Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hey all bought a starter kit the other day but have run into an issue where the hue bulbs arent working in our bedroom overhead light. When plugged in neither of the 2 white ambience bulbs i got in the kit light up. I tested both in another overhead socket thats exactly the same kind downstairs and they both definitely work in that one. Also the bedroom overhead works fine when a normal led bulb is in.

Anyone know what the issue could be?

Also yes the switch was definitely on when i tested to get that question out of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

VinLieger wrote: »
    Hey all bought a starter kit the other day but have run into an issue where the hue bulbs arent working in our bedroom overhead light. When plugged in neither of the 2 white ambience bulbs i got in the kit light up. I tested both in another overhead socket thats exactly the same kind downstairs and they both definitely work in that one. Also the bedroom overhead works fine when a normal led bulb is in.

Anyone know what the issue could be?

Also yes the switch was definitely on when i tested to get that question out of the way

This seems quite odd as any hue bulb will work as a standard bulb without any hue functionality as long as power is supplied to the bulb!!

Are they B22 or E27 type bulbs?

The only possible answer would be a bad fitting/seating of the bulb in the socket (more probably on a B22 bulb), not allowing the contacts to contact and transmit electricity to the bulb.

This seems quite odd as any hue bulb will work as a standard bulb without any hue functionality as long as power is supplied to the bulb!!

Are they B22 or E27 type bulbs?

The only possible answer would be a bad fitting/seating of the bulb in the socket (more probably on a B22 bulb), not allowing the contacts to contact and transmit electricity to the bulb.

Yeah im really confused too, they are e27 so it doesnt make any sense especially since they work in the exact same fitting thats in another room.

Theres definitely no power or other requirement hue has that might be causing it?

Turn off the power to the switch and look inside the socket, there's a little bendable flap that contacts the centre point of the bulb,

Bend it up a little bit so it sits a little higher, it could be that that point on the hue bulb might not be as high as a regular bulb, and as such it's not making contact.

Just ensure the power to the fitting is off as otherwise you'll get a 230v blast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Has anyone else had an issue with Hue lights taking on a life of their own?

Mine are coming on and off randomly over the last two weeks since I set up my second Google Home.

• Advertisement

Turn off the power to the switch and look inside the socket, there's a little bendable flap that contacts the centre point of the bulb,

Bend it up a little bit so it sits a little higher, it could be that that point on the hue bulb might not be as high as a regular bulb, and as such it's not making contact.

Just ensure the power to the fitting is off as otherwise you'll get a 230v blast

Yup looks like it was an issue with the hue bulb and the socket, all working and setup now, thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭mossie

OldBean wrote: »

Mine are coming on and off randomly over the last two weeks since I set up my second Google Home.

Yeah, I've had my bedroom light flashing i the middle of the night a few times lately. Might be others too but can only sppeak for the bedroom.

:cool:
    mossie wrote: »
    Yeah, I've had my bedroom light flashing i the middle of the night a few times lately. Might be others too but can only sppeak for the bedroom.

make sure you don't have any IFTTT palest set up!

When I first started using IFTTT I set up so the lights in my office would flash when the ISS passed overhead, and then of course completely forgot about it, and a few weeks later I was up during the night and noticed my office was flashing! and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was happening until I remembered IFTTT

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

When I first started using IFTTT I set up so the lights in my office would flash when the ISS passed overhead, and then of course completely forgot about it, and a few weeks later I was up during the night and noticed my office was flashing! and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was happening until I remembered IFTTT

Those sensors have a great range...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭mossie

Don't think I have but maybe i've forgotten:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Don't think I have but maybe i've forgotten:confused:

Did you get to the bottom of this? Since yesterday all the lights in the house have been turning on themselves and I can't figure out why!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

A power cut can make all.yoir lights come.on when its restored. Maybe you have had a brief power cut ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

A power cut can make all.yoir lights come.on when its restored. Maybe you have had a brief power cut ?

No his lights were going on in different rooms and off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

After a couple of whiskies I figured it out! When I was on holiday a few months ago I'd tried out presence mimicking in hue labs. For some reason this had turned itself on again and was causing the lights to turn on and off. At least I know it works I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Having an issue with a wake up routine in the hue app, the lights come on correctly however whenever i try to set a turn off time for them and save the routine when i click back into the routine it looks like the turn off time wasn't set at all, the lights always turn off at the same time regardless of the time I try and save in the routine which is immediately after the 15 minute fade up completes.

Anyone know the problem/solution?

Finally got around to changing the Zigbee channel last week and it sorted it out straight away.

Is there anything I could setup as a light sensor for hue. I'm really surprised they're not offering of on their product line.

I'd like a landing light to come on automatically when it starts to get dark. I've tried 30-60 mins before sunset but there are days when I'd need it earlier when the bedroom doors are closed as there's no window and no natural light unless a door to a room is open with opened curtains.

First world problems eh?

Is there anything I could setup as a light sensor for hue. I'm really surprised they're not offering of on their product line.

I'd like a landing light to come on automatically when it starts to get dark. I've tried 30-60 mins before sunset but there are days when I'd need it earlier when the bedroom doors are closed as there's no window and no natural light unless a door to a room is open with opened curtains.

First world problems eh?

Philips Hue Intelligent Motion Sensor Smart Wireless Lighting Accessory, Works with Alexa https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KLWXL5C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_UgAKzbW0V950Z

The Philips sensor will activate your lights based off movement and using the light sensor.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Philips Hue Intelligent Motion Sensor Smart Wireless Lighting Accessory, Works with Alexa https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KLWXL5C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_UgAKzbW0V950Z

The Philips sensor will activate your lights based off movement and using the light sensor.

I had known about that but though it was a motion sensor

• Advertisement

I had known about that but though it was a motion sensor

Theres a light sensor to. I have one in the kitchen and I have it set so the kitchen lights come on when the sensor detects movement and the room is deemed dark enough to turn on the lights.

I'm not 100% sure it will switch on your hall light when the house starts to darken though but maybe someone else can answer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Theres a light sensor to. I have one in the kitchen and I have it set so the kitchen lights come on when the sensor detects movement and the room is deemed dark enough to turn on the lights.

I'm not 100% sure it will switch on your hall light when the house starts to darken though but maybe someone else can answer that.

It will.

they have a section in the Hue Labs. You set the darkness you want your lights to turn on at. I use it in the living room and it works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Anyone a decent solution for the hues coming on after a power cut with apple devices.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Anyone a decent solution for the hues coming on after a power cut with apple devices.

They do that no matter what device you use.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

The trick would be to have a push button type "always on" switch that would need to be manually re energised in the event of a power cut!

A type of electromagnetic switch what needs a manual operation to re energise it after the power trips and is restored.

Whether such a switch exists I do not know!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I suppose you could combine it with a wired smart switch that defaults to off when it resets. I'm not sure which ones do that, but I'm sure some do.

Thing is though, how often is it likely to happen? Is it worth it for once a year event?

Though I agree Philips should allow you to change the default for this in the settings.

Even an alert through the app would be appreciated - Letting you make your own call on what to do next.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Even an alert through the app would be appreciated - Letting you make your own call on what to do next.

Their app developers don't strike me as the best in the business. Terribly clunky app last time I used it. I hate having to add new devices.

• Advertisement

Their app developers don't strike me as the best in the business. Terribly clunky app last time I used it. I hate having to add new devices.

You go to settings and then light setup (for bulbs) or accessory setup and then press the + button to add a new item and then press search. That's pretty straight forward and self explanatory.

If you think Hue is clunky you should give Lifx a go :pac:

Advertisement