Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

alps wrote: »
    Enjoy your break Whelan...if you have a strong view either way, all you can do is try to influence some of your colleagues and neighbours to vote the way you would like...other than that, in your situation, you are quiet entitled to your break and enjoy..well earned..

+1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

kowtow wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more, if you have any chance at all of going - no matter how busy you are - go, and vote, ask questions, heckle, listen.. but go.

In the end, like governments, we get the co-ops we deserve.

Whichever way you are voting.

*if they haven't managed to secure a yes with that big sweetener & all their PR then they really oughtn't to run a bath let alone a processor.

Ah no this Ireland to ask questions of the creamery manager is right up there with not tipping your hat to the priest or the guard. Worse still he might reject your churn of milk the next time you go to the creamery. Best go along with them, they have dairy science degrees and are all qualified in the art of butter making and the like. All very advanced technical stuff way past the limited understanding of us farmers. Best shut up and do as your told. Besides what would the neighbour's be saying if you questioned them? Perish the thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    Ah no this Ireland to ask questions of the creamery manager is right up there with not tipping your hat to the priest or the guard. Worse still he might reject your churn of milk the next time you go to the creamery. Best go along with them, they have dairy science degrees and are all qualified in the art of butter making and the like. All very advanced technical stuff way past the limited understanding of us farmers. Best shut up and do as your told. Besides what would the neighbour's be saying if you questioned them? Perish the thought!

Yea, you're right......much better to snipe at them anonymously. :rolleyes:

rangler1 wrote: »
    Yea, you're right......much better to snipe at them anonymously. :rolleyes:

Our you could join a worship group and pay homage to them. I can think of an certain organization that would tick all those boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Whole milk powder prices have dropped 2% this week so there could be a drop in GDT today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

Panch18 wrote: »
    I really don't understand why a 1 cent increase in May milk would have any influence on the vote

This is a long term decision we are taking and to even think about changing your vote based on a 1 cent rise in milk, or lack thereof, is completely insane

The vote should be on the merits of the deal

Thing is if they had raised milk price by 1 cent people would be writing about buying the vote bla bla bla

While I take your points I don't think it's fair to say it's insane to think about how u will vote due to the current milk price.

Maybe they can already be said to be buying the vote with the spin out we will be getting if it passes so I don't think anyone could say 1c increase would be buying the vote.

I felt a 1c increase was justified due to market conditions and already paying amongst the lowest prices in Europe.

With previous talk of paying a leading milk price this month shows that they aren't serious about it so why should I trust them to do it with a new entity and the cost it entails to set up?

Do other posters feel we were expecting too much with a 1c increace? I'm open to persuasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,740 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

While I take your points I don't think it's fair to say it's insane to think about how u will vote due to the current milk price.

Maybe they can already be said to be buying the vote with the spin out we will be getting if it passes so I don't think anyone could say 1c increase would be buying the vote.

I felt a 1c increase was justified due to market conditions and already paying amongst the lowest prices in Europe.

With previous talk of paying a leading milk price this month shows that they aren't serious about it so why should I trust them to do it with a new entity and the cost it entails to set up?

Do other posters feel we were expecting too much with a 1c increace? I'm open to persuasion.
    I thought after last month ,when they came out extra early with a stay the same price ,that an increase had been warranted then and after the markets over the last month I was really expecting at least a half a cent increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Buckmickley

Mammy plc will still control and permeate every decision made at CoOp level until We own the entire dairy business
    I can't understand why the transfer wasn't done in full this time but am happy to go along with it because it's a step closer to full ownership and crucially a step closer to a non farmer chairperson of the plc
    The latter will hasten the full transfer
    There will be more spin outs on the way to that full transfer

So me getting more of my shares and knowing that while Siobhán sits at the dairy company boardroom (regardless of what way this vote goes she will sit on it) that the Plc will still be the Mammy and make decisions to maximise profit at the expense of farmers is the reason I'm voting yes
    I know the road to full ownership will mean more share unlocking so not unhappy there
    I know the plc will bugger us until we own the milk and agri fully
    I know that's where we're going but the farmer board are the ones delaying untying the apron strings,hence it's happening in stages
    Ironically there'll probably be no more spin outs after full ownership is achieved because at that stage farmers will be allocating so much of the potential dairy and agri profits to milk prices that the board will need the return from the plc shares

I'm sorry if this offends anyone but taking a decision on current or past milk price alone is silly
    You need to examine the reasons and those reasons scream vote yes to me which is why I'm voting that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    Our you could join a worship group and pay homage to them. I can think of an certain organization that would tick all those boxes.

Yea, democratically elected guys like your creamery boards.

See Alan matthews being optimistic on milk price in the farm indo and he's no friend of farmers.
    I helped him with his election campaign for president of the students union 50 years ago, generous guy and good crack, he was a minder at a boarding school that i was in and promised FOOOOD for a weekends work making posters and badges......,pushing an open door really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Decisions are made by the people who turn up as always. No dig meant for you Whelan. The turnout would want to be very low for there to be any question.

75% turnout needed

• Advertisement

rangler1 wrote: »
    Yea, democratically elected guys like your creamery boards.

See Alan matthews being optimistic on milk price in the farm indo and he's no friend of farmers.
    I helped him with his election campaign for president of the students union 50 years ago, generous guy and good crack, he was a minder at a boarding school that i was in and promised FOOOOD for a weekends work making posters and badges......,pushing an open door really

Ah yes democracy! Did you ever read the McKenna judgment? You may find that to be a bit of a revelation when it comes to our definition of democracy. Apparently in this situation we have some of the best "democracy" money can buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

75% turnout needed

heard that before our vote in 2013 , den they got the feeling they would lose so changed it to 50plus 1 . on this current deal i would vote no as there is a lack of trust towards the plc board and their motives behind this move . glanbia are the worst milk payers in the country and have been for quiet awhile and this deal does nothing to solve this issue . even doe i am a strathroy supplier my parnets are glanbia share holders . thats my two cents on the issue . for the farmers sake i hope this vote will be defeated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Mammy plc will still control and permeate every decision made at CoOp level until We own the entire dairy business
    I can't understand why the transfer wasn't done in full this time but am happy to go along with it because it's a step closer to full ownership and crucially a step closer to a non farmer chairperson of the plc
    The latter will hasten the full transfer
    There will be more spin outs on the way to that full transfer

So me getting more of my shares and knowing that while Siobhán sits at the dairy company boardroom (regardless of what way this vote goes she will sit on it) that the Plc will still be the Mammy and make decisions to maximise profit at the expense of farmers is the reason I'm voting yes
    I know the road to full ownership will mean more share unlocking so not unhappy there
    I know the plc will bugger us until we own the milk and agri fully
    I know that's where we're going but the farmer board are the ones delaying untying the apron strings,hence it's happening in stages
    Ironically there'll probably be no more spin outs after full ownership is achieved because at that stage farmers will be allocating so much of the potential dairy and agri profits to milk prices that the board will need the return from the plc shares

I'm sorry if this offends anyone but taking a decision on current or past milk price alone is silly
    You need to examine the reasons and those reasons scream vote yes to me which is why I'm voting that way

I think that is an interesting assessment of the position, and - on the basis that you agree with the assessment - a logical enough way to vote.

What nobody has ever been able to get at (to my knowledge) is the inter-company arrangement for determining milk price on a monthly basis, and/or the level of supply exclusivity. That is the key to all this and should really have been transparent at the time of the original spin-ups into the plc.

There should be no advantage (from the plc point of view) in retaining an interest in the hope of influencing milk price in their favour at the expense of suppliers. If that is/was happening and was discussed within the plc as a rationale for the deal then there would have been some severely conflicted board members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Buckmickley

kowtow wrote: »
    I think that is an interesting assessment of the position, and - on the basis that you agree with the assessment - a logical enough way to vote.

