Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    There used to be a time when farmers were paid a lot more for their milk relatively speaking that skim was given back to the farmer for animal feed.

Exactly.. hence Creamery!

We're a butter nation.

I've never been able to fathom the exact yield of cream & butter for a litre of milk at x fat - or at least I've never been able to fathom it reliably.

Half thinking of the agriland article the other day I wonder what the overall returns would be like if we went back to the old way and fed skim to calves & pigs and only let the Creamery take the cream....

Does anybody remember / have a record of how much skim came back when you sent a gallon of milk in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,668 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Can't remember, but it used to be a good lot.

BTW, interesting diss here on the butter fat. Just getting round to looking at IFJ. It seems Kerrygold may be coming up against an issue flagged by a few posters here before. Most butter in Germany, including own brand is now GM free.
    All Ireland's milk output should go GM free. For a premium, of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

kowtow wrote: »
    Exactly.. hence Creamery!

We're a butter nation.

I've never been able to fathom the exact yield of cream & butter for a litre of milk at x fat - or at least I've never been able to fathom it reliably.

Half thinking of the agriland article the other day I wonder what the overall returns would be like if we went back to the old way and fed skim to calves & pigs and only let the Creamery take the cream....

Does anybody remember / have a record of how much skim came back when you sent a gallon of milk in?

What is alarming is that in spite of this plan that was supposed to make us all rich producing complex protein products to feed the one Chinese baby, the thing that seams to be saving the day in terms of milk price, is good old fashioned bog standard low tech butter.

I'd need to check this out again but from memory I think butter has to be something like 80% fat. So based on the fat content of milk you could make a stab at how much of a particular quality milk would be needed to make a ton of butter. Another thing we forget is that in spite of all our progress breeding for protein. Milk still has a higher fat to protein ratio. So a high value on milk fat is potentially more of a benefit to us that a high value on protein. Obviously it would be great to get a high return from both.

Water John wrote: »
    Can't remember, but it used to be a good lot.

BTW, interesting diss here on the butter fat. Just getting round to looking at IFJ. It seems Kerrygold may be coming up against an issue flagged by a few posters here before. Most butter in Germany, including own brand is now GM free.
    All Ireland's milk output should go GM free. For a premium, of course.

Form the bit of separating I have done I would say your looking somewhere like 90% raw skim . But to be fair my separator would not be state of the art.

Yes that GM thing could well bite us in the ass if we are not careful. It has been the elephant in the room with some time now. Very hard to explain to a costumer why supposedly grass fed butter is not GM free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Form the bit of separating I have done I would say your looking somewhere like 90% raw skim . But to be fair my separator would not be state of the art.

Yes that GM thing could well bite us in the ass if we are not careful. It has been the elephant in the room with some time now. Very hard to explain to a costumer why supposedly grass fed butter is not GM free.

90% makes sense. Heavy cream will be 30-40% fat so in rough numbers at 90% you are concentrating x 10, and assume bf was 3-4%.

agree on the gm thing.

Fat is good again, and will continue to be especially when they start figuring out that it was Terry Wogan and his f***king polyunsaturated floral flora dance which killed off my parent's generation as surely as a dose of roundup.

There was a scientist on the radio the other day announcing with glee and great fanfare his recent discovery that foods can have different nutrition and health effects if "taken" together with other foods and sometimes if processed or combined or - for example - heated.

He's hoping to make a laboratory process of it I suppose, no doubt with a patent.

He could call it cooking.

• Advertisement

kowtow wrote: »
    90% makes sense. Heavy cream will be 30-40% fat so in rough numbers at 90% you are concentrating x 10, and assume bf was 3-4%.

agree on the gm thing.

Fat is good again, and will continue to be especially when they start figuring out that it was Terry Wogan and his f***king polyunsaturated floral flora dance which killed off my parent's generation as surely as a dose of roundup.

There was a scientist on the radio the other day announcing with glee and great fanfare his recent discovery that foods can have different nutrition and health effects if "taken" together with other foods and sometimes if processed or combined or - for example - heated.

He's hoping to make a laboratory process of it I suppose, no doubt with a patent.

He could call it cooking.

Could not agree more. Unfortunately most research in all areas of science has and still is motivated and paid for by someone who wants to make money out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Gdt up 0.6%.chedder up 14.5%,butter and smp up slightly from a quick glance

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Butter is keeping the show on the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,668 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes, but it's premium status is at risk because it is not GM free. It isn't about whether one agrees or disagrees, it's the reality of the marketplace.
    It needs to be addressed and soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭alps

Post arrived this morning from a German publication...
    By the end of 2017, 30% of the total dairy production in Germany will be GMO free..But GMO free milk is in the portfolio of ALL the processors. Currently the farmers receive a milk price bonus of about 1Ct per kg, but these bonus payments are likely to be phased out, as GMO free is now the the new quality standard for milk.
    Ornua will have no choice but to move very swiftly on this...
    German regulation demands a 3 month transition period.
    Ornua should not miss out our next dry period to move product to such a standard. It may offer a smaller processor like Arrabawn, Aurivo or North Cork possibilities.
    It needs urgent attention, which of course it may be getting.

