Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,738 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Water John wrote: »
    Organic milk was north of 40 cent last year when milk was in the low 20s.
    But sure, milk is milk.
    Milk is worth what the consumer decides it's worth. But we also have influence on what the consumer thinks.

€1.50 per litre? Are you sure it's milk and not poitin, at that price.
    protein milk is 1.60 euro for 500 ml in my local shop, some mark up on that, you get 2 of them for 2 euro in dealz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Organic milk was north of 40 cent last year when milk was in the low 20s.
    But sure, milk is milk.
    Milk is worth what the consumer decides it's worth. But we also have influence on what the consumer thinks.

€1.50 per litre? Are you sure it's milk and not poitin, at that price.

We wouldn't use much, milkman leaves 4 litres a week and the dogs'd get some of that.....that's why we'd keep forgetting it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,661 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Or as I have pointed out before, Shop brand butter €2.25, Coop branded butter €3.25, side by side. Consumer decides.
    But farmers should never undersell their product.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

Like it or not unless you are making whole milk powder or cheese, milk fat will always be with us. So its not really a case of having to make a big investment to handle that cream but rather come down on our knee's and start thanking God that finally butter and natural fats being restored to their rightful place of actually having a decent value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

How do we get from this..
    rangler1 wrote: »
    Any one that tried selling milk locally around here thinking their milk is something different have gone out of business.
    Hence, milk is just milk

to this?
    rangler1 wrote: »
    I grew up doing my turn turning the churn....butter and eggs paid the groceries....used to sell milk too to neighbours and no one died

We'll have to turn the clock back I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

There was a young man here a few weeks ago looking at a tractor for his father. The father is young and milking 60 cows while the son is a primary school teacher. They always bought a new tractor but the way things have developed he's investing in a second hand.
    Whilst talking about the future of the farm he told me how he's developing a niché market for the milk selling yoghurt and raw milk at farmers markets etc, and is close to being listed for SuperValu...

He also mentioned a producer from north Cork that's moving 2k litres of raw milk per week at €2/litre. Not bad. I think the mans wife/partner is German.

You'd have to admire people that go against the flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Fixture

There was a young man here a few weeks ago looking at a tractor for his father. The father is young and milking 60 cows while the son is a primary school teacher. They always bought a new tractor but the way things have developed he's investing in a second hand.
    Whilst talking about the future of the farm he told me how he's developing a niché market for the milk selling yoghurt and raw milk at farmers markets etc, and is close to being listed for SuperValu...

He also mentioned a producer from north Cork that's moving 2k litres of raw milk per week at €2/litre. Not bad. I think the mans wife/partner is German.

You'd have to admire people that go against the flow.

Fair play to them and great to see innovative people succeeding.

However I hope the guys selling "2k litres of raw milk per week" are well insured - read a piece a few years ago by prof Paddy Wall warning that it's an accident waiting to happen. Warm day at farmers market, raw milk in car for half a day before consumption -- high risk stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Fixture wrote: »
    Fair play to them and great to see innovative people succeeding.

However I hope the guys selling "2k litres of raw milk per week" are well insured - read a piece a few years ago by prof Paddy Wall warning that it's an accident waiting to happen. Warm day at farmers market, raw milk in car for half a day before consumption -- high risk stuff.

I sell fresh warm milk to the locals here. I've no worries, other than the fact that I'm not charging enough at 66cpl. Price hike next month!

That man from Cork is also selling a range of other products...

My crew must've read that article. They're obliged to announce min price today 'till year end. Interesting to see what they'll come out with.

• Advertisement

Kerry up to 36cpl. A full cent per litre ahead of glanbia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

whelan2 wrote: »

Glanbia,by been at the bottom can always say things are looking up so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Dairygold up by 1.5c to 35.5 inclusive of vat, plus .5 c quality bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

And their plc shares are rising not falling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭cute geoge

You must be under 200 scc to get kerry top price
    They reduce price by 0.4cent if cell count between 200 -300 and further 0.25 cent if between 300-400

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

The glory days are back......... For how long??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The glory days are back......... For how long??

Just for this month so we wouldn't be throwing eggs at Stan Mc.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

great stuff, any word on the 16th payment for last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Add arrabawn to that list 36 base

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Dairygold up by 1.5c to 35.5 inclusive of vat, plus .5 c quality bonus.

35 base/ edit, apologies you are bang on just read your post wrong myself 35.5 base

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

aurivo 36.5 incl for august including a 1c bonus for the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Henwin wrote: »
    Don't mention the war!

Lots of rumours doing the rounds but nothing I would pay much attention to atm.

I imagine it will be left to the new man to sort out, for better or worse. Afaik, Stan has two more weeks left in situ so plenty of time to get it sorted if he has a mind to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Henwin wrote: »

16th payment......?? Did I miss 13,14 and 15???

Sure if we're all around 36, then one set of managers and board are as good or bad as the next, therefore one co-op would be fine and we'd probably be getting 38 or 39 with the money saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,661 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Podzol, I'd say with one processor only, you're price might be 33c/litre.

Sure if we're all around 36, then one set of managers and board are as good or bad as the next, therefore one co-op would be fine and we'd probably be getting 38 or 39 with the money saved.

In theory yes in practice no. Unless you want to create the dairy processing equivalent to the HSE. The bigger co op may have less managers and board members to pay ect per liter of milk. But as we are all now aware of the boards and management of larger co op get paid multiple times the rates of smaller co ops. Also worth remembering that anytime milk price is falling its the large processors leading the way.

Just checking to see we're ye awake.

Is that fixed? For how long. Msa needed?

Is that fixed? For how long. Msa needed?

It wouldn't be an MSA but rather a marriage contract. Price fixed? Just look at to beef industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭alps

Heard tonight that Aldi/Lidl have approached farmer with an offer to by milk at 40c......

Advertisement