Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Is that due to farmers expanding numbers too quick and a lack of proper facilities/slurry storage?

I don’t know.

He’s an old friend. A cow died from peritonitis and he’d to take it to the knackery himself because they’re flat out collecting fallen stock...go figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭alps

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Supply and demand always dictates the price

3 variables, but I believe they can be linked in many ways..

I would also suggest that price can dictate both supply and demand..

The initial response to milk price drop in Ireland in 2015, was to produce more, to offset fixed costs and maximise asset base, while accepting a reduced unit margin.

The same will happen this time round unfortunately, and while both the commission and indeed manybfarmers may wish for reduction in supply, this is a hopeless wish..

The only reduction in supply will come from limitations to produce ( which I believe are not far away) or the financial destruction of the industry in certain geographic areas.

Individual farmers in all areas may come under such financial strain as to cease production, but in the main this production will be taken up by neighbouring units to such an extent that this will not lead to volume reduction.

Price will also dictate demand, and the reason Ireland held very little stocks through and after the last price price trough was because of the demand created for Irish product. This demand was created by the price, or the reduction in price..

Our industry took the decision more than 10 years ago to major in the low priced product arena once quotas were lifted. The feeling was that we could sell all we could produce, as long as we could produce cheaper than any opposition... the mantra of "we'll burn them off" was delivered by many...

Neither us farmers, nor our processing industry will make a decision to limit production unless regulated to do so, or until the margin in our industry is so tight as to limit the possibility of the addition of any further processing facilities.

alps wrote: »
    3 variables, but I believe they can be linked in many ways..

I would also suggest that price can dictate both supply and demand..

The initial response to milk price drop in Ireland in 2015, was to produce more, to offset fixed costs and maximise asset base, while accepting a reduced unit margin.

The same will happen this time round unfortunately, and while both the commission and indeed manybfarmers may wish for reduction in supply, this is a hopeless wish..

The only reduction in supply will come from limitations to produce ( which I believe are not far away) or the financial destruction of the industry in certain geographic areas.

Individual farmers in all areas may come under such financial strain as to cease production, but in the main this production will be taken up by neighbouring units to such an extent that this will not lead to volume reduction.

Price will also dictate demand, and the reason Ireland held very little stocks through and after the last price price trough was because of the demand created for Irish product. This demand was created by the price, or the reduction in price..

Our industry took the decision more than 10 years ago to major in the low priced product arena once quotas were lifted. The feeling was that we could sell all we could produce, as long as we could produce cheaper than any opposition... the mantra of "we'll burn them off" was delivered by many...

Neither us farmers, nor our processing industry will make a decision to limit production unless regulated to do so, or until the margin in our industry is so tight as to limit the possibility of the addition of any further processing facilities.

Hmmm.
    Good post Alps.

Way back in ‘14/‘15 I was lambasted for saying that the end of quota would inevitably end up in this scenario. If you read the Teagasc report of 2011 (I think) they also pointed to this.
    The smaller producers can’t compete without protection. Whether that be market protection/manipulation... or government supports/low or no borrowings/ unpaid family labour etc etc.

How many 100acre tillage/beef/sheep farmers are making a * full time* living from farming? Very few. The sting is that dairy farming doesn’t lend itself to part time farming.

Are you seeking/expecting/hoping for a return to some kind of market restriction/protection/support??

Senior hurling and all that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

A reasonable question to ask, do you have any idea what the lowest price you can tolerate long-term? Ie lower than it's simply not worth staying milking? For me I'm certainly not willing to skin right down to the bone if push came to shove and would not like to have to try get by on anything under the likes of 25c/l, 5year lease on the farm, take my tax free 20k/yr, and go back engineering would be alot better than being tied down milking 7days a week for very little return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Timmaay wrote: »
    A reasonable question to ask, do you have any idea what the lowest price you can tolerate long-term? Ie lower than it's simply not worth staying milking? For me I'm certainly not willing to skin right down to the bone if push came to shove and would not like to have to try get by on anything under the likes of 25c/l, 5year lease on the farm, take my tax free 20k/yr, and go back engineering would be alot better than being tied down milking 7days a week for very little return.

Your mythical 20K/yr lease is due to milk price,
    Where do you expect it to be at 25c/ltr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

25c/lite base price or paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

Water John wrote: »
    Strathroy have access to processing in the ROI too.

we have only one processing plant and that is in omagh . but alot of milk went to north cork last year from wexford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Jaysus lads steady on,a couple of months ago somebody was for casting a fixed price of 36 and suddenly we are saying low twenties.at the risk of repeating myself ,its the cycle lads its the cycle

It would make a lot of sense for a large section of farmers Tim. However there’s a lack of objectivity within the industry. Maybe farmers believe the hype coming from the establishment??
    I could never understand the children being called ‘little farmers’, why would anyone subject their children to constant hardship for little return, when they could be as you suggest and have a comfortable life?
    I haven’t milked a cow since Christmas but it’s still hardship. If grains were to return to providing a half decent margin I’d be shut of cows...no harm in dreaming I suppose. Grains in a global environment are going to depend on weather events across the globe to create a price rise. This will always be short lived.
    Milk is going to be the same.

IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

I don’t know.

He’s an old friend. A cow died from peritonitis and he’d to take it to the knackery himself because they’re flat out collecting fallen stock...go figure.

