Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭jaymla627

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    So I take from the last few productive posts that people are happy that milk price is good atm?

Yes?

If so enjoy it.

There's no point then to the in your face loosers rhetoric.
    What goes around comes around and all that.

Was delighted yesterday to get a letter confirming I have another 200k fixed at 32 cent for 18 will bring us up to 40% of supply fixed at a average of 31 cent for next year, cant beat having a safety net like this, the real icing on the cake is the cookie jar fund being paid on top of the 32 cent when it does kick in again....
    Not feeling to sorry for myself anyway re losing out a few cent this year, if/when price goes back down to low 20's I'll be well covered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Was delighted yesterday to get a letter confirming I have another 200k fixed at 32 cent for 18 will bring us up to 40% of supply fixed at a average of 31 cent for next year, cant beat having a safety net like this, the real icing on the cake is the cookie jar fund being paid on top of the 32 cent when it does kick in again....
    Not feeling to sorry for myself anyway re losing out a few cent this year, if/when price goes back down to low 20's I'll be well covered

Fluck! Just got 40k. Mind you I did apply for 63k.
    Let the jealousy begin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I used to think the same way.

But in the last hour I've changed my mind and completely agree with the system now.

Why so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Some seem to confuse an argument for autonomy in hedging with an argument against hedging

My milk cheque goes into my own account
    I haven't it going into Mammy's only for her to decide how much I spend and how much I save out of it

Glanbia is an awful mammy,she cashes in our sweepstakes ,hands out some of it to us pretending it's a milk payment and pays us as little as she can get away with for our milk

So yes I'm asserting my autonomy like 60% of Glanbia farmers do from her controlling any more of my money than she already does

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

You seem to be confusing an argument for autonomy in hedging with an argument against hedging

My milk cheque goes into my own account
    I haven't it going into Mammy's only for her to decide how much I spend and how much I save out of it

Glanbia is an awful mammy,she cashes in our sweepstakes ,hands out some of it to us pretending it's a milk payment and pays us as little as she can get away with for our milk

So yes I'm asserting my autonomy like 60% of Glanbia farmers do from her controlling any more of my money than she already does

Why are you quoting me in your reply? I've no doubt in your ability to make a decision.

• Advertisement

Why are you quoting me in your reply? I've no doubt in your ability to make a decision.

Because you implied in what was quoted that the opposition to fixed schemes was opposition to hedging
    It's not
    It's a difference of opinion on how one should be prepared

Because you implied in what was quoted that the opposition to fixed schemes was opposition to hedging
    It's not
    It's a difference of opinion on how one should be prepared

The flowing is what I posted "

By God we've some fair experts on here now :):)

Any predictions on next Mays milk price?"

Where did I imply any such thing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

The issue I have always had with fixed scheme's is they confuse the situation more than it already is an if one person wins then the other person loses. At the end of the day in a properly run co op there is only a certain pot of money to be decided between farmers to pay for there milk. I'd much prefer to see that decided based on the return the co op was able to deliver from processing that milk rather than on a bet between farmers.

If these things were designed to confuse then surely tonight's contributions here are evidence that they are successful at least in doing that.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Why so?

Because loyalists should be rewarded.

You can't become a loyalist till you've proved your allegiance and started at the bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

28 cent average nxt year, but I'm a half glass empty man. Completely disagree with robbing Peter to pay Paul. Always said it with fixed schemes and never wanted in my co op, but has been introduced lately so will be interesting

• Advertisement

The flowing is what I posted "

By God we've some fair experts on here now :):)

Any predictions on next Mays milk price?"

Where did I imply any such thing?

So you're not implying anything,that's that clarified then...
    I'll edit my post to reflect that so thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

kevthegaff wrote: »
    28 cent average nxt year, but I'm a half glass empty man. Completely disagree with robbing Peter to pay Paul. Always said it with fixed schemes and never wanted in my co op, but has been introduced lately so will be interesting

Wether u want them or not Kev it's here to stay and another one is on the way for next year .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

fixed milk price schemes,i make a call and go with it and dont think about it anymore.they are never about maximising price,it is more about avoiding crashs

You can't become a loyalist till you've proved your allegiance and started at the bottom.

That then defeats the purpose with which we are told they are for, a tool for us to manage the volatility. If you have to join them to stay in them the choice is then removed to use them as we see fit as a tool and are well on to a road of a + b contracted type milk similar to the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,738 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Are superlevy payments still being deducted from creamery accounts. If so, how long more do they go on for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

whelan2 wrote: »
    Are superlevy payments still being deducted from creamery accounts. If so, how long more do they go on for?

