Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ablelocks wrote: »
    thanks, didn't realise that, i assumed it was just the alexa control that would go.

the ikea switches will be going back at the weekend.

I will say though, I have no direct experience of this, as I have only Hue products installed, but I've read quite a bit on this, and others in this forum have said the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭thecivvie

thanks, didn't realise that, i assumed it was just the alexa control that would go.

the ikea switches will be going back at the weekend.

I have Ikea switches on my Hue setup and they don't take the lights away from the Hue or GH. I have 4 now

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Have you been using any 3rd party apps (i.e. not the official hue app) so far?

I had issues where i would use a 3rd party app and subsequently use the official app, but the bulb wouldn't respond to the official app instruction.

A reset of the hub would have sorted that i imagine, but something to keep in mind when trying to diagnose what might be the issue.

No. was just using the official app. I did try other apps after to see if the problem persisted, which it did. I did deactivate all apps in the meethue website after reseting everything.

Not sure when doing everything did I try it in a different light, something to look at when home this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

THE ALM wrote: »
    No. was just using the official app. I did try other apps after to see if the problem persisted, which it did. I did deactivate all apps in the meethue website after reseting everything.

Not sure when doing everything did I try it in a different light, something to look at when home this evening.

Strange alright, i would try what you suggested and if all your lights are in a room/group, try taking the light giving issues out of the room/group to see if it responds the same by itself.

Strange alright, i would try what you suggested and if all your lights are in a room/group, try taking the light giving issues out of the room/group to see if it responds the same by itself.

Each light assigned to a different room so not that. First port of call will be deleting the light and trying elsewhere and go from there. Did send a message on the hue facebook page and, in fairness, they got back to me quickly with the same suggestion. These are the B22 fitting so might not be a great contact in the particular lamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I got the starter kit with colour bulbs a while back and i am using two colour bulbs in my living room, the 3rd colour bulb is still sitting in the box.

Instead of buying a light strip, i was thinking i could use the spare colour bulb behind the tv for bias lighting.

Has anyone used a bulb for bias lighting, and if so what kind off lamp have you used to put the bulb into? Any other tips would be appreciated.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I haven't tried myself, but these Ikea lamps are popular as holders for bulbs:

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/lighting/table-lamps/ikea-ps-2017-table-lamp-white-art-30349616/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Nothing stopping bit of DIY.

Bit of timber and a fixed ceiling light like for bathroom without cable hanging down and place lamp in it.

Looks like I have a dud bulb. Went through a few suggestions from hue support with no luck and gave up last night. Started fresh this morning, reset everything, reset the problem bulb with the dimmer, as I did last night, and unfortunately it is now just flashing on and off which Hue agree must be faulty.

The fun may just be starting as they have asked me to contact the retailer regarding a solution and as that was in Birmingham Airport it might not be straight forward!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

thecivvie wrote: »
    I have Ikea switches on my Hue setup and they don't take the lights away from the Hue or GH. I have 4 now

have you routines set up for the hue lights?

maybe i need to do a re-install or a reset or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

nialldinho wrote:
    I just got an E27 white bulb from Ikea. The on/off 6 times made the blub go off for a split second so thought it was working ok. But the hue app couldn’t find it. However if I turned the bulb off before searching and then turned it on once the search commenced it found it straight away.

This worked perfectly for me for 3 Gu10s that I picked up this evening. They wouldn't appear in hue at all before trying the above. Working fine now with hue motion sensor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just wondering about those if you who have a sensor in the bathroom. Brightness setting for late night tinkle is easy enough. I'm thinking more so of day time when people take showers and whether the light will stay on, provide it detects movement. Don't imagine shower curtain is a huge barrier to that, but you never know. Don't want the turn off to be too short when inactive, but not too long for 3am calls of nature (after they're completed), or even day time too. Walking past the open bathroom door when not in use is likely to set it off too. Positioning issue?

