Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Any update on the Kerry milk price saga, there was to be a meeting yesterday, was the 1.75 accepted, or will they hold out for more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Henwin wrote: »
    Any update on the Kerry milk price saga, there was to be a meeting yesterday, was the 1.75 accepted, or will they hold out for more?
    The offer was rejected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

yewtree wrote: »
    Milk statements came today. Top price in the coop was 57 c/litre, over 20 cent above base price. No idea who farmer is,just struck me as an amazing price

Ah comfort yourself that its probably a jersey herd on OAD doing shag all litres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Ah comfort yourself that its probably a jersey herd on OAD doing shag all litres.

I know of a pure je herd which got over’60’cent a liter for October milk ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

mahoney_j wrote: »

Phew!!
    Finally the 60cpl barrier is broken!

Jeez lads I head east for a few days and the price has escalated a little. Brag on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,734 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Any idea what the solids were?

Phew!!
    Finally the 60cpl barrier is broken!

Jeez lads I head east for a few days and the price has escalated a little. Brag on.

You should head away more often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

They supply the village dairy for their pure jersey milk product though so wonder are they getting a premium for that. Some set up though must try to get the discussion group to go there sometime

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

That's some price, dunnes is only 6.6 cents a litre better than that.:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Mj if it's the same twitter source, 6.51 bf 4.64 pr plus winter bonus (which would add something like 5 to 7c/l). And dwag, inclusive of vat. Finally afaik that herd is on a full tmr and fed likes of 2ton per lactation. 60c still very impressive, but need to be in context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I charge/get 66cpl for warm milk from milk lines, so no cooling expenses...

Does this kick me ahead of the bragging rights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

alps wrote: »
    If you've any interest in the business of milk outside of the farm gate, from processing to marketing , opportunities and pitfalls, give yourself a huge treat and make it to Punchestown tomorrow to hear Craig Bell, a New Zealander with phenomenal global experience and achievements, and how to hold value for the primary producer.....set up the dairy farm in Brazil that was featured recently in the farmers journal...frowing 40 tonnes DM/ha, processing and marketing direct with no middleman....

This guy is an absolute peach...will be on early in the day...

Not at the conference. Just watched it over the live stream.

Some achievement between himself and his partners.
    He's breath of fresh air compared to listening to some donkeys.

Floki wrote: »
    Not at the conference. Just watched it over the live stream.

Some achievement between himself and his partners.
    He's breath of fresh air compared to listening to some donkeys.

Is there a video of it anywhere?

Timmaay wrote: »
    Is there a video of it anywhere?

It was live streamed on YouTube by the IFJ. So maybe go into their channel and see if it's there?

Timmaay wrote: »
    Mj if it's the same twitter source, 6.51 bf 4.64 pr plus winter bonus (which would add something like 5 to 7c/l). And dwag, inclusive of vat. Finally afaik that herd is on a full tmr and fed likes of 2ton per lactation. 60c still very impressive, but need to be in context.

That’s the one ,cows in now but on grass large chunk of year

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

milk price this month was base including quailty bonus 0.5 plus winter bonus of 1 cent a litre . brings the base price to 36.94 . bf 5.21 prt 4.05 . got in total 49 .055 cent a litre

milk price this month was base including quailty bonus 0.5 plus winter bonus of 1 cent a litre . brings the base price to 36.94 . bf 5.21 prt 4.05 . got in total 49 .055 cent a litre

Savage going ,do strathroy have an option to fix a portion of milk ??

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

no fixed prices . plus levies are very low

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

no fixed prices . plus levies are very low

Makes that price more impressive as its not being subsidized by paying less for another pool of milk.

Bill o Keeffe's article in the journal is well worth a read for any Glanbia supplier

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

whelan2 wrote: »
    Bill o Keeffe's article in the journal is well worth a read for any Glanbia supplier

Ya Bill has really changed his tune from being a Glanbia choirboy to seeing the light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Glanbia make Dairygold look relatively good and that's saying something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Brent crude is at an all time recent high circa $60 for those who relate that to milk prices

Glanbia share price is heading downwards towards its yearly low in the 15’s again ... Unlike Kerry for those that like to sing Glanbia managements praises..,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Makes our skim stock look a bit small.

https://twitter.com/FJDairy/status/933655747405246464

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭alps

Makes our skim stock look a bit small.

https://twitter.com/FJDairy/status/933655747405246464

He was asked for 2 take home messages..

1 Stay grass focused, expand, stay onside with the environment.

2.. Follow the Blue Ocean......edge of Europe...700 million....no need to be in the Red Ocean..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭alps

Paul Finnerty also exceptional.....

The consumer will pay a premium for health..(grass based product ).. they will pay nothing for the environment..

"Huge damage has been done to the environment by the food industry in the last 50 years. We need to make a stronger argument. Our Origin Green argument is not even resonating with our citizen’s assembly.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Environmentally Ireland will be reigned in either through lower nitrates limit or sfp aims, I would also not like to see the landscape continue to be covered by pigtails and 100s of b/w cows on an acre. The amount of ditches that have been unnaturally depleted In the last 20yrs is shocking. I have conflicting views as a dairy farmer! One thing is council should have to get teir act together in tandem

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Environmentally Ireland will be reigned in either through lower nitrates limit or sfp aims, I would also not like to see the landscape continue to be covered by pigtails and 100s of b/w cows on an acre. The amount of ditches that have been unnaturally depleted In the last 20yrs is shocking. I have conflicting views as a dairy farmer! One thing is council should have to get teir act together in tandem
    Not arguing with you kev but did you not post one time that you bought marginal land next door to your own and you reclaimed and reseeded it?
    Just wondering if true would you make the same decision again (A) to buy and (B) to reclaim and reseed?

kevthegaff wrote: »

Funny enough it's the tillage farmers who I'd say are more guilty of this, trying to get 100ac fields etc! I've started planting trees and hedging around here, an easy low hanging fruit also is I tell the contractor doing the hedge cutting to cut around any strong native saplings, alongside this be careful about blanket spraying of ditches etc in the summer. Finally I've put up a decent bit more single strand electric fencing up around any weak ditches and drains, not only to keep stock in, but to stop them destroying ditches etc, especially in the winter/early spring.

It's all a thing I don't think us farmers who do try properly look after the land give ourselves enough credit for, we don't just farm, we look after the land for the next generation. If we continue to let farming be purely about the economics, with ever bigger factory farms taking over, then there will be no room for much sentiment towards the environment, instead as you said it will just be pigtails and cows on acres of monoculture grass, with accountants and shareholders driving the farm bottomline (and some idiot called the farmer who is just a glorified milker ha), while vegans etc protest at the farm gates lol.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

Research from UCDs smart grass project has shown a reduction in up to 90% in carbon emissions by using mixed species swards vs monoculture grass in sheep production. Also reduced the worm counts and lambs finished quicker.

So just ask yourself one question? Why is this research not getting the attention it deserves? Surely there is real potential here??

Oh and by the way it promises to greatly reduce fertilizer inputs while maintaining production.

So now take a look at who stands to lose? Certainly not the farmer or the environment! So why the milk reluctance??

Do vested interests control or research in this country? Who really controls it?

Advertisement