Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭alps

kowtow wrote: »
    Are those figures available monthly or quarterly for the last couple of years?

Look for an inverse correlation between our volume relative to the rest of Europe and our price relative to the rest of Europe. If we are slipping more as relative volume increases it suggests that our product mix is not up to the job.

Bit tied up at grass this week but if the figures are around I'll try and have a look.

I fear the irish figures have only been submitted to this survey in the last year or so....ill track it down

Kerry and glanbia have been included for years actually...gonna try and put the link on here

http://www.milkprices.nl/

Go to previous previous reviews

Interesting to click on the December report of each year and run down through the 12 month rolling average prices. Also note the frieslandcampina bonus that needs to be added to the rolling average. I'm amazed at how strong the nz price has been, considering the amount of powder they produce. Is it their processing efficiency, or is this gdt run as a price reducing exercise for us competitors...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I haven't got to go to any meetings about it and my knowledge on the vote is very poor. I think it will go through because lads will just be thinking about the money aspect.
    I had a GIIL man at the table last week and he was advocating it will return the coop to more like it was 10 years ago, more farmer oriented. Instead of it just being for shareholders.
    I don't know the whole ins and outs of it, others more in the know will tell me im sure if he was puffing smoke
    Very surprised at your opening line there grass to milk that u havnt gone to meetings nor that your knowledge on it is poor .very important meetings and stuff a good up and coming young farmer like yourself should be well up to speed on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Very surprised at your opening line there grass to milk that u havnt gone to meetings nor that your knowledge on it is poor .very important meetings and stuff a good up and coming young farmer like yourself should be well up to speed on

No he isn't a good farmer until he cuts half his mp for silage at 3 bales /ac and then buffers with the same stuff 2 weeks later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,740 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

mahoney_j wrote: »

In fairness the timing of the meetings wont suit everyone and there is life beyond the farm yard. I couldn't go. But I also wont be able to go to the vote. Glanbia man was asking would I cancel my holiday to vote !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

whelan2 wrote: »
    In fairness the timing of the meetings wont suit everyone and there is life beyond the farm yard. I couldn't go. But I also wont be able to go to the vote. Glanbia man was asking would I cancel my holiday to vote !

Fully agree there's more to life than the farm and that meeting times wontvsuit everyone but every supplier should be well up to speed on what's happening at it and the proposal been discussed ,your milk cheque is your main income stream .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

Just wondering if co op votes were subject to the same level of scrutiny as referendums would they stand up in law? How can people make a rational judgment on anything if only presented with one side of the story? Would make a very interesting test case if it were possible to get it in to a court. http://constitutionproject.ie/?p=121

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

i went, turn out was poor, dont know if it was lads with their minds made up already or just set at a busy time of year, think they should facilitate these online in the modern age.

no financial reason behind not buying the 100/75% of company according to speakers. This is next phase in plan so they're will be another couple of spin outs and then we will be asked to buy shares to correlate to our supply be it grain or milk.

To have farmer control back we need these magic figures (100/75%,), and we would both benifit if we create a strategic alliance between the plc and coop, as plc does want our whey

coop members made a good financial decision not buying Nigerian assets back on original spin out, currency has plummet in value in past two years we would have lost our shirt and be unable to bring our sales income back to euros. wonder do they pay our Nigerian sales rep in euro or nira??

linking milk with meal purchase was also touted as a possibility if passes but the sweeter in deal is the split of profits being paid out to coop which is a big improvement in dividends from plc but by doing this we will have to pay for capital works in future as money is not being retained

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the_blue_oval

As a potential new entrant in a few years time, will this glanbia vote have any effect on the cost/process of becoming a new supplier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭visatorro

Lakeland holding price, no chance of glanbia increase so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,672 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Blue, look around for other processor/purchasers before settling on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

Water John wrote: »

extactly plenty of milk companies looking for more suppliers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

If the price holds for the summer months at around €0.31 it wont be too bad.b etter to hold than spike up to a bull**** price thats good for no one.

boggerman1 wrote: »
    If the price holds for the summer months at around €0.31 it wont be too bad.b etter to hold than spike up to a bull**** price thats good for no one.

