Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

rangler1 wrote: »
    Kinda reinforces my last comment to you, many times you've said that IFA now is different than twenty years ago.
    Well I put it to you now that farmers weren't as prepared to lie down and be screwed twenty years ago as they are now.
    Unfortunately part of my income from now on will depend on milk price and farmers avoiding challenging serious issues because the cat at home is having kittens doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.
    Have to say I wouldn't represent farmers now for less than a TDs salary, glad to be out of it

Those who do stand up to be counted should get support or debate them if you feel they're wrong. Sitting behind a screen or phone won't change 1 thing.

We need more to get involved and stop making excuses, put up or shut up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,737 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Those who do stand up to be counted should get support or debate them if you feel they're wrong. Sitting behind a screen or phone won't change 1 thing.

We need more to get involved and stop making excuses, put up or shut up!!

Im not looking for a row but why are we so far behind the other processors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Kinda reinforces my last comment to you, many times you've said that IFA now is different than twenty years ago.
    Well I put it to you now that farmers weren't as prepared to lie down and be screwed twenty years ago as they are now.

Some of that is down to age profile
    The older people get,the less fond they get of change and a lot of the farmers at the May Glanbia meeting would have been around in the 60’s spilling churns of milk during the milk strike
    In farming,the name on the cheque book or the milk docket is still mostly north of 55

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

whelan2 wrote: »
    You dont give up do you. I was on holidays when the vote was on. Booked before the vote was announced. Holding meetings at 11 am in early april is a bit ****.tomorrow is the first night this week with no training etc. My kids will come before a glanbia meeting any day

Fully agree Whelan ,holding meetings at times of year and day is a bit much ,much easier if a farmer has employed Labour on farm to take guts of a day off at busy time than a traditional 1 man /woman show

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Fully agree Whelan ,holding meetings at times of year and day is a bit much ,much easier if a farmer has employed Labour on farm to take guts of a day off at busy time than a traditional 1 man /woman show

Meetings were at various venues and both night and day. Ever meet your bank manager on business at 8pm?

• Advertisement

The older people get,the less fond they get of change and a lot of the farmers at the May Glanbia meeting would have been around in the 60’s spilling churns of milk during the milk strike
    In farming,the name on the cheque book or the milk docket is still mostly north of 55

A very good point and worse shares are held by parents no longer running their farm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The average age of an Irish dairy farmer is 58. In 5 years they expect it will be 60 years old.

Meetings were at various venues and both night and day. Ever meet your bank manager on business at 8pm?

Fair enough didn’t know that ,wouldn’t meet bank manager at 8 pm nor would I arrange a meeting with him at busy time of year or time that wouldn’t suit me ,one man show with young family and parents that need a bit of my time

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

whelan2 wrote: »
    I am so happy I didnt sign up to another 5 years of this crap

when and where are you moving whelan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

Hi folks, we have had enough trouble before on this thread, we don't want any more.

Stick to debating the points raised and stop insulting other posters.

The same rules apply equally to us all.

Buford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Sillycave

Friday the 13th it seems on this thread, must be a full moon tonight as well 😄 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭alps

A very good point and worse shares are held by parents no longer running their farm.

There was a huge opportunity for the industry at the removal of quotas, to link production or production rights to farmers existing or future investment in their processor.

Unfortunately, the push was towards linking it to shares, instead of some kind of bond system.

Shares are non agricultural assets, and will or cannot transfer with agricultural relief to the next generation. This is why the previous generation continue to own them, and there is no tax effecuenr way to either buy them or transfer them...hence the ownership of the processing capacity of the milk of the current generation will largely lie in the hands of the previous generation

when and where are you moving whelan :)

I think they said,they most likely wouldn’t but are keeping options open
    AIui from January at any time notice to leave can be given
    That would not be possible if contracted to meal or a milk price for a further 5 years separate to the milk supply agreement
    That’s what I took whelan to mean anyway

Lakeland up 1c to 36.5c inc vat according to the journal
    That’s 34.6c plus the 5.4% flat vat rebate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭alps

But they are not competitors.......there are no competitors

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

alps wrote: »

But they are not competitors.......there are no competitors

Good question? In theory your 100% correct. But boy do they get upset if a supplier jumps ship. So based on that, there is more than a bit of competition alright and the fear of losing suppliers is about the only thing we have left to keep them on their toes.

