Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

Timmaay wrote: »
    Jezz Ed yes OK your defo right, all us farmers are not arsed anymore and have stopped expanding, the one single month of statistics that buckles the trend definely proves expansion is over, we'll all go join you in your negativity now. So can we go back to the milk price now please.

I was only asking a question? The calving interval figures are from the ICBF and not mine. Don't shoot the messenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    I was only asking a question? The calving interval figures are from the ICBF and not mine. Don't shoot the messenger.

Still taking nothing from it as no data from 15,16 and this spring

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Still taking nothing from it as no data from 15,16 and this spring

Pulling back the average calving interval from 396 days to 336 days as has been suggested here would be highly unlikely, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭hurling_lad

OK, take the glanbia price of 31c, that works out at 6.65e/kg of protein, and 2.89e/kg bf. In the below formula take A as your protein and B as your fat (both in %)

((((A x 6.65) + (B x 2.89))x1.035) - 4) x 1.054

In the above 1.035 is the density of milk, and 5.4 the vat rate.

I've fired this all into a spreadsheet (while I sit here wasting my morning at the mart ha), in this example I've put in my March figures of protein at 3.6, and bf at 4.2, and got out an expected price of 35.2c/L.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong with any of the above, I already see a small Rounding mistake of some sort, the base price should be working out bang on 31c, not the 31.1c ha.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/196m044UJNmn-BQk7jgnYaVG2_7U2ZdI1a9JW5kQLATE/edit?usp=drivesdk
    Hate to be the pedantic pat but it's actually 665 e/kg of protein and 289 e/kg of bfat.

What i never could figure out is how they come up with those 2 figures. For example, for a basic price of 31c, Dairygold pays 639 e/kg protein and 315 e/kg bfat :confused:
    Yeh your right, I got lazy and left it as 6.65 and 2.89 because it conveniently cancelled out the divide by 100 in the protein and fat percents ha.

On how it's calculated, Glanbia have a fixed pr to bf price ratio of 2.3, we already have one formula of milk price = a+b-c (were c is always 4c/l), using the ratio above, our 2nd formula is a/b =2.3. When glanbia decide it will set a milk price of 31c, all they need to do is put that into the 1st formula, and then solve for a and b using the 2 formulas above.

And of course, the price of 31c is actually with the vat refund amount included, Glanbia only have to cough up 29.3c for each litre, the tax man gives us the other 1.7c, it sounds much better from Glanbias front that we are being paid 31c and not 29.3c though ha.

That's a brilliant reply to my original query thanks Timmaay. In my first stab at calculating this, I wasn't excluding VAT properly.

*snip*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Isn't it some fuk up we can not calculate what we get for our milk without having to resort to algebra .We could be conned a couple of cent a litre for our milk and we could not even prove it .
    Is there any simple system to calculate to double check the price on our statements.
    I can understand you multiply total litres X 1.0297 to get total of kgs of milk
    What i cannot figure is how to convert cent / litre to cent per kg

• Advertisement

cute geoge wrote: »
    Isn't it some fuk up we can not calculate what we get for our milk without having to resort to algebra .We could be conned a couple of cent a litre for our milk and we could not even prove it .
    Is there any simple system to calculate to double check the price on our statements.

The nub of the problem is that we have maintained c/L incl VAT at standard solids as the 'headline' milk price instead of €/KG protein and fat which is what we are actually paid for nowadays. That adds several unnecessary figures (namely the milk density, the VAT rate and the standard % P and F) into the calculation of actual milk price for given solids.

One reason that the processors would be slow to change at the moment is that they absorb any increase that the government puts on the VAT % themselves rather than passing it on to the farmer as they would have to if they quoted the Protein/Fat price excluding VAT.

*snip*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭cute geoge

An A1 genuine farmer told me last year that his price/litre was calculated incorrectly by the creamery and he was refunded what was due but how the hell he could work it out is beyond me!!!