Just wondering about those if you who have a sensor in the bathroom. Brightness setting for late night tinkle is easy enough. I'm thinking more so of day time when people take showers and whether the light will stay on, provide it detects movement. Don't imagine shower curtain is a huge barrier to that, but you never know. Don't want the turn off to be too short when inactive, but not too long for 3am calls of nature (after they're completed), or even day time too. Walking past the open bathroom door when not in use is likely to set it off too. Positioning issue?

I’ve a sensor in the Ensuite, nightlight during the night, and energise during the day with a 5 minute delay to turn off.

At night, to turn off sooner after a little tinkle, I just knok the light off with 1 of our bedside remotes (both of which control the bedroom as well as the ensuite)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭thecivvie

have you routines set up for the hue lights?

maybe i need to do a re-install or a reset or something?

Not in the hue app, but i guess I could check. I do have various IFTTT and Stringify routines for them with no issues.

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I’ve a sensor in the Ensuite, nightlight during the night, and energise during the day with a 5 minute delay to turn off.

At night, to turn off sooner after a little tinkle, I just knok the light off with 1 of our bedside remotes (both of which control the bedroom as well as the ensuite)

To be honest I think that defeats the purpose of the motion sensor to some degree. At the moment you can natively set the brightness of the light that is triggered, and set a different type of light to be triggered during the day compared to during night (if you so wish).

It would be great if you could assign a different length of time for each of day and night phases before the light switches itself off. I just think having to manually turn off the light defeats some of the automation aspect of hue. Likewise having a light stay on for longer than necessary in the middle of the night, for what are almost always quick visits to a bathroom, is a waste of energy.

Uriel. wrote: »
    To be honest I think that defeats the purpose of the motion sensor to some degree. It would be great if you could assign a different length of time for each of day and night phases before the light switches itself off.

This would be nice feature to add alright, I'm hoping V3 of the app addresses this (there are already Hue Labs available that return the lights back to their previously set scene after motion is not detected by the sensor, as opposed to just turning them off.

I don't have to hit the button to knock the light off, as just closing the door kills off 99% of the light, its just that I'm jumping back into bed, and theres a remote right there beside my bedside locker, so I just press it to turn the light off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

I have set up a routine where saying goodnight to Alexa on my amazon echo turns off the sitting room light and turns on the landing light upstairs. Is there anyway to delay this, so that once I trigger the goodnight routine the sitting room light stays on for, say, 60 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

cletus wrote: »
    I have set up a routine where saying goodnight to Alexa on my amazon echo turns off the sitting room light and turns on the landing light upstairs. Is there anyway to delay this, so that once I trigger the goodnight routine the sitting room light stays on for, say, 60 seconds

I'm pretty sure you could do this through something like stringfy. Bk has described having something like it before

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

What we have done is set the sensor to turn off 5 minutes after no activity. Which is fine for regular toilet visits.

Baths/showers are troublesome and initially the light went out, but I came up with a solution to it.

There is routine in the Hue labs section callled "Do Not Disturb" that says, if the lights are already on due to being manually set, then the motion sensor won't over-ride it. Or to say it another way, the motion sensor only works when all related lights are off.

You could trigger this manual scene one of a number ways, a Hue Dimmer switch, app, voice.

What I actually did is put a Google Home Mini in the bathroom and created a stringify routine that does the following when we trigger a shortcut called "Hey Google, bathtime":

- It turns on a scene where the lights are nice and dim and a candlelight colour.
    - The above means that the motion sensor is temporarily disabled.
    - Plays a bathtime playlist on sportify
    - The routine ends after 30 minutes and returns to the motion sensor.

Obviously you can adjust to suit your own needs.

