Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Marlow wrote: »
    Yep .. they're a good job. And they are 13A rated. If I recall correctly, the Hue equivalent is only rated 300W.

I have similar fittings in the bar. I'd say you be struggling to fit 3rd gen, but 4th gen will fit. Ikea Trådfri will also fit, but can't be got in color, when it's GU10.

Now .. here's the culprit: it's real tight. I was fighting getting the darn things in there.

In the end, I pulled the fitting out (it's just held in there with two spring loaded clips, that tilt, fitted the bulb in the fitting and then pushed the whole shebang back up together.

Otherwise you'll be hours at it getting that metal retention spring to sit tight.

/M

Thanks will look whenever this thing that everyone speaks of passes

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Marlow wrote: »
    Nowhere near the same lumen though.

The Lily is 600 lumen focused in one direction.
    The Lily XL is 1050 lumen focused in one direction.

The only thing you can compare it to is the GU10 smart bulb and that's only 350 lumen. So you need 2 lamps and 2 bulbs to achieve the same light as a Lily. And you need 3 of each to achieve the same light as a Lily XL.

Also: Life time of a Lily and Lily XL is 25000 hours. Life time of a GU10 Hue is 15000 hours.

Your penny pinching is going to cost you on the other end for more hassle and still going to cost you the same over the life-time of the bulb or lamp. The bulb may even die earlier, because it's not designed for outdoor.

/M

Yes I understand that but some fittings are pretty much the same...

As in E27 lamp holder ones and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Yes I understand that but some fittings are pretty much the same...

As in E27 lamp holder ones and such.

You still won't get the same result nor longetivity.

/M

Thanks will look whenever this thing that everyone speaks of passes

Take the bulb out and see, if it's held in by clip retentioners. Should be easy enough to see. If it is, the easiest way is to remove the whole assembly, as I said.

Gen 4 bulbs are easily identified, too. They will have the bluetooth logo on the packaging. Gen 3 and before not.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

hi folks, looks like i have bricked my second bridge, i was messing around with somethings and the access point it was connected to rebooted unexpectedly and once again i cannot get it to connect to my network, have factory reset, tried different cables, different switches but its no dice, its beyond annoying.

dont know if anyone has ever successfully got one working again? network light is on even when theres no ethernet cable attached, when cable is attached it doesnt show up on the network nor will it connect to the internet.

failing a solution does anyone had a bridge to sell??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Looking for some inspiration for a spare hue striplight that I have.

We have a white strip above the kitchen counters already and I have a colour strip in the tv room at ceiling height above the screen.

Everywhere else I can think of (mainly under the kitchen counter lip) is a pain to get the power cable to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Alkers wrote: »
    Looking for some inspiration for a spare hue striplight that I have.

We have a white strip above the kitchen counters already and I have a colour strip in the tv room at ceiling height above the screen.

Everywhere else I can think of (mainly under the kitchen counter lip) is a pain to get the power cable to.

I have one under a window sill, looks great

In the livingroom, I've put color strips behind one of the cabinets, at the very top and behind the piano, a the top. These light against the wall.

Also, we have 2 corner cabinets, that have lights in the top section, but none in the open section. So one of them had a lip at the top of the open section, where I stuck a color strip behind it.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Home Assistant and Hue

With Philips dropping support for v1 bridges, it is a matter of time when Amazon and Google will completely drop support for those v1 bridges too.

Home Assistant - a home automation software - currently leverages emulation of v1 hue bridge to allow local integration with Google Assistant and Alexa... This functionality is going to stop working soon I am afraid.

I would like to implement new emulation layer - but don't have an actual Hue. I am thus looking for someone with Philips Hue Bridge v2 willing to execute a few curl commands from time to test how actual Hue works. It shouldn't take longer than 10-15 mins (at the first iteration at least ;)) and no unique information (like mac addresses or serial numbers) would make into the emulation layer.

Contact me on PM if you're willing to help out.

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08B5YNKW3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I just bought one of these. I guess this has a v1 bridge so is it a bad buy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08B5YNKW3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Yes, the hue bridge v1 is end of life

No bridge in that pack

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I have two new unused bridges if anyone is interested, they came along with 3 bulbs that i am using.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

like others said it has no bridge.
    The hue bulb will be controllable though because Echo Plus has a built-in Zigbee hub to easily set up and control your compatible smart home devices, and an improved sound for streaming music.

