Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

ArKl0w wrote: »
    How does Icbf calculate it?
    Do they have access to your milk payment each month?

They get figures from the dept of agriculture on volumes that are officially sold thru regulated channels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

stanflt wrote: »
    They get figures from the dept of agriculture on volumes that are officially sold thru regulated channels

I'd still be interested in how it's calculated ,base milk price for most in the spring/summer months was surely no more than 25c ,how would supply at the front end at a lower price and smaller volumes at the back end rise that to 30c,especially when only half or less of the country's milk is fixed?

I'd suggest it's flawed because,OK individual farms have got their average up near 30,thanks to solids BUT and it's a crucial but,they the farmers,did this and would be doing this anyway
    There's a danger processor's will illegitimately take credit for that in order to take the focus off of their price suppressing during the year

Notwithstanding the fact that work on solids ABSOLUTELY does not leave price suppressing processors off the hook,Are there any breakdowns nationally from the figures? Difficult to ascertain,I know because every farmer gets paid a different price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

I'd still be interested in how it's calculated ,base milk price for most in the spring/summer months was surely no more than 25c ,how would supply at the front end at a lower price and smaller volumes at the back end rise that to 30c,especially when only half or less of the country's milk is fixed?

I'd suggest it's flawed because,OK individual farms have got their average up near 30,thanks to solids BUT and it's a crucial but,they the farmers,did this and would be doing this anyway
    There's a danger processor's will illegitimately take credit for that in order to take the focus off of their price suppressing during the year

Notwithstanding the fact that work on solids ABSOLUTELY does not leave price suppressing processors off the hook,Are there any breakdowns nationally from the figures? Difficult to ascertain,I know because every farmer gets paid a different price

This figure is a farmer based figure from ICBF not an industry figure

Co ops should be obliged to be ranked on base price per year rather than price paid to farmer due to solid bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

whelan2 wrote: »
    I am using the icbf dairy herd performance report which gives up until the end of september, will then use oct/nov /dec net milk price off glanbia connect. I think thats right

I usually go directly off the statements, I put it into the cost control planner which I use to generate the PM anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

What's the storey on the baileys bonus been used up already? Ours is too according to milk manager

they dont want milk supplies during December, (holidays and machine down time, confusing i know considering the xmas market would be a critical time in the products life), the balies contract is split into before and after xmas, they pay full bonus until litres used so majority of us have this well used by december as supply contract is very small and doesnt increase over time, balies sales have been stagnant for a few years, same applies after xmas.

Dec protein 3.9 bf 4.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

leg wax wrote: »
    how are you guys working out the average price for the year cant see it anywhere.
    :confused:

Total milk sales value divided by total litres supplied in my case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Received 33.29 including vat for Dec. 3.45p 4.19bf not including bonus. Bonus paid with Feb cheque. Edit 33.11 after levies. No fixed price milk for dec and Jan which is a balls for me as I would of had a bit of volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

44.6 after deductions 5.55% fat 4.14 protein%. Cows were on once a day at that stage and milked up to 22nd December, so big cent/litre, not a massive cheque, but every little helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

How does the milk reduction scheme work when does that get paid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Start of April, iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Form came here during the week. Has to be returned to co-op by Feb 3 I think

Form came here during the week. Has to be returned to co-op by Feb 3 I think

A form for to get payment for oct-Dec or a form for Jan to march?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

A form for to get payment for oct-Dec or a form for Jan to march?

Oct-Dec. Form to say what was applied for and what the actual reduction was. Co-op had it all filled in, I just had to check figures and sign.

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmingsectors/dairy/voluntarysupplymanagementschemeforthedairysector/paymentsprocessphase1/

Oct-Dec. Form to say what was applied for and what the actual reduction was. Co-op had it all filled in, I just had to check figures and sign.

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmingsectors/dairy/voluntarysupplymanagementschemeforthedairysector/paymentsprocessphase1/

Jeesus,talk about an unnecessary duplication of paperwork!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

I see in the journal somewhere that glanbias new plant will be at capacity in the next 18 months .

