Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,737 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    Setting a bad example for the rest of them as far as I can see. A liability to Irish dairy farmers.

I am so happy I didnt sign up to another 5 years of this crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

oxjkqg wrote: »
    Of course Kerry Coop will be along shortly to pay the 13th payment for the last 3 years to get them up the top of the milk league for the leading price paid for milk - coconut milk that is
    I'm hearing that it will be well into next year before it gets sorted.

And then straight into the 'discussion' on the 13th payment for 2016:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

Why are glanbia behind lakelands and indeed the rest? Why can't our board return the same price to us? I'm fast becoming a very unhappy glanbia supplier and I'm surely not the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Why are glanbia behind lakelands and indeed the rest? Why can't our board return the same price to us? I'm fast becoming a very unhappy glanbia supplier and I'm surely not the only one.

Were you at the CoOp vote in May?
    2500 + co op shareholders
    Siobhán mixing freely in the crowd without a stab vest
    No complaints at all on poor milk price
    No rows
    All happy clappy

Were you at the CoOp vote in May?
    2500 + co op shareholders
    Siobhán mixing freely in the crowd without a stab vest
    No complaints at all on poor milk price
    No rows
    All happy clappy
    Must be because I wasn't there.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

oxjkqg wrote: »
    Of course Kerry Coop will be along shortly to pay the 13th payment for the last 3 years to get them up the top of the milk league for the leading price paid for milk - coconut milk that is
    I'm hearing that it will be well into next year before it gets sorted.

And then straight into the 'discussion' on the 13th payment for 2016:rolleyes:

What is the story with Kerry? I get the part that Denis Brosnan is sadly missed and things haven't been as good for you lately. But am I right in saying there are still individual farmers in Kerry who are still sitting on literary millions of euros worth of shares as a result of supplying milk in the past?

I personally know one very small farmer who had 200k worth sitting in a drawer. Most other farmers couldn't dream of getting such a wind fall.
    But I also totally get that Kerry can no longer live on the laurels of the past.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Must be because I wasn't there.....

You’d have got the microphone and asked for a show of hands as to how many thought Glanbia paid the worst price in Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

There was only one boards poster who gave a cautious statement about Glanbia that day (and I won't name them) and asked that the focus continue to be on milk price and rightly so got an applause for it.

There's too many hurlers on the ditch here hiding behind keyboards when at crucial moments are no where to be seen.

Floki wrote: »
    There was only one boards poster who gave a cautious statement about Glanbia that day (and I won't name them) and asked that the focus continue to be on milk price and rightly so got an applause for it.

There's too many hurlers on the ditch here hiding behind keyboards when at crucial moments are no where to be seen.

Are you happy with the September price or will you just sit back and take what you're given?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭alps

25k tonnes of ration is all is budgeted for the glanbia scheme, at say 75 tonnes average per farmer, that just over 300 farmers....yet you must commit to buy all of your feed from them.....

Some farmers will be accepted in for 100percent of their requirements, some won't be accepted at all...

How is this decided, and does this fit squarely with any kind of a co-op or fairness ethos?

• Advertisement

Are you happy with the September price or will you just sit back and take what you're given?

What are you doing about it?

What does b**ching and moaning here accomplish?

NOTHING!

I'm delighted with the milk price as it happens.

Have been on to glanbia a good bit recently. The money we were promised for uht milk isnt coming. Also they read here so they are perfectly aware of farmer feelings. Local glanbia meetings are normally held at a time to ensure minimal attendance. Look there are farmers ,we call them yes men, who think glanbia are the bees knees. From reading here there might be two of ye on boards. We are all entitled to our own opinion you dont have to agree with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

NOTHING!

I don't agree, Floki.

It's good to talk. Following on from the talk about depression on other threads a day or two ago, it can be helpful if farmers don't feel isolated and feel someone else feels the same about an issue. It's way better to put something down online that bottling it up when under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭jaymla627

They still have a heap of product in storage from last year that they bankrolled with the share exchange money, with skim powder worthless and wmp not much better I reckon they have dug a hole for themselves, why they didn't offload it into intervention given they where paying low 20's for most of 16 is mind boggling....
    They probably reckoned they would make a killing when demand improved but this hasn't happened

There's a great whitewash of responsibility going on here.
    Glanbia vote going on "oh if i was there I would have said this".
    "Can't get to the regional meetings because it doesn't suit me.":rolleyes:

You'd have to call it as it is and that's hurling on the ditch.

I don't agree, Floki.

It's good to talk. Following on from the talk about depression on other threads a day or two ago, it can be helpful if farmers don't feel isolated and feel someone else feels the same about an issue. It's way better to put something down online that bottling it up when under pressure.

