Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,739 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Glanbia milk cheques are in accounts early

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Mod note:

Lads and lassies, please refrain from the personal abuse. We have had similar on the milk price threads before and they were shut down.

If you want to keep these threads open, please reread the charter because, after this warning, personal abuse will result in bans being handed out.

Buford T. Justice.
    Could I ask for a reference for when Fred fires off a similar pm next time please? I didn't think he is a mod now as you know he has form here...

"I regret we seam to have got off on the wrong note. But your obvious dislike of me is reaching an unhealthy state. Why are you even on a milk price tread or how could you care less? Your in the UK. Why can't you just get on with your life? I know if I ever pack in the cows before I die, you won't find me checking milk price thread again. Can't see why I'd be bothered? Life's too short. Don't know why you feel the need to fight someone else's battles?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

whelan2 wrote: »
    Also not all people can get to meetings to air their views.

You'd be very foolish to depend on anonymous posters either, for proper consideration you'd need to know the background of the person airing their views.
    If the issue is important, you should be properly involved, Saying you need to air your view on something and then saying you haven't time to do it properly is to me a contradiction in term.
    It's ironic on here that the person that indulges in the most innuendo and accusations is the most careful not to reveal their identity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

rangler1 wrote: »
    You'd be very foolish to depend on anonymous posters either, for proper consideration you'd need to know the background of the person airing their views.
    If the issue is important, you should be properly involved, Saying you need to air your view on something and then saying you haven't time to do it properly is to me a contradiction in term.
    It's ironic on here that the person that indulges in the most innuendo and accusations is the most careful not to reveal their identity

I'm sure lots know who this poster is and who he supplies etc etc to be quite honest I couldn't care less ,most of us here have our usernames figured out from twitter etc ,mods have tricky job keeping peace on this thread.

Thanks j, and I think we'll leave it there.

Buford.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Could I ask for a reference for when Fred fires off a similar pm next time please? I didn't think he is a mod now as you know he has form here...

"I regret we seam to have got off on the wrong note. But your obvious dislike of me is reaching an unhealthy state. Why are you even on a milk price tread or how could you care less? Your in the UK. Why can't you just get on with your life? I know if I ever pack in the cows before I die, you won't find me checking milk price thread again. Can't see why I'd be bothered? Life's too short. Don't know why you feel the need to fight someone else's battles?"
    I can't see PMs and have no access to them. If you're not happy with a PM, please report it and it will be be dealt with.

There's an ignore function for knobs on this forum. Pity it doesn't work in real life

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭briangriffin

Can't we all just get along...

Obviously not. Kids would behave better

How do you know people haven't aired their views in public? You certainty give the impression you are not afraid to air your views in public and yet you still air your views here as you are quite entitled to.

• Advertisement

Aghhhh sure the mods would have nothing to do then to justify there big salaries !!!!!!

What is the strathroy milk price for may? Apologies for having this thread on topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭orm0nd

What is the strathroy milk price for may? Apologies for having this thread on topic

just to get the thread back on track (if you cant beat them join them)
    Farmer Ed wrote: »
    How do you know people haven't aired their views in public? You certainty give the impression you are not afraid to air your views in public and yet you still air your views here as you are quite entitled to.

He takes no prisoners when he speaks in public either, believe me

Waffle can you not just see that you were being offered an olive branch and be happy that your reply to that PM wasn't posted here?

Please life's too short for this crap.

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    Waffle can you not just see that you were being offered an olive branch and be happy that your reply to that PM wasn't posted here?

Please life's too short for this crap.
    Mod note: Farmer Ed and Waffletraktor, take a break from the thread for 24 hours.

Thanks.

Buford T. Justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

What were the most recent fixed price schemes offered at and duration? Do lads think they are better being entered when price is high,? dairygold current one is 18 months since start of year, didn't go with it as I figured it would be much of a muchness for the period.

Mooooo wrote: »
    What were the most recent fixed price schemes offered at and duration? Do lads think they are better being entered when price is high,? dairygold current one is 18 months since start of year, didn't go with it as I figured it would be much of a muchness for the period.