27.75 here for the year. Milk sales value dropped by €400 approx for the year. Very small amount fixed. Looking at icbf and co-op statements to year end we delivered 500kg ms/cow (502kg seems to be exact figure). 75% of the herd 1st/2nd calvers. Hopefully will be up another 15% on numbers this year. If we could squeeze another 20kg ms we'd be doubling '14/'15 output. Probably happened by accident but also managed to cut costs overall last year so serious reduction in cost per litre. I'll have a fuller breakdown by the weekend.

The best I have now is 41.25c gross income incl sfp. 23.75c for all costs incl a bit of casual labour. Not incl family labour or finance costs. I think income is inflated a bit by 2015 culls being sold in 2016 with very little carryover of culls this year. No room for housing them being the main reason they were gone earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

In the profit monitor what do you include in levies, is it the levies on the milk cheque?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Get paid in April

• Advertisement

I've moved the Dairygold chat to it's own thread as it deserves to have it's own and has little to do with milk price. Link to the new thread below.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057697752

BTJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

mf240 wrote: »
    I see in the journal somewhere that glanbias new plant will be at capacity in the next 18 months .

It will be at capacity for may/june if the weather plays ball at all, the renewal of the kerry patnership and their close ties with lakeland mean the world of milk from glanbia plants will go through these channels, lakelands new dryer will be taking alot of glanbia milk at peak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

They also have DG in Mitchelstown and Mallow. Plenty options without rushing out to build more plant.
    Last round of this both Glanbia and DG suppliers paid for it through lower milk prices when those were tanking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

FrieslandCampina have just announced an increase in milk price to 33.83 excluding vat (irish constituents). This is a staggering performance, when one realises that this is just the minimum guaranteed price and that there will be a top up payment at the end of the year equaling 35% of the company's profits. On top of this a further 10% of coop profits will be added to the farmers interest bearing bond a a pension type payment.

The company structure is fantastic...simple in its design, and focused on returning the maximum to the litre of milk, as in the words of their Chairman, Frans Keurentjes, it was the litre of milk put the profit there in the first place.

I had the pleasure of attending a meeting a week ago , where he gave the detailed presentation of the company structure.

Quiet simply, the company handles all product from farm to the shop shelf ( with of course some B to B) but takes every product as far up the chain as possible. It pays a guaranteed minimum price monthly, which is based on the average milk price in Northern mainland Europe.

The company's profits are then split at year end, 55% retained by the coop, and 45% to the suppliers on a per litre supplied basis. 35% is payed out as a 13th payment, last year equating to over 30,000 per supplier and 10% is paid tax free into the farmers interest bearing bond fund, which is there for his retirement from farming.

Pure class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭OverRide

Meanwhile I hear Strathroy are planning a processing facility in the Republic
    I have no other details yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

OverRide wrote: »

That's great news.

• Advertisement

That's only in case of a hard Brexit, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Any Dairygold suppliers going to sign up to new fixed scheme? 30.75 c including vat for 2017,18,19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Any Dairygold suppliers going to sign up to new fixed scheme? 30.75 c including vat for 2017,18,19

Hadn't heard of it yet. Depends on details percentages etc. Current scheme wasnt paid in Dec or Jan which for those of us that milk year round was less advantageous. Seems a bit long for that figure

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

thats only in the worst case . but as rory cunnigham said at meeting awhile back they could not keep the border closed at the height of the troubles and they wont be able to that now . i say they are flying a kite to put the fear of god in to some coops in the south

I suspect keeping all options open as long as possible.
    Always a good business strategy, run a few models until decision day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

Hear that the milk tanks in a new Cork milk drying facility are leaking badly and the leaking milk has been drawn away and land spread last year.. Anyway tanks have been surveyed and found not to be repairable because made from the wrong grade of stainless steel. Company who made the tanks have gone out of business so advice is they have to be replaced and the farmer will have to pay for new tanks or risk drawing the spillage away by slurry tank again for the coming year. Just as long as the epa don't find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Milk in low twenties a few months ago and you ask if we will take a guaranteed base price above 30cent? A no brainier if you ask me. Only negative is its only a max 10% that can be fixed. Prospects for milk are only looking good for first 6-8 months of this year... Lots of uncertainty again after that. Then again I have repayments to make.. If you were debt free you could throw the dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

I don't know really. Anybody know the average base price over the last 3 year period??
    I know Jim Wolfe made reference to it at area meetings. If I recall he mentioned a 3 year avg of 31. Not sure if this was co-op avg or base avg however.