P.s. kerry claim to have paid 31cent/litre for feburary but in fact that would include a bonus of 0.4 cent for scc less then 200

cute geoge wrote: »

And the more and complex ways they can figure out to pay for our milk , the harder it will be for farmer's to compare the performance of different processors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Have worked on this since Original question was raised. Easily enough worked out on Dairygold statement as they give the price per .1% protein and B'fat on the milk statement. So its just a case of a few simple calculations. Example: Farmer has protein of 3.47 and Butterfat of 4.26.

A(.347 X .6581) = .22836
    +
    B(.426 X ..3248) = .13836
    = .36672
    -
    C(.04) = .32672
    +Bonus = .005
    = .33175
    +vat@5.4%. = .01791
    = .3496

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Gdt up 1.6% at latest auction.smp down 0.8% but wmp up slightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Kerry2016

With the average age of farmers being around the 60 mark in Ireland it's tough to see how we as a country will continue to increase milk production. Even for people converting to dairying from beef or tillage, they don't have a whole pile of incentive when there is only a few cents a litre of a profit margin.

I read some of the above posts where someone arose the idea that maybe their Co Op might try dodge paying as much for their milk as they are suppose to. I find such a situation highly unlikely to ever occur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Water John

One thing for sure, you won't be overpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭The part time boy

Kerry2016 wrote: »
    With the average age of farmers being around the 60 mark

Do you have a sourse for that stat ?

Do you have a sourse for that stat ?

The Farmers Journal

I am surprised at that stat tbh.

When I was in my mid teens ( all of nearly 25 years ago , jesus !) all I used to hear was there no young farmers coming up and all the Farmers are too old.

All them old farmers have passed away or not farming anymore and yet here we are with still farmers around.

The anomaly is because farmers dont retire and the next generation don't get handed over the reins untill they are older it causes the avarge age to be high. I would not have taugh it was in the 60 though . Be interested how the journal got that stat.

Because the number of dairy farmers have been dropping rapidly, it means less young people are entering than are retiring out the other end.
    That skews the stats upwards. Like three 70 year olds retiring, for one 20 year old starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Water John wrote: »
    Because the number of dairy farmers have been dropping rapidly, it means less young people are entering than are retiring out the other end.
    That skews the stats upwards. Like three 70 year olds retiring, for one 20 year old starting.

I'd say the number of people taking up a career in dairy farming has been pretty steady over the past 40 years. Probably fell away a bit in the early noughties but rose a bit over the past few years to balance it out.

There less farmers because a 20 cow herd is no longer viable for a full time income.

Farms have got bigger to survive. Survival of the fitest and all that.

Now are we going down the right road that farms have time get bigger and we end up with factory farms ? That's a different discussion but that what has happened over the last 30 years.

To say there no young farmers and the future dead I think his very overly negative.

There some very good young farmers out there and I think the future is bright.

Depends how you look on life I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

In this parish when I began me and my friend were the only dairy farmers under 25, ten years later... I'm the second youngest dairy farmer.. still( big dairy area)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

There less farmers because a 20 cow herd is no longer viable for a full time income.

That's the essence of it. The more meaningful figure would be the average age of a farmer farming farms around the median size.... although even that would be skewed by family farms where the herd number remains in the elder generations name often for perfectly sound reasons.

Articles quoting the high age of farmers are almost always seeded by press releases from organisations promoting land transfer incentives, selling or proposing regulation requiring additional educational qualifications, advising on land transfer etc... or advocating tax incentives.

Which is all well and good, but I don't think we're going to suddenly run out of either farmers or food, we've more than our fair share of both.

Milk production has to tail off if you think about it

Young people not wanting to go farming leads to less farmers which leads to less milk. Simple

This is not to say that farming is doomed or anything, just because there's less people farming doesn't mean we'll be any worse off, probably the opposite actually

I wouldn't put the average age of Irish farmers being high down to any conspiracy either, there really is very few young people taking it up or at least that's the case here

And no offence to anyone with a 20 cow herd but being tied down having to milk 20 cows morning and evening is surely a waste of any mans time?

