Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

kowtow wrote: »
    Trouble is, offering an option on a future scheme as part of a current one makes it impossible to price the risk and therefore make an intelligent decision about whether to fix or not.

I can see the problem though - a little incentive to get people fixing and make it a normal part of milk supply is probably a good thing all round.. but it would be nice to see those incentives kept to an absolute minimum.

Ornua claims it is the counterparty to the majority of Irish fixed price contracts. If so, the profits from kerrygold in the current climate should be strong indeed.

Who said irish farmers were intelligent?:p

I refute that claim entirely and so do the Irish processors I'd say but saying that if you were a conspiracy theorist you'd say Ornua is coining it atm and the call is for more grass fed milk but if the price of milk was increased you'd have lads falling over themselves with zerograzers and maize pits and cubicles. So pay them the least possible price and preach about grass being the cheapest feed and its the only way to survive.
    Then you'll get your grass fed milk.

The alternative is a bonus for grass fed milk or a penalty for tmr produced milk.
    But either of those would never happen.

Tin foil hat off now.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,667 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The omega 3 diff in grass based butter is a USP. Go and buy a free range egg and see the diff in yolk colour.
    That has both a real and a marketing value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,738 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

New 5year fixed price scheme and loyalty scheme announced......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Water John wrote: »
    The omega 3 diff in grass based butter is a USP. Go and buy a free range egg and see the diff in yolk colour.

The fact that carotin is added back into Kerrygold in processing makes it even more desirable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

The fact that carotin is added back into Kerrygold in processing makes it even more desirable?

Sugars are also added to some expensive Champagnes....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

Water John wrote: »

Wasn't aware that carotin was added. Doesn't say it on the label. I thought it was just the carotin from the grass that gave butter its yellow colour. I would have thought adding it in later should be labeled as an added colour? I know butter production pretty much stops at least in some co ops as soon as cows come off grass in large numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭jaymla627

whelan2 wrote: »

You'd really need more then 30 euro a ton on the feed, the whey premate and sunflower seeds aren't great feed haha

Didn't I tell ye all ye/we are loyalists.

Southern loyalists.:p

Bonfires and parades are next inline.:D

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Didn't I tell ye all ye/we are loyalists.

Southern loyalists.:p

Bonfires and parades are next inline.:D

I can tell ya its far from a loyalist I am. I want a fair and proper price for what I produce. I dont want to see.my creamery at the bottom of milk price leagues in Ireland or Europe. If other creameries can pay better why cant glanbia

It isn't, why can't, it's why won't Glanbia pay a fair price. Sorry to correct you Whelan.

• Advertisement

I can tell ya its far from a loyalist I am. I want a fair and proper price for what I produce. I dont want to see.my creamery at the bottom of milk price leagues in Ireland or Europe. If other creameries can pay better why cant glanbia

Non loyalists will be terminated.

Ye''re either all in or all out.

I do know what you're saying but as a spring producer I've always known there's been different price tiers in Glanbia.
    I've looked on in envy at the winter price contract producers. So it's no surprise the biggest takers of these price contracts are spring producers and the biggest opponents are the winter producers who are used to getting 40cents. That's my first thought.

My second one is the way it's going you're better to be in a contract as there's more milk and more producers coming on stream and in the future you could be dropped fairly quickly like a hot potato.
    It's not your co-op it's a corporation now and the sooner you get used to it the better for yourself.

I know I've rolled over and died but I'm concentrating more inside the farm gate where I've control of. We're like Glanbia's dairy cows now.;)

Edit: I post a lot of shyte.

Non loyalists will be terminated.

Ye''re either all in or all out.

I do know what you're saying but as a spring producer I've always known there's been different price tiers in Glanbia.
    I've looked on in envy at the winter price contract producers. So it's no surprise the biggest takers of these price contracts are spring producers and the biggest opponents are the winter producers who are used to getting 40cents. That's my first thought.

My second one is the way it's going you're better to be in a contract as there's more milk and more producers coming on stream and in the future you could be dropped fairly quickly like a hot potato.
    It's not your co-op it's a corporation now and the sooner you get used to it the better for yourself.

I know I've rolled over and died but I'm concentrating more inside the farm gate where I've control of. We're like Glanbia's dairy cows now.;)

Edit: I post a lot of shyte.

So hand on heart you are happy to supply the lowest paying creamery in Europe. As an aside do you buy feed /fertilizer from them too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

So hand on heart you are happy to supply the lowest paying creamery in Europe. As an aside do you buy feed /fertilizer from them too?

The 30€ per tonne would only bring the price of the nuts back to what they should be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

I said it before .farmers are there as part of a hamster wheel to keep.it going round and round .
    The idea is to just keep you there in existence. Buy and sell but pay your bills and let every one else up the chain prosper .your needed , your important and let more come on board and produce more .
    Sorry but the co ops , plcs ,government,don't really give a dam behind it all.
    Call me extreme right !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

A lot of very willing hamsters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭mf240

The 30€ per tonne would only bring the price of the nuts back to what they should be

They would still be about ten euros overpriced.

Just glanced at it. Possible to fix without the feed but priority given to those who fix feed.

Msa will be rolled over for five years for those applying which is reasonable I suppose considering its a five year fixed price.

mf240 wrote: »

Just glanced at it. Possible to fix without the feed but priority given to those who fix feed.

Msa will be rolled over for five years for those applying which is reasonable I suppose considering its a five year fixed price.
    Also priority to those who have bought dairy feed from them in the last 3years

This isn't my fight. But the IFA fought hard nearly 50 years ago, to break the tie between the purchase of inputs by the farmer and the purchase of produce by the processor.
    Here it is again. It's the job of the farm orgs to say this is totally unacceptable.

Cleverly and sadly, farmers are already discussing the minutae, not the principle. Old ruse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Sillycave

A lot of very willing hamsters!

But aren't we all part of the hamster wheel, you and me included as milk producers, fixed price or not!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Hold a while lads how many of you have made money milking cows.maybe because i ve worked off farm but im quiet happy with what i ve made out of farming.if i wasnt i would nt be at it

• Advertisement

K.G. wrote: »
    Hold a while lads how many of you have made money milking cows.maybe because i ve worked off farm but im quiet happy with what i ve made out of farming.if i wasnt i would nt be at it

Yes. But the potential is there to make more money if we were paid what we should be paid. No point just scraping by when you could be making more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭jaymla627

mf240 wrote: »

It's heading into monsanto territory with the feed side of it, would be financial suicide tying yourself to one entity to buy all your feed needs all for a undetermined amount of fixed milk would be some kick in the balls to maybe only get 50k say fixed but in-turn be forced to buy all your meal inputs from them for 5 years, you can count on the small print being pretty epic too, even if they are basically selling you glorified sawdust in a nut you'll have no comeback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

You lot are all damned lucky there's no danger of me supplying Glanbia, there would be no feed left for any of ye.

My girls have augurs where their throats should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭moneyheer

pedigree 6 wrote:
    We're like Glanbia's dairy cows now.

Very true

moneyheer wrote: »
    Very true

I'm a fountain of knowledge.

moneyheer wrote: »
    Very true

I'm a fountain of knowledge.

I'll never again make fun of vegans.

https://farmersweekly.co.nz/section/dairy/view/dairy-war-will-benefit-farmers . Interesting post about NZ. Competition for milk, environmental constraints and plant underutilization adding to processing costs.

Sound familiar?

Was there a milk auction yesterday?

Was there a milk auction yesterday?

https://www.globaldairytrade.info/en/product-results/ for some reason the links are not sharing properly when using my phone. But average down 0.4% so effectively little change. On a brighter note we don't sell any product there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Arrabawn up 1.25 to 35 base vat inc .giddy uo.#whitegold

Advertisement