Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

The German's are including all costs unlike us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,740 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

How often do you get milk results WTC?
    have to admit I like getting my milk results on ever collection and it's something I would miss

Agree. I get them every day as we are still on every day collections here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    Agree. I get them every day as we are still on every day collections here.

I have results from 2 tests here this month. 6th and 12th. Right PITA

If my memory serves me correctly. Stratroy get their milk tested independently by a lab that is properly certified to iso 17025 standards. Correct me if I am wrong but they are possibly the only milk purchaser in the country doing this. Now before some of you start saying that other purchasers operate to iso 17025 standards, there is something that should be understood. Yes some purchasers claim to operate to iso 17025 standards, but they are not iso 17025 certified. There is a big difference and it largely boils down to semantics. It would be a bit like me saying that I could carry out brain surgery to the same standards as a Doctor, but as I am not a Doctor I would not be certified to do so and it would take a very brave and foolish person to allow me to operate on them. Southern milk testing cant be iso 17025 certified as the equipment is calibrated using Moorepark and as Mooreparks own equipment is not iso 17025 certified, it really is a case of the blind leading the blind.

Also the fact that Strathroys testing is done independently is something that other purchasers have never delivered on despite it have been official IFA policy since Adam was a boy. But when tested it turns out that IFA don't really want independent tasting after all, so it all gets a bit confusing.

I have results from 2 tests here this month. 6th and 12th. Right PITA

And the 18th just arrived. Must just be doing every second collection.

Waiting for a technician now to sort the vacuum pump. The second one died and trips the fuse.

Tempted to go on once a day today now.

• Advertisement

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    If my memory serves me correctly. Stratroy get their milk tested independently by a lab that is properly certified to iso 17025 standards. Correct me if I am wrong but they are possibly the only milk purchaser in the country doing this. Now before some of you start saying that other purchasers operate to iso 17025 standards, there is something that should be understood. Yes some purchasers claim to operate to iso 17025 standards, but they are not iso 17025 certified. There is a big difference and it largely boils down to semantics. It would be a bit like me saying that I could carry out brain surgery to the same standards as a Doctor, but as I am not a Doctor I would not be certified to do so and it would take a very brave and foolish person to allow me to operate on them. Southern milk testing cant be iso 17025 certified as the equipment is calibrated using Moorepark and as Mooreparks own equipment is not iso 17025 certified, it really is a case of the blind leading the blind.

Also the fact that Strathroys testing is done independently is something that other purchasers have never delivered on despite it have been official IFA policy since Adam was a boy. But when tested it turns out that IFA don't really want independent tasting after all, so it all gets a bit confusing.

The IF A has always been in favour of independent testing. The problem with pushing it is there is always a bigger fire to fight and a large proportion of members prefer the current situation where they believe they can get a poor test or two overturned with a phone call to their friendly manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

why is this starting to sound familiar to me.........I know
    You could go back 20 years and insert ''electronic grading'' instead of ''independent testing '' and now surprise surprise the spin is farmers were bullied in to accepting electronic grading.....see the same ould begrudgery in facebook about the new IFJ farm....some things never change.

Buyer always sets the price and standards, Get used to it.

rangler1 wrote: »
    why is this starting to sound familiar to me.........I know
    You could go back 20 years and insert ''electronic grading'' instead of ''independent testing '' and now surprise surprise the spin is farmers were bullied in to accepting electronic grading.....see the same ould begrudgery in facebook about the new IFJ farm....some things never change.

Buyer always sets the price and standards, Get used to it.

Well if that is IFA policy Rangler then they possibility should come clean and announce it rather than talking out of both sides of their mouth. Independent testing and electronic grading are two different things completely. Independent milk testing would involve the very same process as we have at the moment, but operated independently by a properly certified lab. The discretion of the purchaser to ignore a poor result would still exist just the independence of the result would be full accredited. But when given the opportunity to vote on it , to a man and woman the people leading the objections were all senior IFA officer's. That is a fact that can never be changed. So what exactly is IFAs position now as one could be forgiven for being confused surely?

Don't know about the rest of you but I find this a very confusing policy statement. https://www.ifa.ie/sectors/dairy/milk-testing/

On the one hand they are excepting that testing is not properly accredited and on the other hand they are pretty watery to say the least about what actions they plan to bring about change. The only thing we do know for sure is that given the opportunity they voted against it.

So I suppose if IFA/ Glanbia want to beat Strathroy with the line that somehow their testing is not good enough. Honesty I am not sure its a can of worms they would be wise to go opening. Starthroy are actually the only purchaser who are actually implementing what is supposedly IFA policy? Or at lest what we are led to believe it is .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well, we know how the position, articulated by a previous Chair of Dairy Committee, was knobbled by the fella under the umbrella at the ploughing.

Yes a buyer sets the price and standard on any product, but doesn't test and verify. We'll have all the beef and sheep guys letting the factory grade, without challenge.