Easiest way to do it is probably just a Hue Dimmer switch to over-ride the motion sensor.
    cletus wrote: »

Yes, use Stringify or Yonomi. I use Stringify and I have it gradually dim the lights over 60 seconds. You can also add timers to stringify so it will only turn the lights off after x seconds. I can't remember if Stringify is on Echo, but Yonomi is and can do similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I had a similar issue with our main bathroom, when I had lights set based in motion sensor, there was little logic to it, and while if you are sitting in the throne, 5mins may be ok (or not in some unfortunate cases) but if your in the shower or bathroom then your in trouble.

What I did, now this is not via hue, but if the same concept could work using home assistant or other then it would work well as it has for me.

The bathroom has two sensors, one on the door and then a pir. Both sensors will activate the light and start a timer. But if the pir detects motion and the door sensor is closed, then it stops the timer, so the light remains on.
    When the door is opened again, the timer starts up and light shuts off after timer expires.

What makes it work even better, is an internal spring door closer, so the door is always closed. So the light turns on when you open the door, which is quicker than the pir doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I tried a sensor in the bathroom and it was pretty hopeless at detecting any motion. It's the one I use on the landing (I matched the bulb, etc), so I dunno why it was mostly drawing a blank. I put it on top of the medicine cabinet which is at back wall and straight on ahead as you walk up to the loo. Waving my arms about and not dot out of it most of the time. Same with opening the door. Nada. Dunno. It works well in the landing situation, so. :confused: I stepped into the shower and it was kinda at the wrong angle there to be of use to capture shower motion and entering the room at the same time.

Good to hear some workarounds above.

I’ve mine above the door frame of the ensuite, and sometimes it will even pick up the reflection off the medicine cabinet mirror and activate the light!

Have you tried re-adjusting the sensitivity of the sensor?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Have found mine erratic in main bathroom too, my landing one is poor in pitch dark too, they generally need some kind of light behind you to work well in pitch dark, eg a window even at night is enough to silhouette you against. Mine are at max sensitivity also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

copacetic wrote: »
    they generally need some kind of light behind you to work well in pitch dark

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

bk wrote: »
    What we have done is set the sensor to turn off 5 minutes after no activity. Which is fine for regular toilet visits.

Baths/showers are troublesome and initially the light went out, but I came up with a solution to it.

There is routine in the Hue labs section callled "Do Not Disturb" that says, if the lights are already on due to being manually set, then the motion sensor won't over-ride it. Or to say it another way, the motion sensor only works when all related lights are off.

You could trigger this manual scene one of a number ways, a Hue Dimmer switch, app, voice.

What I actually did is put a Google Home Mini in the bathroom and created a stringify routine that does the following when we trigger a shortcut called "Hey Google, bathtime":

- It turns on a scene where the lights are nice and dim and a candlelight colour.
    - The above means that the motion sensor is temporarily disabled.
    - Plays a bathtime playlist on sportify
    - The routine ends after 30 minutes and returns to the motion sensor.

Obviously you can adjust to suit your own needs.

Easiest way to do it is probably just a Hue Dimmer switch to over-ride the motion sensor.

Yes, use Stringify or Yonomi. I use Stringify and I have it gradually dim the lights over 60 seconds. You can also add timers to stringify so it will only turn the lights off after x seconds. I can't remember if Stringify is on Echo, but Yonomi is and can do similar.

Just wanted to pick your brains on this one as I just installed a new motion sensor tonight.

So I have a lab at the moment that turns on a landing light at sunset to full brightness until midnight and then it turns off until the following sunset.

So I want to maintain my sunset to midnight on scene but also want the new motion sensor to turn on the same landing night if motion is detected from 00.01 to 7.30, and to turn off again after 3 minutes.

Problem I have is now the sensor is overriding my sunset to midnight scene and turning the lamp off after 3 minutes.

So I see you mentioned the Do not Disturb scene which I assume can solve this issue? The only thing is the process isn't clear in labs

It gives me options for one, two or three time slots and had different day, evening or night slots depending on the number I choose and the scene to set for each. Really not sure how to set up I what I want.