However I dont think the built in zigbee hub can use the full functionality of hue bulbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I have two new unused bridges if anyone is interested, they came along with 3 bulbs that i am using.

How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Was in the attic earlier and found an unopened GU10 starter kit. 3 bulbs and a bridge.

Figure it’s up ther three years as that’s the last time I bought any.

Whoops!!

Bulbs will be used in a new planned extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Anyone ever had issues with a light constantly turning itself on? One of my white ambiance B22s has a mind of its own for the last few weeks and turns on randomly throughout the day/night. I've checked all routines and labs and nothing includes this bulb!

Anyone ever had issues with a light constantly turning itself on? One of my white ambiance B22s has a mind of its own for the last few weeks and turns on randomly throughout the day/night. I've checked all routines and labs and nothing includes this bulb!

Was it updated?

If it persists try delete and re add

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Hi all, I bought a lightstrip and 2 extensions. I only want to use 1 metre of the original lightstrip so cut along the scissor mark however cannot figure out how to attach the extension (using a connector cable). Any decent videos you recommend or a step by step guide? Hoping I haven't cut in the wrong place, but why would they put a scissor mark if not meant to cut at exactly that point?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Hi all, I bought a lightstrip and 2 extensions. I only want to use 1 metre of the original lightstrip so cut along the scissor mark however cannot figure out how to attach the extension (using a connector cable). Any decent videos you recommend or a step by step guide? Hoping I haven't cut in the wrong place, but why would they put a scissor mark if not meant to cut at exactly that point?

You can't cut the 2m lightstrip+ and then connect extensions to it. It's goosed (unless you are handy with a soldering iron??)

Why would you cut the original 2m one and then want to plug extensions into it? It doesn't make sense.

2m + 2x 1m extensions totals 4m of lightstrip, and you don't need 1m of that 4m run? so why not only add 1 1m extension to it giving 3m in total?

• Advertisement

You can't cut the 2m lightstrip+ and then connect extensions to it. It's goosed (unless you are handy with a soldering iron??)

Why would you cut the original 2m one and then want to plug extensions into it? It doesn't make sense.

2m + 2x 1m extensions totals 4m of lightstrip, and you don't need 1m of that 4m run? so why not only add 1 1m extension to it giving 3m in total?

I have 3 shelves (vertically above each other) that are a metre long each, so wanted a 1 metre lightstrip under each and had bought connection cables to connect them up the wall.

The strip won't be going 3 metres horizontally, it is 3 x 1m I was looking for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think the extension leads are to lengthen the standard strip not lengthen a shortened strip, I think cutting a strip is a permanent job unless you are handy with a soldering iron.

I was too trigger happy with the cutting. Nevermind, have put the 1 metre strip under the mantlepiece now and have ordered another 2 metre strip.

Addictive stuff this Hue!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Addictive stuff this Hue!

Yep, around Black Friday is a disaster lol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Halloween to have a scary house is great, as is Christmas, I was all set this year to have a St. Patricks day scene setup, have to admit I don't use many of the features that often any more. Saying that, the movement sensors are brilliant, I have 1 outside the front door linked to the outside lights, automatically set to sunrise/sunset, have a lamp in the hall connected to 1 covering the whole hall.

Clareman wrote: »
    Halloween to have a scary house is great, as is Christmas, I was all set this year to have a St. Patricks day scene setup, have to admit I don't use many of the features that often any more. Saying that, the movement sensors are brilliant, I have 1 outside the front door linked to the outside lights, automatically set to sunrise/sunset, have a lamp in the hall connected to 1 covering the whole hall.

I have a feeling that's why 103 children called to my house and we were only moved in a few months but I had been buying and buying to purposely have bulbs and the rest for when we did eventually get our 1st own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Just to note, the new lightstrip will allow cutting and reconnecting of cut pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

Hi,

I’m getting my kitchen spotlights upgraded from GU5 Halogen to GU10 Hue LED. I will be using Hue dimmer switches. The current lights have the attached dimmer plate and knob (dimensions 85mm width & length).

The hue dimmer switch dimensions are 8.8 x 7.5 x 16.5 cm.

What are your suggestions to make the changeover so that it’s safe and looks well? I’m happy to just get a blank plate that covers the existing hole but I’d like one which integrates the hue dimmer switch.

The ones I’ve seen online go over the existing flick switches but I don’t have that style and I’ve no need to keep that dimmer knob anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

Thanks but isn’t that for covering over switches? I think a blank plate would be better?

Advertisement