Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

bren2001 wrote: »
    I've a Philips Hue (not an Ambient) B22 at the top of my stairs connected to a motion sensor. I've it set to come on at a very low brightness during the night. However, the bulb flashes to full brightness for a split second and then reduces to the lower value. This does not happen with my GU10's.

Is this correct operation or is there a way to stop this? Its not great running to the loo at 2 am and getting blinded.

No, my GU10's come on at minimum brightness at night and don't flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

bk wrote: »
    No, my GU10's come on at minimum brightness at night and don't flash.

My gu10s are fine. I only have one B22 so it's not like I can swap it round and check. It's annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

flogen wrote: »
    Picked up some colour bulbs (a B22 and two E14s) but have noticed that they don’t default to ‘on’ when they’re turned on at the regular switch.

The two white E27s I have are and it’s a handy feature because you can do a quick ‘Off-On’ at the wall if your phone isn’t to hand.

Is it just the way the colour bulbs work or isn’t there a way of changing the default setting?

All bulbs will (and should) just come on to a default warm white if toggled off/on at the traditional light switch, sometimes if you do it quick they won’t come on (if previously off).

For me this includes colour, white ambiance & white only, spread out over E27/B22/E14/Lightstrip

The only ones I have that don’t follow this rule are the Bloom’s which come on a red colour when powered off and then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Anyway of disabling the sensor at certain hours.

Have sensor timed to turn on at movement and turn off after five minutes of no movement.

Have separate timer to come on at 1800. The light then seems to turn off when movement is not sensed.

Anyway of disabling the sensor at certain hours.

Have sensor timed to turn on at movement and turn off after five minutes of no movement.

Have separate timer to come on at 1800. The light then seems to turn off when movement is not sensed.

That’s my biggest bug with the sensor, and I raised it with Philips over a year ago.

The sensor (it turning the lights off) will always override a currently running routine/scene.

So if you have Relax timed to be on til 8pm, and you walk into the kitchen at 7pm, it will then turn the lights off 5/10/15 minutes after leaving the room rather than revert to the scene that was previously on via its routine.

• Advertisement

That’s my biggest bug with the sensor, and I raised it with Philips over a year ago.

The sensor (it turning the lights off) will always override a currently running routine/scene.

So if you have Relax timed to be on til 8pm, and you walk into the kitchen at 7pm, it will then turn the lights off 5/10/15 minutes after leaving the room rather than revert to the scene that was previously on via its routine.

Actually, just on this, there are lots of Formulas in Hue Labs that solve this problem.
    You can have snooze periods for the sensors (where they become inactive), you can also return lights to the previous scene as opposed to turning them off when no motion is detected. And you can set up weekends where the sensors react differently on days you designate as weekend days.

The Hue Labs is the test bed for beta testing of new features, but it’s available to all from within the main Hue App.

There’s also huge updates available for all bulbs to bring them up to Hue Entertainment spec/speed. I updated 39 of 49 bulbs yesterday and it took about 24 hours for all the updates to download (after it had shown the bulbs were updated). I started updating another 4 bulbs this morning and it’s at about 90 minutes and counting for the downloading to finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

Actually, just on this, there are lots of Formulas in Hue Labs that solve this problem.
    You can have snooze periods for the sensors (where they become inactive), you can also return lights to the previous scene as opposed to turning them off when no motion is detected. And you can set up weekends where the sensors react differently on days you designate as weekend days.

The Hue Labs is the test bed for beta testing of new features, but it’s available to all from within the main Hue App.

There’s also huge updates available for all bulbs to bring them up to Hue Entertainment spec/speed. I updated 39 of 49 bulbs yesterday and it took about 24 hours for all the updates to download (after it had shown the bulbs were updated). I started updating another 4 bulbs this morning and it’s at about 90 minutes and counting for the downloading to finish!

I've also updated, but I was planning on adding some of the new Ikea tradfri bulbs to the setup, mostly just for cost. Do you, or anybody else, know if the new entertainment update affects the use of non hue bulbs

cletus wrote: »
    I've also updated, but I was planning on adding some of the new Ikea tradfri bulbs to the setup, mostly just for cost. Do you, or anybody else, know if the new entertainment update affects the use of non hue bulbs

That'll be the big question, as these bulb updates are HUGE!

