Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

43.7 cent/litre. 3.75 protein and 4.68 fat. 36.5 cent base. Protein bonus pushing it up, fixed price scheme pulling it down a small bit

• Registered Users Posts: 22 steer

Many litres at that high of solids?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Only two words,boom,boom.now lads i was looking last night at irelands ricj list and they refered to dermot desmond seeing the dotcom bubble bursting.so with that in mind any predictions when milk price is going to crash

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

steer wrote: »
    Many litres at that high of solids?

Nothing to exciting around 21 litres on average for the month. Will do 460 kg ms sent to coop for the year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

K.G. wrote: »
    Only two words,boom,boom.now lads i was looking last night at irelands ricj list and they refered to dermot desmond seeing the dotcom bubble bursting.so with that in mind any predictions when milk price is going to crash

Dermot's father was one of the customs officer who stopped Charlie at the border with his stash of weapons. Strangely they ended up becoming the best of friends. When old Mr Desmond died I remember Charlie few down in a helicopter to his funeral in Macroom.

Strange but true.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Soft landing?the fundamentals are sound?this is the new price level?butter the new messiah?.

Soft landing?the fundamentals are sound?this is the new price level?butter the new messiah?.

Actually of course you are correct and things will fall again at some stage, but I do know someone who tried to buy butter from a co op recently and was told that it would be cheaper buy it in the shops. The reason given was that the co op had forward sold butter to the shops and it would not be until those contracts expired that they could up the price to the shops. So based on that I would imagine we could be looking at more of a price rise before we see a fall again.

How much who knows? Let's face it we are all just professional gamblers even if we don't like to admit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Farmer Ed wrote: »

How much who knows? Let's face it we are all just professional gamblers even if we don't like to admit it.

You can't call gambling a profession. Farming is a profession, gambling is 'trade'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,737 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

kowtow wrote: »
    You can't call gambling a profession. Farming is a profession, gambling is 'trade'.
    Was a lad on a quiz show last night and he gave up his day job to be a professional gambler, only bets on horses, said he is making more than when he was "working"

Either way none of us can predict with any degree of certainty what return we will make on our investments.

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was a lad on a quiz show last night and he gave up his day job to be a professional gambler, only bets on horses, said he is making more than when he was "working"

Was a passenger in a car last year with a guy who took a phone call from his boss who was quite angry that he had forgotten to put on a bet. I was told he was putting on bets on a regular basis for someone and they had a winning rate of 70% betting on horses.

All I can say is at least with greyhounds they don't have anyone on their backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Was a passenger in a car last year with a guy who took a phone call from his boss who was quite angry that he had forgotten to put on a bet. I was told he was putting on bets on a regular basis for someone and they had a winning rate of 70% betting on horses.

All I can say is at least with greyhounds they don't have anyone on their backs.

You never heard how j.p. mac started his empire so

cute geoge wrote: »

I'm saying nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭orm0nd

jeez that brings back memories, I remember placing my hard earned fiver bet at the markets fields, with the sundance kid, as he was known.

I'm still milking me few cows & JP is worth 800 million +

Both of us are happy out though.

orm0nd wrote: »

jeez that brings back memories, I remember placing my hard earned fiver bet at the markets fields, with the sundance kid, as he was known.

I'm still milking me few cows & JP is worth 800 million +

Both of us are happy out though.

Both of you are still gambling. Not taking from your success but I'm guessing JP probably has a better win rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

No experience of betting but I'm told you can get barred from bookmakers.

My father was approached by an Irish tenor at a horse sale to bid for a horse for him. He bought the horse and the tenor gave him a hundred.

Floki wrote: »

No experience of betting but I'm told you can get barred from bookmakers.

My father was approached by an Irish tenor at a horse sale to bid for a horse for him. He bought the horse and the tenor gave him a hundred.

I think if your so successful that you get banned from the bookies then that is when you start to get other people to lay the bets for you. At least that's my understanding of it anyway.

Also let's not forget if most people didn't lose money at the bookies the bookies would quickly go broke. Much more common to see punters going broke. Heard an ex gaa player talking about his gambling addiction on the radio one day. It totally destroyed his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

France and Germany drive last-ditch intervention surge

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/france-and-germany-drive-last-ditch-intervention-surge-310487

The EU’s two largest milk producers accounted for the bulk of the increase. France placed more than 900t into the scheme, a sudden increase after very low usage this year. Germany sold 738t of SMP into intervention.

So it's not the Irish driving intervention stocks higher but the ones giving out about the Irish increase in production, surprisingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Received 39.823 at 3.64p and 4.07bf. Fixed price pulling me back more than normal as supply back this year due to tb so a greater percentage in fixed. Scheme ending this month, I think, so will have nothing fixed then, didn't bother with second scheme

Floki wrote:

A hundred out of a tenor?

Born trader.

• Advertisement

Floki wrote:

A hundred out of a tenor?

Born trader.

Obviously just auto correct gone haywire I am pretty sure trainer was the missing word.

Obviously just auto correct gone haywire I am pretty sure trainer was the missing word.

Nope. Tenor. :)

Nope. Tenor. :)

Didn't know singers were in to houses?

Now who's misusing the autocorrect.

There's plenty of singers in houses.

Now who's misusing the autocorrect.

There's plenty of singers in houses.

Ah you shouldn't be making fun of my Chinese phone

France and Germany drive last-ditch intervention surge

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/france-and-germany-drive-last-ditch-intervention-surge-310487

The EU’s two largest milk producers accounted for the bulk of the increase. France placed more than 900t into the scheme, a sudden increase after very low usage this year. Germany sold 738t of SMP into intervention.

So it's not the Irish driving intervention stocks higher but the ones giving out about the Irish increase in production, surprisingly.

They must be making more butter than usual.

That's what I hate about intervention (of any kind).. unintended distortions. For example, is the stock in intervention the cause of today's high butter price or (in part) the result? Surprisingly, it could be either.

I'd rather hear the market's signals first hand than through the echo chamber of intervention stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

They must be making more butter than usual.

That's what I hate about intervention (of any kind).. unintended distortions. For example, is the stock in intervention the cause of today's high butter price or (in part) the result? Surprisingly, it could be either.

I'd rather hear the market's signals first hand than through the echo chamber of intervention stores.

+1.

Spot price €410/ton today...
    US production +2% for Aug.
    Cheap grains and soft dollar will open the taps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,737 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Is anyone signing up to the 5year " loyalty" schemes. I have asked a good few farmers and none of them are. The word from glanbia is they will be over subscribed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

whelan2 wrote: »
    Is anyone signing up to the 5year " loyalty" schemes. I have asked a good few farmers and none of them are. The word from glanbia is they will be over subscribed.

Hardly likely to say anything else are they ,trying to force lads hands that are still on the fence .im all for fixed price schemes but trying to
    Link it to meal etc is a step too far ,especially when there's better value elsewhere ......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

they tell us how much we are getting for our product ,but i have seen no word on how much they want for theirs....:pac:

Advertisement