Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

flangemeistro I don't know if it will do exactly what you want. But check out iConnectHue of iPhone/iPad. It supports far more advanced programming of the switch.

What I've done for my child's room is program the top and bottom button to switch on/off and main ceiling lights (white) while we use the two middle buttons to switch on/off our Hue Bloom light in red for a night light.

Gives a similar effect to what you want I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Hi guys I'm looking for a bit of advice with my hue dimmer switch.
    I have two hue bulbs in my ceiling light and I have a bloom on each locker.
    Ideally what I want is on the first press for the two blooms to come on nightlight for when we're getting up for the night feeds on the second press for the blooms to stay off and for the ceiling light to come on dim and on the third pres want all lights to come on Bright.
    It's not letting choose off as an option for any of the lights though so on the first press the blooms and the ceiling lights are all coming on as dimmed.
    I'm surprised the option isn't there to keep certain lights off for certain presses,
    Anyone have a way around this or recommend a third party app that I can do this in?
    Thanks

I don't know if you've an iPhone or not, but with the Apple Home app, I've setup scenes that I can activate from the widget in the quick access bar on the phone. I know you can do routines/etc in other apps.

But you can configure all the bulbs in a room to some presets based on what you want.

I've a "movie" mode which turns off all the lights except for the bloom behind the tv (sets it to a nice low %). Or "Interval" for the break sets all lights in living room to 40% brightness.

yS3gL8l.jpg
    Found this random image off the net that shows it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have a strange issue with my Philips Hue system today. When I try to use the app I get a “no hue connection” message after it times out. Remote viewing of cameras is working so I know that the internet is ok. Is this a common issue? I haven’t had Hue that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

2011 wrote: »
    I have a strange issue with my Philips Hue system today. When I try to use the app I get a “no hue connection” message after it times out. Remote viewing of cameras is working so I know that the internet is ok. Is this a common issue? I haven’t had Hue that long.

Have you previously been able to control the lights from outside your home network (i.e. on 3G/4G).

Are you still logged into your account on the Hue app?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Have you previously been able to control the lights from outside your home network (i.e. on 3G/4G).

Yes.
    Are you still logged into your account on the Hue app?

It logged me out!!!
    That never happened before.
    Thanks, all good now.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    It logged me out!!!
    That never happened before.

Thats odd alright, hasn't happened me in over 4 years of having Hue

New 'Friends of Hue' light switches anyone?

Philips-Hue-Lightswitch-UK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

Hi guys I'm looking for a bit of advice with my hue dimmer switch.
    I have two hue bulbs in my ceiling light and I have a bloom on each locker.
    Ideally what I want is on the first press for the two blooms to come on nightlight for when we're getting up for the night feeds on the second press for the blooms to stay off and for the ceiling light to come on dim and on the third pres want all lights to come on Bright.
    It's not letting choose off as an option for any of the lights though so on the first press the blooms and the ceiling lights are all coming on as dimmed.
    I'm surprised the option isn't there to keep certain lights off for certain presses,
    Anyone have a way around this or recommend a third party app that I can do this in?
    Thanks

will the Tap switch do the trick? I always assumed that's why there was a tap switch to select between 3 scenes and the dimmer switch for normal operation (on/off, Dimm, link to lights)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

finally!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

This is exciting, looks like a proper solution for wall switches.

I can't find many details on what will be available, except that there are three manufacturers involved and are releasing in q4 this year.
    Have you any links other than this

Be interesting to see if they work with dumb bulbs as a wired smart switch and with two+ way switching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

bk wrote: »
    flangemeistro I don't know if it will do exactly what you want. But check out iConnectHue of iPhone/iPad. It supports far more advanced programming of the switch.

What I've done for my child's room is program the top and bottom button to switch on/off and main ceiling lights (white) while we use the two middle buttons to switch on/off our Hue Bloom light in red for a night light.

Gives a similar effect to what you want I think.

Cheers for that.
    Do you know if there's an Android equivalent as I don't do Apple.
    Thanks

paulbok wrote: »
    This is exciting, looks like a proper solution for wall switches.

I can't find many details on what will be available, except that there are three manufacturers involved and are releasing in q4 this year.
    Have you any links other than this

Be interesting to see if they work with dumb bulbs as a wired smart switch and with two+ way switching

I initially saw it on their Facebook page, and then just did a quick google yesterdayvto fine a photo/link to post here,

Certainly interesting time ahead for Hue

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Cheers for that.
    Thanks

Sorry, I don't think there is. At least no app quiet as good.

Perhaps you have a family or friend with an iPhone/iPad that you can temporarily borrow and use? You only need it for the initial setup.

