Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

You could still do casein and whey powder using the skim. Skim milk powder on its own has traditionally been a low margin product and not the type of thing that would lend itself to commanding a premium. If a processor is making a lot of skim its usually not a good sign.

Also forgot the demineralized whey as a casein by product also. In that case not much need for the co ops to have extra dryers as the infant formula companies usually have their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,738 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

In the journal.. .

Good article in the comic about the infant milk formula business making a 25% margin on Irish milk. Co Ops have given it all away to the big multinationals so the benefits are not being returned to the farmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭alps

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Big difference beteween usand the Danes is we are an island of just 4 odd million ,Danes have there internal and huge European market on doorstep .grass based farming should delievery a premium but dose not no matter how much we like to dress it up .where are we going wrong ,we have happy cows our grazing lively lush grass which is supposed to deliever better taste etc than tmr fed ,marketing if U ask me

The island excuse is a complete red herring....weve been spun this excuse for years.

Here's an example of time and cost...

Our brood had a pony competition in Stonleigh Park Coventry at the weekend. Boxed at 5.50pm bank holiday Monday, and unloaded here in Cork at exactly 8.30am next morning..in time for school...

Total cost of that trip one way, including boat and diesel in a 10m truck was 296euros..

Neither time nor cost is the excuse...

The supermarket industry has no such hang ups...Tesco central distribution center for Ireland is in Liverpool. That means goods made in Ireland, destined for shops in Ireland have to be sent to Liverpool initially. It's no big deal..

The reason we don't have a fresh milk products presence in UK or Europe is we have never developed nor joined up to a distribution network.

Interestingly, the little brave company in Tyrone seems to be able to see this..

alps wrote: »
    mahoney_j wrote: »
    Big difference beteween usand the Danes is we are an island of just 4 odd million ,Danes have there internal and huge European market on doorstep .grass based farming should delievery a premium but dose not no matter how much we like to dress it up .where are we going wrong ,we have happy cows our grazing lively lush grass which is supposed to deliever better taste etc than tmr fed ,marketing if U ask me

The island excuse is a complete red herring....weve been spun this excuse for years.

Here's an example of time and cost...

Our brood had a pony competition in Stonleigh Park Coventry at the weekend. Boxed at 5.50pm bank holiday Monday, and unloaded here in Cork at exactly 8.30am next morning..in time for school...

Total cost of that trip one way, including boat and diesel in a 10m truck was 296euros..

Neither time nor cost is the excuse...

The supermarket industry has no such hang ups...Tesco central distribution center for Ireland is in Liverpool. That means goods made in Ireland, destined for shops in Ireland have to be sent to Liverpool initially. It's no big deal..

The reason we don't have a fresh milk products presence in UK or Europe is we have never developed nor joined up to a distribution network.

Interestingly, the little brave company in Tyrone seems to be able to see this..

Mark Twain is quoted as saying something along the lines of.

"Fooling people is easy. Getting them to understand that they have been fooled is much more difficult". Not the exact quote but something along those lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

whelan2 wrote: »
    In the journal.. .

Flip side is the shares sold to finance GI were offloaded at a good price so.

No panic on most to sell any spin out shares so this is a paper loss if u believe value will rise in long term.

Flip side is the shares sold to finance GI were offloaded at a good price so.

No panic on most to sell any spin out shares so this is a paper loss if u believe value will rise in long term.

Ye I know of someone was relying on them for college fees etc, this year. Fair loss €4/share

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Should've got notice this morning for Oct/Nov/Dec milk price, but got an email excusing, and explaining that there's thousands of ton of product in store that's putting downward pressure on price. Hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

EEX and Global Dairy Trade sign Letter of Intent to evaluate a new auction mechanism for dairy products in Europe

http://www.globaldairytrade.info/en/about-us/announcements/eex-and-global-dairy-trade-sign-letter-of-intent-to-evaluate-a-new-auction-mechanism-for-dairy-products-in-europe/

So we might just have an European Dairy Trade auction in the near future. I wonder if this has any thing to do with Fonterras decision to sell less through the GDT and concentrate in selling more through their own value added routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭mf240

According to today's farming indo there's not much interest in the glanbia fixed feed scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,667 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes, that scheme looks like an, overreach on their part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

mf240 wrote: »
    According to today's farming indo there's not much interest in the glanbia fixed feed scheme.

The letters weren't sent out yet.:D

Anyone get the share certificates yet?

Todays GDT up 0.3%.

BMP down 10.1%, WMP down 1.6% and skim down 1.2%.

AMF, up 3.6% and butter, up 3.8% the big movers upwards.

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/butter-prices-rise-3-8-at-global-dairy-trade-306292

Todays GDT up 3.8%.

BMP down 10.1%, WMP down 1.6% and skim down 1.2%.

AMF, up 3.6% and butter, up 3.8% the big movers upwards.

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/butter-prices-rise-3-8-at-global-dairy-trade-306292

That Farmers Journal headline is a bit mis leading, the GDT was up only 0.3%.
    http://www.globaldairytrade.info/en/product-results/

That Farmers Journal headline is a bit mis leading, the GDT was up only 0.3%.
    http://www.globaldairytrade.info/en/product-results/
    Thanks for that, I normally get it from GDT but took a shortcut:rolleyes:

I was wondering how the rise was so big with the major portions in decline alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Sure the Dutch need the extra few quid...tmr, indoor ayr etc etc.

Surely the Irish dairy farmer can produce cheaper than anyone else on the planet!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

I see over on agriland glanbia are talking down the price of milk for 2018.#white gold might not last long so

• Advertisement

boggerman1 wrote: »
    I see over on agriland glanbia are talking down the price of milk for 2018.#white gold might not last long so

So that means bottom of the tables for 2018 again for glanbia...

Whether it was milk or grain, Avonmore has always a fondness for the lower end of the scale.

boggerman1 wrote: »

There getting very efficient. Usually there only talking down prices a couple of months at a time.:pac:

There learning the spin from the meat processors.

Are we looking at a cent increase for August?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

whelan2 wrote: »
    Are we looking at a cent increase for August?

In Glanbia's case,more than likely
    Others will too,meaning Glanbia incredulously remain paddy last
    How they'd be able to justify that is beyond me given all the glossy promises of the 'new venture'

Remaining paddy last could have only one conclusion
    We were hoodwinked again,the large Fall in share price since adding salt to the wound
    You'd have to be Angry

I'd be hopefull that they might try to redeem some credibility with a 2cent rise.

I'd be hopefull that they might try to redeem some credibility with a 2cent rise.

You'd be hopeful alright. But I'll believe it when I see it. How could you even think of signing into a 5year supply agreement with the low price they are consistently paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭moneyheer

Remaining paddy last could have only one conclusion We were hoodwinked again,the large Fall in share price since adding salt to the wound You'd have to be Angry

No point angry or mad you just get even. By that l mean sign noting, Glanbia have everything they well worked out in their favour before they launch any of these schemes. Local merchant down here reckons he can sell feed every bit as as Glanbia with no €30 a tonne rebate

• Advertisement

1 cent..... and 1cpl top up on all milk supplied from January to june

Advertisement