If I read correctly, they're basically adding multiple/simultaneous zigbee channel communication into the system, allowing smaller groups of bulbs to communicate faster with each other, while still maintaining the overall mesh network. These smaller groups will be the entertainment bit of the whole thing. (I set up an 'entertainment' room, and it's nice and easy to do, however I don't PC game, so until they expand it to consoles and/or TV/Movie content, I'll just have to wait to try it out)

This will be the big test of Hue and 3rd party bulbs support. You'd assume 3rd party bulbs will still work as they do, but for the Hue Entertainment bit of this update, they might not be supported.

If I were you, I'd get only one of the Ikea bulbs and try it out, and if it works, go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

That'll be the big question, as these bulb updates are HUGE!

If I read correctly, they're basically adding multiple/simultaneous zigbee channel communication into the system, allowing smaller groups of bulbs to communicate faster with each other, while still maintaining the overall mesh network. These smaller groups will be the entertainment bit of the whole thing. (I set up an 'entertainment' room, and it's nice and easy to do, however I don't PC game, so until they expand it to consoles and/or TV/Movie content, I'll just have to wait to try it out)

This will be the big test of Hue and 3rd party bulbs support. You'd assume 3rd party bulbs will still work as they do, but for the Hue Entertainment bit of this update, they might not be supported.

If I were you, I'd get only one of the Ikea bulbs and try it out, and if it works, go from there.

Is this a newer bulb update again or is it the one from November? I remember bulbs taking ages to update just before Christmas - but can't see any new firmware mentioned!

Shlippery wrote: »
    Is this a newer bulb update again or is it the one from November? I remember bulbs taking ages to update just before Christmas - but can't see any new firmware mentioned!

Its a new update, but they told me on face feck, that because this update is so complex (changing how the bulbs communicate with each other), when the bulb is updated, Hue still has to download & install all & every update that was ever issued for that particular bulb (so on older bulbs, it means a lot of updates).

Seems like the bulbs are being completely wiped of everything they ever knew, and re-built from the ground up, and doing it all by themselves!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Be nice if they released a small say 18” lightstrip to go on the back of your monitor to take advantage of the entertainment part. No way I’m buying one to cut it down

OU812 wrote: »
    Be nice if they released a small say 18” lightstrip to go on the back of your monitor to take advantage of the entertainment part. No way I’m buying one to cut it down

With many of the extender cables available, you could extend from a light strip under or behind your desk up to a monitor, then you’d only have to cut one of the 1m extension pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

With many of the extender cables available, you could extend from a light strip under or behind your desk up to a monitor, then you’d only have to cut one of the 1m extension pieces

Ah is it easy hide the extension cables? How are yours placed? It's probably the next part of the Hue I'd like to invest in, just seems to require a bit more planning!

also; ref firmware:
    https://www2.meethue.com/en-us/support/release-notes/lamps-luminaires

What release are your bulbs on now? Mine are all on 1.29.0_r21169 save for my Bloom!

Ah is it easy hide the extension cables? How are yours placed?

I haven’t done that myself, just thought it could be an option for you.
    I’ve 2 light strips in my kitchen, 1 over the units with 3x 1m extensions, and another light strip going around the back of the dresser in the dining room (opposite wall to the light strip over the units) and then 10 colour GU10’s in between them.
    What release are your bulbs on now? Mine are all on 1.29.0_r21169 save for my Bloom!

Same as yours, but the GU10’s have a different firmware to the regular bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Desk is in a corner though so that's not going to work. Plus, have to buy one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

This entertainment could be a great feature if Netflix signed up to it !

This entertainment could be a great feature if Netflix signed up to it !

Absolutely, and confine that SyncMyLights app to the bin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Its a new update, but they told me on face feck, that because this update is so complex (changing how the bulbs communicate with each other), when the bulb is updated, Hue still has to download & install all & every update that was ever issued for that particular bulb (so on older bulbs, it means a lot of updates).

