Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropped aftershave on sink

Options
  • 09-11-2016 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

So I recently got a new sink installed in the bathroom. I dropped a bottle of aftershave from the mirrored cabinet today and it broke the ceramic in the basin of the sink pretty badly. Theres a hole prob after the size of 2 x 2 euro coins in the sink

Im wondering if the company would exchange it as IMO it is clearly very weak if a aftershave bottle could smash it up so badly when dropped from shoulder height to waist height. When we got it originally the pedestal was wonky (which was replaced by them) and it was quite a cheap set too so not sure if its just tough luck

Anyone have any experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Done this myself.
    Short answer is no, they won't replace or are under any obligation to rather.

Ceramic is like glass, if it gets a sudden shock it will break.
    I removed shelves over my new sink as a result, lesson learned!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

richy wrote: »
    it was quite a cheap set too.

I would say tough luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You couldn't get harder more toughened bottles than aftershave and perfumes. I don't think you have any case at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

Cheers for replies lads. That was my original thought but friends said that the sink was clearly ****e so i said id try.
    Done this myself.
    Short answer is no, they won't replace or are under any obligation to rather.

Ceramic is like glass, if it gets a sudden shock it will break.
    I removed shelves over my new sink as a result, lesson learned!

Was it a big issue to put in new sink? Im just after getting whole place retiled and obviously the sink is glued to the wall etc. Wondering if it will damage the tiles removing and replacing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I dropped a bottle .... and it broke the ceramic in the basin of the sink pretty badly.

I edited your post - you dropped the bottle. You damaged the sink. It was fine and functional before you dropped the bottle. Besides, perfume and aftershave bottles are quite thick and solid.

I can't see how they would have any liability at all.

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    I edited your post - you dropped the bottle. You damaged the sink. It was fine and functional before you dropped the bottle. Besides, perfume and aftershave bottles are quite thick and solid.

I can't see how they would have any liability at all.

Thanks for putting I in there as people may have thought the sink dropped the bottle on itself. My sink isnt that fancy.

Cheers for replies lads. That was my original thought but friends said that the sink was clearly ****e so i said id try.

Was it a big issue to put in new sink? Im just after getting whole place retiled and obviously the sink is glued to the wall etc. Wondering if it will damage the tiles removing and replacing it.

Is the whole wall tiled or are they cut around sink?
    If it is a tiled wall= no big problem fitting similar sink. Trickier if cut around.

You sink wasn't defective BTW, mine which was expensive was quite thin where it broke. It's the nature of ceramic unfortunately.

Is the whole wall tiled or are they cut around sink?
    If it is a tiled wall= no big problem fitting similar sink. Trickier if cut around.

You sink wasn't defective BTW, mine which was expensive was quite thin where it broke. It's the nature of ceramic unfortunately.

Whole wall is tiled so that should be okay hopefully. Thankfully was a cheap sink and the contractor has to come back to do some more work so can sort that at same time.

The reason I was surprised it broke so easily was because in my family house we have the same set up and I have dropped aftershave probably a half a dozen times into the sink and no breakage but I guess this one could have just hit the weakest point in the sink.

Did you attempt to repair it at all? Looked around online but seems to be more for small cracks rather than missing ceramic.

Whole wall is tiled so that should be okay hopefully. Thankfully was a cheap sink and the contractor has to come back to do some more work so can sort that at same time.

The reason I was surprised it broke so easily was because in my family house we have the same set up and I have dropped aftershave probably a half a dozen times into the sink and no breakage but I guess this one could have just hit the weakest point in the sink.

Did you attempt to repair it at all? Looked around online but seems to be more for small cracks rather than missing ceramic.

Nope, wasn't repairable in any acceptable way and a cut from broken ceramic is filthy.
    Was a cod of a designer sink anyway. The lip was sloped and nothing would sit on it. A pain in a bathroom used by four people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I have dropped aftershave probably a half a dozen times .

To protect your new sink, I would consider buying a **** load of aftershave samples instead of bottles as this clearly is an issue :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement