Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Kind of a follow on from Kowtow's post above.

But when I was at the Glanbia vote yesterday my father was getting a check up at the doctors.

He was with the nurse and she was going through his diet.
    Then she comes to "Do you drink milk?"
    My father says "I drink a mug of milk every morning with a boiled egg and then another mug at dinnertime and then some more with cups of tea during the day."
    Nurse: "Oh that's very good. Do you drink whole milk, low fat milk or skimmed milk?"
    Father: "Eh. Hang on till I check?"
    My father then pulls out his phone and says" 3.64% fat."
    Nurse: "What are you on about?"
    Father: "That's the latest fat result on the milk we've produced. I drink the milk from our cows."

Well he said the look on her face was priceless. She didn't know where to look.:D

He then said: "I also help with every milking morning and evening."
    Nurse: "Oh you're a dairy farmer. You should get one of those robots to milk the cows. You're 80 you know!"
    Father: "If I had a robot I'd be dead long ago.":)

Gas fella.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Sillycave

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Kind of a follow on from Kowtow's post above.

But when I was at the Glanbia vote yesterday my father was getting a check up at the doctors.

He was with the nurse and she was going through his diet.
    Then she comes to "Do you drink milk?"
    My father says "I drink a mug of milk every morning with a boiled egg and then another mug at dinnertime and then some more with cups of tea during the day."
    Nurse: "Oh that's very good. Do you drink whole milk, low fat milk or skimmed milk?"
    Father: "Eh. Hang on till I check?"
    My father then pulls out his phone and says" 3.64% fat."
    Nurse: "What are you on about?"
    Father: "That's the latest fat result on the milk we've produced. I drink the milk from our cows."

Well he said the look on her face was priceless. She didn't know where to look.:D

He then said: "I also help with every milking morning and evening."
    Nurse: "Oh you're a dairy farmer. You should get one of those robots to milk the cows. You're 80 you know!"
    Father: "If I had a robot I'd be dead long ago.":)

Gas fella.:p

One of the funniest post i have read in a long time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,670 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Do Glanbia still have plant down? Milk was going all over the place, incl Carbery.

Good post Ped.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Fixture

kowtow wrote: »
    Perhaps it is just me, but doesn't the statement from Corbally yesterday incorporate everything which is wrong with the agribusiness industry, taken to almost laughable extremes:

The italics are mine.

There is an underlying assumption here that what the farmer produces is not food (not even "viable") until the genius of agribusiness gets its hands on it. There is a further assumption that - for our own good - the profitability, and of course the salary bill and investment plans, of the processor must be protected first, before the farmer is paid - presumably because without it the farmer would be finished.

Apart from the extraordinary hubris of the statement, it is an almost perfect inversion of the original co-op model, which is to carry produce to the nearest and best market to the shared benefit, and at the shared expense of the farmer members.

I have nothing against Henry Corbally, indeed in his position I might be saying similar things - but I will make the following observation. If the current deal represents a move away from the plc and back to a farmer driven co-operative, these do not sound to me like the words of a farmer. It's going to take a big cultural shift, I think, as much as a financial and ownership change, to end up with a co-operative which really recognises the value of the food it's farmer members are producing and is able to demonstrate that is has repaid the trust of its members and done justice to that produce in the marketplace.

Was that in his speech or where did he say it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Fixture wrote: »
    Was that in his speech or where did he say it?

It's reported as his statement after the meeting on Agriland:

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/farmers-like-to-be-in-control-of-their-own-businesses/

• Advertisement

TBH we should be annoyed and it should be unacceptable, but this language would not be out of place in the culture of any of our processors, with a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

dident the Shareholders who stoped this at last vote make us a lot of money

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭MF290

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Were you near the front or back?

I was in the middle and the spotters came as far as me anyway.

All the guys asking questions were all mostly at the front and Henry I know could see them and he was calling out which paddle number was next for a question.
    But there was a tillage guy in front of me (middle ways) and I know Henry couldn't have seen who that was unless the spotter was making some gesture to him and he got a question in.

Hardly was a question on sustainability of tillage? Only way that seems to be possible would be to avoid selling to the likes of glanbia...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Base 31 received 34.09 @ 3,93bf and 3.53p. In the first fixed price scheme which dropped overall price a bit. Didn't bother with second scheme as felt the price won't be much either side of it for duration so winning at the moment by a small bit so to speak.
    Top 10% were at 3.54p and 4.23 bf average were at 3.39p and 3.92bf bottom 10% were at 3.21p and 3.62bf. Difference in price between top and bottom was 4.4c/l

Edit dairygold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Fonterra announce milk price of $6.50 for the 17/18 season after $6.15 for the current year.

https://www.dairynz.co.nz/news/latest-news/milk-price-great-news/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Fonterra announce milk price of $6.50 for the 17/18 season after $6.15 for the current year.

https://www.dairynz.co.nz/news/latest-news/milk-price-great-news/

How does that compare to the kerry price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭alps

cute geoge wrote: »

You can only contrast with the Kerry orice🤣

cute geoge wrote: »
    No idea George. They pay in Kgs and we pay in liters but if anyone can work it out, the exchange rate is 1 Euro=NZ$1.59

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭alps

No idea George. They pay in Kgs and we pay in liters but if anyone can work it out, the exchange rate is 1 Euro=NZ$1.59

Kerry ranked at €4.100 per kg m&s, which equates to NZ$6.42 which compares favourably.

The seems to be some inconsistencies in the reporting of milk prices when the nz solids payment is converted to the European €/100kg. On a per litre basis we seem to be behind NZ but on a per kg basis we seem to be ahead.

Deserves a better look, as even the per kg ms figures I believe are incorrectly quoted in the irish coop comparison figures.

Because or the A+B+C system, farmers even in the same coop are paid a different amount for the kg of ms, but the same per litre from a specific base..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Water John wrote: »
    Do Glanbia still have plant down? Milk was going all over the place, incl Carbery.

Good post Ped.

Carbery still taking Glanbia milk. Was talking to a fitter working there and it's still being delivered as of yesterday.

And Dairygold milk from around the Carbery plant goes to Mitchelstown.
    Keep on truckin.

The Wall Street Journal has a piece on US milk prices and supply.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/got-milk-too-much-of-it-say-u-s-dairy-farmers-1495278002

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,739 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Glanbia announces a new 1 year fixed price scheme @31cpl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

whelan2 wrote: »

Dairygold one was offered at that for 18 months at start of year, I didn't bother with it. Dunno was I right or wrong time will tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Buckmickley

whelan2 wrote: »

Apparently according to the blurb ,it's great that 2000 Glanbia farmers are taking advantage of this milk volatility tool
    Funny this year I'd have put it the opposite way round
    Fixing base price at 31 for 12 months at a time when all indicators point to market prices in excess of that seems madness
    However those on the hook in the older schemes will take the bait just to maintain their preference in future schemes hell or high water

It's a bit like that child catcher scene in the Xmas film chitty Chitty bang bang :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ICMSA expect a 33c/l base price for May milk.

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/farm-organisations-expect-processors-to-increase-may-milk-price-to-33c-l-281225

It would be nice alright and probably justified as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Apparently according to the blurb ,it's great that 2000 Glanbia farmers are taking advantage of this milk volatility tool
    Fixing base price at 31 for 12 months at a time when all indicators point to market prices in excess of that seems madness
    However those on the hook in the older schemes will take the bait just to maintain their preference in future schemes hell or high water

It's a bit like that child catcher scene in the Xmas film chitty Chitty bang bang :rolleyes:

What indicators are pointing to a higher price? I see maintained position for Irish price at best, unless there's something I'm missing

ICMSA expect a 33c/l base price for May milk.

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/farm-organisations-expect-processors-to-increase-may-milk-price-to-33c-l-281225

It would be nice alright and probably justified as well.

Have the icmsa ever bought a litre of milk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

What indicators are pointing to a higher price? I see maintained position for Irish price at best, unless there's something I'm missing

My take also

"On the hook" "take the bait", emotive stuff.

I'm delighted to have milk fixed, not it all by any means but when things were shyte I loved it. Then again I'm an easily led idiot ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

We often give out about the farm organizations myself more guilty than anyone. But I don't understand the hostility towards icmsa here from farmers just because on this occasion they are doing what they are paid to do and are looking for an increase in milk price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,739 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    We often give out about the farm organizations myself more guilty than anyone. But I don't understand the hostility towards icmsa here from farmers just because on this occasion they are doing what they are paid to do and are looking for an increase in milk price.

Did they not say the same last month?

Never said they did, Kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Do they drink unpasteurised milk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭mf240

If they were buying it , they would be talking it down. Try to keep up .

Advertisement