Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

alps wrote: »
    Heard tonight that Aldi/Lidl have approached farmer with an offer to by milk at 40c......

Raw milk? Who will bottle it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Heard tonight that Aldi/Lidl have approached farmer with an offer to by milk at 40c......

Yet they're selling milk at 66c per litre. Making very little of our top class local fresh product

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,738 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Is that base price?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Is that base price?

It's f all only a headline to divert attention away from the bad feeling among liquid farmers to their devaluation of our top quality Bord Bia assured milk.

It's to stop a protest at their stand on the ploughing. Nothing more nothing less. Lots of full trolleys being abandoned in their shops lately. 15 in the Tullamore store last week, allegedly ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭orm0nd

so who's taking part in the protest at the ploughing ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

It's f all only a headline to divert attention away from the bad feeling among liquid farmers to their devaluation of our top quality Bord Bia assured milk.

It's to stop a protest at their stand on the ploughing. Nothing more nothing less. Lots of full trolleys being abandoned in their shops lately. 15 in the Tullamore store last week, allegedly ;)

Good few too in nenagh ...allegedly

orm0nd wrote: »

I'll certainly be asking some questions

mahoney_j wrote: »

Good few too in nenagh ...allegedly

Not sure why they would be abandoning trolleys in Nenagh or signaling out the German retailers either for that matter? All the retailers have been using milk as a loss leader not just the Germans. Only thing the Germans may have done that could be considered a bigger crime than the others is that they changed suppliers and possibility upset some by doing so?

On the question of milk retailing at 66c being a poor price? If you think about it, a lot of that is low fat and even the full fat is only 3.6fat. So it could be argued that liquid milk in the current environment is almost like a by product of the butter industry.

The point about the Aldi is their hypocrisy stating their support for Irish farming and our quality produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,282 ✭✭✭tanko

The point about the Aldi is their hypocrisy stating their support for Irish farming and our quality produce.

Are Dunnes, Tesco and Supervalu any better?

• Advertisement

See Glanbia milk cheques in account today, almost double what I got for last August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,282 ✭✭✭tanko

tanko wrote: »

Agree but Aldi are in a price war with Dunnes despite their ads proclaiming support for local produce. Look at veg for Christmas and Easter.

Target them both to stop it spreading and further dropping price at farm gate.

Our product is loca, fresh and quality assured so we should do all in our power to stop it being devalued

tanko wrote: »

Ask anyone supplying them and the answer is usually a very definite no. SuperValus blackwater range of yoghurt was made in Spain until they got caught out. Word from suppliers that I would have spoken to is that the Germans are upfront and honest to deal with. No messing. What is agreed is agreed.

However let's call a spade a spade. Glanbia lost the milk contract in favour of other Irish suppliers and that must be grounds for a protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

There'll be no protests at the ploughing.

Listen to Anna May on Countrywide on the rte player if you don't believe me.
    She's as good as said she'll cut the liathroidi off anyone who even attempts one at the ploughing.

Floki wrote: »
    They'll be no protests at the ploughing.

She's as good as said she'll cut the liathroidi off anyone who even attempts one at the ploughing.
    Aye no one crosses Anna May...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I'd go for badness after reading that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

I'd go for badness after reading that.

Go ahead! :D

Some one was saying before Anna may took over payment for stands would be whenever. the banks would pay the following year for last years stand. She told them if payment wasnt received before the start of the event there would be a barbed wire fence around their stands... payment was made a few hours later....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Some one was saying before Anna may took over payment for stands would be whenever. the banks would pay the following year for last years stand. She told them if payment wasnt received before the start of the event there would be a barbed wire fence around their stands... payment was made a few hours later....

Anna wouldn't be my cuppa...

She approached me years back about having a suitable site...likes her own way.

I presume that ye know that she's not doing it for your good. Gets nice coverage from msm gratis. Nice.

• Advertisement

Anna wouldn't be my cuppa...

She approached me years back about having a suitable site...likes her own way.

I presume that ye know that she's not doing it for your good. Gets nice coverage from msm gratis. Nice.
    Did you get your milk price thingy yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Grand, we'll send the women up so.
    Aye no one crosses Anna May...
    Anna May V Whelan2, that'll be one hell of a match up:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Grand, we'll send the women up so.

Anna May V Whelan2, that'll be one hell of a match up:pac:

Whelan ... duty calls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Did you get your milk price thingy yesterday?

Yep. 35cpl + vat 'till years end. I was telling a neighbor this evening that you are almost getting the same. He was on the phone immediately to rally the troops. Duck shyte time again methinks.

This article explains their thinking. Kowtow will translate...:)

Whelan ... duty calls
    Anna might never have heard all the bad words that I use

Whelan ... duty calls
    Anna might never have heard all the bad words that I use

That sounds like you are calling her out? This could be bigger than the McGregor fight. How much will it cost to watch on sky?

Glanbia milk statements online , 37.64 cpl, fixed price bringing it down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Ive benmen watch the bit of aggro directed to Aldi regarding the supposed price war with milk in the supermarkets. What does it matter what price they are selling milk for? It's not affecting the price the farmer is getting paid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Ive benmen watch the bit of aggro directed to Aldi regarding the supposed price war with milk in the supermarkets. What does it matter what price they are selling milk for? It's not affecting the price the farmer is getting paid?

They will use milk as a loss leader to get people in ,next time tender for milk goes out to coops they will leave them fight it out and cut one another to the bone to secure the contract .supermarket wins ,coop wins and the only one to suffer will. Be the farmer supplying liquid milk and milking 365.aldi are comming in for harsh criticism over this and very rightly so but I've alluded to it in twitter as well our coops have to take there fair share of blame here too as there vying for contracts to supply them
    My own coop supply's to Aldi for there own brand milk and last year took a chunk of glanbias Tesco contract .this didn't go down well within the coops circle and u can bet next time this contract comes up glanbia or someone else will go hell for leather to take it from us .....possibly at a loss or most likely break even price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Dawgs article points out that the EU commission has sold SMP at 1850, a 300 E drop on previous sales, and the market is taking that as a signal that they will drop further in order to shift the intervention stocks. There is, therefore, a buyers strike for skim with buyers anticipating further falls and that's limiting the potential for producers to take full advantage of the record highs in the butter price - effectively putting a cap on the milk price.

The article suggests that other countries (among them Ireland and Poland) may be able to take advantage in the meantime of rises in industrial cheeses, but France can't because that isn't their thing.

Advertisement