• Advertisement

http://m.independent.ie/business/farming/ifa-abandons-independent-milk-testing-29457952.html

In fairness to Eddie Downey at least he was honest about where IFA stands. Pity they never updated their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Water John wrote: »
    Well, we know how the position, articulated by a previous Chair of Dairy Committee, was knobbled by the fella under the umbrella at the ploughing.

Yes a buyer sets the price and standard on any product, but doesn't test and verify. We'll have all the beef and sheep guys letting the factory grade, without challenge.

Factory grades my lambs, I have two choices, accept it or do something else..... they only have to change that arrangement when every one does some thing else. Incessant, dare I say, whingeing on and on is a waste of breath.
    Time to grow up methinks.
    Just edited to say that as an IFA officer I didn't always agree with IFA policy and like teddy cashman would say so......so fire me

https://twitter.com/ronh999dairy/status/855135852330184706

US milk production about to hit monthly all time high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

yes they do but they are tring to balance the supply curve so to have more manufacturing milk in line with other coops and to feed the new dryer they have up there . why not give them a ring and see wat they say to ya if interested . they are very fair and straight talking men

Its an evaporater that they have in Strathroy atm. It was built so they could take the spring milk glut and not be forced to sell it off at rock bottom prices. A dryer is in the pipeline tho.
    As one of the Cunningham bros said to me, we'll take any type of milk, even if it came out of yer own nipples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

we'll take any type of milk, even if it came out of yer own nipples

I don't think many of us would manage once a day given the strictures of the dairy farmers diet.

Probably a blessing in disguise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Base 31 received 34.085 @ 3.39p and 4.2bf
    difference of 6 cent between top and bottom 10% 35.26 and 29.16 respectively

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Fixture

Its an evaporater that they have in Strathroy atm. It was built so they could take the spring milk glut and not be forced to sell it off at rock bottom prices. A dryer is in the pipeline tho.
    As one of the Cunningham bros said to me, we'll take any type of milk, even if it came out of yer own nipples

Was told Strathroy milk from Wexford is currently being processed in North Cork creamery - dunno if true or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭White Clover

Fixture wrote: »
    Was told Strathroy milk from Wexford is currently being processed in North Cork creamery - dunno if true or not

You could be right on that, saw a strathroy tanker leaving there some day last week and was wondering where twas coming from.

That's interesting. Business is business. A good few processors, without making a hullabullo have a good lot of spare capacity. They have extended operations quietly without a big song and dance.

At present, along with their own milk, they're taking milk from dairygold, fealesbridge, Newtownsandes, limerick liquid milk producers and I'm fairly sure arrabawn too.

• Advertisement

Don't know of Arrabawn. The lads supplying them from around Milstreet might know. Arrabawn have a good bit of spare capacity. I think they processed less on contract, in Nenagh last year.
    Not sure why they would use North Cork, unless for a diff product line.

Don't know of Arrabawn. The lads supplying them from around Milstreet might know. Arrabawn have a good bit of spare capacity. I think they processed less on contract, in Nenagh last year.
    Not sure why they would use North Cork, unless for a diff product line.

Arrabawn drew into kanturk alot last year, the milk they're collecting is only 7 or 8 miles from kanturk. It would be madness to haul that milk as far as nenagh, over 70 miles.

White, that makes sense. Great to see their trucks around Cork though. Competition is good.

At present, along with their own milk, they're taking milk from dairygold, fealesbridge, Newtownsandes, limerick liquid milk producers and I'm fairly sure arrabawn too.

Maybe you could confirm this but I also heard they are brining milk from Scotland?

Maybe you could confirm this but I also heard they are brining milk from Scotland?

I don't know that. I haven't seen or heard about it. There was milk from Wales being processed there a year or 2 back.
    Where is the arrabawn milk from down your way being processed?

I don't know that. I haven't seen or heard about it. There was milk from Wales being processed there a year or 2 back.
    Where is the arrabawn milk from down your way being processed?

Last I heard it was going to Nenagh .I know in the past DG were a bit put out by Arrabawn taking milk from their ex supplier's in to north cork and north cork tended to avoid it if possible as they didn't want to rock the boat. But they were taking Arrabawn milk that was collected in Tipperary as that was seen to come from outside DGs catchment area.

So the Arrabawn tanker should collect milk on Tipp farms, bring it to NC. Then the same lorry goes out and collects Cork milk and takes it back to Nenagh?
    Just to keep Dairygold Mgmt from getting the heeby jeebies?

So the Arrabawn tanker should collect milk on Tipp farms, bring it to NC. Then the same lorry goes out and collects Cork milk and takes it back to Nenagh?
    Just to keep Dairygold Mgmt from getting the heeby jeebies?

Yes petty much, apparently North Cork worry about keeping the neighbours happy. If they didn't they could have increased their supplier base by a couple of hundred before contracts tied people down and would no longer depend on anyone else for milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭alps

So the Arrabawn tanker should collect milk on Tipp farms, bring it to NC.?

Arrabawn have suppliers in west Limerick with years.......thats a pretty short run into Kanturk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭orm0nd

don't know if they're still doing it but at 1 time arrabawn were collecting milk 187 kms from base & drawing it to nenagh

Advertisement