Milk price has never been as good and there's still complaining.
    Oh I'm out of this discussion Buford.

There might be problems but I don't think milk price is one of them.

You dont give up do you. I was on holidays when the vote was on. Booked before the vote was announced. Holding meetings at 11 am in early april is a bit ****.tomorrow is the first night this week with no training etc. My kids will come before a glanbia meeting any day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I was their put my hand up to speak at the start was told would be got to, but was ignored all speakers from the crowd where basically choir boys all signing of the same hymn sheet

That’s not quite true
    The poster in question spoke lovingly of Glanbia for 90% of his speech and then mumbled one line at the end of a sentence saying ‘and we’d like to pay ourselves aswell’
    That’s all he said
    I was there and said nothing but I wasn’t clappy happy and you can be pretty sure at every juncture outside of here I’m making my opinions known to Glanbia
    They just don’t listen

The problem is the co op board members on the pic have a fiduciary duty to the pic that trumps duties to the farmer on price
    That should and must end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

You dont give up do you. I was on holidays when the vote was on. Booked before the vote was announced. Holding meetings at 11 am in early april is a bit ****.tomorrow is the first night this week with no training etc. My kids will come before a glanbia meeting any day

And the people that do take time out to go to meetings get s..t pegged at them by those that can't be bothered.
    Same as beef price, there is no reprisals so as long as supply keeps up, things will carry on as before.....sure you can always blame IFA,..... It all sounds so pathetic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

NOTHING!

+1.

I'm delighted with milk price also. Let's face it we're creaming it atm...talk to any other farmer (non dairy) and you'll quickly find out by how much we're creaming it!

Now, what's more important in the near future is what big Phil does with circa 400k tons of milk powder...I suppose it could be used to cut all that coke we'll be sticking up our schnoz!!

After all it's circa three quarters of a billion worth...or, 6-7million tons of feed grains in storage etc etc. Market distorting kinda volumes.

rangler1 wrote: »
    And the people that do take time out to go to meetings get s..t pegged at them by those that can't be bothered.
    Same as beef price, there is no reprisals so as long as supply keeps up, things will carry on as before.....sure you can always blame IFA,..... It all sounds so pathetic

Times change. When I was young my dad was away at meetings most days/ nights. He had 2full time employees on the farm including the work he did when he was here. We never saw him. We have been around this merry go round before rangler.

+1.

I'm delighted with milk price also. Let's face it we're creaming it atm...talk to any other farmer

Vous êtes hilarious ...

For the record a processor lagging a cent or 2 behind other processors when it wouldn’t kill them is just as wrong at 35 c as it is at 19c
    PERIOD
    Dairy farmers have enough volatility without those with the power legally robbing them of resources they could use when price is low

That’s not quite true
    The poster in question spoke lovingly of Glanbia for 90% of his speech and then mumbled one line at the end of a sentence saying ‘and we’d like to pay ourselves aswell’
    That’s all he said
    That's bull**it and you know it and it's defamatory at best.

Takes balls to speak and ears to listen.

Thought you were done with this thread ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

For the record a processor lagging a cent or 2 behind other processors when it wouldn’t kill them is just as wrong at 35 c as it is at 19c
    PERIOD
    Dairy farmers have enough volatility without those with the power legally robbing them of resources they could use when price is low

True. Very true.

Dairy farmers are only beginning to get a tiny grasp of the true meaning of volatility...big Phil won't (and shouldn't!) always be riding to the rescue...

Rubbish

I don't like to see the hurlers on the ditch lie about and trash someone's character .

It's called decency and standing up to the bullies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

ah dwag dont you no at this stage the eu is a project, like any it will have losses in places and some overspending....can you tell me how much the eu project has costed to date no one in the eu could....you cant put a price on it:)

france and germany doing ok out of it so far im sure they'll find a home for yere skim somewhere might be in our dairy feed:) i do think well off load most of ours ourselves and quite happy with milk price considering half our product is going into skim, cant understand how they come up with price really must be some serious algorithm

coop meetings could take a leap into the 21st century and go digital and stream meeting to all farmers/members, funny thinking back to meetings no one told me you had to address the board before speaking felt a little award when everyone else spoke: yes mr chairman sir

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Kinda reinforces my last comment to you, many times you've said that IFA now is different than twenty years ago.
    Well I put it to you now that farmers weren't as prepared to lie down and be screwed twenty years ago as they are now.
    Unfortunately part of my income from now on will depend on milk price and farmers avoiding challenging serious issues because the cat at home is having kittens doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.
    Have to say I wouldn't represent farmers now for less than a TDs salary, glad to be out of it

Advertisement