• Advertisement

alps wrote: »
    Post arrived this morning from a Germany publication...
    By the end of 2017, 30% of the total dairy production in Germany will be GMO free..But GMO free milk is in the portfolio of ALL the processors. Currently the farmers receive a milk price bonus of about 1Ct per kg, but these bonus payments are likely to be phased out, as GMO free is now the the new quality standard for milk.
    Ornua will have no choice but to move very swiftly on this...
    Germany regulation demands a 3 month transition period.
    Ornua should not miss out our next dry period to move product to such a standard. It may offer a smaller processor like Arrabawn, Aurivo or North Cork possibilities.
    It needs urgent attention, which of course it may be getting.

Unfortunately I don't think it is, if some of the comments on here over the past while are anything to go by. This is potentially a marketing disaster waiting to happen. But when it was raised here in the past the general mood from some was that GM free would not be possible. The question is? If it's possible in Germany? Why is it not possible here? We are always being told about our grass fed advantage. So surely having to pay a bit more for grain would be less painful for us than the Germans? Especially if it means us getting a premium for our grass fed milk. The reality seems to be that we are not chasing premium markets in the way we should. If we were we wouldn't be having this discussion.

OK I know a lot of people will say they don't have a problem with GM and that's fair enough. But if the premium customer wants GM free and we can't supply it, it really doesn't make us look good surely?

Actually it was brought up in a public discussion I was at just last september. The Minister no less was in the audience and left before the discussion was over without contributing. Maybe he did take it onboard? But I wasn't holding my breath based on what I personally viewed as a total lack of interest on his part.Hope Im wrong!

If an individual Coop were to make a decision to follow the GMO free market, would the fixed milk price contracts pose a difficulty? Could they be unwound in the event that Ornua wanted portion of their butter produced GMO free?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Dwag

If an individual Coop were to make a decision to follow the GMO free market, would the fixed milk price contracts pose a difficulty? Could they be unwound in the event that Ornua wanted portion of their butter produced GMO free?

I think it is pretty clear if you read the German competition authority's recent interpretation of those contracts that on the basis that they would not allow a milk purchaser the right to compete for new suppliers, that yes my money would absolutely yes they could be unwound! However what is the likelihood any milk purchaser would rock the boat and upset the current status quo?

I think it is pretty clear if you read the German competition authority's recent interpretation of those contracts that on the basis that they would not allow a milk purchaser the right to compete for new suppliers, that yes my money would absolutely yes they could be unwound! However what is the likelihood any milk purchaser would rock the boat and upset the current status quo?

Honestly, Ed.

Querying flexibility of fixed milk price schemes...not MSAs. ....different animal..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Dwag wrote: »
    Honestly, Ed
    Easy dawg,your under pressure.remember dont engage

Querying flexibility of fixed milk price schemes...not MSAs. ....different animal..

Sorry my mistake but as for the MSAs here is a link to the German story
    http://www.bundeskartellamt.de/SharedDocs/Meldung/EN/Pressemitteilungen/2017/13_03_2017_Milch.html?nn=3599398

K.G. wrote: »

What in earth are you talking about? I'm getting a bit confused here?

K.G. wrote: »

• Advertisement

Fcuk no Kg. I know his dna. Got him.

He's found out. Finally.

What on earth have you been drinking or something? With all due respects here and I don't mean to be doing the moderators job and no offence meant. But in all fairness you might be well advised to take a step back and when you have time to reflect possibly read the rules? No idea what on earth you are on about?

What in earth are you talking about? I'm getting a bit confused here?

Right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭mf240

ee38c91b307b3a91b1cfd8c3d3fe07a5.png

What on earth have you been drinking or something? With all due respects here and I don't mean to be doing the moderators job and no offence meant. But in all fairness you might be well advised to take a step back and when you have time to reflect possibly read the rules? No idea what on earth you are on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭The part time boy

I wish I knew what was going on as this seems fun

Dwag honestly you are way off the ball here. I am not going to engage with you so for your own sake if you are in France. It is way past time for bed.

mf240 wrote: »
    ee38c91b307b3a91b1cfd8c3d3fe07a5.png

Tune in for the next episode. I'm going to bed.

Dwag honestly you are way off the ball here. I am not going to engage with you so for your own sake if you are in France. It is way past time for bed.

:)
    You and me...Lol.
    Jaysus....

:)
    You and me...Lol.
    Jaysus....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭The part time boy