Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,731 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Henwin wrote: »
    I was thinking that too, I remember when I was in primary school back in the day, a local milk supplier used to deliver small cartons of milk to the children, paid for in advance. That doesn't happen anywhere that I know of anymore. Id say a lot of children take fruit sqashes as their drink to school which are full of sugar, not many take milk which wud be far healthier,
    The only problem is the set up costs, the packaging and setting up a payment plan. But I love the idea.
    Our primary school stopped the milk . The principal said it was a storage issue, I went to Glanbia about it, then she said she didnt want milk in the school as she was throwing a good bit of it out and the smell of sour milk was rotten. Glanbia do provide fridges to store the milk in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

whelan2 wrote: »
    Our primary school stopped the milk . The principal said it was a storage issue, I went to Glanbia about it, then she said she didnt want milk in the school as she was throwing a good bit of it out and the smell of sour milk was rotten. Glanbia do provide fridges to store the milk in.

Some kids don't like it and it does stink when spilt, they can drink it at home if they need it.
    Bins would have to be emptied nearly every day, couldn't see kids rinsing out every carton, even had builders here one time that pegged around milk cartons, the stink was everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭alps

43.722 for Feb milk 4.89fat and 3.69pr..

Wish we could do the rest of the year at these prices, however lack of grass is going to cost us as much as milk price decreases..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Is the milk price announced last week, the base price for February's milk?

Is the milk price announced last week, the base price for February's milk?

Yes

• Advertisement

Yes

Its the first time since april 2004 that milk price matters to me. Farmers really just price takers, no matter whether its, beef, tillage or dairy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Its the first time since april 2004 that milk price matters to me. Farmers really just price takers, no matter whether its, beef, tillage or dairy

Are you milking now?

Panch18 wrote: »
    Are you milking now?

No. Leased out half the farm to a dairy man. I couldn't be around often enough to manage everything. And my dad isnt getting any younger, and he gets more parts replaced evet year (knees, hips, etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

No. Leased out half the farm to a dairy man. I couldn't be around often enough to manage everything. And my dad isnt getting any younger, and he gets more parts replaced evet year (knees, hips, etc.)

You're as well off let me tell you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Panch18 wrote: »
    You're as well off let me tell you

Better off, the simple economic reality.

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Better off, the simple economic reality.

It was lease half out, or go dairying myself fulltime. 3 of my goid friends are full time dairy farming, running from 80 cows, to 120, to 350+. All seem to be happy and making good money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Each to their own. Problem is some are saying the guys milking 80 and 120 cows are wasting their time. That's the message being heard by some.
    There is a living in it if you are not carrying large debt.

It was lease half out, or go dairying myself fulltime. 3 of my goid friends are full time dairy farming, running from 80 cows, to 120, to 350+. All seem to be happy and making good money.

Ah yeh agreed there is defo a living to be made dairying once the average base doesn't crash sub30c/l, however the harsh economic reality still is given the choice of a reasonable job and a tax free rental income on top of that salary or just straight dairying the 1st will in many situations leave you with more money after tax.

And it's a nice enough situation to be ha, I know I'm definitely not going to milk cows all my working life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Skim dropped 9% in GDT. Overall index down 1.2%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

That heading was misleading!

15c/kgms works out about 0.75c/l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Skim dropped 9% in GDT. Overall index down 1.2%.

Whichever way I read that it is bullish for butter. Skim supply must be up despite the overhang and if the fat price is holding against strong supply I like the sound of it.

Would a strong butter price suit some coops noticeably better than others? Would we see it in the price tables?

* note I am probably wrong

I presume those focussed on cheese and whey should be under more pressure but our friends in West Cork seem to swim against the current.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Lovey update by Jim on glanbia connect guaranteeing further price cuts and by the sounds of it, if they stop at 27 cent, it would be a good outcome

• Advertisement

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Lovey update by Jim on glanbia connect guaranteeing further price cuts and by the sounds of it, if they stop at 27 cent, it would be a good outcome

Is he anywhere near retirement ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

He'll surely have enough to retire on once the next round of cuts come in next month?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

when jim the liar retire they will just replace him with another company yes man they wont change their culture of contempt towards the farmer in that place anytime soon .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭cute geoge

It is gas the way they complain about management at glanbia and was it less then a year ago the farmers were like sheep voting for glanbia co op to buy up the dairy side off the plc .The mind boggles

If we sign up to the 3yr glanbia 31c fixed price are you signed into a 3yr msa also?

IWT Timmay, that's the whole point of it.

If we sign up to the 3yr glanbia 31c fixed price are you signed into a 3yr msa also?

From reading the sheets there it says a valid msa at time of signing. Will ring farm services guy tomorrow

223euro "adverse weather payment" in the feb milkcheque today. Between lower yields, sh1te protein (3.05 against 3.4+), more meal, more silage, higher vet bills I'm at least 5k out of pocket this March. And not to mind lower grass growth etc. I can stomach all that, comes with the territory, but glanbia using it as a cheap shot to try mask their 3c/l cut, that's very very frustrating to say the least.

Rang 3people in glanbia this morning. Just got a call back. You don't need to sign a new msa but if you hand in your two years noticed during the time of the fixed price scheme the contract for the fixed price scheme wont be valid....

• Advertisement

Rang 3people in glanbia this morning. Just got a call back. You don't need to sign a new msa but if you hand in your two years noticed during the time of the fixed price scheme the contract for the fixed price scheme wont be valid....

Does that mean that if you apply for the fixed scheme and the milk price never goes that low, that you can get out if the fixed price scheme by giving notice?

Advertisement