I think he said base avg of 31 cent over 7 years. That is, prior to the last plummet.
    All should go much better now, with Dairygold named business of the year by Cork Chamber of Commerce!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Anyone opinions on the arrabawn fixed contract ???,30.6 cent vat inc vat standard solids for 3 years from March 1 .initally option is to fix 10% of 2016 supply with option to fix more depending on uptake .price seems on a par with what others are offering .personally would of liked at 31 or over but over 3 years probably about right .no brainer for me so I'm fixing 10% and will go with option of fixing a further 10%

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Anyone opinions on the arrabawn fixed contract ???,30.6 cent vat inc vat standard solids for 3 years from March 1 .initally option is to fix 10% of 2016 supply with option to fix more depending on uptake .price seems on a par with what others are offering .personally would of liked at 31 or over but over 3 years probably about right .no brainer for me so I'm fixing 10% and will go with option of fixing a further 10%
    Will that increase with higher solids and are standard bonuses included, J?

mahoney_j wrote:

I'm of mixed opinion. I recon this year prices will rise next year they'll hold and the 3rd year they might drop. I don't like doing deals when prices are low. The last fixed was a no brainer. This one I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

mahoney_j wrote:

I won't I'd say

Yes for both I think but waiting for confirmation

I'm of mixed opinion. I recon this year prices will rise next year they'll hold and the 3rd year they might drop. I don't like doing deals when prices are low. The last fixed was a no brainer. This one I'm not so sure.

So over next 3 years where do u see milk price averaging out ??,whole thing very volatile ,this year should be very good but after that who knows ,for sure there will be ups and downs ,fixed scheme provides insulation

• Advertisement

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I won't I'd say

Price /quantity to fix not to your liking Kev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

mahoney_j wrote:
    Price /quantity to fix not to your liking Kev

This year is looking good as u say. After knocking fixed price schemes, I better keep to my principles for the time being;-)

This year is looking good as u say. After knocking fixed price schemes, I better keep to my principles for the time being;-)

I've knocked them as much as anyone but that scheme you know what you're signing up for in term of volume. You aren't applying for 30 hoping to get 10 and worrying that you could end up committing more than you want. It has that much going for it at least.

mahoney_j wrote:
    So over next 3 years where do u see milk price averaging out ??,whole thing very volatile ,this year should be very good but after that who knows ,for sure there will be ups and downs ,fixed scheme provides insulation

I agree I once did a project in college about what happens to the property market after a collapse and how long it takes to recover. Turned out it was 9 years which looks like it might come true. On this I thought with the quota we were in 6 year cycles but without it I was halving it to 3. It really depends on oil prices. I think oil prices will rise for the next 3 years so I think price will be stable with a few dips depending on over supply. The question what price do you think will be the average over the next 3 years.... I don't know. I'm 50/50 to sign up. At 30c now I can make money but what happens if feed and fert prices go up.

Just confirmed if sokids over 3.6/3.3 it's 30.6 plus solids .additional bonus for quality ,scc etc are included but if u don't meet them it comes off fixed price

Just confirmed if sokids over 3.6/3.3 it's 30.6 plus solids .additional bonus for quality ,scc etc are included but if u don't meet them it comes off fixed price
    It's not looking a bad price so, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

thought about it & decided we're not going for it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Principles can be very expensive, you should always be prepared to change them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

kowtow wrote: »
    Principles can be very expensive, you should always be prepared to change them!

Coops and meat factories are very principled....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Sillycave

I agree I once did a project in college about what happens to the property market after a collapse and how long it takes to recover. Turned out it was 9 years which looks like it might come true. On this I thought with the quota we were in 6 year cycles but without it I was halving it to 3. It really depends on oil prices. I think oil prices will rise for the next 3 years so I think price will be stable with a few dips depending on over supply. The question what price do you think will be the average over the next 3 years.... I don't know. I'm 50/50 to sign up. At 30c now I can make money but what happens if feed and fert prices go up.

Will feed and fert follow milk price and if so which follows which!!!
    Probably does as milk price has risen so too has fert, will feed follow soon?
    What would happen if feed and fert rose but milk price dropped?
    Aside from that 30.6c per litre is a hell of alot better that the 22c per litre last year and it should provide some little bit of insulation should prices fall

Advertisement