Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I'm against fixed schemes, but I'd sign for that..

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

mahoney_j wrote: »
    18 months and 10% of your supply ,I’d lump 90% of milk in at ,small coops really showing up glanbia now ....,sorry couldn’t resist

Only got text yesterday about it more details coming in the post and regional meeting at end of month.

Its a good price but to a max of 10% of 2016 supply so it will have a limited impact on lads expanding rapidly.
    In fairness we seem to be getting a very good price this year relative to others.
    will sign up for the 10% but i dont think you can take it as a reflection of the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That fixed price is good and a game changer. Fair play. Might be worth noting that, Aaron Forde is Chairman of Ornua.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,734 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What is the lakelands fixed price that was announced?

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »

That article is very confusing with cpl and ppl.

ATM 27p is 30.25c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭einn32

MG turned in to a pure car crash. Bad business decisions left a lot of farmers burnt and jumping ship. Fonterra benefitted anyway! Bega would be the opposite on how a processor should be ran.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

einn32 wrote: »

MG turned in to a pure car crash. Bad business decisions left a lot of farmers burnt and jumping ship. Fonterra benefitted anyway! Bega would be the opposite on how a processor should be ran.

Could we have an MG here? Would much prefer to be brought out by the Canadians at least. Was a lot of excitement in some quarters not so long ago about the prospect of an Irish Co Op being purchased by the Chinese!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭alps

The expression to beware of from the "experts" is "The fundamentals long term are good"....thats when you know the chyt has hit the fan...

Until then and while they talk the price down.... we're on good ground..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭einn32

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    Could we have an MG here? Would much prefer to be brought out by the Canadians at least. Was a lot of excitement in some quarters not so long ago about the prospect of an Irish Co Op being purchased by the Chinese!

Doubt it but possible. The EU steps in still when products aren't moving. Where is the competition between processors here for more suppliers. Farmers tend to stay put in Ireland. The big processors all follow each other in price anyway. MG took a massive gamble and had no customers to sell extra product to.

Although we have had some terrible decision-making by certain Irish processors and they still survived.

einn32 wrote: »
    Farmer Ed wrote: »

Doubt it but possible. The EU steps in still when products aren't moving. Where is the competition between processors here for more suppliers. Farmers tend to stay put in Ireland. The big processors all follow each other in price anyway. MG took a massive gamble and had no customers to sell extra product to.

Although we have had some terrible decision-making by certain Irish processors and they still survived.

Survived yes but the idea of "the China man with a cheque book" (excuse the racist remark) was one that was touted by a co op chairman. God help us all if his vision for the co op was to be realized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭visatorro

Interesting article in the economist about a shortage of French butter in France. The artisan bakers won't use anything else but the creamerys won't pay for it. So no butter for croissants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/07/nutella-fans-go-nuts-changes-recipe-beloved-chocolate-spread/

no butter for the croissants and extra skim for nutella there could be hope for us yet

do they have to use french butter in croissants (region product) or can they use ours? we must be churning out a fair bit considering the amount of skim we are processing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Gdt down again today.3rd auction in a row.down 3.5% today.hard to know where milk price will be come may/June time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/07/nutella-fans-go-nuts-changes-recipe-beloved-chocolate-spread/

no butter for the croissants and extra skim for nutella there could be hope for us yet

do they have to use french butter in croissants (region product) or can they use ours? we must be churning out a fair bit considering the amount of skim we are processing

according to the article (must be true!) they only want french butter. maybe dawg might be able to clarify.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

That aurivo vfixed price includes 1.2 cent from their volitility fund im led to belive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭alps

K.G. wrote: »
    That aurivo vfixed price includes 1.2 cent from their volitility fund im led to belive.

Oof!!!!

You think????

Couldn't possibly for 3 years supply....???

Can't sleep now....who can clarify????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

visatorro wrote: »
    according to the article (must be true!) they only want french butter. maybe dawg might be able to clarify.

Every country I've ever spent some time in claims to have the best food in the world, and rightly so.
    It is unthinkable that a French croissant would be made with anything other than French butter, so there's a major standoff happening between the creameries and pâtisseries atm....
    French Coops, having a fairly large basket of products, are actively talking down the price of milk now. I'm expecting a 2cpl (or more) drop in the new year because butter is really the only performer atm.

Every country I've ever spent some time in claims to have the best food in the world, and rightly so.
    It is unthinkable that a French croissant would be made with anything other than French butter, so there's a major standoff happening between the creameries and pâtisseries atm....
    French Coops, having a fairly large basket of products, are actively talking down the price of milk now. I'm expecting a 2cpl (or more) drop in the new year because butter is really the only performer atm.

Sorry dawg but if butter is doing so well why drop in price?
    Also if one industry is holding back another one is there a chance of a third party / French government making a deal to ensure supply to bakers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

visatorro wrote: »
    Sorry dawg but if butter is doing so well why drop in price?
    Also if one industry is holding back another one is there a chance of a third party / French government making a deal to ensure supply to bakers?

Anyone with a mixed farm would explain that if say beef is doing well it doesn't necessarily mean that milk is also doing well, iykwim.
    There's a softening of prices pretty much across the board in dairy products except butter....I'd rather they kept producing a wide range of goods than focusing exclusively on one single product, namely butter.

Edit. It would be political suicide for any government to attempt price fixing in dairy. Remember that dairy farmers are the most militant bitchers and moaners on the planet!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

alps wrote: »
    Oof!!!!

You think????

Couldn't possibly for 3 years supply....???

Can't sleep now....who can clarify????

Its all the same but i think in this case aurivo are usi g the 10%fixed to tie in the 90% for 3years as they are at risk of losing suppliers on one front.as often said earlier its just playing around withhow its paid out but i still dont expect 34 cent fixed prices to be available but i hope im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

K.G. wrote: »
    Its all the same but i think in this case aurivo are usi g the 10%fixed to tie in the 90% for 3years as they are at risk of losing suppliers on one front.as often said earlier its just playing around withhow its paid out but i still dont expect 34 cent fixed prices to be available but i hope im wrong.

signed up here 10% of 2016 supply with possibility of more if under subscribed.scheme runs from 1st of jan 18 for 3 years. The pool of milk to be fixed isnt massive.
    Dont think there is an issue with losing suppliers, most lads seem happy enough, sems to be a stream of new entrants aswell. Thats just what i see locally myself.

So whats the story? Are we getting in to bed with Fonterra now our what seems to be the plan? http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/full-house-and-strong-irish-presence-at-inaugural-gdt-buyers-conference/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭mf240

Glanbia back on the bottom of the milk league in farmers journal. You get 30 euros a ton back on meal with Glanbia
    But you be the price of a few ton better of a month with anyone else.

mf240 wrote: »
    Glanbia back on the bottom of the milk league in farmers journal. You get 30 euros a ton back on meal with Glanbia
    But you be the price of a few ton better of a month with anyone else.

Might be a good idea if they forgot about paying for the milk altogether and just bartered feed for milk. Seems to be the direction their heading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭MollsGap

Kerry Group's new boss is offering 1.75 cent/litre to their milk suppliers for the 13th payment.
    This is a nice change of approach from the previous boss. Long overdue.

Any idea for October milk price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

whelan2 wrote: »
    Any idea for October milk price?

No change I'd venture. Lot of stock on hands, butter and cheese flying but has dropped of late. That drop seems to have been arrested to some degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

No change I'd venture. Lot of stock on hands, butter and cheese flying but has dropped of late. That drop seems to have been arrested to some degree.

Would u be worried about nxt years price?

Advertisement