Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

220 Volt strip Lights in Aquarium hood , dangerous?

Options
  • 09-11-2016 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

my mate has a big aquarium with some older style long strip lights to illuminate the tank, while i was helping him clean the tank yesterday by mistake the central housing hood that holds the strip lights got accidently immersed in the water ! LUCKILY the unit was unplugged , But i was thinking IF he was cleaning the tank with the light on and he inadvertently pushed the light holder hood in to the water while his hands where in the water would he be fried? from what i see it appears to be a double 220 volt strip lighting enclosure attached top the hood that can be easily knocked inot the water as there is no transformer between the lights and the standard household plug :eek: Is there some hidden transformer in the light housing hood or IF while cleaning he touched a live piece of the lighthing enclosure or worst case scenario it fell in the water would the RCD just kick in protect him from being electrocuted?

Advertisement