Aldi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

Originally you had Avonmore, Waterford Coop and Premier dairies

Avonmore bought Waterford coop and formed Glanbia

Glanbia then bought Premier Dairies

They are brand names and original dairies , not fictional like Lidl or Aldi

Glanbia subsequently bought CMP (Cork Milk Producers) and still market milk in Cork under that brand...even though there is no Cork milk in it😥

https://www.cmpdairies.com/

That wouldn't be trying to deceive the consumer though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭green daries

alps wrote: »
    Glanbia subsequently bought CMP (Cork Milk Producers) and still market milk in Cork under that brand...even though there is no Cork milk in it😥

It could be seen as such but it is still a valid brand name and has a point of conception as a cooperative brand name is there no Cork liquid supply in glanbia?
    Glanbia are a law onto themselves......and the
    Rest take their lead from them

i still cant get over kerrygold butter not being made at all in kerry:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭green daries

Ya I totally didn't believe it when I was first told that
    But look its the same as many companies they buy brands and other companies and keep selling under those brands like fiatagri owns new Holland case styer etc and use cnh as a vehicle to control its brands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Shir dubliner cheese is out of carbery as well. Whatever about the multiples creating fictitious names of creameries for their own brand milk, there is an issue in that if all coops decided not to supply at whatever price the CCPC would kick up a fuss. Part of the reason the Danone and Pfizer's are happy here is they have multiple coops to buy off and hop off each other.
    Farmers supply milk thru the winter with which the processer doesn't pay a bonus on then gives them a cheaper supply with which to undercut the next crowd.
    With all that then it's the farmers margin which is left to be squeezed
    On the supermarket side I dunno what can be done bar legislation against loss leader type selling etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,831 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Mooooo wrote: »
    Shir dubliner cheese is out of carbery as well. Whatever about the multiples creating fictitious names of creameries for their own brand milk, there is an issue in that if all coops decided not to supply at whatever price the CCPC would kick up a fuss.

So what's the problem with Aldi using Coolbawn or Dunnes using there's. Why did the IFA use the discounters as an example. After all Dunnes was slightly worse false dairy and worse we do not know where the milk came from.

Slava Ukrainii

Farmers supply milk thru the winter with which the processer doesn't pay a bonus on then gives them a cheaper supply with which to undercut the next crowd.

I have exactly the same price with beef. It equal all year around. I have the attitude that if there is no margin I do not produce. However milk producers feel they are different why so. Stop the extra early calves, and dry off earlier.bIf enough donut there is profit for the lad that wants to produce winter milk. However he has to understand that his profit margin is limited by shoulder milk.
    It's a bit like the beef farmer expecting to house 4-500 cattle and expect Larry to give him a margin

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭morphy87

Just reading up on the Glanbia situation, how long do ye think these restrictions will be in?

I see they are no longer accepting new entrants that are not co op members, I presume you can’t buy these shares to become a co op member?

Is this the end of Glanbia accepting new entrants do ye reckon long term?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ozil10

Webinar on glanbia peak milk supply for 2022 onwards at 11am today
    Farmers journal hosting
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/glanbias-new-peak-supply-rules-can-they-work-610431

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,711 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

ozil10 wrote: »
    Webinar on glanbia peak milk supply for 2022 onwards at 11am today
    Farmers journal hosting
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/glanbias-new-peak-supply-rules-can-they-work-610431

How did it go?

only caught some of it, at least molloy owned up to the management oversight on planning, they should have done better contingency planning

if they dont reach max processing capacity they wouldnt fine/pay reduced price suppliers in any given month which is a positive

how much extra supply will it mean for each supplier when/if chesse factory goes ahead?? think were back to quota/production rights long term

virgina site doesnt sound promising for expansion they need some sort of discharge licence....you would have to question why glanbia closed down processing sites over the years considering the difficulty getting them through planning

going to put a lot of pressure on farmers on the ground who invested heavily and are still in growth stage with loans based on supply targets
    so much for the "you supply it and well process it mantra from management", profit margin of glanbia ireland should be adjusted to share pain seen as managment failed to manage supply correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

I can't get over what it might have been called
    https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/food-drink/kerrygold-irish-butter-launch#:~:text=Kerrygold%20Pure%20Irish%20Butter%2C%20created,The%20Irish%20Milk%20Board').&text=It%20was%20not%20until%201973,available%20for%20sale%20in%20Ireland.

