Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Public Service job while pregnant

• 09-11-2016 8:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11

I'm currently on a public service job panel and am expecting to be called sometime early next year. However I suspect that I may be pregnant (too early to test). If I am pregnant, and I do get offered the job, am I still entitled to come back after maternity leave, even if I'm on a probationary period? Could they withdraw the offer if I told them? This is a permanent clerical job in a local authority. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Iamhere

I'm currently on a public service job panel and am expecting to be called sometime early next year. However I suspect that I may be pregnant (too early to test). If I am pregnant, and I do get offered the job, am I still entitled to come back after maternity leave, even if I'm on a probationary period? Could they withdraw the offer if I told them? This is a permanent clerical job in a local authority. Thanks

Last year my wife started in revenue, she was 7 months pregnant, no issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭fits

It shouldn't be an issue now you have been offered the position. Just talk to them about it when you are certain(after 12 weeks)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,897 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I think you may have to complete probation period upon your return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I'm currently on maternity leave while on probation from a civil service position I started while pregnant. I was treated the same as a permanent employee in relation to maternity rights, maternity pay etc. The only difference was my probation has been paused while I'm on maternity leave so I'll have to serve the remainder of it when I go back to work. You don't have to tell them when accepting the offer but even if to did, legally they can't rescind the offer for that reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Broody_Allen

Thanks all, that's very reassuring. I'm just on a panel at the moment so hopefully will actually get an offer before I have to go on maternity leave!

Actually does anyone know if I get offered it while on maternity leave from my current job, would I be disqualified from accepting it based on the fact that I couldn't start right away? Or can they let me start after the statutory leave period ends? These panels can take ages to be filled even though I'm quite high up on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭littlemrs

I just started as permanent CO @ 8 mths pregnant, no problems at all. I believe if you were actually out on maternity leave they would hold the position for you but if you get started before leave you will get full pay on leave. Probation is paused while on leave that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 OnwardsandUpwards

I’m about to be in this situation, but won’t be able to start new role while pregnant. So would you not resign from your current position so that you get all your Mat leave etc and then start new position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You will need to complete probation on your return from ML but your incremental service will continue as normal.

Advertisement