Just wondering if you had a look at the link above on current milk prices around the world....ours is sad.

Either our product mix is uncompetitive, or processors are using our seemingly content attitude to build reserves.

alps wrote: »
    Just wondering if you had a look at the link above on current milk prices around the world....ours is sad.

Either our product mix is uncompetitive, or processors are using our seemingly content attitude to build reserves.
    Still comes back to "Dont worry about the markets, you produce the milk, there are endless markets....." looking at those figures it speaks volumes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

whelan2 wrote: »
    Still comes back to "Dont worry about the markets, you produce the milk, there are endless markets....." looking at those figures it speaks volumes

There's a lot more coming on stream this year and the coming years.

There's a big 700 cow dairy planned for the south of the county possibly going to 1000 cows.

I wouldn't fancy putting them out in a paddock in February.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

pedigree 6 wrote: »

There's a big 700 cow dairy planned for the south of the county possibly going to 1000 cows.

Big tillage farmer here reported to be converting his second block to dairying, first block has 350 cows, second block could have 500 acres in it......didn't have a cow in 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

pedigree 6 wrote: »

where in wexford is this going lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

where in wexford is this going lad

Pm sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the_blue_oval

Water John wrote: »

Will definitely be looking into other options but we're fairly off the beaten track where we're located and no one other than glanbia collecting locally so options may be limited..

While on the subject, does anyone have a rough guideline on what it costs to become a new supplier?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

Will definitely be looking into other options but we're fairly off the beaten track where we're located and no one other than glanbia collecting locally so options may be limited..

While on the subject, does anyone have a rough guideline on what it costs to become a new supplier?

Don't rule it out I've seen people change co ops who thought it would never be possible. I think the way the new purchaser might look at it is that if you go more may follow.

cost me 10k last year to buy 2000 coop shares to become supplier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

cost me 10k last year to buy 2000 coop shares to become supplier

If it isn't too direct a question, is there a relationship between shares & litres to be supplied in that scenario?

I have yet to establish how many shares I need to buy to get rid of my small excess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

qP6vFst.jpg
    I wonder why they weren't as vocal about Kerry's milk price when Stan was boss rather than giving him a cut now when he has left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭jaymla627

kowtow wrote: »
    If it isn't too direct a question, is there a relationship between shares & litres to be supplied in that scenario?

I have yet to establish how many shares I need to buy to get rid of my small excess!

2000 shares is the minimum shareholding required to become a co-op member and avail of co-op bonouses/supports etc, I think once your under 300 ,000litres a year supplied on the reference year they pick 2000 shares is all you need, once you go over 300,000 litres on the reference year used you need more shares to account for extra litres.....
    Was blessed here my reference year I only sent in 250,000 litres so just had to purchase 2000 shares heading for a million plus litres delivered next year but don't have to buy anymore shares at the minute to account for extra production and fully avail of all co-op supports on this milk, it's a very poor system to be fair that does favour rapidly expanding suppliers and short-changes other suppliers who aren't expanding our only upping production 20-30%

Varies, I think some coops/processors are around 1.5 cent/litre in shares.

dont no anything bout reference year first i have heard of it, they wanted as much milk as possible when i started

no correlation between shares and supply at present but this will change in the future, they are trying to cash in value in coop not build it up, when all cash has been depleted or they make a few management errors well be back to sharing up to cover investment cost, sooner the spin out finishes the better

makes start up easier for new entrants with less barriers to entry, once your in then your in, they can pay you a lower price than even fonterra just to even it up in the long run

http://www.ornua.com/media/news-articles/ornua-delivers-strong-performance-2016-performance#

Stunning performance by Ornua in 2016.....at least someone was able to turn a profit out of milk in the bad year��

Are Ornua's profits generated from non milk sales, or have they been holding back a little too much?

I'm still flabbergasted at how far ahead other countries are on milk price...

• Advertisement

The difference with the processors down the road in West Cork, shows how poor others have been in this country. And the WC boys won't go broke.

Advertisement