One more godamned month.

Is it just peak months or is it the last payments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

My view on Fixing price is very simple, I don't like being down slightly on price when price is strong but we can't afford to be down when price is low.

I'm not too certain this price rise will be sustained as it's based on Fats and not at products. My concern is when large users start to substitute veg oils in place of fats due to price.

For me I'm prepared to take a hit at a higher price but can't afford it at a low price

I know what my CoP is
    Every penny over that ex tax is into the dipping fund for when price is below CoP

I've never understood the logic of for example buying a big new tractor I don't need to save tax in a good year
    I'd be at the loss of the whole €80k then instead of maybe €20k
    I'd rather have the €60k to buffer low price storms because that's the environment we do business in
    The 60% still trading or a good proportion of them after the last dip must be doing something right..

• Advertisement

My view on Fixing price is very simple, I don't like being down slightly on price when price is strong but we can't afford to be down when price is low.

I'm not too certain this price rise will be sustained as it's based on Fats and not at products. My concern is when large users start to substitute veg oils in place of fats due to price.

For me I'm prepared to take a hit at a higher price but can't afford it at a low price

I agree. Dairygold have not made past participation a requirement yet and would be against it if they did so. That would be the only issue I have with the glanbia scheme

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

I'd be very disappointed if fat hasn't made a permanent comeback. Particularly grass fed fat. It now considered healthy by a growing number. Only slight worry I'd have is that some of the more discerning customers are looking at the GM free market and we could be caught napping there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    I'd be very disappointed if fat hasn't made a permanent comeback. Particularly grass fed fat. It now considered healthy by a growing number. Only slight worry I'd have is that some of the more discerning customers are looking at the GM free market and we could be caught napping there.

Fully agree with frazzled earlier post ,on grass fed fats I don't think it makes one blind bit of difference wether it's grass or tmr fat .butter is in vogue now no matter what .this whole grass fed cows out grazing in fields isn't delievering as much as we would like to think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭visatorro

The fat being healthy now is impossible to predict or understand how long and why it will be in fashion. The atkins diet was huge 15 years ago, anyone remember a spike in beef price's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,738 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Where there any fixed price schemes in 2009? most of us lived to tell the tale without them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭mf240

The butter is more a change from it being bad for you to suddenly people realising that it is good for you and a move away from the plant based alternatives.

As sure as night follows day, production with Catch up with demand and price will taper off /reduce.

How long that will take is anyones guess.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Fully agree with frazzled earlier post ,on grass fed fats I don't think it makes one blind bit of difference wether it's grass or tmr fat .butter is in vogue now no matter what .this whole grass fed cows out grazing in fields isn't delievering as much as we would like to think

If you read the American food forums they are either raving about Kerrygold or a butter from Normandy, France.
    They all point to the difference in taste from the U.S. butters. The difference?
    The irish and French butters are from grass fed cows the U.S. are indoor tmr fed cows.

Tell me if I'm wrong but the European butters availability on U.S. shelves is only a recent development I think.
    But it's a big market and Kerrygold holds a premium there atm.

What could happen though with quotas gone here is farmers shooting themselves in the foot and start producing for volume above everything else and before you know it we have indoor tmr cows like the rest of the world and bland white butters to go with it. Keep the cows grazing folks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

visatorro wrote: »
    The fat being healthy now is impossible to predict or understand how long and why it will be in fashion. The atkins diet was huge 15 years ago, anyone remember a spike in beef price's?

Maybe it spiked in the US, here we still had BSE keeping a lid on things.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Has anyone tried an atkins diet ha? I got dragged into a week long atkins diet for a friends research program when I was in ucd, I lasted 3days before I said fook that lol. No carbs allowed at all, only fat and protein. No comparison of a complete fad diet with the world having finally stopped listening to the marketing bullsh1t that low fat, butter replacements are meant to be healthy for us. Low fat nowadays is generally accepted to actually mean "high sugar" to replace the lost taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Trouble is, offering an option on a future scheme as part of a current one makes it impossible to price the risk and therefore make an intelligent decision about whether to fix or not.

I can see the problem though - a little incentive to get people fixing and make it a normal part of milk supply is probably a good thing all round.. but it would be nice to see those incentives kept to an absolute minimum.

Ornua claims it is the counterparty to the majority of Irish fixed price contracts. If so, the profits from kerrygold in the current climate should be strong indeed.

Advertisement