I initially saw it on their Facebook page, and then just did a quick google yesterdayvto fine a photo/link to post here,

Certainly interesting time ahead for Hue

Yes, it is really interesting that they are partnering to do this. It would mean we could end up with a wide variety of options and more likely get a UK/Irish solution quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

bk wrote: »
    Yes, it is really interesting that they are partnering to do this. It would mean we could end up with a wide variety of options and more likely get a UK/Irish solution quicker.

As they have partnered with existing manufacturers, I wonder will the switches be followed by wall sockets?

I'll be keen to get the switches, don't specifically need controlled sockets, but one or two in the house could be put into use.
    Be interesting to see the price point for the switches, I'd expect the €40-50 range for a 1 gang dimmer. Any dearer and the g2 lightwave rf gear is comparable, aside from the hub.

Between these and the outdoor lights, I better start saving for Q4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Cheers for that.
    Thanks

All 4 hue, not as good though. Has all the same options but just a little bit harder to figure
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.renewahl.all4hue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

paulbok wrote: »

Between these and the outdoor lights, I better start saving for Q4

I've been throwing £10 a week into my Amazon account since last Black Friday. Should have around £500 available to splurge on toys depending on which week it falls this year. :D

Although I'm considering buying some GU10s to finish off the house now that they're on special

Posted in the BA thread, but said I'd post it here as well;

Amazon U.K. (but possibly only for Prime members)

Hue Dimmer Switch - down to £15.99
    Hue Motion sensor - down to £30.03
    Hue White Ambiance GU10 Twin Pack - down to £42.39 (and with the 3 for 2 deal, you can get 6 of them for £84.78)
    Hue White & Colour Ambiance E14/E27 twin pack - £71.07 (again in the 3 for 2 deal, you can get 6 of them for £142)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

Posted in the BA thread, but said I'd post it here as well;

Amazon U.K. (but possibly only for Prime members)

Hue Dimmer Switch - down to £15.99
    Hue Motion sensor - down to £30.03
    Hue White Ambiance GU10 Twin Pack - down to £42.39 (and with the 3 for 2 deal, you can get 6 of them for £84.78)
    Hue White & Colour Ambiance E14/E27 twin pack - £71.07 (again in the 3 for 2 deal, you can get 6 of them for £142)

Argos Ireland had a in store special offer on Philips Hue Bulbs 3 for price of 2 so for example each GU10 was working out at €40 each.

Argos Ireland had a in store special offer on Philips Hue Bulbs 3 for price of 2 so for example each GU10 was working out at €40 each.

Problem with Argos is you’ll never find 3 of any bulb type in stock in a store!

And Amazon deal prices still pi$$ all over Argos prices. (Those GU10’s I posted above are working out at €16 each)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

Problem with Argos is you’ll never find 3 of any bulb type in stock in a store!

And Amazon deal prices still pi$$ all over Argos prices. (Those GU10’s I posted above are working out at €16 each)

Yes I was picking up bulbs one at a time when I saw the offer went up to customer service the girl reserved 15 GU10 colour bulbs for me they arrived in 3 days later and I paid for 10 got 15. The Amazon price is great but can you tell me where I can get GU10 2nd gen for €40 the bulbs for €16 each are not colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

I have a weird thing happen with Google home today. I added a new bulb, and told Google to sync my devices, and it's added the default hue scenes as devices. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Going to be starting a renovation/extension soon and like the look of linear suspension lights for above the kitchen table:

msyp7s.jpg

I was thinking of using a hue strip behind a diffuser and getting all the various hardware from here. There's even the option of powder coating in any RAL colour you want.

2njx550.jpg

Just wondering if anyone had experience of using a hue strip in this kind of application?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

I have lights like that, 5 meters recessed into the ceiling.

I got them of MarcLed. I love them . Try to get the deepest you can find if you're going to see the bottom them. Mine are 4cm deep and they're a bit dotty.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Hi there folks,
    I have just installed my first few Philips Hue bulbs and I am having a proBlem with the routines not shutting off at the allotted time!
    I have the following setup
    3 White & colour bulbs
    1 White Bulb
    Bridge
    Dimmer Switch

I am using the Philips Hue App on an iPad and iPhone to control everything. The routine starts at the allotted time but remains on. I have three routines set up.
    Routine 1 turns on on 1 colour and 1 white bulb in living room.
    Routine 2 turns on 1 colour bulb on the landing.
    Routine 3 turns on 1 colour bulb in the child’s room.
    I ha.ve to use the dimmer switch in the living room to turn off the light there when going to bed because the routine is not working.

Sorry for the long winded post but would appreciate some help as the routines were the big selling point for me.