Mods, can this IFA chat be removed to its proper place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mods, can this IFA chat be removed to its proper place
    Mod Note: I've removed most of the IFA posts for the time being until we decide what to do with them.

I'm reminding everybody posting on this thread that it is the MILK PRICE thread. A certain leeway will be allowed but we will delete any further posts that are off topic.

If anyone wishes to debate the IFA, please start a thread on the subject, this thread is NOT the place for that debate. Unless it has a bearing on milk price, it will be deleted.

Thanking you in advance,

Buford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Mod Note: I've removed most of the IFA posts for the time being until we decide what to do with them.

I'm reminding everybody posting on this thread that it is the MILK PRICE thread. A certain leeway will be allowed but we will delete any further posts that are off topic.

If anyone wishes to debate the IFA, please start a thread on the subject, this thread is NOT the place for that debate. Unless it has a bearing on milk price, it will be deleted.

Thanking you in advance,

Buford.

I'd like to see the reference to IFA in my last post , from memory it was an objection to using EU funds to support milk price and no other sector.
    Another one for the useless competition authority I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

ah dwag dont you no at this stage the eu is a project, like any it will have losses in places and some overspending....can you tell me how much the eu project has costed to date no one in the eu could....you cant put a price on it:)

france and germany doing ok out of it so far im sure they'll find a home for yere skim somewhere might be in our dairy feed:) i do think well off load most of ours ourselves and quite happy with milk price considering half our product is going into skim, cant understand how they come up with price really must be some serious algorithm

coop meetings could take a leap into the 21st century and go digital and stream meeting to all farmers/members, funny thinking back to meetings no one told me you had to address the board before speaking felt a little award when everyone else spoke: yes mr chairman sir

+1.
    Can't disagree with anything in your post....but I'd like to comment that your first paragraph is almost Faragesque.

Paragraph 2 just says "not us!!..it's the French and Germans!!"...
    Doesn't matter one jot who filled the stores with product that nobody wants, it matters that we (dairy farmers) are so feckin special that it's expected that the Eu runs to the rescue. Downright financially and morally wrong to chose one farm type over another...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

This passed the other day just as I'd finished spraying premerge...

Milk price thread keeps this afloat??

:):)

+1.
    Can't disagree with anything in your post....but I'd like to comment that your first paragraph is almost Faragesque.

Paragraph 2 just says "not us!!..it's the French and Germans!!"...
    Doesn't matter one jot who filled the stores with product that nobody wants, it matters that we (dairy farmers) are so feckin special that it's expected that the Eu runs to the rescue. Downright financially and morally wrong to chose one farm type over another...

Pity i can't like it more than once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

A very good point and worse shares are held by paretnts no longer running their farm.

And a return on a lifetimes investment ,in their co-op ,can only come about after the voting in of a proposal they are less concerned about .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭mf240

I'd like to see the reference to IFA in my last post , from memory it was an objection to using EU funds to support milk price and no other sector.
    Another one for the useless competition authority I suppose

Would you not be better off in the sheep forum.

Your only upsetting yourself in here.

mf240 wrote: »
    Would you not be better off in the sheep forum.

Your only upsetting yourself in here.

Take more than that to upset me, it's only a discussion forum,ffs does anyone take it serious, You wouldn't believe the way people try to drag it off Milk Price would ya..
    Whats Lakelands price now. :D

Reported your post BTW

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Take more than that to upset me, it's only a discussion forum,ffs does anyone take it serious,

That's the spirit! Good man!

Now if everyone adjourns to the Weather Forum there's lots of excitement there.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

any word on kerry's milk price

Arrabawn up 1 cent ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Arrabawn up 1 cent ......

What is arrabawns base now?

Advertisement