Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

Floki wrote: »
    Farmer Ed wrote: »
    Problem is seeing as we are only producing commodities by the look of it, there's a strong possibility or customers don't even care.

It's a good excuse though.....

Well I suppose the plan was to create more jobs in agricultural. Problem is it didn't specify that most of the jobs would be created in policing agricultural and not inside the farm gate. Truth be told if they were honest are we looking at 5 to 10k fulltime farmers and all the rest having to work off farm to keep the show on the road? Quite possibly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,732 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What do ye think for November milk price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

whelan2 wrote: »
    What do ye think for November milk price?

At a guess, back a cent? And then to paraphrase Mr Willy Wonka...down and down and down it goes where it will stop nobody knows!

http://althealthworks.com/4730/does-kerrygold-grass-fed-irish-butter-contain-gmos-and-should-you-put-it-in-your-coffee/

Don't know if this link can be opened but basically the important point is that the people who created the bullet proof diet and have been recommending kerrygold in the states have a petition going asking Ornua to go make Kerrygold 100% gm free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Quick look at gmo and non gmo soya prices just now.

Gmo soya = €298/t
    Non gmo soya = €389/t

Bigger price difference than I thought...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

http://althealthworks.com/4730/does-kerrygold-grass-fed-irish-butter-contain-gmos-and-should-you-put-it-in-your-coffee/

Don't know if this link can be opened but basically the important point is that the people who created the bullet proof diet and have been recommending kerrygold in the states have a petition going asking Ornua to go make Kerrygold 100% gm free.

I'd say 99% of them don't know why but it's just something they think they should sign or click.
    And the stupid thing is gm sourced ingredients make up something stupidly small in the cows diet. I was surprised though the first time I ever saw it on a docket.

Sometimes I wonder should I cross the fence for the easier life and join the farmer bashing group and leave my food up to someone else.

Gmo soya = €298/t
    Non gmo soya = €389/t

Quick calculation average farmer say feeding a ton of meal 20% soya would add €18.20 per cow. 6500 litres at a premium of 2c per litre is €130 per cow. Net profit from gm free vs gm €111.80 per cow.

Grow a lash of red clover silage and soya input could possibly be even reduced more. Just a thought? That's if they are actually serious about origin green and paying us a premium for it? But that's another argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Gmo soya = €298/t
    Non gmo soya = €389/t

Is that GMO in Chicago? Would it be an extra 50 to get it to Europe?

Floki wrote: »

I'd say 99% of them don't know why but it's just something they think they should sign or click.
    And the stupid thing is gm sourced ingredients make up something stupidly small in the cows diet. I was surprised though the first time I ever saw it on a docket.

Sometimes I wonder should I cross the fence for the easier life and join the farmer bashing group and leave my food up to someone else.

Actually they are the group credited with getting people back using grass fed butter in the States. So while we might not like what they are saying now they have up until now been our sales team in the States. Kerrygold butter sold of the shelves there at one point based on these peoples advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    At a guess, back a cent? And then to paraphrase Mr Willy Wonka...down and down and down it goes where it will stop nobody knows!

24/25 cent this time next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭mf240

When Mary or Joe soap goes into Tescos or aldi for a drum of Bainne are they really going to wonder if the cows had some gmo soya along with the grass. They are in their hole.

mf240 wrote: »
    When Mary or Joe soap goes into Tescos or aldi for a drum of Bainne are they really going to wonder if the cows had some gmo soya along with the grass. They are in their hole.

Then Mary and Joe soap can buy the milk or butter that is made with the milk from the farmer who got paid 2c a litre less for it and more luck to them. But Leo, Theresa and Arlene can pay top dollar for the Kerrygold brand.

The Germans have it as an option, the British have it as an option. Just right now Kerrygold can not supply that market and we are sadly mistaken if we think our competitors wont make hay while we just look on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If I can put a litre of milk on the shelf at 5c dearer and stick a big sign saying its GMO Free on it, it will sell.
    Remember just for a brand, people are paying up to 50c extra and that's milk coming from the same cow. 50c for a brand, that means nothing.