Many thanks

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Hi there folks,
    I have just installed my first few Philips Hue bulbs and I am having a proBlem with the routines not shutting off at the allotted time!
    I have the following setup
    3 White & colour bulbs
    1 White Bulb
    Bridge
    Dimmer Switch

I am using the Philips Hue App on an iPad and iPhone to control everything. The routine starts at the allotted time but remains on. I have three routines set up.
    Routine 1 turns on on 1 colour and 1 white bulb in living room.
    Routine 2 turns on 1 colour bulb on the landing.
    Routine 3 turns on 1 colour bulb in the child’s room.
    I ha.ve to use the dimmer switch in the living room to turn off the light there when going to bed because the routine is not working.

Sorry for the long winded post but would appreciate some help as the routines were the big selling point for me.

Many thanks

Have you selected in each routine to turn off the lines at a selected time?

or have you set up a completely new routine to turn the lights off? (if you're doing it like this, make sure that you select what you want to happen at the given time, i.e. turn lights off)

I have separate routines for turning the lights on, and off, as when you have a routine that turns lights on, and then off later, it doesn't let you set a fade for turning them off, only when they are turned on! thats Why I have completely separate routines for on, and off, as it allows me to fade the lights off.

or have you set up a completely new routine to turn the lights off? (if you're doing it like this, make sure that you select what you want to happen at the given time, i.e. turn lights off)

I have separate routines for turning the lights on, and off, as when you have a routine that turns lights on, and then off later, it doesn't let you set a fade for turning them off, only when they are turned on! thats Why I have completely separate routines for on, and off, as it allows me to fade the lights off.

Thanks AndyBoBandy for the reply. My three routines are programmed with a start and finish time but I might try the separate routines to see if that solves the problem. Cheers

Thanks AndyBoBandy for the reply. My three routines are programmed with a start and finish time but I might try the separate routines to see if that solves the problem. Cheers

Well that worked Andy so thank you. Set the light up on separate routines for switching on and another to switch off😀

ANother question if you don’t mind. I was reading back through the posts and saw your bloom located behind your tv and I thought “that looks great” but I was looking online and there seems to be different versions of the bloom. I see one on littlewoods for €69 https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/philips-hue-bloom-works-with-alexa/1600093236.prd but there are different versions on Amazon. Is it Just marketing or different generations of product? Thanks

Well that worked Andy so thank you. Set the light up on separate routines for switching on and another to switch off😀

ANother question if you don’t mind. I was reading back through the posts and saw your bloom located behind your tv and I thought “that looks great” but I was looking online and there seems to be different versions of the bloom. I see one on littlewoods for €69 https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/philips-hue-bloom-works-with-alexa/1600093236.prd but there are different versions on Amazon. Is it Just marketing or different generations of product? Thanks

I had to add the off timer in a lot of my ‘on’ routines as I had so many routines and the Hue hub was getting filled up with so many of them!!

That Bloom on Littlewoods is the correct Bloom, as are the ones you see on Amazon

(Note though if you see one that comes with a little white remote, it’s not a Hue Bloom but rather a regular ‘non hue’ Bloom, they can be hacked to work with Hue systems though just bear in mind this before you buy one because it seems quite cheap)

The Hue Bloom hasn’t changed since day 1, only the box it comes in has been updated over the years.

Post a link for any Bloom your looking at up here or the other hue thread, and someone will confirm your getting the right one.

• Advertisement

I had to add the off timer in a lot of my ‘on’ routines as I had so many routines and the Hue hub was getting filled up with so many of them!!

That Bloom on Littlewoods is the correct Bloom, as are the ones you see on Amazon

(Note though if you see one that comes with a little white remote, it’s not a Hue Bloom but rather a regular ‘non hue’ Bloom, they can be hacked to work with Hue systems though just bear in mind this before you buy one because it seems quite cheap)

The Hue Bloom hasn’t changed since day 1, only the box it comes in has been updated over the years.

Post a link for any Bloom your looking at up here or the other hue thread, and someone will confirm your getting the right one.

Thanks again Andy, but here is what I mean about different Blooms,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Livingcolours-16-million-controllable-compatible/dp/B00HZVQ8DA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1523291203&sr=8-2&keywords=Philips+hue+bloom&dpID=411DVnH76xL&preST=_SX342_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Personal-Lighting-Colour-Changing/dp/B00KDG58BC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523291203&sr=8-1&keywords=Philips+hue+bloom&dpID=41P2xnM2kzL&preST=_SX342_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Note the different description, one being Personal Lighting and the other being Livingcolours, and of course almost £20 didderence in the price. I hope the links are working :)

Advertisement