Any advice appreciated

Uriel. wrote: »
    Problem I have is now the sensor is overriding my sunset to midnight scene and turning the lamp off after 3 minutes.

So I see you mentioned the Do not Disturb scene which I assume can solve this issue? The only thing is the process isn't clear in labs

It gives me options for one, two or three time slots and had different day, evening or night slots depending on the number I choose and the scene to set for each. Really not sure how to set up I what I want.

Basically by selecting this lab, the sensor will never turn your lights off during the sunset to midnight.

The other settings indicate what it should do at other times of the day. I'd say you could set a single time slot, with the sensor turning the lights off after 3 minutes. Setting the daylight sensitivity should mean it won't come on most days.

That should give you what you want. So:
    - Sunset routine already setup, sunset to midnight
    - Do Not disturb routine set to:
    -- One time slot
    -- Turn off light after 3 minutes
    -- Daylight sensitivity set so it doesn't come on during the day.

Just as an update to anybody purchasing in the UK and then running into a problem.

A week down the line and I am slightly further on with a faulty bulb. Went through all suggestions with Hue Support to come to the conclusion the bulb is faulty and to contact where I purchased.

Initially sent an email on Thursday to Team Knowhow and as I didn't get a response I phoned on Monday to be told that I could bring it to a local pc world/currys store. Looking at there website the white/colour ambiance starter kit or bulb are not listed so I figure I better phone to see if they have said bulb or can get it. Phoning the 1890 number brings you back to the UK to be told to bring it to a local store. Found a number for the Galway store but no answer to that number. Contacted the Carphone Warehouse store in Athlone as there are part of the same group to be told that they, being it carphone warehouse currys or pcworld, couldn't replace a faulty product from the UK.

Figured I phone Birmingham airport where I purchased it. Helpful chap said no problem to bring the bulb to a local store. Meanwhile I posted a message to the respective Team Knowhhow and Curry's Ireland facebook pages.

Got a response from the email sent on Thursday to see if the problem was resolved or they could call me if any further problems, asked for a call back.

Got a response from the Curry's Ireland facebook message to say they will contact Galway to see if they could exchange the bulb.

Got a call from Team Kowhow on Tuesday after replying to email to say that I couldn't get a replacement in Ireland and as Birmingham Airport have different terms a faulty product could not be sent back. The only solution is a refund on the cost of a bulb or to bring it to a UK store.

Got a further reply from Curry's Ireland facebook to say they are still waiting to hear from Galway.

Comical really as depending on who you talk to you get a different response. Thankfully I should be in the North in a couple of weeks and will bring the bulb with me for exchange which, I have been told, will not be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Hey Gang

dipping toe into hue, have a lightstrip and some white ambience on the road to me but

need some colour bulbs is this a good value deal

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7388402/specialoffers/E26126

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

BobMc wrote: »
    Hey Gang

dipping toe into hue, have a lightstrip and some white ambience on the road to me but

need some colour bulbs is this a good value deal

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7388402/specialoffers/E26126

For 150£ its not a bad deal at all.
    Cheapest for the colour bulbs at the minute is amazon at 37.99£gbp (i think)

So 4 bulbs and a motion Sensor (normally 30£) for 150£ is good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

Folks wondering has anyone had a problem like this. I have 14 hue bulbs (white ambience and light strip) and 3 motion sensors. i have noticed the last while that one particular room - my hall which has 6 white ambience bulbs - seems to have a cool off period where the sensor does not trigger the lights.

What i mean by this is the sensor works perfectly the first time it is disturbed and dark enough etc etc but if the lights turn off again and i walk through the hall (say 5 minutes after they have turned off) the sensor does not turn them back on. This only seems to happen shortly after they have turned off but i cannot figure out why. It only happens this room and ironically the hall would be obviously one of the busier areas of the house so it is annoying. The gas thing is if i go upstairs where the other sensor is the hall lights will then come on as normal (both sensors turn on the hall lights).

Any idea's?

Advertisement