Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Ive benmen watch the bit of aggro directed to Aldi regarding the supposed price war with milk in the supermarkets. What does it matter what price they are selling milk for? It's not affecting the price the farmer is getting paid?

They will use milk as a loss leader to get people in ,next time tender for milk goes out to coops they will leave them fight it out and cut one another to the bone to secure the contract .supermarket wins ,coop wins and the only one to suffer will. Be the farmer supplying liquid milk and milking 365.aldi are comming in for harsh criticism over this and very rightly so but I've alluded to it in twitter as well our coops have to take there fair share of blame here too as there vying for contracts to supply them
    My own coop supply's to Aldi for there own brand milk and last year took a chunk of glanbias Tesco contract .this didn't go down well within the coops circle and u can bet next time this contract comes up glanbia or someone else will go hell for leather to take it from us .....possibly at a loss or most likely break even price

But why pick on Aldi? Their all at it and have been with a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Very simple, they're using their alleged support of Irish producers of fresh and assured to gain market share.

Pure hypocrisy

Very simple, they're using their alleged support of Irish producers of fresh and assured to gain market share.

Pure hypocrisy

Name one super market chain who doesn't do that? They all do it.

This just smacks of a certain big co op calling in a favour from IFA because they lost a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Farmer Ed wrote: »

This just smacks of a certain big co op calling in a favour from IFA because they lost a contract.

For a guy who spouts so much about farmers being bottom of the food chain, thank you for your support. I really hope you continue to do well. No need to reply to me as I'm not getting involved with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Below the belt ed ,I'm not a liquid producer but my dad was in his time so I can appreciate the gripe with Aldi which i 100% support and like many others I'll be calling tomorrow dairy farmers be it liquid or spring calving need and should be united on this and call supermarkets to task in there total devaluing of a top quality fresh product which is supplied to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

It's time a bit of realism was injected into the whole farming politics debate in this country.

I can't be the only one increasingly irritated by the high-budget Bord Bia advert green-washing 99.5% of Ireland's farms at a stroke while ignoring the complex realities of nitrates, environmental consideration - and perhaps most of all - the fact that fewer are fewer Irish farms are sustainable in the only sense that matters from year to year, which is their capacity to support a farm family.

The hard facts are the world is being sold the story of a premium, natural, product and farmers are being pushed harder and harder to treat their work as the extraction of a commodity, and to borrow and scale accordingly.

I'm not making an environmental point here so much as observing that there is money in dressing up a commodity as something more, and that money isn't ending up with producers. It is our principles which are being sacrificed for someone else's profits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

kowtow wrote: »
    It's time a bit of realism was injected into the whole farming politics debate in this country.

I can't be the only one increasingly irritated by the high-budget Bord Bia advert green-washing 99.5% of Ireland's farms at a stroke while ignoring the complex realities of nitrates, environmental consideration - and perhaps most of all - the fact that fewer are fewer Irish farms are sustainable in the only sense that matters from year to year, which is their capacity to support a farm family.

The hard facts are the world is being sold the story of a premium, natural, product and farmers are being pushed harder and harder to treat their work as the extraction of a commodity, and to borrow and scale accordingly.

I'm not making an environmental point here so much as observing that there is money in dressing up a commodity as something more, and that money isn't ending up with producers. It is our principles which are being sacrificed for someone else's profits.

If you're supplying a market, you have to be price competitive first and the you can dress your product up with add ons, Like the air conditioning in cars it doesn't be long till everyone has the same addons and you have to invent a new one, so the product has to be pushed harder and harder too......a never ending struggle not only to gain an edge but to keep it too.
    We had a chinese group here lately and it was obvious they were impressed with our green grass, lambs running as nature intended, hedge sowing, etc etc....If that;s the meaning of greenwashing bring it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,657 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Our processors have been competing, with each other, in many markets, both wholesale and retail, as long as I can remember.
    I think it should be policy of the farm orgs that no retailer. should sell any farm produce, as a loss leader. this includes veg, meats and dairy produce.
    All main retail chains and the public, should be acquainted and regularly reminded of this policy by Irish farmers and Agricultural industry.

A public picket should be a last use strategy, when other communications have been ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭mf240

Remember the groceries order that prevented supermarkets from selling products at below the purchase price (loss leaders?) It was removed in 05

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Just reading a bulletin from the Coop on the state of play with supply. There has been an 11.7% drop in milk suppliers, but there is a 0.65% increase in supply.
    Consolidation is happening fairly fast...

