Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭hurling_lad

Kerry2016 wrote: »
    In Ag College we were told that if you are someone that's turning your farm into a dairy farm you'd need to be starting with at least 90 cows for it to be worthwhile… if you were in a greenfield site you can take it for granted it would cost €5,000/cow to start the whole thing off, you'd have a lot of cows milked by the time you'd the initial outlay paid off. Would someone in good land not be better off farming part time with some dry cattle and letting them run and then having a full time job as well

If you are working full-time at something else, is it worthwhile to bother with farming at all for the level of profit that you would make off dry cattle?

I would say no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Any news on milk price or what coops are thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Talking to board member on Dairygold yesterday and he expects price to hold untill after peak but to drop then. He said the higher solids will carry us through then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Talking to board member on Dairygold yesterday and he expects price to hold untill after peak but to drop then. He said the higher solids will carry us through then!

this is what they've (all co ops not just DG) been advocating all along, Ornua are even saying likewise when pushed

would be great to pull production & make the feckers pay through the nose for it... won't happen though ..paddy will play straight in their barrow with the meal & fert. merchants smiling

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Fixture

orm0nd wrote: »
    this is what they've (all co ops not just DG) been advocating all along, Ornua are even saying likewise when pushed

would be great to pull production & make the feckers pay through the nose for it... won't happen though ..paddy will play straight in their barrow with the meal & fert. merchants smiling

All depends what happens in NZ, USA and the big EU producers Germany, France & Holland. We don't really matter to global trade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Fixture wrote: »
    All depends what happens in NZ, USA and the big EU producers Germany, France & Holland. We don't really matter to global trade

We matter more than you might think. Pre quota abolition we basically produced the EU surplus. The EU had around 5% of it's production available for export outside the bloc. We had around 5% of EU production and exported 80%of what we produced. Only around 75 billion litres traded internationally. Our5 billion litres available for export not insignificant in that context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭alps

We matter more than you might think. Pre quota abolition we basically produced the EU surplus. The EU had around 5% of it's production available for export outside the bloc. We had around 5% of EU production and exported 80%of what we produced. Only around 75 billion litres traded internationally. Our5 billion litres available for export not insignificant in that context.

Big time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The off topic posts were moved into their own thread, link below.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103166418#post103166418

BTJ.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

I don't always agree with the views of the farm organizations but hard to disagree with this and about time too. http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/labour-must-be-included-in-the-cost-of-irish-milk-production/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    I don't always agree with the views of the farm organizations but hard to disagree with this and about time too. http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/labour-must-be-included-in-the-cost-of-irish-milk-production/

Won't make a bit of difference to your milk price, you'll get the market value and that'll be it.....bit of a joke really..
    Sure I might as well throw a €100k labour cost on my sheep enterprise....might get €15/kg next autumn :D

• Advertisement

rangler1 wrote: »
    Won't make a bit of difference to your milk price, you'll get the market value and that'll be it.....bit of a joke really..
    Sure I might as well throw a €100k labour cost on my sheep enterprise....might get €15/kg next autumn :D

Maybe if you took your labour costs in to account you might find you could make more money working in McDonald's? That is really the whole point of it I would have thought? Plus if we are all running around like headless chickens and not putting any value on our time, yes it does lead to milk being produced using free labour. Last time I heard free labour and slavery were pretty closely related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Maybe if you took your labour costs in to account you might find you could make more money working in McDonald's? That is really the whole point of it I would have thought? Plus if we are all running around like headless chickens and not putting any value on our time, yes it does lead to milk being produced using free labour. Last time I heard free labour and slavery were pretty closely related.

Hopefully it actually costs in at least a tenner a hour the "elite" group of lads who get students every spring for calving, have to laugh when i see lads spouting on about their low cost easy run 90% calved in 6 week systems and on the same foot been given two students in some cases to get them over calving at 300 odd euro a week total cost.....

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Hopefully it actually costs in at least a tenner a hour the "elite" group of lads who get students every spring for calving, have to laugh when i see lads spouting on about their low cost easy run 90% calved in 6 week systems and on the same foot been given two students in some cases to get them over calving at 300 odd euro a week total cost.....

According to the comic Greenfields weren't even paying minimum wage to the night calver. 11 hours a night for six weeks for a stated cost of €3000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭mf240

According to the comic Greenfields weren't even paying minimum wage to the night calver. 11 hours a night for six weeks for a stated cost of €3000.

Ah but look at the experience he was getting.

Those high ebi cows cslve on there own anyway. I think the ones over 200 ebi are able to put iodine of the calves navel

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭hurling_lad

I don't see a problem. If low-cost labour is available at a busy time, any businessperson would use it.

There's a reason that students/apprentices aren't eligible for full minimum wage be that in farming, plumbing or whatever sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Your net profit can be your labour cost and you can decide whether you're better off working in Mc Donalds or not, but highlighting it to Tesco and whingeing that it's not enough won't be worth the bother I can assure you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I don't see a problem. If low-cost labour is available at a busy time, any businessperson would use it.

There's a reason that students/apprentices aren't eligible for full minimum wage be that in farming, plumbing or whatever sector.

