Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

jaymla627 wrote: »
    It's more complicated then that, if base milk price is say a average base price of 34 cent for the year, you have to pay them 3.5cent x fixed amount but on the other hand if base price is 25 cent for the next year they pay you a top-up of 6.5 cent on your fixed amount.....
    Rep is coming out here tomorrow with all the particulars will be interesting to see the ins and outs of it exactly

Is it not the same with Glanbia, in that if you sign up you won't get any more or less than the base price for 20% of your milk.
    What you're highlighting is as expected and not complicated, they're just playing the odds really, they're betting on the price of milk.
    An insurance Company could take that on.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

rangler1 wrote: »
    It's more complicated then that, if base milk price is say a average base price of 34 cent for the year, you have to pay them 3.5cent x fixed amount but on the other hand if base price is 25 cent for the next year they pay you a top-up of 6.5 cent on your fixed amount.....
    Rep is coming out here tomorrow with all the particulars will be interesting to see the ins and outs of it exactly

Is it not the same with Glanbia, in that if you sign up you won't get any more or less than the base price for 20% of your milk.
    What you're highlighting is as expected and not complicated, they're just playing the odds really, they're betting on the price of milk.

The Co Op is not the one betting as they are going to be paying out the same amount of money regardless. Its the farmer is betting against the other 80 or 90% of milk that is not fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Fixed price contracts are meant to be for agreed volumes that glanbia forward sale to another party for x amount of years at a agreed price our so we are told.....
    The Grennans scheme is effectively hedging over five years milk will average out at 31.5 cent base price, if the arse falls out of it and say 26cent is the average over the five years they are out of pocket likewise they are up money if it where to average 33 cent over the 5 year

Fixed price contracts are meant to be for agreed volumes that glanbia forward sale to another party for x amount of years at a agreed price our so we are told.....
    The Grennans scheme is effectively hedging over five years milk will average out at 31.5 cent base price, if the arse falls out of it and say 26cent is the average over the five years they are out of pocket likewise they are up money if it where to average 33 cent over the 5 year

Is it honestly plausible to believe that any company has forward brought product five year ahead in the current climate with Brexit ext? Honestly the must think people came down in the last shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,737 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Any word on Lakeland price yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

I think that's what I was trying to say, It's uncompetitive what glanbia are doing and Grennans will highlight that by doing what they're doing.
    I'd say the talk of glanbia having fixed price contracts is BS, if the price drops and they can't afford to give 31c for 20% of the milk they can drop the price 1c/ltr for the rest and the 20% is immediately subsidised by 4c/ltr.
    I can't believe farmers are taking Glanbia serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    Is it honestly plausible to believe that any company has forward brought product five year ahead in the current climate with Brexit ext? Honestly the must think people came down in the last shower.

In the glanbia structure the plc arm of the company could be the "customer", of course its a pisstake that they also own 40% of the co-op they are buying off but that's the situation glanbia suppliers find themselves in,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I was happy with a 1c/litre retrospective payment.

Stunt, that's an opinion based on an assumption that the majority value the league. I'm afraid they don't.

IFJ chose to include it, wrongly in my opinion but it proves my point about the irrevelance of that league. The CG audit is the only one of value IMO.

I'm absolutely not happy about no rise how could I? It's a matter I'll raise elsewhere

Btw, what's you facination with Glanbias price? Are you considering jumping ship?

Naghhh I’m just pissed off I never jumped when I had the chance ,I’ve had many sleepless nights over it ............NOT!!!!.
    Not in one bit facinated with glanbia price ,just like everyone else here sharing an opinion ,I’m a dairy farmer and have an interest ,same as I would of any other coop ,interestingly I hear virtually no rumblings of discontent from any other coop ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

mahoney_j wrote: »
    ,interestingly I hear virtually no rumblings of discontent from any other coop ....