The farmers board rep reckons that if you supply less than 1mln litres the writing is on the wall. He'll get slated for that for sure!
    The milk supply is evolving as predicted...

• Advertisement

mahoney_j wrote: »

Below the belt ed ,I'm not a liquid producer but my dad was in his time so I can appreciate the gripe with Aldi which i 100% support and like many others I'll be calling tomorrow dairy farmers be it liquid or spring calving need and should be united on this and call supermarkets to task in there total devaluing of a top quality fresh product which is supplied to them

So why pick on Aldi and not all the main retailers? Wake up and smell the roses for God sake.

Actually was just thinking about this there are approximately 20 jobs within a five mile radius of here that are dependent on making food products for Aldi. These products would otherwise be most likely imported. I personally know the business owners and both of them are very happy at the way Aldi deal with them. And these are small business owners. I also know of another food supplier who lost a contract to an Irish owned food chain on Christmas week a while back and had to put his six staff on notice. Dealing with the multiples is not easy and sure we should protest more, but making a scape goat out of one and especially when that one is no where near the worst offender just totally lacks credibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

40.94 cent per litre from kerry that was ok :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

oxjkqg wrote: »
    40.94 cent per litre from kerry that was ok :)

Still underpaying. Just saying, like :pac:

They are to be sure, and any sign of the 13th payment :confused: its a joke really. No sign of it being resolved, and out of arbitration?
    if we got 1.5 cent bonus on the first 6 months milk supply this year it would be the finest. still nice cheque tho, i was happy with it.

12.35 cent more than august last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭degetme

They are to be sure, and any sign of the 13th payment :confused: its a joke really. No sign of it being resolved, and out of arbitration?
    if we got 1.5 cent bonus on the first 6 months milk supply this year it would be the finest. still nice cheque tho, i was happy with it.

12.35 cent more than august last year.

Are ye going to sign up to the new fixed price scheme?

degetme wrote: »

Arah i dont think i will to be honest. I didnt go for it the last time. looking at the past couple of years it will balance out price wise on the cycles it is going through. I think the fixed price is a must to a farmer whos going at a sizable construction job or purchasing land etc from a financial point of view it looks well for the bank for security, guranteed % at X price. Are you a kerry supplier? will you go for it? I could be wrong as hell but i dont know, every1 to there own i suppose.

Doubt it tbh. I think the price is below their 3 year average price and it's looking like dairy fats are going to hold for a while so the drop when it comes should have a cushion of sorts.

Arah i dont think i will to be honest. I didnt go for it the last time. looking at the past couple of years it will balance out price wise on the cycles it is going through. I think the fixed price is a must to a farmer whos going at a sizable construction job or purchasing land etc from a financial point of view it looks well for the bank for security, guranteed % at X price. Are you a kerry supplier? will you go for it? I could be wrong as hell but i dont know, every1 to there own i suppose.

ya Kerry supplier. we went for it the last time at 30% fixed and was glad I did. gained since march 15 to june 17. starting to loose out now as base price is increasing. might fix 10% only this time.

ya Kerry supplier. we went for it the last time at 30% fixed and was glad I did. gained since march 15 to june 17. starting to loose out now as base price is increasing. might fix 10% only this time.

A clare man or a kerry man :rolleyes:;) like always it wont stay at this price for long

• Advertisement

A clare man or a kerry man :rolleyes:;) like always it wont stay at this price for long

better again limerick man

GDT up 0.9%. AMF and butter up and skim down 1.2%.

We really need to start moving that skim soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Is there much skim in intervention?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭alps

Out calf milk replacer should cost next to nothing next spring..

Time to seriously revisit the A + B - C formula? Protein still being paid for at a much higher rate than Fat. This no longer reflects the true market value. Especially if that protein is just being made in to skim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭blackdog1

alps wrote: »

most calf replacers use very little skim and they always charge according to milk price i find. expect to pay 55-60 euro per 25kg bag or 2200-2400 a tonne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

alps wrote: »

If only

yewtree wrote: »

Is there much skim in intervention?
    Some 300k tonnes I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Some pretty eye catching numbers on glanbia Ireland in the journal, total payroll costs for 688 employees was 56 million our 84000 a worker.
    Theirs also 151 million euros worth of stock in store wonder what the best before date is their, the stock in store pretty much accounts for and more what the 100 million they got last year with the share exchange bond money was swallowed up by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

price i got was 40.862 pro 3.52 bf4.48

Advertisement