Differentiation in the marketplace is what makes profit. Usually base commodity price, has little margin. As long as this is done, in partnership and the primary producer isn't skinned, a la Wehlan and UHT. The An Bord Bia Certification has gone down the same route, skinning the farmer. That's why farmers are rightly cynical about these moves, at present.
    Any systems that lift the product above being a base international product, should have a return aspect, to the farmer. We haven't seen that.

Water John wrote: »
    If I can put a litre of milk on the shelf at 5c dearer and stick a big sign saying its GMO Free on it, it will sell.
    Remember just for a brand, people are paying up to 50c extra and that's milk coming from the same cow. 50c for a brand, that means nothing.

Differentiation in the marketplace is what makes profit. Usually base commodity price, has little margin. As long as this is done, in partnership and the primary producer isn't skinned, a la Wehlan and UHT. The An Bord Bia Certification has gone down the same route, skinning the farmer. That's why farmers are rightly cynical about these moves, at present.
    Any systems that lift the product above being a base international product, should have a return aspect, to the farmer. We haven't seen that.

Agreed. The only problem I'd have with the UK and German processes is that based on the extra margin their making on that milk they possibly should be passing back a lot more than 2c to their farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Is that GMO in Chicago? Would it be an extra 50 to get it to Europe?

Local merchant prices.
    30 ton load tipped.

Glanbia stay at 35cpl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I was wondering where to post this and thought here might be a good spot, 12 things farmers need to know about the world.

https://www.agriculture.com/farm-management/business-planning/12-things-farmers-need-to-know-about-the-world

Some interesting observations about where increased production will come from in the future and problems faced by Brazil.

I was wondering where to post this and thought here might be a good spot, 12 things farmers need to know about the world.

https://www.agriculture.com/farm-management/business-planning/12-things-farmers-need-to-know-about-the-world

Some interesting observations about where increased production will come from in the future and problems faced by Brazil.

Ah I wouldn't take him too seriously. Was almost buying in to it until I got to this part.
    " American trade policy since World War II made international maritime shipping both safe and cheap. Remove American strategic overwatch and that transport reverts to being expensive and dangerous. As most countries are dependent upon international supply chains for inputs like fertilizers and pesticides and cannot produce these inputs locally, we’re looking at nothing less than the breakdown of the global agricultural system."

Yea he is dead right the American political system is broken and IMO its an arrogant attitude like that has a lot to do with the problem. America making the world a safer place attitude? In all fairness? Probably WWN gives us more reason to be optimistic for the good old USA. http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2017/12/13/american-voters-surprise-world-by-not-voting-for-alleged-paedophile/

Off topic but I wont tell the mods if you dont!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

He lost me when suggested nz could treble milk production by adopting american practices.not a clue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yeah, there is a huge American bias there but it's interesting to see a different viewpoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Id say he could be underestimating Russia as well

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Kevin Lane leaving ornua ,bit of a surprise.seems have done a good job re structuring it and the move into butter was well timed

K.G. wrote: »
    Kevin Lane leaving ornua ,bit of a surprise.seems have done a good job re structuring it and the move into butter was well timed

What ever about the job he did one of the advantages of earning big bucks is that you can retire early and not have to worry about money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭alps

What ever about the job he did one of the advantages of earning big bucks is that you can retire early and not have to worry about money.

Or maybe, just maybe, bigger bucks are availabke elsewhere.....

I wonder also about job satisfaction when your board members are selling against you in the international market....

alps wrote: »

Or maybe, just maybe, bigger bucks are availabke elsewhere.....

I wonder also about job satisfaction when your board members are selling against you in the international market....

Actually what he is reported as saying in the media is he wants to spend more time with his young family an pursue other interests. Could be wrong but that sounds like semiretirement to me.

I'm guessing there comes a point when there is only so much money one needs. Actually there is also plenty of research to back that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

its becoming common enough in companies now ceo reaches a milestone/achievement and want to leave with that on his cv (stan done it in kerry and maloney done it in glanbia)

im sure hell end up on many of our various kango boards into the future

Any idea when we can expect to see the glanbia revolving share fund money to be paid out following the meeting yesterday?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

whelan2 wrote: »
    Any idea when we can expect to see the glanbia revolving share fund money to be paid out following the meeting yesterday?

I thought only c5 shares were being given out and not cheques?

Advertisement