The name for the brand was chosen in 1962 from a total of 60 suggestions. Some of the names proposed include Shannon Gold, Tub-o-gold, Golden Farm, Butter-cup, and even Leprechaun.
    So what's the problem with Aldi using Coolbawn or Dunnes using there's.
    Probably none, and I'd imagine you'll find cartons of Coolbawn gracing many a farmer's table.

Like this one, from earlier in this thread
    whelan2 wrote: »
    This is from the aldi clonbawn milk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Is the problem it says on label it is produced by clonbawn creamary which is non existent ,Dunnes/supervalu etc own branded milk just says on label produced for dunnes in convoy,donegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

cute geoge wrote: »
    Is the problem it says on label it is produced by clonbawn creamary which is non existent ,Dunnes/supervalu etc own branded milk just says on label produced for dunnes in convoy,donegal

Does any farmer supply Convoy?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

cute geoge wrote: »
    Is the problem it says on label it is produced by clonbawn creamary which is non existent
    In a context where a feature of Lidl and Aldi is they've lots of knock-off brands; like Dairyfine Chocolate.

Total storm in a teacup. 95% of milk is for export, in any event.

Had a quick look at the Household Budget Survey (last one seems to be 2015, but the point still stands). Average household spent something like €120 per week on groceries, less than €4 of which was on milk.

The (maybe) 1% of milk production sold by Aldi and Lidl, accounting for less than 1% of Irish household spend on food, hardly justifies a national campaign. What are they at?

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Does any farmer supply Convoy?

Branding is what it is, you've only to look at the bullsheet in the whiskey business, a couple of distilleries and brand multitudes.
    Another fine example is Glenstall butter.
    AFAIK. .. ex Tipp co-op background entrepreneurs that happened to put up a shed in the townland are marketing Arrabawn bulk products under an own brand.
    Fair enough but then the best bit is when the butter gets sent to Belgium, and they get some back in a fancy wrapper and 250g little cylinders with a lovely blurb about family farms, the golden vale grass, and soft rain. It goes on to win the overall Blas na hEireann prize a few years back! Air miles add flavour!
    In fairness to them they weren't even there to collect the prize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Kerry are up to 34, I think another coop are as well. Price across all coops should rise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Lakeland on 34.34cpl plus an unconditional bonus os 1cpl.

Kerry are up to 34, I think another coop are as well. Price across all coops should rise

From Mondays text :

Glanbia Member March milk price 34.6cpl inc VAT and Share of GI Profit. GI base price up 1.5cpl to 34.18cpl. Read more: https://bit.ly/3mGjR7x

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭eastie17

Or that Dairygold make Kerrygold and Kerry make Dairygold
    Bit of a brain melter that one

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Gman1987

eastie17 wrote: »

Ornua make Kerrygold

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭eastie17

Gman1987 wrote: »
    Ornua make Kerrygold

At the Castlefarm site in Mitchelstown on leased Dairygold land using DG cream from the Castlefarm site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭einn32

I remember the last of that Dairygold spread production line leaving Castlefarm years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Gman1987

At the Castlefarm site in Mitchelstown on leased Dairygold land using DG cream from the Castlefarm site.

Plus cream from Carbery and Aurivo

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Lios67

39.65 inc vat Dairygold

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Kerry unchanged at 34 cent for April

• Advertisement

Glanbia Member April milk price 34.6cpl inc VAT and Share of GI Profit. GI base price unchanged at 34.18cpl. Read more: https://bit.ly/3hoVESm

Advertisement