Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

I'm wondering almost the opposite. What is the best way to use it for a shower. At Present, I have to keep sticking my hand out to re-activate the sensor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Panrich wrote: »
    I'm wondering almost the opposite. What is the best way to use it for a shower. At Present, I have to keep sticking my hand out to re-activate the sensor.

Put it up higher and more central.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tertials

Bought four GU10s in Ikea (the 7 euro Tradfri ones, batch number 1733). Didn't buy Ikea gateway/bridge. Tried to attach them to the Philips Hue bridge, one by one. Hue App just didn't find them, no matter how close I brought the bridge to the bulb. Gave up.

Next night I put the 4 Ikea bulbs together into the light fitting. Thought I'd try again with the Hue App. Didn't bother switching off any Philips hue light, and the hue bridge was about six feet away. Went to Hue App and light setup and the + button to add a light.

This time, as the app was attempting to find them, I just kept turning on and off the light switch. To my amazement, all 4 lights were found, each one coming up as 'Dimmable light 1', 'Dimmable light 2' etc! Worth trying for those who can't get them to work. The bulbs are really bright and I was well impressed by them, especially now they are controllable and dimmable with the Hue app, and work with the Hue sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Has anyone any good apps for the Philips motion sensors, I'm trying to get the sensor to do separate things to the bedroom and the en suite but the functionality isn't there on the Philips app. Any good 3rd party apps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Panrich wrote: »

Thats were a logic controller really comes in to play. For my setup (not hue) on the bathroom, I have both a pir and a door sensor. So the Door or the pir activate the light, and start a countdown timer, but....if the pir detects motion when the Door is closed, the timer is stopped until the door opens again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Hey all, just want to confirm that you still need to set up an IFTTT applet to control each Hue scene via Google Home, even the default Hue scenes? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

I ordered the below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0748MDYJN/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

But then noticed delivery is 1-2 months?? Anyone know if that is actually the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I ordered the below:

But then noticed delivery is 1-2 months?? Anyone know if that is actually the case?

Normally they arrive much faster. The 1-2 months is amazon just covreing themselves in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,694 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The 1-2 months is amazon just covreing themselves in my experience.

Yeah, that would be worst case scenario. They usually always have those in stock, but I'd say given the recent sales they had (3 for 2 etc..), they must have shipped out a fair amount of Hue bulbs over the last few weeks/months.

Chances are they'll be back in in a week or 2, and you'll have them soon after that.

In your in desperate need to get them sooner, pay the extra ~€3 and get them locally in any Argos that has them in stock (not easy with Argos and Hue though)

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7450828/Trail/searchtext%3EHUE.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 16 6leander6

Hi, do Philips make wireless lightstrips? I want to use one on a large painting but don't want a visible power supply cord hanging down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭irelandrover

6leander6 wrote: »
    Hi, do Philips make wireless lightstrips? I want to use one on a large painting but don't want a visible power supply cord hanging down.

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

6leander6 wrote: »

Plenty of strip lights that work off a small battery pack. They can be controlled by switch or PIR. If its only a temp setup these would be fine and over half the price of HUE strip lights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I ordered the below:

Was just about to post about it...

The starter kit could not be shipped to Ireland, so I have placed two separate orders for the bridge and bulbs.

Not in rush at all, but not too happy either. Make sure not to pay for speedy delivery would be my advice;)

I will just leave it at that, but not excited when it comes to Amazon after placing just one order recently - delivery delayed etc...no fixed date/time... Not impressed at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

wonski wrote: »
    Was just about to post about it...

The starter kit could not be shipped to Ireland, so I have placed two separate orders for the bridge and bulbs.

Not in rush at all, but not too happy either. Make sure not to pay for speedy delivery would be my advice;)

I will just leave it at that, but not excited when it comes to Amazon after placing just one order recently - delivery delayed etc...no fixed date/time... Not impressed at all.

Just got an email from Amazon :

"Philips Hue Personal Wireless Lighting LED Ligth Bulb, Synthetics, B22, 9.5 W, White"
    Previous estimated arrival date: January 27 2018 - February 22 2018
    New estimated arrival date: January 16 2018 - January 17 2018

They are not bad after all, got my Elite remote this morning, too :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Has anyone any experience with the Hue ceiling lights?

I want to change over the ceiling light in my living room and was planning on getting a 3 light fitting, adding some Hue bulbs in afterwards. But by the time I do all that I’d probably have spent as much as I would on one of the all-in-one Hue fittings (I’m seeing some on Amazon for around €130-140).

However I’m seeing some reviews say it’s not particularly bright. It’s a small sitting room (5x4m would be generous) but I would like to have the option of a “big” light if I need it.

flogen wrote: »

I want to change over the ceiling light in my living room and was planning on getting a 3 light fitting, adding some Hue bulbs in afterwards. But by the time I do all that I’d probably have spent as much as I would on one of the all-in-one Hue fittings (I’m seeing some on Amazon for around €130-140

However I’m seeing some reviews say it’s not particularly bright. It’s a small sitting room (5x4m would be generous) but I would like to have the option of a “big” light if I need it.