The problem is we have teagasc throwing out figures at these guys opendays who ritually get students every year about how efficent and low cost their systems are, take lads that are crowing about running 200 plus cows as mostly one man bands but routinely get two students to get them over the spring, on a normal unit who have to actually source labour and pay accordingly they would have to be allowing minimum 800 odd euro a week if they need outside help at 70 hours a week provided lads can even be sourced...
    The farm with two students is only looking at a 300 euro a week outlay for 12 weeks this is a saving of 6 plus grand that goes towards inflating their profit pet hectare figures and inturn lends itself to the bulls##t cost op production of low 20's we see been published

rangler1 wrote: »
    Your net profit can be your labour cost and you can decide whether you're better off working in Mc Donalds or not, but highlighting it to Tesco and whingeing that it's not enough won't be worth the bother I can assure you

Already did that. Turns out my net profit is so high I'd have to get a job in a strip club to make it worth while to pack in the farming. Either that or get in to agri politics. Apparently that has more perks than people think . I don't see the problem in farmers valuing their time? How is it not a cost?

The problem is we have teagasc throwing out figures at these guys opendays who ritually get students every year about how efficent and low cost their systems are, take lads that are crowing about running 200 plus cows as mostly one man bands but routinely get two students to get them over the spring, on a normal unit who have to actually source labour and pay accordingly they would have to be allowing minimum 800 odd euro a week if they need outside help at 70 hours a week provided lads can even be sourced...
    The farm with two students is only looking at a 300 euro a week outlay for 12 weeks this is a saving of 6 plus grand that goes towards inflating their profit pet hectare figures and inturn lends itself to the bulls##t cost op production of low 20's we see been published

Do you know how much it costs BMW to produce a car or how much it costs the dentist to fix your tooth or the the cost of any other product or service you care to mention? Yet we are the only group who are actively encouraged to publish figures that exaggerate how cheaply we can produce our product.

If you stop and think about that for a minute? It makes us farmers pretty unique in the world of business don't you think? Or is such a practice really that much in our best interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,740 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Any word on March milk price?

• Advertisement

Holding, I heard. Supposed to stay for the next 2 months as well and seems to be dropping then

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

6 grand on 300 cows adds up to €20 cow it's hardly going to make or break a system. It's adds up to .4 cent litre.
    Calving in 90 % six weeks is labour efficient spending half the year calving cows and breeding and calving at the same time isnt going to solve labour issues on farm.
    Any lads that get students should be treating them well. Students are also getting valuable experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I know apprentice electritians only getting that sort of money.
    Why should any apprentice get big money when he's coming to you to learn.
    I couldn't walk into a building site in the morning and start pulling wires here there and yonder and get 1000€ handed to me on Friday evening and I haven't a bulls notion what I'm at.

I know apprentice electritians only getting that sort of money.
    Why should any apprentice get big money when he's coming to you to learn.
    I couldn't walk into a building site in the morning and start pulling wires here there and yonder and get 1000€ handed to me on Friday evening and I haven't a bulls notion what I'm at.

Very few trade apprentices have any experience whatsoever starting off. Not a valid comparison. What are guys in their final year getting? How much over 40 hours do they work for this wage? How much weekend work? I've heard very few good stories in relation to his farm students/apprentices are treated. Endless horror stories. A friend of my father's with no farming bacjground asked him once what qualifications you needed to become a master farmer. Oul boy was real sharp the same night. "A spare room" was his reply. Yer man nearly choked on his pint with the laughter. If you knew the master farmer in question you'd see the humour too.

Glanbia hold price.

Check out this Article I found - http://www.farmersjournal.ie/glanbia-sets-milk-price-for-march-269105

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Aren't they out early for them? Is this to encourage others not to increase?
    Usually Lakeland and West Cork are first, if I'm not mistaken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,740 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Water John wrote: »
    Aren't they out early for them? Is this to encourage others not to increase?
    Usually Lakeland and West Cork are first, if I'm not mistaken?

Aye indeed. Back to the old tricks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Good point.

You'd need a hard hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Very few trade apprentices have any experience whatsoever starting off. Not a valid comparison. What are guys in their final year getting? How much over 40 hours do they work for this wage? How much weekend work? I've heard very few good stories in relation to his farm students/apprentices are treated. Endless horror stories. A friend of my father's with no farming bacjground asked him once what qualifications you needed to become a master farmer. Oul boy was real sharp the same night. "A spare room" was his reply. Yer man nearly choked on his pint with the laughter. If you knew the master farmer in question you'd see the humour too.

Do you know many farmers getting 2 students? I've never heard of any as there are not enough students to go around. If students are being treated badly it will get back to the college, and the next crop of students will definitely here about it and can refuse to go on placement there. Students get 122 minimum for 35 hours but most working at least 10 hours above that so prob getting closer to €250 if not more. And believe me Free there is days when youd want to be paid to have one around!

• Advertisement

I suppose the student issue while relevant, is really a side story to the fact that for the first time ever an Irish farm organization is suggesting we do our costs of production the same way as they do in every other European country and that includes putting a value on time. That for me is a milestone in the way farmers view themselves in this country. I for one certainty hope it comes to pass.

Advertisement