Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Exam for Garda with Public Jobs

• 09-11-2016 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I must take the Irish exam as set out by Public jobs in December. I have asked many what does it involve, I got e-mail saying it's an oral, written and translation.....but what i'm asking is there anyone after taking this exam and what's it like please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

It's quite hard to get information as it's rare for people to sit it from what I can gather. Just know all the basics is what I guess and get some grinds to try help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ALTHEPAL

PennieRock wrote: »
    I must take the Irish exam as set out by Public jobs in December. I have asked many what does it involve, I got e-mail saying it's an oral, written and translation.....but what i'm asking is there anyone after taking this exam and what's it like please
    I am in the same position as you, however I am not sure when I will be taking the exam as they said they will contact me nearer the time. Can I ask you at what point did they call you for this exam ? as in after what stage and are you from the most recent campaign Sept 2016 or are you from last Jan 2016.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dan 191

This is the only info i could find on the net.....

Irish Language Assessement

As you are aware one of the requirements for the position of Garda Trainee was that candidates must have 2 languages at Leaving Certificate level. If your qualifications do not meet this standard you may apply to be invited to have your level of Irish assessed (both written and oral).

Your assessment will only take place once you have successfully qualified at all other stages of the campaign process. If you qualify at the interview stage your name will be forwarded to Garda HQ to begin processing for the next stage but until such time as you complete and qualify at your Irish Assessment you will not be deemed eligible for the campaign.

1. Oral Assessment (duration 15 minutes)
    This will comprise conversation on ordinary topics with two assessors. You will be expected to demonstrate an understanding of the main points of standard speech on ordinary topics and enter into conversation using frequently used phrases and vocabulary.

You will be assessed on your ability to communicate in the Irish language under the following criteria:
    Fluency, Vocabulary, Grammar and Understanding.

2. Written Assessment (duration 1 hour)
    Section 1 Essay (150 - 200 words)
    Section 2 Comprehension test
    Section 3 Translation from English to Irish

You will be assessed on your ability in written Irish. Criteria may include the following:
    Content, Literacy, spelling, use of language, structure and layout, accuracy and grammar.

Subject to you being successful at this assessment, your name will be forwarded to An Garda Síochána in order to be considered for the next stage.

Success at this stage of the selection process is not to be taken as an indication that the Public Appointments Service or the Garda Commissioner consider your application as fulfilling the full range of essential requirements, and is not a guarantee of acceptance as a Garda Trainee. It should be noted that the final decision on entry into training rests with the Garda Commissioner.

Dan 191 wrote: »
    This is the only info i could find on the net.....

Irish Language Assessement

As you are aware one of the requirements for the position of Garda Trainee was that candidates must have 2 languages at Leaving Certificate level. If your qualifications do not meet this standard you may apply to be invited to have your level of Irish assessed (both written and oral).

Your assessment will only take place once you have successfully qualified at all other stages of the campaign process. If you qualify at the interview stage your name will be forwarded to Garda HQ to begin processing for the next stage but until such time as you complete and qualify at your Irish Assessment you will not be deemed eligible for the campaign.
    Thanks for that, So what about yourself, do you need to take this exam too ? Nightmare having to go back and learn it again ha

Anyone else find it strange they sent out no sample material for us to look over! Has to be one of the worst run stages. Whats this translating part about, I have heard English to Irish but how hard? All the stages are like asking how long a piece of string is with regards topics.

• Advertisement

I don't think they do for this Irish exam, I guess we just have to cover everything ! One more hoop to jump through ha :D

Has anyone got any idea on what way it's corrected. Is it graded over all, or if you fail one section you are out? I'm fairly okay on most bar the translation part afraid I will fail it, and wondering if I fail the entire exam then?

TallGlass wrote: »
    Has anyone got any idea on what way it's corrected. Is it graded over all, or if you fail one section you are out? I'm fairly okay on most bar the translation part afraid I will fail it, and wondering if I fail the entire exam then?

