Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Will be just a tad under 2.7 mln litres produced for 2017. That equates to just under 770kgs ms/hd. Replacement rate is €35% but not very accurate as a flying herd...and I’d cull a cow for looking sideways at me. Culls averaged €940. Bought in cows averaged €895. All calves finished to beef. 130 days grazing due to drought. Feed is all produced in house. Vet bill for this year will be just over €27k. (Includes beef) Fert is 50 units/acre of nitrogen. About 25 to 30 cases of mastitis this year. No serious cases. Hoof paring done once every month, with 30 to 40 attended to each time.
    Sorry dawg but I thought u had longer days to grass.. then here

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Will be just a tad under 2.7 mln litres produced for 2017.
    That equates to just under 770kgs ms/hd.
    Replacement rate is €35% but not very accurate as a flying herd...and I’d cull a cow for looking sideways at me.
    Culls averaged €940.
    Bought in cows averaged €895.
    All calves finished to beef.
    130 days grazing due to drought.
    Feed is all produced in house.
    Vet bill for this year will be just over €27k. (Includes beef)
    Fert is 50 units/acre of nitrogen.
    About 25 to 30 cases of mastitis this year. No serious cases.
    Hoof paring done once every month, with 30 to 40 attended to each time.

I could add that my CoP is 19.99999cpl and I hire no labour (save the parents and kids!) and I paid very dearly for my inherited farm...:)

With the exception of the buy in price nothing too much greener about it so, other than you have drought and we have floods...
    Would have thought in my own head your profit margins would have been significantly higher than here but the overheads seem crazy high, especially the vets cheque! Guess I'm lucky it wasnt me that won the Euro Millions tonight had I made you an offer without reading this!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Midfield9

Signpost wrote: »
    With the exception of the buy in price nothing too much greener about it so, other than you have drought and we have floods...
    Would have thought in my own head your profit margins would have been significantly higher than here but the overheads seem crazy high, especially the vets cheque! Guess I'm lucky it wasnt me that won the Euro Millions tonight had I made you an offer without reading this!

Vet bill is okay I would of thought. Cheaper per litre than mine anyway especially since it includes beef. The milk solids is impressive alright. You paid by litre or solids dawg? It probably doesn't matter to you a whole lot to you but what's your calving interval?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Mooooo wrote: »
    Once cell count isn't high, I milk on and give ration thru the parlour if I have space, and go straight up the ramp then. Any tgat are thin or other issues I just sell

I’ve to finish them on farm because there’s nobody to buy them only the factory.

jaymla627 wrote: »
    What's the scenario if the opposite happens and their is a tsunami of extra milk in the spring, spot price for milk in holland finished the year at 18 cent was at 30 in November, its frightening the extreme volatility that's happening, lucked out here and have 70% of next years supply locked in at 31 cent

Ah it’s not that bad Jay...I’ve a tillage enterprise that has suffered prices on the floor with five years. I’d love a bit of volatility in grains!
    We were cut 5cpl in one foul swoop. I’m hoping that the coming cuts (!) will be a lot less.
    Nice to fix at 31cpl...what poster predicted that 36cpl would be available for fixing in April?? I hope he’s right! :)

• Advertisement

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Sorry dawg but I thought u had longer days to grass.. then here

I’ve also grazed for over 300days Kev, but we’re in drought since June ‘16. Worst drought since ‘76, if anyone remembers it.
    There would have been a helluva lot more milk out of France this year only for drought. I produced near on 600k litres extra this year even in the grips of drought.

Signpost wrote: »

???

How in the name of God could I have the same (or better!) margin than ye?? Don’t you listen to Teagasc or read farming press? Ireland are the cheapest producers of milk in the world!!
    We don’t get any grants either...

**Vet bill should read €28k because I forgot that I bought 15 litres of Eprinex from Ireland for €825.

Midfield9 wrote: »
    Vet bill is okay I would of thought. Cheaper per litre than mine anyway especially since it includes beef. The milk solids is impressive alright. You paid by litre or solids dawg? It probably doesn't matter to you a whole lot to you but what's your calving interval?

Solids paid same as you only base is 3.2pr and 3.8bf.

Calving interval is important. I got an estimated 200k litres extra in ‘16 because of closer calving interval.

Interval for ‘17 is 390 days. Big result for here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

GDT up 2.2%. Skim, WMP up and butter up marginally.

http://www.globaldairytrade.info/en/product-results/

Another French Coop has come out with an average base price of 34cpl for all of ‘18. Nice.