I entered Arrabawn's first scheme with 20% fixed for 3 years at 30.6 cent plus solids on top .over 3 years I feel well worthwhile .no links to inputs or market fluctuations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭alps

Mooooo wrote: »

They'll keep coming Mooooo, as I'm sure customers will try their best to tie in supply in this rising market.

That's all very fair, as long as the farmer is full and free to make the decision to accept or decline.

Past moves to confine entry to one of the schemes to those who took up a previous one, is an abhorrence that needs to be resisted by farmers and in particular by their boards.

The Ornua based offerings now look as if they will happen on an annual basis. At relatively short run times, they won't see much activity in this rising market, but will be real interesting once we get to the 35c bracket....

No doubt they'll keep coming and as you say prior participation shouldn't be required for entry, I wonder could teagasc get a finance PhD in to do a bit of research on pricing structures that would be transparent for the farmer, or someone similar to kowtow to come up with something to suit our scale and export orientation. Currently the time to enter seems to be near peak prices,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,667 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think Moo, not many outside the farm gate, are interested in transparency.
    Your aspiration is correct though.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »

Would have to disagree....I think many strive to be transparent...sometimes the problem is seeing transparency...

Would have to disagree....I think many strive to be transparent...sometimes the problem is seeing transparency...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,667 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well Alps, when you find out, please let us know, what breakdown of product and profitability is made by the coop with the milk, you supply?
    Since you are a part owner, I'm sure they will give you that info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

From a purely selfish personal point of view you should always try and take a fixed price scheme at a high price. The question of course is not whether the price is high compared to last year, but whether it is high compared to next year - and the answer to that is above everyone's pay grade.

So is the Irish price high at the moment? As an interested observer - without any particular axe to grind - it's notable that price and demand reported elsewhere seems to be more optimistic and bullish than we are seeing here. Are our processors repairing (our) balance sheets quietly for our future benefit, saving for future investment in plant, or is there something else we can't see which is a brake on the Irish price?

I think it's obvious that processors would wish to repair balance sheets at the moment - the Glanbia deal and the accompanying commentary is - to me - a canary in the coal mine that we're going to need more capacity and it's going to be farmers paying for it, and that alone would be a good enough signal for a co-op board to try and repair the roof while the sun is shining, relatively speaking. In itself, that may not be a bad thing although whether investing in more processing capacity is wise is really a question for the membership when the time comes.

And to answer that question the membership ought really to understand the likely future returns from milk, which brings me to my single biggest point of concern - if our much lauded 'premium products' are stable or moderate at best in performance, what returns are being generated - right now - by all this extra milk? The obvious risk is that a great deal of it is going to powder very cheaply, and that the falling returns are being masked to some extent by the exceptionally high price of butterfat which is a well recorded phenomenon - but one which surely won't go up in a straight line forever. What happens if and when butter falls back?

It may be that this is simply not the case, that balance sheets are reflating, innovative premium products are soaring away, and that milk prices will continue to rise moderately and everything will be rosy - but if I was looking for a storm cloud ahead that is where I would be looking.

Bear in mind that I am naturally pessimistic. The advice - often given here by very sensible posters - to concentrate on the individual farm circumstances and proceed cautiously, including by fixing some milk if the financial risks of doing so are not too great, is very good advice indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Agreed.
    To the consumer it doesn't matter what it costs to produce, all they want is a quality product at the cheapest price, It won't concern them it's cheaper than the cost of production and if you add in a 5% labour cost all its going to do is annoy you further.
    It has to better for you to suspect you're being done than know you're being robbed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Glanbia milk cheques are in accounts early

What did I save yer man's number under in contacts?

What did I save yer man's number under in contacts?

Lad who does milking for me is also a fencing contractor. He rang me at 8 this morning to know when would glanbia cheques be in as he has a few post dated cheques to lodge.

Fecks sake. Still nothing in my account from Kerry. No fear of them lads spoiling us by paying on time, not to mind early. :mad:

Fecks sake. Still nothing in my account from Kerry. No fear of them lads spoiling us by paying on time, not to mind early. :mad:

I find them great. Money in the account. Lovely bunch of lads...

• Advertisement

Dairygold up to 32...

Advertisement