Anyone?

How's everyone getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 paulmeaney

Lost.... Havent done Irish since junior cert and that was a long time ago.... The information that public jobs give out about this section is terrible. Also why don't they do this round on a saturday? struggling to even get the time off work for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 PennieRock

I applied in January

paulmeaney wrote: »
    Lost.... Havent done Irish since junior cert and that was a long time ago.... The information that public jobs give out about this section is terrible. Also why don't they do this round on a saturday? struggling to even get the time off work for it.

Yeah it is definitely one of the stranger stages, every other stage is pretty transparent. I'm a little hopefull about passing. I have put alot of hours into it. Only thing that's poor at the moment is spelling in Irish. I have a tendency to spell as they sound in English. Like 'highage' is how I did spell it , should be 'haghadh' in Irish.

The translation part is the biggest mystery!

Has anyone at all literally any idea how its marked?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Megan7290

I have never heard of any irish exam?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

Megan7290 wrote: »
    I have never heard of any irish exam?!?

If you don't meet the language requirements i.e. The two languages one of which must be English and a second language.
    Most have got Irish passed in the leaving cert or a second language, others who do not have it or failed it have to sit an exam with career services.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Megan7290

Cedric87 wrote: »
    If you don't meet the language requirements i.e. The two languages one of which must be English and a second language.
    Most have got Irish passed in the leaving cert or a second language, others who do not have it or failed it have to sit an exam with career services.

Oh ok I passed in the leaving so I dont have to take it?

No once you pass it in the leaving you are golden.

Any ideas on marking. I have heard a few times now if you do not pass a section you fail it all. But they won't give a definition of a section? Is it oral / writing that are sections or is it oral, writing, comprehension and translation that are sections?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

As long as it's not Foundation Irish you did in your Leaving Cert.
    You may have done French, German, Spanish or some other language, too?
    They and all the others count but one must be English or Irish or it can be both of those only.

PeteK* wrote: »
    As long as it's not Foundation Irish you did in your Leaving Cert.
    You may have done French, German, Spanish or some other language, too?
    They and all the others count but one must be English or Irish or it can be both of those only.

That's the boat I'm in because I sat foundation Irish. I have Spanish but that was junior cert level and my Spanish. For the leaving was part of a course that I passed but it was a half Spanish half business exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

Just wondering how many people actually have to sit these exams?

want2b wrote: »
    Just wondering how many people actually have to sit these exams?

Sorry! Around 30/40

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

Could someone clear this up for me if you get the relevant grades in the leaving cert, you don't have to take these Irish tests do you, thanks in advance, its a d3 or over in ordinary level Irish isn't it, thanks again.

vardy98 wrote: »
    Could someone clear this up for me if you get the relevant grades in the leaving cert, you don't have to take these Irish tests do you, thanks in advance, its a d3 or over in ordinary level Irish isn't it, thanks again.

You are fine once you've passed it in the leaving cert

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

Thanks for your reply Cedric86, I was starting to freak out, I can relax now, cheers.

vardy98 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply Cedric86, I was starting to freak out, I can relax now, cheers.

Haha yeah I'll have to sit it myself but sure I've to do interviews first.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 leixlipgirl

Any word on when the next irish exam is?

I would expect it too be after all the interviews are completed. As in nearly at the end of the OOM. So you could be looking at 6/9 months away. I'd my interview August and then Irish exam December so that might give you a timeline.

I would expect it too be after all the interviews are completed. As in nearly at the end of the OOM. So you could be looking at 6/9 months away. I'd my interview August and then Irish exam December so that might give you a timeline.[/quote great thank you have interview on the 17th of january how did the exam go for you? Any tips?

• Advertisement

I would expect it too be after all the interviews are completed. As in nearly at the end of the OOM. So you could be looking at 6/9 months away. I'd my interview August and then Irish exam December so that might give you a timeline.[/quote

great thank you have interview on the 17th of january how did the exam go for you? Any tips?

Advertisement