Seems like the bulbs are being completely wiped of everything they ever knew, and re-built from the ground up, and doing it all by themselves!!

Did you have any color bulbs that hue were asking you to exclude from updating?

I have a mix of generations and the app was looking to exclude half of them.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Did you have any color bulbs that hue were asking you to exclude from updating?

I have a mix of generations and the app was looking to exclude half of them.

It showed me 2 bulbs, a new B22 colour and a Bloom (which have never been used since they were added to my set up), and says they are not updateable (only 2 of about 49 bulbs)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It showed me 2 bulbs, a new B22 colour and a Bloom (which have never been used since they were added to my set up), and says they are not updateable (only 2 of about 49 bulbs)

The app excluded the handful of white bulbs I have and the one Innr bulb I use for the front door..

But it asked me to exclude some earlier generation hue color bulbs.. still updateable apparently but they obviously think it's not worth the effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Any recommendations for a cheap E14 alternative. In one room alone I need five. Looking at the Innr https://www.amazon.co.uk/Innr-Candle-Dimmable-Compatible-Philips/dp/B075FWMKF9/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1515623578&sr=8-4&keywords=philips+hue+E14

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭thecivvie

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a cheap E14 alternative. In one room alone I need five. Looking at the Innr https://www.amazon.co.uk/Innr-Candle-Dimmable-Compatible-Philips/dp/B075FWMKF9/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1515623578&sr=8-4&keywords=philips+hue+E14

The IKea E14 smart bulbs are only €7. I plan to get 4 on Saturday if in stock

Join Ireland Weather Network

thecivvie wrote: »
    The IKea E14 smart bulbs are only €7. I plan to get 4 on Saturday if in stock

Looks like they're out of stock so might be a wasted trip.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/lighting/smart-lighting/tr%C3%A5dfri-led-bulb-e14-400-lumen-wireless-dimmable-warm-white-chandelier-opal-white-art-60365271/

Great price though. Might be able to sort out all the bulbs by next year :rolleyes: 11 in hall and landing, another 5 in dining room, another 5 in living room.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Looks like they're out of stock so might be a wasted trip.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/lighting/smart-lighting/tr%C3%A5dfri-led-bulb-e14-400-lumen-wireless-dimmable-warm-white-chandelier-opal-white-art-60365271/

Great price though. Might be able to sort out all the bulbs by next year :rolleyes: 11 in hall and landing, another 5 in dining room, another 5 in living room.
    The app shows them as coming in tomorrow

thecivvie wrote: »
    The app shows them as coming in tomorrow

Buy buy buy!!!

Very annoying that only certain products are offered for delivery!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Got my two bulbs delivered today. The app is not as impressive as I thought, but overall great idea.

I had to log on my laptop to set up Harmony with the lights. I was expecting the lights to show up as a device rather than separate activity, but still pretty cool regardless.

Will look into adding Ikea etc bulbs into the system. While I found it expensive, it appears to be well designed and a ready to go system.

The two bulbs I got were to see what the system is capable of and left me impressed so far. Some limitations I found are annoying, but can't wait to add two or three colour lights to have some fun with it :)

Colour bulbs as well as white ambiance bulbs really bring the system
    Into its own

I picked up one of the new Ikea Colour bulbs with switch. Integrated with the Hue Bridge no issues out of the box. Switch also.
    With the hue app, it is possible to control all the features of the bulb., colour etc. Google Home will not control the colour, though it responds that it has. GH will turn the bulb on and off
    Stringify says it is not supported, although my night time and morning flows turn the bulb on and off. IFTTT can control the bulb with no issues. Added it to my Smartthings and that is good to go.
    Would buy more but wish they didn't include the switch as I have enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

do the Ikea wireless dimmer and motion sensor work with the basic Hue white lights?

• Advertisement

ablelocks wrote: »
    do the Ikea wireless dimmer and motion sensor work with the basic Hue white lights?

Got the dimmer to work. See no reason why the motion detector won't.

Advertisement