What nobody has ever been able to get at (to my knowledge) is the inter-company arrangement for determining milk price on a monthly basis, and/or the level of supply exclusivity. That is the key to all this and should really have been transparent at the time of the original spin-ups into the plc.

There should be no advantage (from the plc point of view) in retaining an interest in the hope of influencing milk price in their favour at the expense of suppliers. If that is/was happening and was discussed within the plc as a rationale for the deal then there would have been some severely conflicted board members.

The board are not using rocket science to calculate milk price
    They're just presented with a target profit and discussion ensues on what price they can pay this month to maintain that target
    No account at all in my opinion is taken as to the impact at farm gate level other than to decide how much can be screwed out of the CoOp to "support " price

The only way to end that carry on is to sever the umbilical plc dual board membership and of course put the milk grain and agri business fully into farming control
    That won't happen with a no vote

You are right ,those driving the plc probably have little interest in milk prices
    The only way in my opinion to end their abrasive influence on it is to continue down the road of full farming ownership
    I don't like some aspects of the deal or the route but don't see any other way to get to where we need to be

The only other route is the high court probably if some group of shareholders has the courage to challenge how fiduciary duty to the GIIL CoOp and Fiduciary duty to the plc is not a conflict
    The first way is still the best way though and a lot less messy
    Given that most farmers still own their plc shares,it's also good in that mostly they win from both sides

Decisions need to be thought about,not blustered about and that's how I've thought about mine
    Incidentally I was at the information meeting in Gorey,over a hundred at it despite it being at 11am and there was very little opposition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Gdt up 3.2%.butter,wmp and skim mp all up.

Looks like we're padding profits for another month again.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Gdt up 3.2%.butter,wmp and skim mp all up.

It's the fifth consecutive increase and yet Irish processers are holding the price. What is the reason for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

It's the fifth consecutive increase and yet Irish processers are holding the price. What is the reason for it?

Are they using the excuse of smp going into intervention or that they "supported"milk price last yr to build up reserves.they should be able to give at least another cent for may milk next month but i can see them hanging tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭alps

Not enough noise from the farmers side....

Too many people happy with the thought that it is staying above 30c...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭alps

Fonterra predicting 3 years of strong prices..

• Advertisement

alps wrote: »
    Fonterra predicting 3 years of strong prices..
    ea96743548b35765ff95c3319a1894b5_andy-peachers-wife-convicted-of-nuisance-calls-hoaxtead-research-were-all-doomed-meme_261-232.jpeg

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Are they using the excuse of smp going into intervention or that they "supported"milk price last yr to build up reserves.they should be able to give at least another cent for may milk next month but i can see them hanging tough.

If they supported the price so much last year how come the dairy board recorded an increase in profit? Really annoying when they trot out that old line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭visatorro

Any reason milk cheque isn't paid yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

visatorro wrote: »

They're waiting to see what way you vote on Fri.

visatorro wrote: »

Normally paid on 18th. Last month was a one off as Easter bank holidays skewed the payment date. No sign of milk statements on line either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭blackdog1

whelan2 wrote:
    Normally paid on 18th. Last month was a one off as Easter bank holidays skewed the payment date. No sign of milk statements on line either

Say a little prayer for us Dairygold people we get paid on the 22nd

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Say a little prayer for us Dairygold people we get paid on the 22nd

It was paid on the 19th in the past and over time has slipped as every 3 days extra credit is availed of. Makes you wonder?

Milk statements are up now. All ten pages of it. Got almost double what I got for April 2016

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭stanflt

whelan2 wrote: »
    Milk statements are up now. All ten pages of it. Got almost double what I got for April 2016

I got charged 980 euro for bulk tank service contract

This couldn't be right

• Advertisement

stanflt wrote: »
    I got charged 980 euro for bulk tank service contract

This couldn't be right

How many tanks have you? I will check what I paid. But it was less than that and is split over 2months normally. Paid €280 for one tank

Advertisement