Looks like my Coop are going to get up close to some duck shyte next week...a sudden 5cpl price drop can do that, especially since there are 2 Coops after coming out with 34-35cpl for 2017.

Seems that Macrons ‘fair price’ initiative is starting to have an effect. Here’s hoping.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,731 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Any idea for December price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

whelan2 wrote: »
    Any idea for December price?

No change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A pic from the positive farmers conference today showing the price difference between products this year and last.

df03dYs.jpg

A pic from the positive farmers conference today showing the price difference between products this year and last.

df03dYs.jpg
    would be interesting to see prices from this time last year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

whelan2 wrote: »

df03dYs.jpg
    would be interesting to see prices from this time last year

Leave it to a certain co op that shall remain unnamed to talk down the price of milk. Dead right were weren't Being shown those charts this time last year.

As for the "positive farmers" Would also be interesting to see were the price of property they were advising people a couple of years ago is at now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    Leave it to a certain co op that shall remain unnamed to talk down the price of milk. Dead right were weren't Being shown those charts this time last year.

As for the "positive farmers" Would also be interesting to see were the price of property they were advising people a couple of years ago is at now?

Dairygold? On the news saying they'll struggle to keep milk prices over 30 cent this year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Nothing positive about that anyway, as you say whelan, it would be interesting to see the same chart from this time last year. They should be available somewhere.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Nothing positive about that anyway, as you say whelan, it would be interesting to see the same chart from this time last year. They should be available somewhere.
    does this work ? https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiv77rfxc_YAhVCElAKHcCxCycQFghPMAY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.agriland.ie%2Ffarming-news%2Ffall-in-prices-at-the-first-global-dairy-trade-auction-of-2017%2F&usg=AOvVaw1QCJDbONWk0Nounf10IAP3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭alps

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Dairygold? On the news saying they'll struggle to keep milk prices over 30 cent this year.

Wouldn't take too much notice....they are managing you...talking down the price in a downswing..

This time last year, they were talking down the price in an upswing.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/dairygold-chief-makes-2017-milk-price-prediction-240870

• Advertisement

The last 3mts of ‘17 we got a base price of 36cpl. We’re paid 3 times a month and the first cheque of the month was due in today, but nothing came...
    Rang them and they said that we’re being paid 33cpl for Jan/Feb/Mar after some “negotiations”...

They’d tried to drop to 31cpl.
    Amazing what the threat of an office full of duck shyte does...

You gotta hand it to the Dutch!!

On the radio just now.
    The Dutch are exporting slurry by the artic load to the Pas de Calais and even as far as the Beuce...major exclusive!
    Gps switched off in the trucks etc.

Calls for the intervention stocks to be released to suppress the milk price. Apparently the price of milk is 40cpl in Holland...and they’re trying to avoid their environmental responsibilities by exporting their slurry to France.

I’m just the messenger...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭alps

On the radio just now.
    The Dutch are exporting slurry by the artic load to the Pas de Calais and even as far as the Beuce...major exclusive!

Calls for the intervention stocks to be released to suppress the milk price. Apparently the price of milk is 40cpl in Holland...and they’re trying to avoid their environmental responsibilities by exporting their slurry to France.

Does that mean there is a French man at the other end taking in unregulated slurry? Merde!

alps wrote:
    Does that mean there is a French man at the other end taking in unregulated slurry? Merde!

And this is before the deadline!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭jaymla627

On the radio just now.

You'd want to be pumping some litres to justify it, would a 1000 euro a load get it from holland to France, would tag 5 cent a litre in production costs to a cow averaging 35 litres a day

jaymla627 wrote:
    You'd want to be pumping some litres to justify it, would a 1000 euro a load get it from holland to France, would tag 5 cent a litre in production costs to a cow averaging 35 litres a day

Ah but the dutch are great..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

On the radio just now.

holy S***. Would have never suspected that kind of carry on.
    What else goes on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

cycle4fun wrote: »
    What else goes on?

Every other country ignores the rules, Ireland being good Europeans adds on to them
    I was on plenty of Eurpean trips and there was few farms that i was on would pass Irish cross compliance

cycle4fun wrote: »
    What else goes on?

Blatant disregard of spreading dates etc etc....no point going over old ground! :)

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    Every other country ignores the rules, Ireland being good Europeans adds on to them
    I was on plenty of Eurpean trips and there was few farms that i was on would pass Irish cross compliance

I can only speak about French, Belgian and Dutch farms that I’ve been on Wrangler....and you’re misinformed.
    Why would the Dutch go to such expense when they could just fire it over a ditch?

Advertisement