Then you either need a hearing aid or an upgrade of the one you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Ah in fairness there are people not happy with every coop and glanbia prob has the larger number of people on here anyway so more commentary on it. Still depending on what each coop does it is interesting to see the different ways about it.
    The point above made that it depends on each farmer is true also. Those with little debt or less labour etc, or indeed any other personal circumstance may be less exposed at lower prices than others who have to make repaymebts etx so a fixed price may offer levels of certainty once you can make a margin on it. Just have to be careful what way it goes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Naghhh I’m just pissed off I never jumped when I had the chance ,I’ve had many sleepless nights over it ............NOT!!!!.
    Not in one bit facinated with glanbia price ,just like everyone else here sharing an opinion ,I’m a dairy farmer and have an interest ,same as I would of any other coop ,interestingly I hear virtually no rumblings of discontent from any other coop ....
    The majority of posters here are Glanbia suppliers so the majority of conversations here will be about them. I would say most suppliers have questioned the prices they are getting a few times every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

So no answer then on what’s wrong with having a league of base milk price’s ?

I know Glanbia don’t like it because it shows up how poorly they pay 60% of their suppliers compared to the other co ops
    And of course of the 40% fixed ,many have half or less fixed
    Some ver very little

But hush hush don’t tell anyone?
    Is that it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭mf240

Glanbia are paying the lowest price in the country at the moment. End debate. ....

So no answer then on what’s wrong with having a league of base milk price’s ?

I know Glanbia don’t like it because it shows up how poorly they pay 60% of their suppliers compared to the other co ops
    And of course of the 40% fixed ,many have half or less fixed
    Some ver very little

But hush hush don’t tell anyone?
    Is that it?

It should be based on just base price, anything else can be commented on after

The majority of posters here are Glanbia suppliers so the majority of conversations here will be about them. I would say most suppliers have questioned the prices they are getting a few times every year.

That and we are not allowed call the name in vain of another sacred Co Op on this thread as it has been forbidden by those who worship.

That and we are not allowed call the name in vain of another sacred Co Op on this thread as it has been forbidden by those who worship.

You have a whole thread for that, and the commentary on it always veered off milk price with your lead hence the thread separation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Don't be surprised if glanbia pay out another cent of July to Dec milk to get them up the milk league chart to hoodwink those with short memories.they could have given another cent for September and that was it maybe going any higher.hopefully my centenary co-op will pay us our bonus next week and not try and pull another stunt

Mooooo wrote: »
    You have a whole thread for that, and the commentary on it always veered off milk price with your lead hence the thread separation

My apologies Hallowed be its name.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

My apologies Hallowed be its name.

AMEN.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Why?

The info supplied is not correct from all sources

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

greysides wrote: »
    AMEN.

I see what you did there. Very subtle. 😉😉

Yep of course we do question price within coop ,there’s lots of suppliers here from other coops ,al/most of the gripes are with glanbia ranging from there milk price to fixed scheme details milk supply agreements etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

K.G. wrote: »
    The info supplied is not correct from all sources

Can you be more specific

All anyone needs is the base price comparison to see who is performing and who is not

Yep of course we do question price within coop ,there’s lots of suppliers here from other coops ,al/most of the gripes are with glanbia ranging from there milk price to fixed scheme details milk supply agreements etc etc

Ah there are others alright. Let me think? Columbia ? Zambia? Namibia? No their not co ops are they? Still don't know what's this bia thing is all about? Still as you said yourself your happy you didn't leave. I bet you are also happy your co op didn't get taken over. You do know that 15k was spent just on consultancy fees alone, advising at least one another co op that we know of on how to take over Arrabawn? Thankfully the plan was a spectacular failure. Will hopefully share the details later in another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Of course Kerry Coop will be along shortly to pay the 13th payment for the last 3 years to get them up the top of the milk league for the leading price paid for milk - coconut milk that is

Lakeland up 1 cent for sept milk .........

What is their base price now? Just looked it up 36.5 cpl base price. Wtf are glanbia at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

IFA: September milk price update: Glanbia holds Sept price at Aug level, Lakeland pays 1cpl bonus on Sept supplies.

IFA: September milk price update: Glanbia holds Sept price at Aug level, Lakeland pays 1cpl bonus on Sept supplies.

Yes so now 1.5 cent ahead of glanbia.

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »

What is their base price now? Just looked it up 36.5 cpl base price. Wtf are glanbia at?

Setting a bad example for the rest of them as far as I can see. A liability to Irish dairy farmers.

Advertisement