I must live in a not avarge area. On our road there 8 active farmers .

20-30 = 1
    30-40 = 4
    40 -50 = 1
    50 - 60 = 1

The 50 guy has a 25 year old son involved.

4 of the guys in the first two ranges are farming with older farmers but the younger guys has taken the lead.

So if we looked at the road on paper we could easily count the 4 lads that's have taken the lead as older farmers if we include the older farmers . There also 3 lads in there 70 's on the road who don't farm there land and is rented out .

So on paper can paint a very differnt piture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

And no offence to anyone with a 20 cow herd but being tied down having to milk 20 cows morning and evening is surely a waste of any mans time?

Absolutely. Which is why my relentless pursuit of efficiency is taking me up to 24.

Hopefully now we won't see prices fall at the end of 2017 a some had worried about. http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/prices-continue-to-climb-at-the-latest-global-dairy-trade-auction/

Also in another artical. Teagasc recon 90k a year profit is a reasonable target at 29.5c even after renting land and paying for labour ?

Can we expect a shortage of teagasc advisers as they all jack in their jobs to become dairy farmers themselves?

Well a fella on Agriland, I think, organic, had his break even as 30c/litre.
    Don't think there is a massive discrepancy between mainstream and organic.

Well a fella on Agriland, I think, organic, had his break even as 30c/litre.
    Don't think there is a massive discrepancy between mainstream and organic.

I know a very good organic farmer who tells me his costs are comparable to conventional. It would seem use of on farm inputs are critical so no fertilizer bill helps compensate for other losses. I also know an organic grain grower who told me his gross margin before bfp for 2016 was 700 euro per acre. Supplying Flavin's with organic oats as well as feed to other farmers.

I know very little about grain growing, so I am just telling you what the man told me. I could be wrong but he didn't appear to be Willy waving. At least if he was it wasn't visible.

Young people not wanting to go farming leads to less farmers which leads to less milk. Simple

This is not to say that farming is doomed or anything, just because there's less people farming doesn't mean we'll be any worse off, probably the opposite actually

I wouldn't put the average age of Irish farmers being high down to any conspiracy either, there really is very few young people taking it up or at least that's the case here

In recent years, there has been a decrease in the number of dairy farmers (as older farmers with smaller holdings retire), but milk production is increasing at double digits every year. The only limiting factors to milk production in the country, as I see it, are land availability and staff availability.

No matter what way you look at it, dairying is the most lucrative use for most of the land in the country, so milk production is likely to continue to increase.

In recent years, there has been a decrease in the number of dairy farmers (as older farmers with smaller holdings retire), but milk production is increasing at double digits every year. The only limiting factors to milk production in the country, as I see it, are land availability and staff availability.

No matter what way you look at it, dairying is the most lucrative use for most of the land in the country, so milk production is likely to continue to increase.

In Ag College we were told that if you are someone that's turning your farm into a dairy farm you'd need to be starting with at least 90 cows for it to be worthwhile… if you were in a greenfield site you can take it for granted it would cost €5,000/cow to start the whole thing off, you'd have a lot of cows milked by the time you'd the initial outlay paid off. Would someone in good land not be better off farming part time with some dry cattle and letting them run and then having a full time job as well

• Advertisement

In Ag College we were told that if you are someone that's turning your farm into a dairy farm you'd need to be starting with at least 90 cows for it to be worthwhile… if you were in a greenfield site you can take it for granted it would cost €5,000/cow to start the whole thing off, you'd have a lot of cows milked by the time you'd the initial outlay paid off. Would someone in good land not be better off farming part time with some dry cattle and letting them run and then having a full time job as well

Funny how some teagasc advisers do exactly that.

Advertisement