So to be clear, your "buddy" is a farmer not a Dept decision maker. His cow died and he called the knacker, the knacker was busy and his conclusion is that there'll be a clampdown on dairy farming because of animal welfare issues.

Would that be about the size of it?

So to be clear, your "buddy" is a farmer not a Dept decision maker. His cow died and he called the knacker, the knacker was busy and his conclusion is that there'll be a clampdown on dairy farming because of animal welfare issues.

Would that be about the size of it?

No. Couldn’t be further from the truth.

Clampdown??
    I never said or insinuated such a thing.

Leg wax suggested it might be a good time to buy some dairy stock...I suggested to toughen it a bit.
    That’s all.

Relax.

In fact I’m waiting on a call from Holland for some cows at reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

No. Couldn’t be further from the truth.

Clampdown??
    I never said or insinuated such a thing.

Leg wax suggested it might be a good time to buy some dairy stock...I suggested to toughen it a bit.
    That’s all.

Relax.

In fact I’m waiting on a call from Holland for some cows at reasonable prices.

"A pretty large issue with welfare and overstocking" is what you said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭mf240

A lad told a lad that a lad on a lorry told him he was busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,731 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Spring is the busiest time for knackeries add in the snow and storm. They are flat out.

Lol.

Yes Ophelia never happened.
    The Beast from the east never happened.
    The cold snap next week won’t happen.
    Greenfield welfare (non) issues.

Early grass turnout and an amazingly short winter.
    Tarring the roads with surplus fodder. Etc etc

Jaysus ye’re à touchy bunch.

Relax ffs.

If farmers aren’t feeling pressured now with milk price going the wrong way...
    Go to f4f and read the last page of the milk price thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Lol.

Relax ffs.

Just an idea but maybe it would be better if you just wrote about French farming on this website rather continuously stir s##t about Irish farming when the reality is that you really haven't a clue what you are talking about in an Irish context

just a thought like

Panch18 wrote: »
    Just an idea but maybe it would be better if you just wrote about French farming on this website rather continuously stir s##t about Irish farming when the reality is that you really haven't a clue what you are talking about in an Irish context

just a thought like

Aye or maybe post about the milk price......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭einn32

Milk price doesn't matter to most dairy farmers in Ireland. They just keep milking away. It's a conversation topic. It's a way of life. Subsidy...don't touch that though! The odd few run it as a business but they never hammer the processor for a crap price.

Every time price changes we get the same talk. price goes down... We're all finished, no you're not. Most people inherited a farm and get subsidies. It's hard to mess that up.

Milk goes up and everything is grand, let's start expanding.

When do strathroy announce their price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

whelan2 wrote: »
    When do strathroy announce their price?

soon i hope let you know when i know

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Bo dearg

By glanbia cutting price by 3cent does it not seem like they're using spring milk supply to subsidise what they paid for winter milk supply

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Lol.

Relax ffs.

Had the lorry in yard myself this week and the driver said they had their busiest week ever last week.he also said the boss told him last october that spring would be busy.it was based on the fact that silage was testing so poorly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

just a thought like

I'd have to disagree. He might stir things a bit but there's usually a grain of truth in his posts. Things would be a good deal duller around here without them.

We lost 3 cows and a calf on the past ten days. One completely unexplained, one pneumonia complication of another infection and one a heifer that aborted due to a puck when groups were mixed back in January. She never raised a gallop after it and got two bouts of pneumonia before just pining away. Both of these cows were seen by a vet a couple of times so my conscience is clear that we did our best for them. Waiting five days at this stage for knackery to come for them but they're swamped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

just a thought like

People are allowed to have different opinions...

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭farisfat

I'm not in a dairy area all sucklers and sheep and I'm waiting 4 days for them to lift a dead calve.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Aye or maybe post about the milk price......

With all due respect Whelan2...you’re a regular contributor on F4F and on the milk price thread there were posts that were quite explicit about animal welfare. I know both posters. Both are well informed and well educated and they are definitely not prone to exaggeration. However I get cut in two for making a pretty innocuous comment...
    MF240 posted a pic before those posts and you commented after those posts...not a geex out of both of ye. Words like ‘neglect’ etc bandied about.
    Fyi I posted my milk price until next May and thereafter commented on other people’s posts.
    I’m not having a cut at you or MF240 as I always respect ye’re contributions.

As for other contributors, you’d be surprised how (ill) informed I am about farming in Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭mf240

Fair enough dawg. This is the pic I posted for anyone wondering.

a9c5bf4f743786610eab480dc7100066--horse-trailers-cattle-trailers.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

mf240 wrote: »
    Fair enough dawg. This is the pic I posted for anyone wondering.

a9c5bf4f743786610eab480dc7100066--horse-trailers-cattle-trailers.jpg

God what do some lads be thinking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

With all due respect Whelan2...you’re a regular contributor on F4F and on the milk price thread there were posts that were quite explicit about animal welfare. I know both posters. Both are well informed and well educated and they are definitely not prone to exaggeration. However I get cut in two for making a pretty innocuous comment...
    MF240 posted a pic before those posts and you commented after those posts...not a geex out of both of ye. Words like ‘neglect’ etc bandied about.
    Fyi I posted my milk price until next May and thereafter commented on other people’s posts.
    I’m not having a cut at you or MF240 as I always respect ye’re contributions.

As for other contributors, you’d be surprised how (ill) informed I am about farming in Ireland...

Of course you're well informed about farming in Ireland, shur weren't you on a phone to a fella the other night

Advertisement