I wouldn’t be a fan of them

The beauty of Hue for me is the ability to retrofit the bulbs into your own personal fittings.
    The only place I could possibly see one of those ceiling lights going on would be in a bathroom, or maybe in the hallway, as I don’t think they look that good to be honest.

Those ceiling lights are only White Ambiance (basically it’s just a white ambiance light strip), and I’ve gone full colour everywhere at this stage, so again, would be a step back.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

flogen wrote: »

I want to change over the ceiling light in my living room and was planning on getting a 3 light fitting, adding some Hue bulbs in afterwards. But by the time I do all that I’d probably have spent as much as I would on one of the all-in-one Hue fittings (I’m seeing some on Amazon for around €130-140).

I've no experience with said lights but I'd it was me, I'd go with a regular light fitting and add hue bulbs for 3 reasons;

You will achieve a brighter room with the bulbs.
    If you ever move, you can pack up the hue bulbs and take them with you.
    You can choose between a colour/white light setup as you please.

I wouldn’t be a fan of them

The beauty of Hue for me is the ability to retrofit the bulbs into your own personal fittings.
    The only place I could possibly see one of those ceiling lights going on would be in a bathroom, or maybe in the hallway, as I don’t think they look that good to be honest.

Those ceiling lights are only White Ambiance (basically it’s just a white ambiance light strip), and I’ve gone full colour everywhere at this stage, so again, would be a step back.
    I've no experience with said lights but I'd it was me, I'd go with a regular light fitting and add hue bulbs for 3 reasons;

You will achieve a brighter room with the bulbs.
    If you ever move, you can pack up the hue bulbs and take them with you.
    You can choose between a colour/white light setup as you please.

Fair point - might just stick with the original plan and get a new fitting and some regular bulbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Alkers

Picked up a switch and a motion sensor today. What's the field of view like for the motion sensor? If I put it on the wall above the front door, would it detect the door opening? What's the range on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭bren2001

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Picked up a switch and a motion sensor today. What's the field of view like for the motion sensor? If I put it on the wall above the front door, would it detect the door opening? What's the range on them?

It should do but just but to check you can just put it up with blu-tack, its not heavy. Alternatively, you could put the sensor on the bottom of the door, it would detect movement when the door opens but is hidden from eye-level.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

bren2001 wrote: »
    It should do but just but to check you can just put it up with blu-tack, its not heavy. Alternatively, you could put the sensor on the bottom of the door, it would detect movement when the door opens but is hidden from eye-level.

I've mine simply sitting on top of the door frames. Not attached to anything.

I'll set them up properly eventually, but fine for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

I find my motion sensor to be poor in complete darkness, i have a hallway with no light source when the doors are all closed. I have to walk half way down the hall to activate it. If i open one of the doors and there is some weak light coming into the hallway it picks up everything (incl dog walking about)

I have played with the settings of Daylight/Motion and can't seem to improve results.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

eusap wrote: »
    I find my motion sensor to be poor in complete darkness, i have a hallway with no light source when the doors are all closed. I have to walk half way down the hall to activate it. If i open one of the doors and there is some weak light coming into the hallway it picks up everything (incl dog walking about)

I have played with the settings of Daylight/Motion and can't seem to improve results.

i find that too with our landing one, doesn't trigger if you come up stairs in darkness but does when come back out of bathroom with a little light behind you. also toddler doesn't set it off when pottering around. keep meaning to see can I up sensitivity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Shlippery

https://developers.meethue.com/entertainment-blog

Oooh..new updates and whatnot.

Shlippery wrote: »

So far it's only supporting PC gaming via Razor, but hopefully more partnerships get rolled out soon.

I'd be interested to see what they have in store for movies & TV - a partnership with the likes of Netflix would be game changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Yea, not as excited after seeing Razer only, but hopefully CES has more to offer.

Netflix/Plex would be fantastic!

even tie up's with movie studios for their content (played over any medium)

Picked up some colour bulbs (a B22 and two E14s) but have noticed that they don’t default to ‘on’ when they’re turned on at the regular switch.

The two white E27s I have are and it’s a handy feature because you can do a quick ‘Off-On’ at the wall if your phone isn’t to hand.

Is it just the way the colour bulbs work or isn’t there a way of changing the default setting?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Hi, Mine come on when you do that with the switch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭bren2001

I've a Philips Hue (not an Ambient) B22 at the top of my stairs connected to a motion sensor. I've it set to come on at a very low brightness during the night. However, the bulb flashes to full brightness for a split second and then reduces to the lower value. This does not happen with my GU10's.

Is this correct operation or is there a way to stop this? Its not great running to the loo at 2 am and getting blinded.

Advertisement